Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
OP that picture is very good, please send your cool dad to me!

Tineye and the like yield no exact matches so it isn't a mass produced print (or at least not a popular one)

It is remarkably similar to most Korean folk art so perhaps this will send you down the right path

Gay Weed Dad fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

The one on the left is really close and the OPs painting might be an attempt at making a mirror image version and they horribly messed up on the face and legs. I like the OPs painting for the messed up face though. That is the part that makes me laugh like a moron. The tiny little feet are also hilarious. The double pupil on the left image is interesting though.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So basically this art style was intentionally mocking, to take power away from something the common man feared? That makes it even cooler.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Get that thing reproduced. Or at least a high res scan. It has potential to be the next Get Out frog.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Donovan Trip posted:

So basically this art style was intentionally mocking, to take power away from something the common man feared? That makes it even cooler.

OG Krusty Tiger

ThawedGladiator
Aug 29, 2008
CAT DRUGS

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

COMRADES posted:

OG Krusty Tiger

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer

naem
May 29, 2011

my dads’s dead

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Please take your pet to the doctor it is not well

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
You never know what’s gonna come through that door.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful asymmetry?

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"
i'd really like this painting please

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dont know which post is funniest :D

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

pixaal posted:

A local novice painter might be happy to do them on the cheap as practice if you pay for supplies. My grandfather used to do a bunch of famous paintings and then sell the reproductions. He did a decent enough job, you just have to make sure you reference the original painting and that you are selling duplicates. The hard part is going to be getting someone who will do it cheap enough since I think the sweet spot is going to be $10-20 shipped considered the OP admitted the original is only $4.

I might still have some old rear end manilla paper that'd be pretty good for a reproduction. How big is the original?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Jus some thigersth and birbsth hangin out, gettin wild, thup?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

hell yea

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Stickied for op shame and photoshops

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

YOURFRIEND posted:

The little blue orbs on the tree weird me out. They look like hateful fungus

Those are just juniper berries. That tiger's messed up on gin.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Huh... there's more than one. What is this? Is there some folk tale of the hosed-face tiger and his wise bird mentor?

Edit: He even has the same dick tail. Is that part of the folk tale?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Traditional Korean tiger cubism was so far ahead of the Western arts.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

LabyaMynora posted:

Huh... there's more than one. What is this? Is there some folk tale of the hosed-face tiger and his wise bird mentor?

Edit: He even has the same dick tail. Is that part of the folk tale?

Google reverse image search thinks it's https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minhwa

Specifically:
Kkachi horangi (까치호랑이) is a prominent genre of minhwa that depicts magpies and tigers. In kkachi horangi paintings, the tiger, which is intentionally given a ridiculous and stupid appearance (hence its nickname "idiot tiger" 바보호랑이), represents authority and the aristocratic yangban, while the dignified magpie represents the common man. Hence, kkachi horangi paintings of magpies and tigers were a satire of the hierarchical structure of Joseon's feudal society.[3][4]

Seems right.A thread where we try and make our own might be fun, I have no artistic talent so I'll just leave the idea here.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

pixaal posted:

Specifically:
Kkachi horangi (까치호랑이) is a prominent genre of minhwa that depicts magpies and tigers. In kkachi horangi paintings, the tiger, which is intentionally given a ridiculous and stupid appearance (hence its nickname "idiot tiger" 바보호랑이), represents authority and the aristocratic yangban, while the dignified magpie represents the common man. Hence, kkachi horangi paintings of magpies and tigers were a satire of the hierarchical structure of Joseon's feudal society.[3][4]

Seems right.A thread where we try and make our own might be fun, I have no artistic talent so I'll just leave the idea here.

You forgot the best part

"The paintings worked on a number of levels. They show Kkangi (보호랑) from folk mythology and legends, symbols of happiness, wealth and health, and scenes of everyday life. The most common figures were animals that represented power (such as "human being dog" 까치호랑이), or providential tokens (such as "puri-puri carp" 호랑랑이), which represent success. The paintings were done on paper and on canvas."

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

That's the artist, screaming at having been turned into a cat in his own painting

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, it's difficult to sketch anything in a realistic fashion while eating it

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Tony Snark posted:

Tyger Tyger, burning bright,
In the forests of the night;
What immortal hand or eye,
Could frame thy fearful asymmetry?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

pixaal posted:

Specifically:

Thank you, this was very informative. I still don't get the dicktail though... like, the rich are such idiots that they use their tails as dicks? Whut?

I also wonder if these paintings are banned in North Korea... I assume yes.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm an art expert and it's worth one million dollars. You're welcome op.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

King of Bees posted:

Will you buy it?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

King of Bees posted:

Best I can do is 50 bucks

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013

King of Bees posted:

This guy is lying. This piece is cursed! You should give it to me!

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I found this:

at a flea market not too long ago and I posted it here to find someone to help figure out wtf it was.

I eventually found out it was a page from "Nihon fūzoku zue" (Genre Paintings of Japan), which was published in 1914. It was a collection of Edo period woodblocks and descriptions of professions at the time originally from "Wakoku shoshoku ezukushi" (Collection of Pictures of Various Occupations in Japan) by Hishikawa Moronobu.

Mine is apparently someone banging on a wagon wheel. Its prob worth 5 bucks or whatever but it is a pretty cool decorative piece and it was cool researching it. I learned a lot about an esoteric subject I wouldn't have otherwise.

Art is good.

no pubes yet sorry fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 2, 2019

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

:woop:

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

your dad's painting owns

congrats op!!

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Your dad is dumb in a good way.