Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

PantsBandit posted:

TY. I'm also curious, how bad is the penalty for losing units? It seems like sometimes the best strategy is to sacrifice a unit of swordsman or war puppers if it puts you in an advantageous situation, but I'm worried it's tanking my score.

IIRC only speed is taken into account for ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
There is none. Sending wounded units to die for Glorious Mother Cherrystone is a vital tactic.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Yeah, go nuts go fast.

The AI seems to really underplay the strength of warships, to the point I think they might ignore them? The commander of 7-1 was taken out in six? I think turns because they didn't retreat in range of one for some reason.

Which made it really anti-climatic. I think that's also the only campaign map you get with commanders and warships, but there's always arcade.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think every time I've lost against the AI so far it's been me underestimating how much damage every unit in range of my CO will do to them and just whittling them down to death.

I'm better about pulling back before they get owned now but MAN if the AI is in range of the CO it seems like they will do nothing else. It's like APCs in AW

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Finally beat 7-2 without using bugs or anything :unsmith:

i have never micromanaged so much bubblewrap in my life. And i played 40k

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The latter puzzle maps are amazing. I'm down to the last one. I haven't looked yet but I see from the menu that your commander is Sedge and I foresee absolute maximum number crunching bullshit to get like six units down to exactly 35%.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
wow 6-2 is a fucker

died to five merfolk and a warship because I couldn't spawn enough botes to not lose my hq

edit: also apparently the ai is straight up incapable of using transports of any kind

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 13, 2019

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well the last puzzle was very disappointing. Moved less than half of the units given.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Fedule posted:

Well the last puzzle was very disappointing. Moved less than half of the units given.

Yeah I was expecting the last two puzzles to take me a long rear end time considering how difficult Winding Bridge was for me. I ended up one shotting them :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So I'm doing the mission where it's Green Finger vs Sedge (one of the early side missions) and think I need a little help.

So it's a symmetrical map, with 3 islands. I easily take the center island every time, giving me plenty of income. The issue is, when I try to start moving units over to Sedge's island to try and finish things off I end up in a battle of attrition, with him slowly whittling away at my units while I try and ferry reinforcements over from my bases.

What's the strategy when you're at the point where your frontline needs to be pressed all the way up to the opposing stronghold? How do you keep the pressure on them when you've got a longer distance to travel to get more units?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

PantsBandit posted:

So I'm doing the mission where it's Green Finger vs Sedge (one of the early side missions) and think I need a little help.

So it's a symmetrical map, with 3 islands. I easily take the center island every time, giving me plenty of income. The issue is, when I try to start moving units over to Sedge's island to try and finish things off I end up in a battle of attrition, with him slowly whittling away at my units while I try and ferry reinforcements over from my bases.

What's the strategy when you're at the point where your frontline needs to be pressed all the way up to the opposing stronghold? How do you keep the pressure on them when you've got a longer distance to travel to get more units?

Wagons really help. Getting some trebuchets up there also helps stop them from getting anything going.

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

PantsBandit posted:

Keep your commander on the bottom part of the center island and it'll make Sedge focus his efforts towards that part. Build a deathball of like 5-6 units on the top half and have them go rolling across the northern bridge once you've got enough to deal with his base.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Gotcha, thanks for the tips guys. For a while I was running two trebuchets on that map, but with how expensive they are by the time I could afford to buy the second and get it all the way into position it just didn't feel worth it, so now I'm sticking with one.

I'll give it another shot tonight. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Wagons are absolutely crucial on that map. Have one Wagon for each Barracks constantly shuttle Stabbers up to the frontlines, occasionally taking a unit or Greenfinger back to a property to heal. Also the Wagons themselves can be used as a meatshield in a pinch.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

DangerDan posted:

Keep your commander on the bottom part of the center island and it'll make Sedge focus his efforts towards that part. Build a deathball of like 5-6 units on the top half and have them go rolling across the northern bridge once you've got enough to deal with his base.

Also remember a knight will probably one shot a property if they crit. Keep a mage at their side and you got a nice one-two punch.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to view your campaign rank? I can see the stars, but that doesn't show A vs S?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Is there a way to view your campaign rank? I can see the stars, but that doesn't show A vs S?

A rank and S rank have different-color flags on the world map.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Finally got around to dealing with epilogue and goddamn that map is a slog.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Just got to a mission with villagers. I checked to see if they could capture settlements, no dice. Am I to assume these guys are just human shields? Their codex entries say they don't fulfill any strategic purpose but I disagree.

edit: Oh I guess it's a side-objective to protect these dumb lemmings

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 14, 2019

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

PantsBandit posted:

Just got to a mission with villagers. I checked to see if they could capture settlements, no dice. Am I to assume these guys are just human shields? Their codex entries say they don't fulfill any strategic purpose but I disagree.

edit: Oh I guess it's a side-objective to protect these dumb lemmings
I know Wars games require a certain amount of callousness to all these little computer people in pursuit of the big picture, but yikes.

e: Protecting civilians is what separates us from Black Hole.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 15, 2019

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"One death is a tragedy, one million is a statistic." - Colin

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Swordsman Unit #327- we will all remember your brave sacrifice of slicing a bunch of health off of that mage before getting stabbed by the spear guy who was unfortunately standing next to another spear guy

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Swordsman Unit #327- we will all remember your brave sacrifice of slicing a bunch of health off of that mage before getting stabbed by the spear guy who was unfortunately standing next to another spear guy

A tear shed for the fallen

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I’m missing a lore page, between Fell Gauntlet and Vampires. It says “play more campaign missions”. I have completed every campaign mission. Help?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I used a villager to block enemies from reaching my near-death commander one time, so that was neat. They went after my stronghold instead, so I didn't even have to sacrifice the villager to pull it off.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Fedule posted:

I’m missing a lore page, between Fell Gauntlet and Vampires. It says “play more campaign missions”. I have completed every campaign mission. Help?

I don't remember where I got it, though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Sokani posted:

I used a villager to block enemies from reaching my near-death commander one time, so that was neat. They went after my stronghold instead, so I didn't even have to sacrifice the villager to pull it off.

That's good because if one of them dies you lose

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Oh dang

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Fedule posted:

I believe that one is at the end of arcade mode, actually...

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

The developers posted some notes on the upcoming patch on Reddit:

quote:

Hi everyone! Yesterday we ran a Twitch stream to give you all a first-look at our plans for the upcoming quality-of-life / community feedback patch for Wargroove. The release date of this patch is still TBC, but hopefully you'll be looking forward to the features we're adding and addressing:

Checkpoint system
While playing in campaign mode you'll be able to set a checkpoint in a mission, and then if you're defeated you can retry from this checkpoint. You can set a checkpoint whenever you want, but you can only have one active at a time (previous gets overwritten)

Difficulty system overhaul
Following player feedback we're now adding 5x difficulty presets - Story, Easy, Medium, Hard (Default) & Custom.
Hard is the standard rules of the game and the only mode where you can obtain S-ranks.
Medium is a bit easier and allows up to 3 stars, Easy limits you to 2 stars & Story to 1 star (and is very easy indeed!)

Multiplayer
You can now add CPU players to online games. There’s now also a message clarifying that you must join a match if you don’t have any in progress.
A number of fixes have been made to Quick Play timers, and you can now no longer suspend Quick Play matches and play other games in the meanwhile, since they’re supposed to be real-time.
Seven maps designed specifically for co-op will also be added.

General Quality of Life
The effectiveness chart on unit info and recruit screens has been reworked to be far more readable and informative!
Skipping battles, captures and cutscenes is now much faster, and S Rank requirements will now be displayed on the overview screen for a mission.
“Exit” has been renamed to “Suspend” to avoid confusion and you can now see teams on the Overview screen.
Fix has been made to international text input on Switch, and the Korean font has also been added.
Display the Controller Select Applet on Switch less often (so only shows up when using local multiplayer).

New options:
We're adding a “Movement Speed” option that allows you to set all units to move faster, as well as a “Confirm End Turn” option to avoid accidental end of turns.
A “Damage Range” option is also being added to display minimum and maximum damage on previews, instead of average damage.

Fog of War:
Allies now share vision, and eliminated players can still see their team vision - thus becoming spectators.
Now spectators can only view the current team’s vision, rather than the whole whole map.
Enemy income and funds will now be hidden! Spawn effects and building colours will also not be shown inside fog of war. Likewise, battle and capture animations won't be shown unless at least one of the units is visible to the current player.
Fix made to “sonar” bug that allowed you to obtain extra information within fog of war.

Plus further fixes and tweaks

If you want to check out the full stream VOD you can find it here: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/380591385
We'll release a full changelog once the patch is available. In the meanwhile, we hope this list addresses a lot of the community feedback so far. Thanks for playing!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

quote:

A “Damage Range” option is also being added to display minimum and maximum damage on previews, instead of average damage.

This is good but better would be turning it off entirely (like they do for Puzzles) or at least rejiggering it to +0-10.

Anyway, that aside, this is excellent. This is, like, literally everything I thought needed to be patched.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That update sounds loving amazing.

I really hope that, along with making it harder to end your turn, they make it harder to make units just Wait. I've had so many loving trebuchets that waste a turn cause of that :argh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Update sounds great!

Just wound up unlocking puzzle mode and screwing around with it. I like it; it's kinda like a tutorial on various intricacies of the game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only thing I'd want more from that update is some kind of small buff to soldiers but oh well. I'm deep in chapter 3 and my main complaint so far is how often some missions devolve into a stalemate until I get like 2 trebuchets, put them near the main zone contested, and use them to push forward inch by inch. I can't think of the last time I didn't use a strategy of "just hold the main line barely until I get 2 or 3 trebs there and leapfrog them" there's just not other goddamn way to win in some of these story missions. Maybe I feel the game is slower because you have to beat down a base first and THEN capture it unlike advance wars + you cannot combine units, only reinforce at bases.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
drat man 4-1 was kicking my rear end. I beat it after four tries, but only got a C rank! I guess there must be some way to actually rush the stronghold, but I got surrounded every time I tried. Seems like you really gotta know how to manipulate the AI in some of these maps.

Want to go through campaign with no guides the first time through though. I'll go back and read up on how to get S ranks after.

I beat Advance Wars campaign recently, but this game seems a lot more difficult! The AI makes lots of dumb mistakes, but they always start with huge advantages.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game rules but man I would kill for an "undo" or even an "are you sure?" prompt on certain actions.

Accidentally having your hero or a strong unit like a trebuchet "wait" can completely gently caress your game.

quote:

Checkpoint system
While playing in campaign mode you'll be able to set a checkpoint in a mission, and then if you're defeated you can retry from this checkpoint. You can set a checkpoint whenever you want, but you can only have one active at a time (previous gets overwritten)

That'll help at least, so you don't have to completely start over from the beginning if you gently caress up a move.

Also move speed option, thank you!

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Draxamus posted:

drat man 4-1 was kicking my rear end. I beat it after four tries, but only got a C rank! I guess there must be some way to actually rush the stronghold, but I got surrounded every time I tried. Seems like you really gotta know how to manipulate the AI in some of these maps.

Want to go through campaign with no guides the first time through though. I'll go back and read up on how to get S ranks after.

I beat Advance Wars campaign recently, but this game seems a lot more difficult! The AI makes lots of dumb mistakes, but they always start with huge advantages.

Wagons! They're incredibly useful for securing ground early, and later for shuffling slower units like spearmen closer to the frontlines. For 4-1 you want to buy a Wagon on your first turn and immediately load Nuru into and send her off to capture the Barracks in the north. The A.I. likes to concentrate its forces to wherever you have your commander, so the they'll leave openings on other fronts; on 4-1, they'll leave their southern flank undefended, allowing you to capture the Barracks there with only like four spearmen and then push northwards. I was able to get an A rank on it even though I messed up a number of times, like leaving a trebuchet in the open to get smacked by a giant. :doh:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

4-1 is legitimately one of my favourite missions so far and felt really Advance Wars 2-like

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

This game rules but man I would kill for an "undo" or even an "are you sure?" prompt on certain actions.

Accidentally having your hero or a strong unit like a trebuchet "wait" can completely gently caress your game.

That'll help at least, so you don't have to completely start over from the beginning if you gently caress up a move.

Also move speed option, thank you!

Advance Wars would have End Turn at the bottom of the menu list, to prevent people from accidentally ending their turn prematurely. Its insane this doesn't follow the same conventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Borsche69 posted:

Advance Wars would have End Turn at the bottom of the menu list, to prevent people from accidentally ending their turn prematurely. Its insane this doesn't follow the same conventions.

I don't know why waiting without moving is even an option. That's dumb. Moving and then waiting makes sense, sometimes you're just moving. But just waiting on the spot you started the turn on?

You're allowed to end turn with units having not moved, so there's really no reason for that to exist.

Having your hero character just "wait" without even moving can easily completely ruin your match.

E: Also, if you move a unit and it doesn't attack anybody, you should be able to undo that move as long as you haven't made any other moves yet. So if you just did "wait", you should be able to un-do that. Or if you move, and realize you wish you'd moved one square over or something. Would be a nice quality of life improvement. I wouldn't let people un-do moves that involve attacks necessarily though, that's on you. Although maybe why not, make it a difficulty option.