Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Man On High Heels is completely cooked, I have no idea what the movie was trying to say (as I don't know a great deal about Korean culture, especially when it comes to trans issues in Korea), but I enjoyed it a lot, and it definately gave my partner & I a lot to talk about.

Also you see a super-cop stab someone with a crab claw at a restaurant, which is reason enough to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Looks like they found the actual serial killer "Memories of Murder" was based on. He's already in prison for a similar crime but can't be prosecuted for the other killings due to statute of limitations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think they also announced they are doing a new bluray of Memories of Murder for the US

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Man From Nowhere and Tae Guk Gi are stupid good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I think they also announced they are doing a new bluray of Memories of Murder for the US

Thread resurrection time -- they're re-releasing Memories of Murder and heavily marketing it as "From the director of Parasite" which should get it more attention. It's in theaters October 19th.

E: The trailer makes it look ridiculously action packed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_HQwQU8ls

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 15, 2020

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Oh great, it looks like they're using the same version of the film that was released on blu-ray in France and Germany. Basically they've sucked all the colour and contrast out of the film. Maybe Bong has pulled a Friedkin and decided that this is how the film is supposed to look now, but I say gently caress that garbage. Korean blu-ray all the way, thanks. https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=12175&d2=12174&s1=120494&s2=120474&i=5&l=0

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Wow, okay. When I saw Memories of Murder in theaters this January the picture quality was so dim I thought the theater had screwed up somehow. Bad news if that's how it's being officially rereleased.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Nroo posted:

Wow, okay. When I saw Memories of Murder in theaters this January the picture quality was so dim I thought the theater had screwed up somehow. Bad news if that's how it's being officially rereleased.

Man, that's a bummer. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, drat. Might be too much to hope they used that version for the trailer only I guess. It's been a long while since I last watched it and I can't remember which version it was but I don't remember being distractingly dark or anything.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Can only hope Criterion's release is an improvement

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Happy to see Memories of Murder was showing at my local theatre in the UK but I'll be so bummed if they have messed with the film like you've described.

Oh well I'm sure it'll still be great. Super pumped now as I've not long watched The Host and absolutely loved it. Very interesting film to watch nowadays.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'd say def watch it in the theatre even if your only option is the altered one

Memories of Murder owns

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
I still think it's Bong's best. But I love all his films.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/02/asia...tuvonuOwtIJMApk

The serial killer that inspired Memories of Murder has testified in court that he was responsible for the murders

Said he was surprised he wasn't caught sooner, which is LOL

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Call just dropped on Netflix and it's very good. Supernatural psycho stuff out in the boonies and it's scary without relying on jump scares or even making it clear which specific part's supposed to be scary until the halfway point.

Try not to read the Netflix description if you can. It has a big spoiler for no good reason.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Don't think it's streaming, but if you can find it Extreme Job is great. It's about cops who buy a fried chicken restaurant as cover for a surveillance of some drug dealers in a building across the street from the shop. The restaurant then becomes very successful and popular, which obviously isn't great when you're trying to do covert surveillance. The trailer is pretty awful but the movie was hilarious. Anyone watch any other good Korean movies lately?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Don't think it's streaming, but if you can find it Extreme Job is great. It's about cops who buy a fried chicken restaurant as cover for a surveillance of some drug dealers in a building across the street from the shop. The restaurant then becomes very successful and popular, which obviously isn't great when you're trying to do covert surveillance. The trailer is pretty awful but the movie was hilarious. Anyone watch any other good Korean movies lately?

Extreme Job was on Amazon Prime video within the last 6 months at least when I watched it. Solid film.

Also on Amazon Prime vid was Veteran which if you liked Extreme Job you'd like it as well, Hwang Jung-min stars in it and is great as always.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

It's so loving good. I adore that movie.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Last night I watched a horror/ thriller movie, The Call, on Netflix, about two women who can communicate with each other across a twenty two year time gap. The lead actress was also in #Alive, a zombie movie that dropped in October. I liked this movie a lot, it was fairly grim though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Because this thread got me looking I am kinda going through more of Hwang Jung-min's movies and The Spy Gone North so far is pretty good. Early 90's spy drama mostly set in Beijing and North Korea and I believe based on a true story.

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Kim Ki-duk died from Covid, but turns out he was a piece of poo poo sexual predator/rapist so good riddance

Gringo Heisenberg fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 19, 2020

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

Has korea released any good movies lately?

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

S Korea has been one of the biggest success stories in film over the past 20 years. Although the overall quality has dipped a little bit lately as they're putting out more "content" you still have:

Housemaid (1960) - It is insane that this movie was made in 1960.
Shiri (1999) - Korea's take on "two dudes square off in a pseudo-futuristic action feature" that was so popular in the 90s in America. Not great but entertaining.
Attack the Gas Station (1999) - Probably the greatest Korean comedy film of all time.
Save the Green Planet (2003) - Imitation Miike with a twist.
President's Last Bang (2005) - Dark political comedy
The Chaser (2008)

Lee Chang Dong's work: All of it is worth watching. Very heartfelt. Start with Peppermint Candy.
Park Chan Wook's work: Visually gorgeous, with only a few missteps (Stoker).
Kim Ki Duk's stuff kinda sucks, like discount Takashi Miike in a lot of ways, but Spring, Summer, Fall and 3-iron are excellent. Sucks he was a rapist shithead.
Kim Jee-won had a string of great films (A Bittersweet Life, A Tale of Two Sisters) before disappearing. I Saw the Devil is great if a bit formulaic.
Hong Sang-soo makes the same film over and over again, but man is it usually pretty engaging. Just about men and women

There's also a bunch of Korean War films which are about reconciliation. I don't remember any of them being particularly good.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Young Adult Matters is new and quite good imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kbbPOiwto

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

KaptainKrunk posted:

S Korea has been one of the biggest success stories in film over the past 20 years. Although the overall quality has dipped a little bit lately as they're putting out more "content" you still have:

Housemaid (1960) - It is insane that this movie was made in 1960.
Shiri (1999) - Korea's take on "two dudes square off in a pseudo-futuristic action feature" that was so popular in the 90s in America. Not great but entertaining.
Attack the Gas Station (1999) - Probably the greatest Korean comedy film of all time.
Save the Green Planet (2003) - Imitation Miike with a twist.
President's Last Bang (2005) - Dark political comedy
The Chaser (2008)

Lee Chang Dong's work: All of it is worth watching. Very heartfelt. Start with Peppermint Candy.
Park Chan Wook's work: Visually gorgeous, with only a few missteps (Stoker).
Kim Ki Duk's stuff kinda sucks, like discount Takashi Miike in a lot of ways, but Spring, Summer, Fall and 3-iron are excellent. Sucks he was a rapist shithead.
Kim Jee-won had a string of great films (A Bittersweet Life, A Tale of Two Sisters) before disappearing. I Saw the Devil is great if a bit formulaic.
Hong Sang-soo makes the same film over and over again, but man is it usually pretty engaging. Just about men and women

There's also a bunch of Korean War films which are about reconciliation. I don't remember any of them being particularly good.

Seen those but was hoping there were some good recent ones. Extreme Job is the most recent really good one I can think of.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No one mentioning Castaway On The Moon. One of the most endearing movies I've ever watched.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

esperterra posted:

Young Adult Matters is new and quite good imho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9kbbPOiwto

Where did you see this? As far as I know it's only shown up on the festival circuit so far with a domestic release earlier this year. Did it go theatrical in southeast Asia?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Some Guy TT posted:

Where did you see this? As far as I know it's only shown up on the festival circuit so far with a domestic release earlier this year. Did it go theatrical in southeast Asia?

:filez: tbh. A rip went up about a month ago? or so with subs. I assume it became available as a VOD or on streaming not too long after the theatrical release.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Must be all the Exid fans that did that. Lucky for them Young Adult Matters was a festival release so there was a subbed version lying around for them to grab. I'm partial to the flower movies myself- Wild Flowers, Steel Flower, Ash Flower. Where those stand on files I have no idea, since they didn't cast any K-Pop stars

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, more than likely. As an EXID fan myself it's great for me to have gotten a chance to watch it earlier than I expected to. Hani is turning out to be a very good actress very quickly, and clearly not afraid of taking roles other idols probably wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Stare-Out posted:

No one mentioning Castaway On The Moon. One of the most endearing movies I've ever watched.

You already did:

Stare-Out posted:

Castaway on the Moon is one of the most lighthearted, least cynical films I've probably ever watched. It's great.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

You already did:

Yeah but not in that recent bunch of movies. And it bears repeating.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Joint Security Area was a good watch if you're looking for a 90s action movie throwback. I remember being pretty surprised at the heart in when I watched it for an Asian Studies class like 20 years ago but given the rest of Chan-Wook Park's career its not surprising.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shinsaege or New World was a Korean Departed that came out like 2016 or 2018. I remember it set up for a trilogy, did it ever happen? Movie was dope.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

Shinsaege or New World was a Korean Departed that came out like 2016 or 2018. I remember it set up for a trilogy, did it ever happen? Movie was dope.

The only thing I remember about that movie is a fight scene in an elevator that was loving bananas. I think Korean cinema is the only national cinema that really gets how loving scary knives are.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

KirbyKhan posted:

Not that I've seen but this is one of my favorite films.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Choi Min-sik owns and I am amazed I haven't watched New World yet. Thanks for a movie to watch this week!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

esperterra posted:

Choi Min-sik owns and I am amazed I haven't watched New World yet. Thanks for a movie to watch this week!

Hwang Jung-min is fantastic in it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Deliver Us From Evil brings back that particular acting team, with similar high quality action, but a radically different plot. Much more of a we hit men are genuinely terrible people who are making the world a worse place kind of vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

Deliver Us From Evil brings back that particular acting team, with similar high quality action, but a radically different plot. Much more of a we hit men are genuinely terrible people who are making the world a worse place kind of vibe.

Ah sweet, glad you mentioned this