Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Frog Act posted:

still reading Transmetropolitan and it really seems to be degenerating (I'm on #41/60) into this weird medium for warren ellis to deliver like, increasingly insane monologues. #41 is this incredibly explicit series of interviews with fictional child prostitutes about the fictional sex things that happened to them in great detail, followed by a five page lecture from a social worker about how society is fine, its their parents that failed them. a whole page is talking about how it doesn't matter whether the state does something, or if they're poor, but that bad parenting is the cause of child prostitution

its weird and atonal even for transmetropolitan

Transmet is one hundred percent Ellis disappearing up his own rear end while pretending to be HST

I've never done such a hard turnaround on a comic between the first and second reads, and every time since then I've just gotten more disgusted with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Plank Walker posted:

me, a nerd culture aficionado: people who criticize superheroes/sci-fi/video games are uptight and need to embrace their inner child
an actual child: and then spiderman flew in with his bff mario and they beat up evil superman
me: *sigh* FIRSt of all...

As the actual comic book defender here in cspam I agree with this post and when people start to get wound about poo poo at the shop I just go "but it's a comic, who cares"

Like dumb wild poo poo is the best part of comics, gently caress anyone who gets super uptight about canon or what RRALLY happened unless it's like an actual deliberate focus of the plot of a specific story

And I don't mean retcons

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Frog Act posted:

Anyone got any good comic recommendations consistent with the theme of this thread, like comics that actually attempt to creatively express alternatives to capitalist discourse and lifeways or at least self-aware narratives. I've never really read comics except a few popular things years ago that, upon rereading these last few weeks, actually suck rear end (Preacher, Transmetropolitan, and to a lesser extent, Y: The Last Man). simultaneously I've realized I really like the medium when its even remotely well executed, I've also read a decade of Heavy Metal and the early Judge Dredd comics and they're absolutely incredible, like, I can't think of any science fiction media as creatively satirical as the Dredd comics, just nothing that matches them

so is there anything specific yall might suggest reading, particularly things with left-wing themes or critical analysis built into them in worthwhile ways? like I enjoyed the Flintstones comic for all its absurdity because it had some decent commentary even if it was unsubtle as hell

also I despise super heroes

Mark Russell, who wrote Flintstones, also did a Snagglepuss comic about the lavender panic, a porky pig/lex Luther crossover about how Twitter is courting Nazis and doesn't give a gently caress, a Judge Dredd mini about how communism is good, and I'm p sure his new Red Sonja book is going to be about murdering imperialism . So read those

Also, just read more Judge Dredd

Edit please do not read Marshall Law, I am the only person who will ever tell you this but Pat Mills kind of sucks rear end and is at the very least chud adjacent

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 17:12 on Feb 10, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Judge Dredd: Tour of Duty is about the time Dredd tried to make the city not be racist and the system punished him for it it's really good mostly

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Helsing posted:

The real bullshit is calling corporate marketing for children a "culture" in the first place.

the thing is that the fandom around this poo poo existed before the marvel movies created our newest corporate media hellscape so its hard to dismiss it entirely

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks for that huge run on post that doesn't disagree with me or add anything

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Plank Walker posted:

i think you'll find the real origin of canon to be when a bunch of nerds in 382 ad decided which stories to include in their superhero anthology :smugdog:

Rack em bich

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Farm Frenzy posted:

before star wars people cared about poo poo like religion. feel free to use this idea to write the worst phd thesis of all time

Webster's defines religion as

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Farm Frenzy posted:

htey just arent very good movies and they never really have been and its been like 70 years now and its getting sort of rediculous

Dr No whips scrote, there's a scene early on where he checks his room for bugs that's an incredible introduction to the character and there's one character on screen and no dialog

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Frog Act posted:

I've been taking a trip down memory lane to when I was a teenager smoking hella mids and watching Adult Swim and man, satire from the early-mid 2000s has this retrospectively naive fear of fundamentalist Christianity permeating it. I know it was largely a result of Bush resurrecting and repoliticizing the evangelical movement and thus was a legitimate fear but in hindsight. But since those sort of Bush style "compassionate conservative" attempts to paper over the ruthlessness of the right-wing agenda (with a rhetorical cloak derived from the parts of Christianity to which fundies paid lip service) have been subsumed by the frothing insanity of the current conservative discourse in the interim, it feels a lot less threatening today. I'm not trying to claim Trump was some sort of rupture that changed the actual substance of conservative politics or anything but I think its fair to say it represented the end of the Bush-Romney continuum of smoothbrained religious lunatics, at least on a national level. I mean, fear of the Christian right was and is totally coherent, but their role as a cultural apologist for the nihilistic libertarian streak in American ideology are what make them most profoundly dangerous, not the sort of ignorant prescriptive impulses that most frightened writers in the early 2000s into joking about outlawing evolution, or sex ed or graven images or whatever.

anyway, with that in mind, stuff like Squidbillies and Moral Orel remain good comedy, but I wonder how comprehensible their satire will be to subsequent generations that basically missed that period in American political life.

I mean the best part of Moral Orel is the part that's just about how being repressed weirdos hosed up an entire town and the only one to make it out is Orel because he actually becomes disillusioned so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I love that you wrote a bunch of words to say you cNt like poo poo if it's politics are bad and then went but yeah I can like bad things too

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)