Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Hooray football :unsmith: AFLW starts in like three days, I'm super excited :3:

I wanna see Erin Phillips kicking miracle goals again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
The Crows' Irish import, Ailish Considine, is going to debut :3:

Hope she has a blinder!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Just a reminder that Adelaide have Carlton’s 1st round draft pick this year

Also their 2nd round draft pick!

I was hoping to go to the AFLW tonight but first I tore my calf and now I have a loving DVT :( Guess I'll be watching it on TV and elevating my leg.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Funny that both games ended up being a 1-point victory that definitely should have been at least a draw, except a player somehow missed everything from 10m out.

Shame to end up on the wrong side of that one, but I did enjoy the game. Definitely two very different game styles. Good to see Ebony Marinoff back to her 2017 form! Just needed some of her teammates to step up. The Crows women seem to have an abundance of players who are good at getting to the ball but have absolutely no disposal skills. All they're good at is winning it and blindly bustling it forward, regardless of whether a teammate is there to receive it or not.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Yeah, doggies had some big players out, not sure what the crows excuse will be... they were both playing in the heat too.

Crows needed someone to sit at the top of the goalsquare and be a target, far far too many quick shots on goal when they should have gone with a centering kick.

Edit: https://womens.afl/ladder/2019

That seems to be Chloe Scheer's role. She took a couple of nice marks and converted one of them, but unfortunately butchered the second. I do like her though, she's one of the very few players in the Crows side who seems to be a quality kick.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

The second wasn't really a butcher, it was a tough shot from deep in the pocket that just drifted across the face. Eloise Jones shanked a poster from straight out in front, then kicked a point under no pressure in the pocket when she had a team mate unmarked in the goal square with no Bulldog in the same postcode. I was right down the line of all three, standing in the pocket at the grandstand end.

Ailish Considine was a surprisingly good long kick, but she handpasses like someone from Ireland. Likes the rough stuff too, good pick up.

Yeah, fair call, it wasn't a butcher to miss the goal. It was more that we really needed to score at all, and not registering a score was really damaging given the state of the game.

I agree, Jones had some bad moments in front of goal. She's got potential but it's not there yet.

Considine had some great moments, that intercept she made was top class. Kicks it very nicely.

Also, I have a new candidate for worst Bigfooty opinion ever, someone who claimed that they don't like the women's comp but would be interested if they played under AFLX rules.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Cant wait for the salt when they all collectively go back to moggs creek

Yes, Dangerfield was in my mind when I wrote that description too, haha.

Fortunately most of our players are locals so we can look forward to many more years of then burning the ball for us!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

I had assumed her partner was carrying again like with the twins. I don’t know that you could play a full contact sport at any stage of pregnancy tbh

Yes, her wife is carrying again.

You could play at very early stages of pregnancy but generally by the time you're announcing the first trimester is basically over and you wouldn't want to from then.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snoremac posted:

AFLX teams will nominate a “Gatorade game changer” whose scores count for double in the last five minutes.

To be fair, the AFL's new model of "allow some 9 year olds to make up stupid new rules to infuriate fans" is superior to their old model of "allow Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to make up stupid new rules to infuriate fans".

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Their first ever game in the VFL, Round 1, 1987 they scored 3.6 (24)

poo poo club no history

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snoremac posted:

Each team should also have a sleeper cell on the opposing team who activates at the same time.

Finally, a suggestion I can get behind :3:

every single one of them is an ex-Crows player

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I still can't believe the AFL looked at AFLX last year and thought "no, it's good, but what it really needs is some kind of tabletop party card game bullshit".

Seriously, "steal cards"? Also :lol: at Betts not being allowed to have one.

Still, I can see why they want to have this sideshow going on, it's not like there's another AFL season going on right now or anything :doh:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Conferences are loving garbage in all scenarios. They should only be used when there is literally no alternative, like there are more teams than weeks in the year. Would it really have been that hard to just add three more weeks to the season? God forbid we let the AFLW season last longer than the Big Bash League.

But fine, you've decided to go with the conference system because you're a bunch of morons. Who the gently caress okayed putting Collingwood, Carlton, GWS and Geelong in the same conference? Brisbane is literally the only team there that has won more than 50% of its matches so far, and everybody knew that North Melbourne was going to be the stronger of the two new teams. Short of replacing Brisbane with Fremantle, you couldn't have picked a more uneven conference based on the first two seasons, and ironically Freo look okay this year so I guess they found a way to make it even worse!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Also, can someone who has been following this closer than me explain why North Melbourne's AFLW team is so drat strong while Geelong's is just average? They would have had similar concessions, right? North Melbourne look practically unbeatable.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

The crows are safe, Port won't have a team until 2024 or so so they have an exclusive draft zone, yes SA/NT zone might be weaker but if they can convince a player to move to Adelaide and sign up for that draft zone there is no opposition.

