Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Everyone was raving about korean movies after snowpiercer released, but the last one I saw was assassination which was released 4 years ago and now no one talks about them. Do they still release good movies? have they fallen into the american trap of creating sequels and formulaic franchises that no one cares about without marketing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013
I'm hardly a Korean movies expert, but here's some good Korean stuff released since The Assassination:

The Handmaiden - directed by Park Chan-wook, aka the director of Oldboy. A visually stunning thriller that takes place in early 20th century Japan-occupied Korea. Lots of intrigue and sex.
The Wailing - an atmospheric horror/thriller about mysterious sickness and other weird happenings in rural Korea.
Train to Busan - Korean zombies on a train. I haven't seen this one myself, but it was very well received.
Burning - an adaptation of a short story by Haruki Murakami. I haven't seen this one either, as I'm slightly allergic to Murakami, but it has also received great reviews.

Granted, most of these are not super recent (all of them except for Burning were released in 2016, I think).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yes OP

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKEgeojjcGg

Also, how in the hell did you fall for the marketing for Snowpiercer, but then completely forget about Okja?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCebKn4iic

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dire Chinchilla posted:

I'm hardly a Korean movies expert, but here's some good Korean stuff released since The Assassination:

The Handmaiden - directed by Park Chan-wook, aka the director of Oldboy. A visually stunning thriller that takes place in early 20th century Japan-occupied Korea. Lots of intrigue and sex.
The Wailing - an atmospheric horror/thriller about mysterious sickness and other weird happenings in rural Korea.
Train to Busan - Korean zombies on a train. I haven't seen this one myself, but it was very well received.
Burning - an adaptation of a short story by Haruki Murakami. I haven't seen this one either, as I'm slightly allergic to Murakami, but it has also received great reviews.

Granted, most of these are not super recent (all of them except for Burning were released in 2016, I think).

I regret to inform you that Train to Busan isn't very good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

General Dog posted:

I regret to inform you that Train to Busan isn't very good.

Its fine, just a little bit overhyped.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Counterpoint:

It's wildly popular
It made a gently caress ton of cash
Goons don't like it

It's safe to say it's good.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIIDXvIECKQ

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

504 posted:

It's safe to say it's good.

Yeah, Train to Busan is good. I'm really tired of zombie stuff but I still enjoyed it. It's a decent zombie film in an age where every second film for a while was about zombies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Train to Busan is a blockbuster, not an arthouse movie, and I feel like that kind of messes with people's expectations given the fact that 99% of the Korean movies we get are pure arthouse stuff like the Vengeance trilogy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't know, I honestly can't remember a whole lot about it now, but I seem to recall it being pretty repetitive. Fast zombies on a train is a fun enough idea I guess, but it runs out of steam (heh) way before the two hours are up. Main character and the kid aren't very likable or interesting; I seem to remember one of the other passengers who's kind of fun but dies about halfway through. Has some social commentary that seemed pretty shallow (rich man is cowardly and selfish), but maybe there was some nuance that flew over my head with it being a foreign film and all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The fact that Burning isn’t nominated for Best Foreign Film let alone Best Picture at the Oscars is loving typical. Burning is good.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Is the Kingdom show any good?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Check out Hotel by the River, 1987: When the Day Comes, Yourself and Yours, The Age of Shadows, Grass, A Taxi Driver, Asura: The City of Madness, The Tunnel, Claire's Camera, The Day After, Believer, Forgotten, The Battleship Island, and Master. And I'll second Okja which is maybe my favorite film of the decade.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
TRAIN TO BUSAN is decent, but it has one of the worst 'we have to contrive a sad and unnecessary third act moment' in recent memory. It felt so cheap.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
The Villainess (2017) owns hard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ettsG15TD2Q

It's on Hulu right now, too

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hong Sang-soo has made 8 movies since 2014 and while I haven't seen them all yet I'm sure they're all good. He's a conversation heavy director, so you have enjoy watching people talk, though.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I forgot that I made this thread but Im writing down all these movie suggestions, thanks everyone!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

It's the best of Game of Thrones with the most reasonable explanation for a zombie plague to start and spread I've seen in zombie media.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There's a Korean theater in my neighborhood in Los Angeles that usually has some pretty good/interesting looking new releases.

http://www.cgvcinemas.com/film_list/cinema/1/2019-02-05/

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

There are still good Korean movies coming out, but not as many as before.
Maybe I am biased though, I watched over a hundred of them a few years ago and there were dozens of great movies in there. Could be that with that selection gone it just seems like there are less interesting ones.
After seeing Thirst, The Chaser, A Dirty Carnival, Man from Nowhere and A Bittersweet Life in one week it becomes very hard to appreciate a movie that is just fine.

