Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Someone post the phil greaves tweet where he says everything in American entertainment is fascist

He's completely right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

Low Desert Punk posted:

Someone post the phil greaves tweet where he says everything in American entertainment is fascist

He's completely right

he also thinks trans rights are fascist so he's just a stopped clock

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

Al ! posted:

he also thinks trans rights are fascist so he's just a stopped clock

oh for sure, he's a loving idiot and a bigot

Muscadine Wine
Feb 13, 2009

Low Desert Punk posted:

rambo should've killed the cops in First Blood

he did in the book

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

post the žižekest takes u got

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Definitely appreciate this thread, I’m a huge fan of Ron English. One of my favorites:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I thought this was the POPE-AGANDA thread, where we discuss papist plots and the Jesuit conspiracy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Victory Position posted:

I thought this was the POPE-AGANDA thread, where we discuss papist plots and the Jesuit conspiracy

The pope agenda

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The interrelation between American sporting and military fetishism is profound

https://www.nflshop.com/salute-to-service/c-39087453+z-9625009-3234416133

Baseball teams regularly redesign their uniforms to resemble military camo in "troop tributes"

the Padres wear these for every Sunday home game. in addition to being cartoonishly jingoistic, they're just plain ugly

fun fact about the Star Spangled Banner: the first sporting event it was played at was the 1918 world series, about 15 years before it actually became the national anthem. back then it was more known for being a drinking song

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
Sorry To Bother You is the shining light in the poo poo nugget of 2018 which basically anyone who saw movies and posts in cspam knows, but the part I wanted to bring up was in a podcast interview I heard with Boots Riley where he attributes the movie managing to be made with a genuine and earnest anticapitalist message to not just his own authentic experiences as an organizer as well as an artist, but to the "sheer need for content" - basically not just does Hollywood want to make money, but also studio guys who have some influence want to Feel Relevant and Address the Issues.

that got me thinking: is it actually possible that the oft-discussed habit of capitalism to consume and neuter anticapitalist subcultures (see: punk, all pf millennial culture) is actually capable of poisoning capitalism? it only takes one piece that resonates with people to nudge them in a new direction, after all, and if genuine art with an anti-capitalist message can manage to sneak into neutered clones of itself (the broader trend like the OP is focusing on), can it make a difference?

i dunno, but i'm trying to find reasons to be optimistic less than suicidally pessimistic about our culture.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1076161179465191425

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm a sports fan and even though i'm aware of all the terrible political stuff that's associated with pro sports, i try not to let it get in the way of my enjoyment of the game. but that new Las Vegas NHL team just drives me insane. they're called the Vegas Golden Knights and their logo is Molon Labe poo poo

quote:

The team's name includes "Knights" as a homage to the Black Knights of the United States Military Academy, Foley's alma mater, and because knights were, according to Foley, "the epitome of the warrior class".[45][48] Foley had hoped to name his team the Black Knights, but dropped that plan after encountering resistance from federal officials.
Bill Foley is the team's owner and as you might expect from that blurb, he is a big time military fetishist

quote:

While still at West Point he made $40,000 on the stock market which he played in his spare time. Foley later transferred to the Air Force, where as an officer he negotiated million-dollar defense contracts with Boeing. After leaving the Air Force, Foley moved into corporate law upon earning his J.D. from the University of Washington in 1974.
he made his money in financial services and plastered his flag-draped ego all over a subsidiary of that company

quote:

On January 3, 2014 LPS was renamed Black Knight Financial Services after being acquired by Fidelity National Financial, which was ranked #314 among Fortune 500 Companies in 2015.
there were barely any flag protests in the NHL but that didn't stop Foley from taking a stand against it
https://twitter.com/sports8/status/917193303812014080
i hated them since it came out that Foley wanted to name them the Black Knights and their very successful first season pissed me off

if Gritty is an antifa mascot (i'm tired of Gritty tbh), then the Vegas Golden Knights are for the fascists

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Feb 1, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

R. Guyovich posted:

also the academy is loving dead, it's a center for the reproduction of liberal ideology and there's no stepping outside orthodoxy in any curriculum. also the people who used to write about this stuff in a thoughtful way are dead or out of a job.

the academy of motion picture arts and sciences was always dead it was invented as a transparent ploy to bust unions and when that didnt work they started focusing on the awards because of the pretense it created about how movies are art

fwiw i think you probably meant academy in the broader sense but what makes the academy of motion picture arts and sciences such great branding is that when academy is mentioned in casual conversation about movies people always assume thats what youre talking about even though the ampas has never actually done any of that poo poo

from that thread i found this essay

quote:

Look where the utter detachment from real history leads. It leads to pusillanimous guff like this. It leads to the idea that justice comes from above, a gift from the same people who rule an unjust society. It forgets that universal male suffrage in Britain could’ve waited forever if it’d depended upon Gladstone’s conscience, and that it was only when Chartists started taking over Hyde Park that the establishment caved in. It forgets that it was the civil rights movement that brought civil rights, not benevolent Presidents acting from unpressured principle. It forgets that it was the Suffragists who made female suffrage an unignorable issue. It forgets that it was the Abolitionist movement, and the slaves who stole themselves from their masters and joined the Union armies, that brought Lincoln to the point where he started issuing proclamations. It forgets that it was Watt Tyler and John Ball, and the thousands who backed them, who helped start the decline of feudalism in England, and that it was the Levellers and Diggers and the New Model Army who pushed it further. It forgets that it was a Europe-wide surge of revolution that ended the First World War. It forgets Tahrir Square. It forgets Stonewall. It forgets that every last scintilla of real progress and justice has had to be wrenched from the clenched teeth and grasping claws of the ruling classes since the dawn of civilisation, fought for and won by the oppressed themselves, by ordinary people fighting and shouting and refusing to obey – and yes, sometimes, killing kings.

the specific show being discussed is merlin although these kinds of thematic anachronisms are all over the place in historical and pseudo historical pop culture

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Some Guy TT posted:

fwiw i think you probably meant academy in the broader sense but what makes the academy of motion picture arts and sciences such great branding is that when academy is mentioned in casual conversation about movies people always assume thats what youre talking about even though the ampas has never actually done any of that poo poo

yes i meant the academy as in the broad scholarly community

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I present to you the 2018 Oscar nominated film Green Book in it's entirety:

[EXT: A RURAL ROAD IN THE SOUTHERN UNITED STATES IN THE 1960S]

A POLICE OFFICER pulls over a white man driving a black man in a Cadillac:

POLICE OFFICER: y'all are arrested for no reason because he is a negro!

LATER

EXT: A HIGHWAY IN NEW YORK STATE ON CHRISTMAS EVE

[ The AUDIENCE holds their breath anxiously]

POLICE OFFICER: whoopsie doodle sirs, l pulled you over because you have a flat tire! have a merry christmas!

[The AUDIENCE graciously exhales and congratulates themselves for being enlightened enough to see the filmmaker's point that really, it's just a Few Bad Apples and that Racism is Over]

sitchensis has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Feb 1, 2019

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I've been told the villain of Rowling's lovely latest movie/book, Gay Wizard Hitler, wanted to kill actual Hitler and that was the horrible thing that the hero of the book stopped them from doing.

Wizard Fascism is when you want to use magic to kill the Nazis before they do the Holocaust.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

EdithUpwards posted:

I've been told the villain of Rowling's lovely latest movie/book, Gay Wizard Hitler, wanted to kill actual Hitler and that was the horrible thing that the hero of the book stopped them from doing.

Wizard Fascism is when you want to use magic to kill the Nazis before they do the Holocaust.

Lmao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Yer a nazi harry

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

sitchensis posted:

LATER

POLICE OFFICER: whoopsie doodle sirs, l pulled you over because you have a flat tire! have a merry christmas!

[The AUDIENCE graciously exhales and congratulates themselves for being enlightened enough to see the filmmaker's point that really, it's just a Few Bad Apples and that Racism is Over]

its subtler than that the idea is that while those troglodytes in the deep south are super duper racist the rest of us are basically ok

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I have more to say about this later but I’m rereading Transmetropolitan for the first time in many years and it’s considerably less insightful satire than I remembered and more Warren Ellis or whatever thinking its hilarious to use the words “dead dogs cock”. instead of using the City and it’s insanity as the hyper individuated dystopian technocapitalist hellhole it is depicted as to weave coherent political allegory, Spider Jerusalem just swears and writes columns that sound like a Social Democratic version of Hunter Thompson with brain damage shat them out in an afternoon and the comics treat them like huge revelations

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
few things are as pathetic as someone who is not hunter s thompson trying to sound like hunter s thompson

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sitchensis posted:

LATER

Does he help them change the tire?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
ive got a big dumb effort post coming up just giving you warning

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I like that we do the national anthem before games, it adds a sense of formality to the proceedings that we kind of lack in a lot of our culture today. It feels like a civic event, which is appropriate since the local government has invested heavily in almost all of the venues.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Here is a little piece I like to call

Remember the Titans: the worst movie about race ever made.

The great lie of American racism is that racism is a moral failing. Racism is seen as unethical, and therefore the greatest consequence of racism is the cost on the soul of the one who is the perpetrator of racist actions. In the American narrative, racism is about the consequence on the white soul. The effects of the institution on the black body is seen as secondary.

