Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

the issue i have with that being described as punching up is the implication that the jokes are funny because the target is inherently superior in all the examples you mention the target of the humor is being attacked because of their obvious inferiority contrasted with the irony of their still being considered our superiors for technical social reasons

like to use a more modern example making fun of trump is technically punching up because hes the most powerful man in the world but most humor along these lines emphasizes how hes a dumb pissbaby and its the exact same kind of humor that was used during 2016 when he was widely treated as a joke candidate

meanwhile barack obama who used to be the most powerful man in the world and whose entire schtick was being excessively dignified and presidential in tone rather than action should have been an obvious target for punching up but actual funny people were completely unwilling to do so for pretty much the entire time he was president

yay I get to repost this

quote:

I've heard one joke from a conservative comedian that I thought was funny. It went,

quote:

"All the Republicans are scared Obama will get his picture on the next Quarter. Not me though. Because as any coin collector can tell you, a coin is worth more if it has a mistake on it."
That was a very well put together joke, and the mans delivery was very good too. All in all actually funny.

I think most the problems with conservative humor comes from the lack of life experiences most conservatives seem to have. The best humor is derived from the deconstruction of events. In order for something to be deconstructed a person first must be curious enough to wonder how it was constructed in the first place. Those who traditionally make up the conservative party come from white, fairly well off, backgrounds. For those people things just work. Cabs pick you up. Hotels don't lose your reservation. Your job interviews turn into employment. Things in the world just make sense and wondering about their underpinnings isn't necessary.

If you choose not to Deconstruct then you're left with a few alternatives.

The first is the personal shared joke. God I hate this kind. It relies on your audience having shared experiences and laughs are derived from the memory of those experiences. Bill Engvall is a classic example, he has a routine that I'll paraphrase because it's not worth typing out. He finds some sexy underwear and asks his wife about it, it wasn't hers, but it was his 17 year old daughters. For this joke to be truly effective it relies on the audience having a similar experience worrying about the sexual Purity of a younger female family member. For people with out a younger female family member or a more progressive attitude towards sexuality it falls flat because there is no common experience to recall. I don't want to only rag on conservatives for this. It's a big problem for hacks of every creed, color, and orientation.

Related to the personal shared joke is the collective shared joke. I dislike this one as well for both being insulting and also because it's so god drat easy. This relies on recall as well, but instead of a shared experience its of a stereotype. Minorities are the ones who use this nowadays for the most part, think of a Jew talking about his over bearing mother, a hispanic talking about his crazy latina girlfriend, that dumb poo poo with the puppets, or Dat Phan, the hackiest hack who ever hacked a hack. The thing they all have in common is if they make it big it's by playing for white audiences. I say for the most part because this is where a lot of conservative humor lies. I had the displeasure of attending a conservative event in 2006 where the opening comic used a lot of dog whistle welfare queen references and then ascribed a lot of black stereotypes to that hypothetical person so the audience could share in an unspoken shared joke at the expense of poor black people.

Finally, there's the insult. This is where the other half of conservative humor lies. It is straight up just calling people names. Now a deconstruction can be insulting, think of deconstructing the hypocrisy of Sarah Palin's daughter's 'sex is bad' stance after she had a baby out of wedlock. An insult is just picking a physical characteristic and running with it. Like hearing someone rag on Obama's big ears with no punch line. The insult can be directed inward as well creating self deprecating humor, but without some deconstruction as to why you are the way you either just have a collective shared joke (like a fat guy making fun of himself for being fat), or you're just ragging on yourself for being ugly.

Now the question is why are conservative comics so bad at deconstructing? Well, we covered the fact that most never have to give a second thought to construction in the first place, but what about the ones with the intellectual curiosity that they do, or at least did? Take Dennis Miller, pre-9/11 he had some funny bits, but after he fell apart. It's because all after 9/11 he felt primal fear of death. Humor can't have fear. If you go up on stage scared of getting booed off you've failed before you started, but conservative fear runs far deeper. It's the fear of their way of life being stamped out, of being blown up by a hidden terrorist, the fear of their country being torn apart around them. Their "humor" reflects this, instead of wanting people to laugh they want people to be afraid. At the end of their set the goal is to cause either internal fear or fear directed outward as anger. And fear is the greatest enemy to good humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

yeah thats a really good post

i dont dispute the idea that making fun of powerful people is funny i dispute the idea that funny jokes can only be about punching up this was a really common idea to explain why conservatives arent funny because they always side with the people in power but i dont like that idea because its a really simplistic reading of an exceptionally complicated human concept