New World (2013) is just a bit older than 4 years, but definitely one of my favorites. Check that out if you like crime thrillers like The Departed
Stoker is also 2013 and might not count (Park Chan-Wook, but American cast), but it is top notch.
Villainess has a slow and unoriginal story that really doesn't add anything to the action, but oh man is the action worth it. It starts with a Hardcore Henry-like scene, but evolves into much more. Crazy kinetic camerawork.
Okja and The Wailing were already mentioned, definitely check those.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Little Forest is pretty good if you want to watch somebody out in a rural area doing nothing except growing and cooking food

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

anatomi posted:

It's same old zombie poo poo except with funny hats. I got bored after the second episode.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man Burning was fantastic

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cavauro posted:

Little Forest is pretty good if you want to watch somebody out in a rural area doing nothing except growing and cooking food

That sounds sick. Where can I watch it?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Veteran is pretty drat awesome. Cop vs corporate bad guys with kick-rear end action and some good jokes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That sounds sick. Where can I watch it?

Viki or Amazon. sorry i didn't see this for 8 years.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

40 Proof Listerine posted:

The Villainess (2017) owns hard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ettsG15TD2Q

It's on Hulu right now, too

Came here to post this, it’s fuckin rad. I rewatch a couple of the action scenes on a regular basis

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Castaway on the Moon is one of the most lighthearted, least cynical films I've probably ever watched. It's great.

There's Chan-wook Park's famous vengeance trilogy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance and Oldboy, and The Handmaiden is really good too. He also made one of my favorite vampire movies ever, Thirst.

Also on the crime/action thriller front you have movies like The Chaser and I Saw The Devil, and The Man From Nowhere and The Yellow Sea.

No one mentioned Memories of Murder which is possibly my favorite SK movie ever. Such a great investigative serial killer movie by a great director, Joon-ho Bong (who also directed Snowpiercer, The Host, Mother and Okja) and I just recently watched his latest, Parasite, which was also excellent.

A lot of these movies star Kang-ho Song, who tends to show up in quality flicks.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Stare-Out posted:

Castaway on the Moon is one of the most lighthearted, least cynical films I've probably ever watched. It's great.

There's Chan-wook Park's famous vengeance trilogy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance and Oldboy, and The Handmaiden is really good too. He also made one of my favorite vampire movies ever, Thirst.

Also on the crime/action thriller front you have movies like The Chaser and I Saw The Devil, and The Man From Nowhere and The Yellow Sea.

No one mentioned Memories of Murder which is possibly my favorite SK movie ever. Such a great investigative serial killer movie by a great director, Joon-ho Bong (who also directed Snowpiercer, The Host, Mother and Okja) and I just recently watched his latest, Parasite, which was also excellent.

A lot of these movies star Kang-ho Song, who tends to show up in quality flicks.

Other than Handmaiden and Parasite they aren’t all that recent. Some of these are nearly 20 years old. I took it that the op was familiar with the high points of the big Korean movie boom

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, sorry I must have missed that. Even so, since this is the only SK movie thread, may as well throw some recommendations for older movies. :v:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Stare-Out posted:

Has anything come out in the same vein of these since? I watched all of these ages ago and never saw much come up recommended since.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I haven't watched a lot of Korean cinema, but I did see Parasite recently, which was excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEUXfv87Wpk

The film is somehow simultaneously both hilarious and tragic.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

That's the Bong Joon-Ho special baby!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Forgotten is another one of those tragic revenge stories. It's not exactly Park Chan Wook tier, but pretty good.

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

Stare-Out posted:

Speaking of its up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3tw66BBdDw

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

“The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil” is supposed to be soo good that Stallone already wants to helm an English language remake. Let’s hope he learned from his remake of “Get Carter”.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I watched The Beauty Inside last year, and I remember liking it a lot. Was a fun, sappy movie. I'm a sucker for romantic dramedies though. poo poo was right up my alley (I cried).

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
Extreme Job is recent and good. About some loser cops going undercover, buying and running fried chicken shop over the street from a gang hideout. They’re more successful at the restaurant game than policing. The gang they're monitoring asks them to join in legitimate business, franchising their restaurant. It escalates further from there. Laughs-a-plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l34Gwu6QaLQ

The Odd Family: Zombie On Sale also. A zombie comedy about an ever-scheming tow truck family who find a way to make money off one zombie that’s come into their lives. This scheme unleashes a larger outbreak. Can they find a way to rake money out of that as well? Yes. Not as laughs-a-plenty as Extreme Job (the whole time i just wanted it to be a little better, a little more dynamic) but still quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6FOB0N3P8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

El Graplurado posted:

Extreme Job is recent and good. About some loser cops going undercover, buying and running fried chicken shop over the street from a gang hideout. They’re more successful at the restaurant game than policing. The gang they're monitoring asks them to join in legitimate business, franchising their restaurant. It escalates further from there. Laughs-a-plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l34Gwu6QaLQ

That's a great premise. Gonna check it out for sure.