Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pangaea Ultima
Sep 7, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had a really great first Gen Con. Against conventional wisdom I booked a bunch of events, and I ended up having the best time during these ticketed events. I was really interested in getting to actually PLAY some RPGs rather than running them, so I used this as a chance to try out some systems I've been curious about.

Star Trek Adventures: A generic hopeful was there and made adorable 3D printed comm badges for everyone and I felt like a total monster unseating him sliding in a few minutes late. The GM was a goon whose forums name I don't know, but he did a really good job introducing the system and running a solid one-shot. I've never played a 2 D20 game before, but the momentum/threat system is an interesting group currency. I'd like to try to find an online game.

V5: I've played a tiny amount of V20 and V:tR online, but this was my first proper Vampire game. I think the hunger dice mechanic is really cool, and as someone who is new to the system I think this feels like a much less daunting entry point. The GM was kind of a prick to start off with, the pre-gen characters (Malk especially) had some eyerolly edgelord backstory content, and 3 people were on their phones the entire loving game, so I was pretty worried it was going to be a rough 5 hours. But the people who were paying attention were fun and the GM just largely ignored the phone lookers, so I still had a good time.

Geist 2e: This was a really fun game! The GM had obviously put a lot into the one-shot, it was an interesting mystery that was superficial enough to be solved in a short period of time. I didn't know anything about Geist beforehand, but I think this system is super interesting, and maybe a little less nihilistic than the other World/Chronicles of Darkness settings? As with V5 above, I think it's pretty hard to get a feel for the "personal horror" aspect of these games in a one-shot because there's not much of a chance to resolve consequences or constraints for actions in a short setting. But this really felt like a game I could use to entice non-TTRPG people to the table, and I'm excited to try to get a home game going.

I think I didn't really make enough time to demo games in the exhibit hall, despite losing hours at a time wandering around and looming over other people demoing games. I did manage to blow through my budget pretty handily, though.

I'm already thinking about next year! I didn't really get to meet any of you all because I was commuting an hour between Indy and home. Next year I think I'm just going to commit fully to the con and hopefully I can meet more of you and imbibe regrettable Midwestern liquor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU