Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Castaway on the Moon is one of the most lighthearted, least cynical films I've probably ever watched. It's great.

There's Chan-wook Park's famous vengeance trilogy, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance and Oldboy, and The Handmaiden is really good too. He also made one of my favorite vampire movies ever, Thirst.

Also on the crime/action thriller front you have movies like The Chaser and I Saw The Devil, and The Man From Nowhere and The Yellow Sea.

No one mentioned Memories of Murder which is possibly my favorite SK movie ever. Such a great investigative serial killer movie by a great director, Joon-ho Bong (who also directed Snowpiercer, The Host, Mother and Okja) and I just recently watched his latest, Parasite, which was also excellent.

A lot of these movies star Kang-ho Song, who tends to show up in quality flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, sorry I must have missed that. Even so, since this is the only SK movie thread, may as well throw some recommendations for older movies. :v:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

El Graplurado posted:

Extreme Job is recent and good. About some loser cops going undercover, buying and running fried chicken shop over the street from a gang hideout. They’re more successful at the restaurant game than policing. The gang they're monitoring asks them to join in legitimate business, franchising their restaurant. It escalates further from there. Laughs-a-plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l34Gwu6QaLQ

That's a great premise. Gonna check it out for sure.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Looks like they found the actual serial killer "Memories of Murder" was based on. He's already in prison for a similar crime but can't be prosecuted for the other killings due to statute of limitations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

I think they also announced they are doing a new bluray of Memories of Murder for the US

Thread resurrection time -- they're re-releasing Memories of Murder and heavily marketing it as "From the director of Parasite" which should get it more attention. It's in theaters October 19th.

E: The trailer makes it look ridiculously action packed though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_HQwQU8ls

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 15, 2020

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, drat. Might be too much to hope they used that version for the trailer only I guess. It's been a long while since I last watched it and I can't remember which version it was but I don't remember being distractingly dark or anything.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

No one mentioning Castaway On The Moon. One of the most endearing movies I've ever watched.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

You already did:

Yeah but not in that recent bunch of movies. And it bears repeating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Joon-ho's doing sci-fì? I'm in.