Yeah, this was my conclusion too. Every time a new club gets added to the comp that isn't Port, the Crows' position in the comp becomes relatively stronger since our draft pool remains the same as before while the other clubs in the new club's state all become weaker..

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

And yet you all loving whinge about there being ten Victorian teams in the men’s, smdh

Agreed, the Crows will henceforth have exclusive rights to all SA talent.

also port will be disbanded

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

I just looked at the ladder, and every single team in one of the conferences has at least two wins, whereas not one single team in the other conference does. Conferences are a joke. I hope the ladder stays more or less as is, highlight what a joke conferences are, and they get removed.

Unfortunately, with 14 teams next year and no plans to extend the season, conferences are the only thing that can "work".

The problem isn't really conferences as such this year, the problem is that they divided the conferences in literally the worst way possible. And it's not like this was unforseeable. One conference literally contains the last (only) two premiers, a team that just missed out on GF appearances by percentage in both seasons, the new super team that everyone knew was going to be dominant, and Fremantle. Who could have predicted they'd be so dominant, huh? And hey, it turns out Fremantle are great this year.

Meanwhile the other conference contains Carlton who barely won a match last season, Collingwood who have been terrible since AFLW started (oh, and both of them have been raided by North), Geelong who are basically trying to start from scratch by drafting kids, GWS who haven't exactly set the world on fire, and Brisbane. Only one of those teams has been any good the past two seasons, Brisbane, and this year they seem to be off the pace.

Short of maybe swapping Brisbane and Freo, you couldn't have picked a more uneven conference division based on what we knew before the season started. And it turns out that one "good" choice made things even worse.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 18, 2019

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Incidentally, have there been any details released about next year's plans for the fixture?

If they don't want to extend the season, the obvious way to do things is to have two conferences of 7, and everyone plays each other once. The "fair" thing is to have one bye in each conference each week, so in the end each team plays the other six teams once, but I doubt the AFL wants this. So will it be that each team will get "paired up" with exactly one team from the other conference and play against them one round? In a seven week season, the team that gets paired up with, say, Collingwood is going to have a massive advantage over the team that gets paired up with North Melbourne.

It's not like they can divide 14 teams evenly into three or four conferences. I don't really see an alternative to this. Either the teams only play six matches next year instead of seven and we have two byes a week, or we end up with another horribly inequitable situation where finals positions are massively affected by the fixture.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I think that would still necessitate two byes a week, right?

Even when we have 16 teams, the ladder system won't work unless we have enough rounds. It's one thing that the AFL season has uneven numbers of matches (ie you play some teams twice and other teams once) but at least in that system you do play each team once. I doubt the AFL is going to have a 15 week AFLW season.

Frankly, I'm more worried that the AFL is going to cut the comp down to a four week Swiss system tournament once we get to 16 teams.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 18, 2019

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Was expecting that for Scheer

I get the penalty for sling tackles since they can be dangerous, but drat, there's always such a fine line between a textbook tackle and one that just goes a bit too far :( The Crows will miss Scheer bigtime next week.

Somehow I don't even remember the Tayla Harris incident with Randall. What happened there?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Having made the exact same mistake, I can confirm for you that Tayla Harris remains a Carlton player, and hit Giants player Pepa Randall

Haha, go figure. I was thinking to myself, I don't even remember her getting a touch, or even being in the match at all!

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I find it really hard to understand the CD ladder rankings. They're based on statistics, not potential or anything like that, right? So surely the teams that have performed the best (say, for instance, the reigning premiers) would have the best stats and be rated higher? Or, if not, it demonstrates that CD are weighing up their stats incorrectly?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

It's not the team stats, it's the individual player stats, and then the teams players are added together to get one number. Since AFL squads are too big to pull a Golden State Warriors, it means the highest rated squads probably have more middle ranked players than everyone else.

That would explain the Crows being so high. We have an extraordinary number of okay but never going to be a star depth players.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

gay picnic defence posted:

I did wonder if that was the case.

Speaking of AFLX:

Who wrote this?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
As usual you can rely on Bigfooty to have at least one worst take of all time, this time with somebody saying that AFLX is much better than actual football because it's "more like footy was back in the 80s and 90s".

I don't even know where to begin with that one.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

harperdc posted:

but Tex Walker on commentary was absolutely loving dire. he's either a bit weird socially or doesn't know how to translate his usual relationship with guys into TV broadcast-able terms.

My favourite bit was when a commentator (Brayshaw?) asked him to "call it Tex", meaning say whether or not the player was going to kick the goal, but Tex thought they meant that he should literally commentate on the goal instead.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Crows vs Fremantle was a real arm wrestle until around half way through the third quarter and then Fremantle just disintegrated.