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

i dont dispute the idea that making fun of powerful people is funny i dispute the idea that funny jokes can only be about punching up this was a really common idea to explain why conservatives arent funny because they always side with the people in power but i dont like that idea because its a really simplistic reading of an exceptionally complicated human concept

part of the problem is it has been decades since the occasional pretty good joke at Bill Clinton's expense, and Obama was genuinely a generational talent at retail politics

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Some Guy TT posted:

i don't agree with this. give me an example of a good joke that shits on poor people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Punching up' is also one of those concepts that gets easy to misunderstand and misuse, especially when people learn they just need to reframe the debate to make it look like your target of choice is 'up'.

I mean, hell, that's the basic concept of racist stereotypes, the idea that supposedly oppressed people have secret, unearned advantages that justify your oppression, like Jews are secretly wealthy, black people get special welfare and steal, the Asians all collaborate with each other, Muslims are secret terrorists... and it's basically all variations on that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

i don't agree with this. give me an example of a good joke that shits on poor people.

I think the point was that there are jokes that don’t poo poo on anyone. I’m not sure.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

my point was that jokes can literally be about anything and reception is so subjective that a hard and fast rule like humor has to punch up is just nonsense

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I am curious about the Prime show Patriot. It’s probably one of the most recommended and lauded shows in the CD streaming thread discussion and typically the goons posting there have good taste, but I just can’t get past the premise of the show (a CIA agent having personal problems while trying to thwart Iranian nuclear ambitions?). The episode descriptions and reviews don’t make it sound like it actually does anything to undercut its fundamentally jingoistic setting outside of like, what reviews describe as quirkiness and humor?

Any cspam viewers that can confirm it isn’t just some platinum tv horse poo poo trying to humanize CIA agents and American imperialism through affected ambivalence and ~nuance~ and is actually good?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Frog Act posted:

Any cspam viewers that can confirm it isn’t just some platinum tv horse poo poo trying to humanize CIA agents and American imperialism through affected ambivalence and ~nuance~ and is actually good?

If it’s entertaining, does it matter?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

General Dog posted:

If it’s entertaining, does it matter?

yeah it does matter the degree to which shows reproduce toxic ideologies, and how uncritical that reproduction is. besides, the whole, "if you enjoy it, it doesn't matter" thing is boring horseshit used to short-circuit attempts at critical analysis because people are too lazy or self conscious to examine the media they consume, and find it upsetting when people attempt to do so, because they think it somehow reflects poorly on them when they're just looking for shallow entertainment. I'm not saying every single media experience has to be relentlessly analyzed for ideological purity but specifically asking that in a thread for analyzing tv shows is an annoying cliche

for instance, I have been entertained by Call of Duty games, but I also think discussing the way they perpetuate and evangelize gross jingoism in a mega popular format is something that matters, even if they're fun to play

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I love that you wrote a bunch of words to say you cNt like poo poo if it's politics are bad and then went but yeah I can like bad things too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i didn't say can't, I mean, it is possible to be aware of something's problems and still enjoy them, though often that isn't the case. just assuming I'm saying its a binary where something is either good and enjoyable or bad and not-enjoyable is part of the problem, really, because it makes everyone all defensive when in fact many good things have bad elements and vice versa

Frog Act has issued a correction as of 02:07 on Mar 5, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So the other day and for no real reason at all I found myself thinking about the plot of a film I haven't seen in more than a decade: Star Trek First Contact. It suddenly occurred to me just how bizarre the plot of that film was in retrospect and how loaded it was with 1990s tropes and assumptions.

In particular there's this understated but omnipresent libertarian ethos running through the film. Faster than light travel isn't developed as part of large collective effort in the way you'd expect for such a major technology. Instead it seems to be completely invented by a whisky drinking backwoods hick who I guess moonlights as a brilliant scientist during all the scenes that weren't actually filmed. Star Trek always had a weird communism-with-the-class-struggle vibe but there was at least some sense that the rules and institutions of the universe mattered. Stuff like the Federation and the Prime Directive were a key part of the mythos and my vague memories of watching Star Trek Next Gen are all of situations where a group of people working together using science and reason were able to develop political solutions to age old problems like inter-generational conflict or resource scarcity.

