Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/vincentdonofrio/status/1091141711458373632

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That cover got me excited to read Mooncakes but then I looked it up and it's not actually about cooking. Why are there no American comics about cooking?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I thought Space Battle Lunchtime had made up sci fi food? Flavor looks interesting though

Alaois posted:

it's guy goodbody trying to find something to bitch about wrt western comics and their clear inferiority to manga

Hey, two GNs and two limited series isn't that much. I think it's reasonable that most of them flew under my radar

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Benito Cereno posted:

This is the same weird thing that leads to the Goofy-Pluto “problem.” It’s not actually a problem because Goofy’s not actually a dog. Donald isn’t a duck. Mickey isn’t a mouse. They are humans who are caricatured as dogs, ducks, mice. Carl Barks and Don Rosa would 100% back me up on this.

edit: Pluto is a dog

Or how do tables work at Redwall? The animals are closer to the same size than they are in real life, but a badger is still like three or four times the height of a shrew. So how does it work when they all sit down at the same table?

The answer is don't worry about it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Two issues of the Wonder Woman story arc where she lost her powers and became a kung fu spy were written by Samuel Delany. As far as I can tell, they were the only superhero comics he ever wrote.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a shame it got derailed, and one of the issues was wrapping up a Denny O'Neil story. His second and last issue is interesting, involving a Diana who's not just powerless but homeless joining a radical womens' group and fighting against exploitative labor practices. There's a marvelous bit in it which remains pretty stinging in the context of WW's publication history, where a corrupt and sexist business-owner tries to co-opt Diana as a faux-feminist figurehead, and you know, she tells him where he can put his proposal. IIRC his projected plan for the whole run would have culminated in WW defending an abortion clinic from bad-guys-- very much in line with the socially conscious wing of DC at the time but also much more, and much more Delany-- I can see a lot of the issues he writes about so movingly in Times Square Red/Times Square Blue incubating in his ideas for WW.

It has a pretty good cliff-hanger, too-- Diana and her new friends go storm the guy's department store, rescue their captive friend, and put him away, then at the end a bunch of other women confront her about having lost their jobs thanks to her. It's super dense and twisty and fun-- it reminds me a lot of G. Willow Wilson's early Ms. Marvel arcs.

It's the only issue in the entire run that feels like it has a clear idea of what the gently caress it's doing. I actually kinda like the kung fu spy Wonder Woman, but it's real bad. Wonder Woman wears mod clothes and has a new love interest every issue, and that was the extent of their ideas. It's mostly modern day crook and spy stuff but every now and then she'll get pulled into a fantasy world and have a barbarian battle. That's the only real fantasy or sci-fi aspect of the run, Wonder Woman visits three or four different barbarian worlds and has barbarian battles there. Also Wonder Woman does yoga, which at the time people thought was magic. It's a plot point that Wonder Woman does yoga therefore she can go several days without eating or drinking.

I wish they had let Delaney write it for a while longer but It's kind of amazing they let the series stagger around for as long as they did. And the final issue is a hilariously clean break. They kill her sidekick, put her back on Themyscira, erase her memory of the whole thing, and immediately jump into a new storyline about Wonder Woman's secret black sister, Nubia.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

It's women's history month but listing all the instances of rape and fridging in comics sounds depressing

you could list all the good female comic writers and artists instead

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The greatest horror action comic of all time, Dorohedoro, is written and drawn by a lady. It's got tons of great bloody fights, disgusting body horror, and like five will they won't they romances that are super cute and not just aggravating like most will they won't they romances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr Hootington posted:

This comic sucks

I've only read the first 9 volumes so far, and maybe it gets worse later, but the part I've read has been fantastic