Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Ah the days of getting 11 people into a room. Only way it was feasible was everyone was chill and nobody smelled and everyone bathed and cleaned up after ourselves.

These days we do at most 5-6 in a room, but everyone has jobs now so it’s no longer a Doji run charity like the past.

This year we ended up with the Alexander, which is uh... pricey. We’re considering just driving from Noblesville daily if we are unable to do better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

We had uh, I forget the room name but it had the king in one room and the extra room with the couch. Since we’ve done usually 2 doubles with the two couples in the beds and maybe 1-2 people on the floor.

Edit: Anyone looking forward to any releases this year? I plan on spending my time in the DCC Hall again, nothing came out last year that moved my dollars. So far nothing this year is tickling my urge to spend.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 7, 2019

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Is Artemis even worth it now at Gencon? Seems like what few reports I heard the last two years were rather poor for the cost and time.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

I wondered if that was a charity sting operation. Len seemed extremely displeased with his circumstances, whereas you were like "yep so it goes!" Doctor to doctor, you are a good doctor, doctor.

My wife and I were very much room police. What helped was three people would sleep during the day since they did events/Magic all night. Our only issue was the last year we offered this service. A friend who had an event til 1 am came in. People are asleep, he’s sober, no lights are on. In the center of the room is a small table with some chairs, and a hanging light above it. Through sheer stupidity he walks into the table, moves it loudly, and cracks his face on the hanging light, breaking his glasses. The light was fine, but everyone woke up to him swearing loudly.

Good to know! Train’s not an issue since I clunk out hard.

Received word from people in a Facebook Group that it is indeed no longer worth the cost. The scenarios are well done, when they work, but the staff is apparently rude and with rising costs it becomes a question of “this or literally anything else”

Noooo! :( Two years ago we went in and it was fine, that’s a shame. I’d love to get my Galaga fix at a real machine between beers without going to Tappers.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I hope they get a great deal of them fixed before Gencon but I doubt it. I know a few on 465 that have been there for over a year now, preying on unsuspecting tires.

If you drive into Indy for Gencon, be prepared to weave to avoid car destroying holes more than last year. I suggest playing the Oregon Trail and practicing your skills on the final leg where you have to avoid rocks in the wagon while riding the river.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

Ooh, the phrase "Gen Con dollars/hours" suddenly makes me wonder, despite generally encouraging positivity, what was everyone's worst use of time and/or money at Tha G-C?!?

Mine has to be the time I played NASCRAG at my friend's suggestion, and spent the entire time either unable to hear the gamemaster or being forced to sing "wacky" lyric-shifted ABBA songs to advance the plot. They must be doing something right, given their 40+-consecutive year run, but... But.

True Dungeon three years ago is #1 in my books for worst GC/Dollar ratio next to a Killer Breakfast I was dragged to last minute (I did not purchase the ticket, it was a friend’s who was unable to go and the purchaser wanted to fill it). I may of spent zero dollars but I spent time not sleeping that morning to watch his daughter sing and then odd hijinks.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Necronomicon posted:

Somewhat on-topic: what kind of things do you most often wish you had packed once you arrive? Like, "oh poo poo, I can't believe I forgot xxx". And don't say "your badge"

A small pack of wet wipes. Hand sanitizer can only do so much when you enter an elevator and press a button and get a mystery substance on your hand. (This happened last year to me :( )

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

I need to remind myself to never add events late again.

Will Call sucks.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Indie Press Revolution (Booth 1348) has hard copies of Ryuutama the TTRPG for sale for those interested in a copy immediately.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Gencon went well, demo’d a ton of board games and made up for several months of sobriety. Ryuutama looks like a ton of fun and I am excited to find a group to run it for. Introduced some friends to the Battletech Pods, we had a blast.

Had my son with me today and kept him strapped to my chest. He slept for half of today, somehow. Was able to still demo.

Did ole Billy Mitchell actually succeed in his quest to get some high scores? He was there all weekend.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Mental Blocks from Pandasaurus Games was a lot of fun and we ended up grabbing a copy. Probably the best game I had any major interaction with at the convention.

Biggest regret this year is I was super late getting my badge, and I was unable to get into a lot of events. I played the Battletech pods and that was about it, outside of demos and hotel room games.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Erainor posted:

Mental blocks is great! I worry the difficulty could be higher than I’d like.

It made our local group feel incredibly stupid when we first started it! We’ve managed to get through the first set of challenges. I can’t imagine using the traitor rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I could swear it was smaller. Probably all the people that stop in the middle to gawk at stuff.

It felt like they widened the center lanes in some aisles, but the edges seemed smaller for sure. I felt like I was hitting traffic jams more frequently in the 100 and 2300+ ends.