Then you get a film revolving around the invention of the most important piece of technology in this entire universe and it feels like something from the fever dreams of Elon Musk. A single man seems to have more or less designed, tested and built a successful warp drive with zero outside input from anyone. He doesn't even have any copilots. Meanwhile the villains here are an incompetent Star Fleet military command that our heroes immediately disobey and a scary collectivist blob whose only real characteristic is a cold hearted lack of individuality (except now they also have a horny queen).

In retrospect it really seems to have set the tone for practically every piece of Star Trek media I've encountered since then. Is this what that awful looking new Star Trek Discovery show is like as well?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Tbf it took humans like another 50 years to collectively build a ship that could actually leave the system and not get blown up immediately.

The Borg Collective has the best FTL there is although they got hosed up when someone decided they should have a queen after all.

Idk gently caress the movies though imo

The one with the Borg (I guess first contact?) scared the gently caress out of me as a kid when I saw it in a theater with no idea of what star trek even was going in.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:35 on Mar 5, 2019

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

um.. donald trump?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

So the other day and for no real reason at all I found myself thinking about the plot of a film I haven't seen in more than a decade: Star Trek First Contact. It suddenly occurred to me just how bizarre the plot of that film was in retrospect and how loaded it was with 1990s tropes and assumptions.

In particular there's this understated but omnipresent libertarian ethos running through the film. Faster than light travel isn't developed as part of large collective effort in the way you'd expect for such a major technology. Instead it seems to be completely invented by a whisky drinking backwoods hick who I guess moonlights as a brilliant scientist during all the scenes that weren't actually filmed. Star Trek always had a weird communism-with-the-class-struggle vibe but there was at least some sense that the rules and institutions of the universe mattered. Stuff like the Federation and the Prime Directive were a key part of the mythos and my vague memories of watching Star Trek Next Gen are all of situations where a group of people working together using science and reason were able to develop political solutions to age old problems like inter-generational conflict or resource scarcity.

Then you get a film revolving around the invention of the most important piece of technology in this entire universe and it feels like something from the fever dreams of Elon Musk. A single man seems to have more or less designed, tested and built a successful warp drive with zero outside input from anyone. He doesn't even have any copilots. Meanwhile the villains here are an incompetent Star Fleet military command that our heroes immediately disobey and a scary collectivist blob whose only real characteristic is a cold hearted lack of individuality (except now they also have a horny queen).

In retrospect it really seems to have set the tone for practically every piece of Star Trek media I've encountered since then. Is this what that awful looking new Star Trek Discovery show is like as well?

Weren’t they refugees from a war or something? I thought the movie did a pretty good job making their situation look like poo poo. I figured James Cromwell was a physicist or something just carrying on with stuff from his pre-war life while being a burned-out derelict unable to cope with the collapse of the United States. I imagine my old age will look much the same, to be honest.

Post-apocalypses probably seemed kind of passé in the 90s, but geohell is coming up ahead of schedule these days.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
*puts on nerd hat*

The Earth was devastated after nuclear ww3 and poo poo was all hosed up. The warp drive was noticed by the Vulcans who came down and helped humans unfuck themselves.

Very Posadist.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Weren’t they refugees from a war or something? I thought the movie did a pretty good job making their situation look like poo poo. I figured James Cromwell was a physicist or something just carrying on with stuff from his pre-war life while being a burned-out derelict unable to cope with the collapse of the United States. I imagine my old age will look much the same, to be honest.

Post-apocalypses probably seemed kind of passé in the 90s, but geohell is coming up ahead of schedule these days.

You motived me to look up the relevant scene and yeah, its established that they are 10 years out from the third world war which wiped out most cities and governments.

Also I'm sure there are probably endless reams of authorized novelizations or comic books or guidebooks that probably go into tedious detail regarding everything you mentioned. Doesn't change the fact that what we're shown on screen as casual audience members is a scenario where the most important technology ever invented was the product of a lone genius who seems to have had almost zero input from anyone else. It's the Iron Man theory of technology, except its showing up in what was ostensibly the most 'serious' pop sci fi franchise in the English speaking world.

(Also, this isn't relevant to any kind of ideological criticism of the film but watching that clip I love how multiple shots from the borg sphere aren't even enough to completely blow up a bunch of tin shacks. You'd think one shot would have glassed half of Montana!)