The standard of umpiring at AFLW is a real issue. The match today between Crows and Freo was almost destroyed by overzealous umpiring, it felt like there was a whistle at almost every contest with just about any contact resulting in a free kick, often right in front of goal. The Crows enjoyed a ridiculous run of frees in the fourth quarter that snuffed out any hope of a Freo comeback. Freo got a similarly good run in the second quarter. From the sound of things, it wasn't any better in Carlton vs Geelong.

For heaven's sake, the AFL has elected to run the entire competition during the preseason. The highest quality umpires are available. Use them.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Chairchucker posted:

Interested to see if anyone can come even close to North.

I doubt it. I think if Melbourne or Crows play to their fullest potential and North have a bad day, they could potentially sneak a win. Not sure if anyone else really has the capacity to do it. Possibly Brisbane, they're a bit of a mystery to me.

But realistically, North would have to be overwhelming favourites to win the premiership at this stage. Their matches against Melbourne tomorrow and the Crows next week will be very interesting.

The Crows are averaging 63 points over the past three rounds (conveniently ignoring the 1.11 effort from the first round). Nice to see them finally get a bit potent with scoring this year. They only got over 60 points once in 2017 and 2018 combined.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 23, 2019

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

Ah great, Roos play the Crows next week, and a result either way will hurt the demons finals chances. Cool, cool cool.

Don't see how a NM win hurts you. You've got to get past two teams and NM plays both of them. You should want them to win and then beat us in Round 7, right?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Quantum Shart posted:

Titus is the most milquetoast low hanging suburban dad humour there is. He makes up for having no personality by wearing a hat.

Yeah but he's not Sam Newman.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Also I am a dad these days so maybe my humour is also milquetoast low-hanging dad humour, but I generally find Titus pretty funny.

No idea what he's like to listen to live. I just enjoy his tweets. Probably helps that he's a Crows supporter.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

snaeksikn posted:

He's a Demons supporter, but mainly keeps most of that to his podcast

Oh. Well, in that case, I'd prefer Sam Newman.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Quantum Shart posted:

Holy poo poo are you guys seriously trying to position me as defending Sam Newman?! That's a curvier proposition than Carlisle's spine.

You're really insistent on digging your heels in here, huh? Stuck on defending a bad position and accusing everyone else of being too uptight about it...

It kinda reminds me of someone....

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Somehow I totally missed the whole "we're doing LED screens" thing until this weekend and I still haven't figured out why. What are they supposed to replace? Are runners not allowed to speak now?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Maybe I missed it, but other than the occasional "runner gets in the way of the play" thing which is usually a free kick anyway, what were runners doing that was so bad that they need to be prevented from being on the field?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

7725 was the official crowd at Unley today, but I didn't see anyone counting on the way in. Fair old roar every time Phillips got the ball too.

Where did you watch the game from cmndstab?

I was in the grandstand on the wing, right near the GWS coaches box. Took my dad along, it was his first AFLW game :3: He wasn't sure about AFLW to start with in 2017 but he's become a big fan of Randall and Phillips. Obvious choices but the correct choices too.

Unley oval is a gorgeous ground, lovely view of the hills. There was a guy with a clicker when I came in so they were counting attendance.

GWS came to play, to their credit. Flooded back a bit and then pressured the midfield to make our entries poor, and mopped up for three quarters before the floodgates finally opened.

A Crows win next week will give them a home final and potentially a home GF. If they lose, they need to keep it under four goals to hold Melbourne out and sneak into second, barring a Freo-North draw.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

Prespakis 27 disposals.

Rising star for sure.

Yeah, hard to see anyone else getting it. She's a gun and tough as nails.

Stevie-Lee Thompson seems to have lead goalscorer sewn up (three goals clear of second place) and Erin Phillips would have to be the favourite for league MVP, right?

Do they do an AA team for AFLW?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
It's infuriating me that even days after the match, AFL Live won't let you Chromecast to a big screen. I get it, you can't do it live because Foxtel etc, but even the match replays?

Also, why the gently caress does the replay take 24 hours to appear? That's loving ridiculous. Sometimes I'm busy when my team is playing, and then I'm free that evening, it sure would be nice to watch the replay! Except it wouldn't because I'd have to hunch over my TINY PHONE SCREEN FOR THREE HOURS god it makes me so loving ANGRY

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

strap on revenge posted:

you cAn Chromecast with screen mirroring on Android if your quick settings panel has the cast option. you have to start it while the video is running but it works

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Fingers crossed!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Imagine if instead we had a finals series with North, Freo, Melbourne and Adelaide

No, you see AFLW is not supposed to actually be good.

I can't wait to see how the AFL manages to come up with an even worse conference breakdown next year. Maybe they can put all the Victorian teams in the same conference or something.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

drunkill posted:

thanks disney i hate it

they're playing the swans and the back is red, like thors cape.

lmao

What a shocker that is, particularly since I've always felt that the Bulldogs have arguably the best strip in the AFL.