Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
My housing time sucked again this year (6:30 PM EST), but luckily I grabbed a backup a while back so I'm still downtown. After one year with skywalk access, I'm never going back to airport hotels. You can't make me! (Especially since being a cosplay wrangler sucks when your hotel isn't in walking distance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

In fact, Minnesota is less-often seen as the Midwest than Indiana or Wisconsin. I mean, most coastal-types forget which one is Illinois and which one is Indiana anyway. Jeeze.

Having spent most of my life in the Midwest, I'm going to make the following assertion: Indiana is, in fact, a part of the South.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nooooo why you and WerrWaaa and Admiral Joeslop gotta do this to me :cry: hey as far as I am concerned the South ends at the border of being able to say "heritage not hate" with only 99% dishonesty.

The South starts when you go to a motel and they have biscuits and gravy as just a normal item in a continental breakfast. While I don't have any strong opposition to putting gravy on random food items, biscuits and gravy is not typical midwestern food. I've seen this as far north as I-90 in Indiana, so as far as I'm concerned, the whole state is The South.

Dr. Quarex posted:

I mean, I understand where you are coming from, since I always used to be annoyed by Ohio when driving to/from Illinois from/to New England or the Mid-Atlantic, but Ohio still has virtually endless options for places to stop and at least be able to eat or get gas compared to nearly every state between the West Coast and the Midwest, where there really are hundreds of miles of straight nothingness.

Ohio is not the worst, but southern Ohio sure tries its best. To be the worst.

Wisconsin is the clear front-runner in overall midwest quality though. Not only is it the origin of Gen Con, but it has Wizard Quest. Wizard Quest!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

A heaping helping of cheese curds should innoculate yourself from South-itis.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

My usual is to do a classic D&D adventure, a hobby event or two, some Dark Age stuff (which sadly appears to be a dead game, at least for the time being), and as much Super Robo Rally as I can get. Maybe I’ll do a bit of Arena Rex this year too!

Also, you know, shop for things I don’t need.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

No one in Wisconsin says that.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Wow. I did True Dungeon exactly once and, while I enjoyed it, I feel that was enough for a lifetime.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

If you’re ever in the mood for something like True Dungeon but don’t want to do True Dungeon, you should head to Wizard Quest in the Wisconsin Dells!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Dr. Quarex posted:

Oh snap, I already made plans to go there this summer, I need to remember this. Though somehow I doubt my 2-year-old will get much out of it. He can just take the car and go somewhere else while I am at Wizard Quest.

Wizard Quest is mainly for kids (though a little older than 2), but there’s cool stuff to look at even if your kid can’t do all the, well, questing. If you haven’t read about Wizard Quest already, it’s basically a scavenger hunt with some riddles that you have to solve. There’s a ball pit and some slides and a hall of mirrors, to give you a bit of an idea of what to expect. The real fun is just exploring all the little books and crannies though.

If you like slightly hokey roadside attractions, Wizard Quest is the best. It also manages to feel a lot more like someone’s weird passion project than most stuff in the Dells.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

WerrWaaa posted:

God, please.

So long as they’re at different times of the year so I can go to both. :getin:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I apparently learned a new technique for getting the events I want: forget about event registration for weeks, sit bolt upright in bed this morning and shout, "oh gently caress ME today's event registration", then sign on, manage to avoid the queue, and just buy the stuff I wanted. Somehow I got 2 Super Robo Rally events!

(Note: this may not work if you want hard-to-get events other than SRR, but I always had a hard time getting what I wanted for SRR in previous years...)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Deviant posted:

or i will loving find you. you do not want me to find you.

Just preemptively punish everyone! That way you won't have to find them later. :newlol:

I won't be there sadly since we get in late on Wednesday and I have papercraft crap to glue together for an event...

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Even if the will call line looks long, it will move fast.

I uh... I don't believe you. (We've gotten our tickets mailed to us the last few years after dealing with Will Call lines.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I ran my first event this year! It was pretty nerve-wracking, but it ended up going surprisingly smoothly, and people seemed like they had a good time! (I didn't post about it in this thread since I try to maintain at least a nominal separation between this account and my IRL identity.)

I also got some cool stuff, and Mike Pondsmith even talked to me! He told me I was in the wrong line. :newlol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I don't know if it counts, but I was pretty hype that they had reprints of Night City for Cyberpunk 2020.