Moridin920 posted:

*puts on nerd hat*

The Earth was devastated after nuclear ww3 and poo poo was all hosed up. The warp drive was noticed by the Vulcans who came down and helped humans unfuck themselves.

Very Posadist.

Aren't the Posadists also really into talking with dolphins? Which if I recall is more or less the plot of one of the old Trek films (except I believe it was whales in that one).

It does kind of say a lot about how the genre - and sci fi in general - had changed, though, that Star Trek went from a franchise about weird stuff like using sea mammals to communicate with Alien Gods to being a cliche action film about Picard getting personal revenge. Rewatching scenes from First Contact it's really remarkable how much the 'plot' of this movie is just a series of barely passable excuses that move the actors from one set piece to the next. I always thought that really got started with JJ Abrams but clearly I was looking back on the 1990s films through with a lot of nostalgia.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Christoph posted:

Slasher films as a genre are a normalization of sexualized violence against women. It's loving crazy that it's a genre at all.

One thing I've noticed several times, and would love to see a grand list of, is when a woman in a film (of any genre) is punished for her sexuality. Like, a woman will be shown as a self-possessed sexual being at some point in the film and later (or sometimes immediately) is killed, not necessarily with any causal link.

I've kept away from Hollywood films for a long time, but back in prison a friend of mine would go to all of the little Saturday movie screenings they had and I asked him to report back to me if any women were punished for their sexuality. Somewhere in the range of 1/3rd of the films he would report positive, but he was kind of a lunkhead who probably missed some of them. One example he gave was Valerian (which I haven't seen) - he said Rihanna showed up, was sexy, and died and the death made no logical sense.

Have you read Men, Women, and Chainsaws by Carol Clover? It's from the early 90's but remains probably the quintessential text on gender and horror movies. She goes deep on not just slashers but also possession movies and rape revenge. It's fantastic and really breaks down and expands the notion of it being just sexualized violence against women.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Frog Act posted:

I am curious about the Prime show Patriot. It’s probably one of the most recommended and lauded shows in the CD streaming thread discussion and typically the goons posting there have good taste, but I just can’t get past the premise of the show (a CIA agent having personal problems while trying to thwart Iranian nuclear ambitions?). The episode descriptions and reviews don’t make it sound like it actually does anything to undercut its fundamentally jingoistic setting outside of like, what reviews describe as quirkiness and humor?

Watch the first episode

If you've ever seen Burn After Reading, that's the closest comparison I can think of. The difference is that in The Patriot the universe/government/authority/god is actively malign instead of just uncaring.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Frog Act posted:

yeah it does matter the degree to which shows reproduce toxic ideologies, and how uncritical that reproduction is. besides, the whole, "if you enjoy it, it doesn't matter" thing is boring horseshit used to short-circuit attempts at critical analysis because people are too lazy or self conscious to examine the media they consume, and find it upsetting when people attempt to do so, because they think it somehow reflects poorly on them when they're just looking for shallow entertainment. I'm not saying every single media experience has to be relentlessly analyzed for ideological purity but specifically asking that in a thread for analyzing tv shows is an annoying cliche

for instance, I have been entertained by Call of Duty games, but I also think discussing the way they perpetuate and evangelize gross jingoism in a mega popular format is something that matters, even if they're fun to play

Well yeah, all media you consume should be engaged critically, but if it comes to different conclusions than you about the topic at hand, that doesn't mean that it wasn't worth watching.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

. It does kind of say a lot about how the genre - and sci fi in general - had changed, though, that Star Trek went from a franchise about weird stuff like using sea mammals to communicate with Alien Gods to being a cliche action film about Picard getting personal revenge. Rewatching scenes from First Contact it's really remarkable how much the 'plot' of this movie is just a series of barely passable excuses that move the actors from one set piece to the next. I always thought that really got started with JJ Abrams but clearly I was looking back on the 1990s films through with a lot of nostalgia..

That's the main reason why I basically ignore the movies. It's obvious that some execs wanted an action movie and shoehorned it together with actors who uh aren't action stars and didn't get to actually act that much. Generations is really obviously that but also 'let's stick as many people in here as we can. Kirk? Picard? Yeah!'.

Those movies still came out in the midst of the TV shows though which went on as they always did so idk if the franchise itself was transformed.

I agree that the genre itself is waay less thoughtful and a lot more actiony blow poo poo up. I think some of that is a function of sci-fi used to be done on a shoestring budget but now that studios see that people like it they turn sci-fi into more AAA blockbuster generic poo poo.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 21:21 on Mar 5, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean say what you will about the underlying themes, I'm still gonna watch Top Gun.

