Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Pieces of Peace posted:

Sorry To Bother You is the shining light in the poo poo nugget of 2018 which basically anyone who saw movies and posts in cspam knows, but the part I wanted to bring up was in a podcast interview I heard with Boots Riley where he attributes the movie managing to be made with a genuine and earnest anticapitalist message to not just his own authentic experiences as an organizer as well as an artist, but to the "sheer need for content" - basically not just does Hollywood want to make money, but also studio guys who have some influence want to Feel Relevant and Address the Issues.

that got me thinking: is it actually possible that the oft-discussed habit of capitalism to consume and neuter anticapitalist subcultures (see: punk, all pf millennial culture) is actually capable of poisoning capitalism? it only takes one piece that resonates with people to nudge them in a new direction, after all, and if genuine art with an anti-capitalist message can manage to sneak into neutered clones of itself (the broader trend like the OP is focusing on), can it make a difference?

i dunno, but i'm trying to find reasons to be optimistic less than suicidally pessimistic about our culture.

which podcast was this?

also yea sorry to bother you was produced by the same company that made Zero Dark Thirty and Detroit it's pretty clear what they're up to lol

also I don't think any of this really matters other than it'll employ some good people and make some good movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I love Sorry To Bother You but it was less of a fever dream than I thought it was going to be like there's only one truly weird thing in it

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

General Dog posted:

The "white voice" thing is weird, but it ends up mostly being a red herring that makes you more surprised when the really weird thing happens.

it's such a good metaphor that it just kinda blends into the movie it's really good

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

Its been fascinating watching 70s sitcoms and seeing just what a number the Reagan years did for gay rights. Completely destroyed the notion in me that these kinds of issues were seeing a slow, steadying march towards the right side of history. Shows like All in the Family, Maude, Alice, Soap, etc, would portray gay men as just being extremely ordinary. Never caricatures, just boring regular dudes with ordinary interests and ordinary professions (in some cases even typically hypermasculine ones like quarterback or boxer), always to make the bigots look like a big steaming morons.

The 80s were a complete wasteland and then when the 90s happened and we saw this huge spike in gay representation (white male only ofc), it was almost always completely insulting garbage. Will & Grace, Sex and the City, the homophobic humor of Friends, all somehow viewed as progressive at the time. Looking at Billy Crystal's performance as Jody then to Sarah Jessica Parker's gay friends was eye-opening to just how much damage was done.

this might not be the right thread for this rant but I was listening to Citations Needed and how they kind of skate around the Chicken and Egg of what influences what and I couldn't help myself.

if anyone tries to tell you that we're living through the bad times just say at least it isn't the 80s

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Al! posted:

huh that's weird sorry to bother you isn't on this list i wonder why

it's because they didn't run an oscar campaign lol