This is the myth of Atticus Finch, and of other noble white protagonists who act as a progressive voice to their peers. This is also the myth of Hoke Colburn, and other well-meaning black men and women who teach their white superiors about the evils of racism through quiet dignity and friendship. When we look at films celebrated by the academy for their anti-racist message, we will almost always find stories that match this paradigm. Driving Miss Daisy, Crash, Look Who’s Coming to Dinner, Heat of the Night, etc. are all films that explore racism as a spiritual problem, rather a material problem.

And it is from this storied yet empty tradition that we come across a film that embraces these tropes with an almost gleeful lack of criticality: the high school history class darling “Remember the Titans.”

Remember the Titans is special in that it not only tasks the ultimate goal of anti-racism to be the spiritual redemption of whites, but also wholly tasks black America with the job of spurring that change. One scene in particular sticks out to me as the total embodiment of the “ethos” of the film. Earlier in the film, at the urging of a naďve white teammate, several black men attempt to enter a segregated restaurant. They are thrown out, jeered, and humiliated. Later on, during their historic win streak, they are shown being welcomed into that same restaurant by the same man who once threw them out.

Absent is any form of sincere reparation for both the mental and physical harm they suffered from the restaurant owner. Absent is even as much an apology. Instead, we are to take this scene as an affirmative moment because we are shown the white character realized he was wrong. The harm of his actions is irrelevant in the greater scope of him coming to a moral revelation and changing his behavior. In this way, the focus of the film is not on the harms of racism on black Americans, but on the far less tangible spiritual failures of those tragically wayward white people. It is particularly worth noting that the question is never even raised why the black men in the story would want to go to the restaurant at all. There is no serious exploration of the residual effects of racism. The white man is sorry and that should be enough.

It is also worth exploring why the white man reconsiders his previous position. The moral revelation of the racist white owner does not come from introspection, but instead from external events. Namely, the success of the high school football team. Which leads one to ask, how does a successful season of football speak to a person’s character? What the white people are celebrating is not the recognition of the basic humanity of the black people in their town, but instead the fact that they are accomplishing something notable. Presumably, the team could lose most of their games the next season and the town would return to its previous status quo.

This implicitly suggests that the recognition and respect of white America is something best earned by black America. Black America should be proactive in ending racism, but not in that scary self-affirming Spike Lee kind of way. Instead, they should just try harder to prove to those poor wayward whites that we are all the same. It is the condensation of the most favorable interpretation white America granted MLK Jr., which is that the goal should be everyone getting along.

Ultimately, this genre of anti-racist storytelling, of which Oscar nominee Green Book is a participant, is to protect white America. By reinforcing the narrative of racism as a primarily spiritual poison, it nullifies the chance that actual radical social progress might up end the comfort of white hegemony. It is a deliberate attempt to direct anger and action towards the least revolutionary outcome. It is anti-racist in name only, a narrative far more concerned with white safety than black justice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

But is "Remember the Titans" a dishonest movie? Some white people find utility in some young black men and consequently come to tolerate their presence in settings that they would not have before. Obviously the movie is wrong to frame that as redemptive in any fashion, but it still presents a very true and timeless phenomenon.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pieces of Peace posted:

Sorry To Bother You is the shining light in the poo poo nugget of 2018 which basically anyone who saw movies and posts in cspam knows, but the part I wanted to bring up was in a podcast interview I heard with Boots Riley where he attributes the movie managing to be made with a genuine and earnest anticapitalist message to not just his own authentic experiences as an organizer as well as an artist, but to the "sheer need for content" - basically not just does Hollywood want to make money, but also studio guys who have some influence want to Feel Relevant and Address the Issues.

that got me thinking: is it actually possible that the oft-discussed habit of capitalism to consume and neuter anticapitalist subcultures (see: punk, all pf millennial culture) is actually capable of poisoning capitalism? it only takes one piece that resonates with people to nudge them in a new direction, after all, and if genuine art with an anti-capitalist message can manage to sneak into neutered clones of itself (the broader trend like the OP is focusing on), can it make a difference?

i dunno, but i'm trying to find reasons to be optimistic less than suicidally pessimistic about our culture.

which podcast was this?

also yea sorry to bother you was produced by the same company that made Zero Dark Thirty and Detroit it's pretty clear what they're up to lol

also I don't think any of this really matters other than it'll employ some good people and make some good movies

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love Sorry To Bother You but it was less of a fever dream than I thought it was going to be like there's only one truly weird thing in it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah its basically just weird satire like a smarter vervohoven plus a couple visual metaphors, not like magic realism

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

an actual dog posted:

I love Sorry To Bother You but it was less of a fever dream than I thought it was going to be like there's only one truly weird thing in it

The "white voice" thing is weird, but it ends up mostly being a red herring that makes you more surprised when the really weird thing happens.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

General Dog posted:

The "white voice" thing is weird, but it ends up mostly being a red herring that makes you more surprised when the really weird thing happens.

it's such a good metaphor that it just kinda blends into the movie it's really good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

an actual dog posted:

it's such a good metaphor that it just kinda blends into the movie it's really good

Having seen the trailer and hearing that the movie got off-the-rails crazy toward the end, I thought it was going to turn out that the "white voice" was an alien or parasite that lived inside of him (and maybe lived inside of all white people). Kudos to the movie for zigging where I expected it to zag, but I was kind of looking forward to the movie I thought it would be.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

an actual dog posted:

which podcast was this?

also yea sorry to bother you was produced by the same company that made Zero Dark Thirty and Detroit it's pretty clear what they're up to lol

also I don't think any of this really matters other than it'll employ some good people and make some good movies

Millennials are Killing Capitalism.

yeah i don't think the film itself is going to save us, but seeing something objectively subversive in mainstream market theaters made me hopeful and even happy at least for a couple hours

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Frog Act posted:

I have more to say about this later but I’m rereading Transmetropolitan for the first time in many years and it’s considerably less insightful satire than I remembered and more Warren Ellis or whatever thinking its hilarious to use the words “dead dogs cock”. instead of using the City and it’s insanity as the hyper individuated dystopian technocapitalist hellhole it is depicted as to weave coherent political allegory, Spider Jerusalem just swears and writes columns that sound like a Social Democratic version of Hunter Thompson with brain damage shat them out in an afternoon and the comics treat them like huge revelations

it was always at least 25% cringeworthy but worth reading because the art and the setting are great up until it disappears entirely up its own rear end and simultaneously the art gets really bad

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

living in the south, I've been forced to see remember the titans about 15 times

Theres also that bizarre scene where the new pretty boy player kisses one of the racist jocks and its played off as a joke

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Its been fascinating watching 70s sitcoms and seeing just what a number the Reagan years did for gay rights. Completely destroyed the notion in me that these kinds of issues were seeing a slow, steadying march towards the right side of history. Shows like All in the Family, Maude, Alice, Soap, etc, would portray gay men as just being extremely ordinary. Never caricatures, just boring regular dudes with ordinary interests and ordinary professions (in some cases even typically hypermasculine ones like quarterback or boxer), always to make the bigots look like a big steaming morons.

The 80s were a complete wasteland and then when the 90s happened and we saw this huge spike in gay representation (white male only ofc), it was almost always completely insulting garbage. Will & Grace, Sex and the City, the homophobic humor of Friends, all somehow viewed as progressive at the time. Looking at Billy Crystal's performance as Jody then to Sarah Jessica Parker's gay friends was eye-opening to just how much damage was done.

this might not be the right thread for this rant but I was listening to Citations Needed and how they kind of skate around the Chicken and Egg of what influences what and I couldn't help myself.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

and speaking of comics, I read The Dark Knight Returns the other day and I was blown away by all the fascist trash that's weaved into it. Batman is already a pretty fascist superhero, but add in Frank Miller and jesus gently caress

It says a lot that it's touted by comic book fans and critics as one of the best Batman stories ever made

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

Its been fascinating watching 70s sitcoms and seeing just what a number the Reagan years did for gay rights. Completely destroyed the notion in me that these kinds of issues were seeing a slow, steadying march towards the right side of history. Shows like All in the Family, Maude, Alice, Soap, etc, would portray gay men as just being extremely ordinary. Never caricatures, just boring regular dudes with ordinary interests and ordinary professions (in some cases even typically hypermasculine ones like quarterback or boxer), always to make the bigots look like a big steaming morons.

The 80s were a complete wasteland and then when the 90s happened and we saw this huge spike in gay representation (white male only ofc), it was almost always completely insulting garbage. Will & Grace, Sex and the City, the homophobic humor of Friends, all somehow viewed as progressive at the time. Looking at Billy Crystal's performance as Jody then to Sarah Jessica Parker's gay friends was eye-opening to just how much damage was done.

this might not be the right thread for this rant but I was listening to Citations Needed and how they kind of skate around the Chicken and Egg of what influences what and I couldn't help myself.

if anyone tries to tell you that we're living through the bad times just say at least it isn't the 80s

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

an actual dog posted:

if anyone tries to tell you that we're living through the bad times just say at least it isn't the 80s

a time in america where "should it be illegal to murder a gay" was considered a topic for debate by serious thinkers and legal scholars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Time makes fools of us all I guess.