And I'll like it.

Really though, enjoy what you enjoy. Just be mindful of what it's telling you and don't accept it uncritically.

christmas boots has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Mar 5, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For me watching propaganda like that and analyzing it as I watch is another layer of fun. I wouldn't just show it to like a kid with no comment though idk cuz yeah it is some military propaganda that drove recruitment rates.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

christmas boots posted:

I mean say what you will about the underlying themes, I'm still gonna watch Top Gun.

And I'll like it.

Really though, enjoy what you enjoy. Just be mindful of what it's telling you and don't take accept it uncritically.

The big message I get from Top Gun is that being gay is awesome and that all-male societies, possibly with some light d/s elements, are really appealing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

The big message I get from Top Gun is that being gay is awesome and that all-male societies, possibly with some light d/s elements, are really appealing.

The problem is that the movie leads you to believe the Air Force can deliver this utopia.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

christmas boots posted:

The problem is that the movie leads you to believe the Air Force can deliver this utopia.

They're actually Navy, GOD!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh.

Well yeah, the Navy can deliver that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
They should really keep all the planes with the Air Force though imo. Navy should be for boats ONLY

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Every time I see Top Gun I always think Maverick and Iceman are gonna kiss at the end. They never do, but the energy is there!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

TrixRabbi posted:

Every time I see Top Gun I always think Maverick and Iceman are gonna kiss at the end. They never do, but the energy is there!

It's telling that the movie ends with them together and not Maverick making out with his lady

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Pagemaster tried to make me want to read

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

TrixRabbi posted:

They're actually Navy, GOD!

Well, the Air Force tried

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Air Force has a new movie out
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1102846108575977474
https://twitter.com/RFaughnder/status/1102759743142080512
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAi1E6kLR-k

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/themarysue/status/1102982518142320640?s=21

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have to know Armond White’s take.

As much as I hate studio movies becoming the battleground of the American culture war ala op/eds about the feminism of Star Wars, it was really the chuds who started it through their inability to understand the world under any terms other than capitalist consumption.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

We need more women pilots, especially as the US Air Force is facing a pilot shortage at a time when the US wars in Asia are relying more heavily on bombing.

https://www.stripes.com/news/the-us-has-dropped-more-munitions-in-2018-in-afghanistan-than-it-has-in-any-year-in-over-a-decade-1.558577

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/...solve-shortage/

I was just looking for an article about the pilot shortage and lol there was a Marvel/Air Force ad on the page

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
You'd think the advent of Drones would negate the need for all these pilots. I can't help but think a lot of recruitment PR folk will be out of a job since Robots don't have to be tricked into signing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Can you name another tv family that engages in religious worship? I know Rugrats had a passover episode.

The Hill family. They are Methodists iirc

I think you're right that it is not the norm though.

galagazombie posted:

You'd think the advent of Drones would negate the need for all these pilots. I can't help but think a lot of recruitment PR folk will be out of a job since Robots don't have to be tricked into signing up.

I've been told that it's not really a technology problem. We could be building an unmanned fighter instead of an F35. It's more just conservative militaries wanting to keep their pilots; but that said:

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/air-force-completes-first-flight-test-of-valkyrie-unmanned-fighter-jet-1.571668

Dunno why no one asks the obvious question of why not just replace the manned fighter entirely instead of using unmanned fighters to escort it and whatnot but that's again probably conservative military thought.

e: conservative as in the resistant to change meaning of the word.

Napoleon's answer to the invention of the steamboat:

quote:

"There are in all the capitals of Europe, a crowd of adventurers and men with plans who roam the world, offering to every sovereign their so-called discoveries which only exist in their imaginations. They're no more than charlatans or imposters, who have no other goal except to grab money. This American is one of that number. Do not speak of him to me any more."

Which is kind of unfair to Napoleon given the context of the time but noneheless militaries are generally resistant to change during peacetime. The more famously successful ones usually adapted new ideas quickly which is a reason they were successful vs their more conservative counterparts.

Anyway my point is just that they want pilots in planes because That's The Way It's Done more than anything but someone will make an unmanned fighter eventually and will probably have a huge advantage esp in an attritional war!

COMRADES has issued a correction as of 00:35 on Mar 9, 2019