Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
They literally can't imagine any possible way to do it because in their minds, Medicare for all consists of keeping the same rotten & inefficient system and simply multiplying it by everybody -- and you're left with a giant check to write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Why the gently caress is Pelosi asking us? Congress has the power to investigate so she should figure it the gently caress out. It's not up to the people to provide answers to Congress.

Though if she wanted a hint maybe she should start with the numerous papers examining the cost savings effects that single payer would have for the nation.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/reidepstein/status/1101240631010213893?s=21

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Reign Of Pain posted:

Is there another way to pay for free school & healthcare for everyone without increasing the debt and scaring away people with teh monay?

You could create some kind of super efficient.. national health service. Being as we're torching ours it'd be fitting if you took on the mantle.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
gently caress biden, gently caress harris, gently caress clinton

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

Hexyflexy posted:

You could create some kind of super efficient.. national health service. Being as we're torching ours it'd be fitting if you took on the mantle.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

The Eyes Have It posted:

They literally can't imagine any possible way to do it because in their minds, Medicare for all consists of keeping the same rotten & inefficient system and simply multiplying it by everybody -- and you're left with a giant check to write.

Never mind all the incredibly impressive boondoggles the US has found a way to fund over the years without encountering these issues, such as: the Apollo space program; the B2 Spirit; ARPANET; multiple decades long asymmetrical military conflicts.

Okay, so the key to funding Medicare for All is to find a way for Lockmart to make some money out of it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

mods changed my name posted:

gently caress the boomers

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Yes nevermind all the countries that have national health service.

No way they can compare to good old USA USA USA!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

yeah it doesn't just work at scale, insurance (and honestly any risk-sharing system) works better as you scale it up

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My favorite recent bit was when people complained that AOC's NGD couldn't be paid for without deficit spending or raising taxes.

whut

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Yup

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Onion Biden best biden

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1101262483438878720?s=19

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
let's go riot

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Internet Wizard posted:

Yaaaas Nancy killing it as per much respect she’s my hero

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1101185031681257472?s=21

No wait she sucks and the sooner she’s dumped the better

Write to her. Complain to her. Push her. It's possible.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Hexyflexy posted:

I would probably agree if the lovely NHS that underpaid doctors in New Zealand so they all hosed off to Oz didn't accidentally kill my mother.

Experienced doctors in NZ piss off to Oz to make real money or they open private only practices and despite the fact that your mum volunteers at a hospital and has a history of having non-hodgkins lymphoma they still say you have pneumonia and by the time that the 27 y/o "doctor" figures it out its too late to get a full dose of chemo because experience costs monay...and then the chinese "doctor" that became a "doctor" after 2 years forgets to give you a script for thrush so the entire inside of her mouth gets eaten away by bacteria because she no longer has an effective immune system. Yay NHS systems that will always be underfunded because sick people are expensive and its cheaper if they just loving die.

gently caress the whole god damned loving world in its dirty rotten shithole, just fyi

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Don Dongington posted:

Never mind all the incredibly impressive boondoggles the US has found a way to fund over the years without encountering these issues, such as: the Apollo space program

I'd hardly consider Apollo to be an "incredibly impressive boondoggle."

Edit: LOL loving ARPANET gently caress off

McNally fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 1, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Don Dongington posted:

Never mind all the incredibly impressive boondoggles the US has found a way to fund over the years without encountering these issues, such as: the Apollo space program; the B2 Spirit; ARPANET; multiple decades long asymmetrical military conflicts.

Okay, so the key to funding Medicare for All is to find a way for Lockmart to make some money out of it.

What do you think boondoggle means?

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

McNally posted:

I'd hardly consider Apollo to be an "incredibly impressive boondoggle."

When NASA started sending astronauts into space, they quickly
Discovered that humans would not work in zero
Gravity. To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a
Decade and $12 billion developing a robot that works in zero
Gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface including glass
And at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C.

The Russians sent a gopnik.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

gently caress booker
https://twitter.com/AM2DM/status/1101141324831420416

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Don Dongington posted:

Just like we figured out in WW1: healthier citizens make better soldiers

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blyat highway

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Don Dongington posted:

Talk smack on the blackbird next, I loving dare you.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallom posted:

Just like we figured out in WW1: healthier citizens make better soldiers

And WWII, we started the National Free School Lunch Program because 1 in 3 draftees were turned away due to malnutrition health issues.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Otto hanged himself with the poster he stole.

-Donald J. Trump

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Okay full disclosure I started writing about actual boondoggles and then switched to things that cost a lot but actually had value and didn't go back to edit it.

I maintain that the Internet was a mistake.

BigDave posted:

And WWII, we started the National Free School Lunch Program because 1 in 3 draftees were turned away due to malnutrition health issues.

Isn't there a huge problem with this even today in the volunteer army? I remember a month or two ago people were posting anecdotes about people hitting boot with life-threatening dental ulcers and all sorts of other treatable conditions that they couldn't deal with financially prior to signing up...

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Don Dongington posted:

Isn't there a huge problem with this even today in the volunteer army? I remember a month or two ago people were posting anecdotes about people hitting boot with life-threatening dental ulcers and all sorts of other treatable conditions that they couldn't deal with financially prior to signing up...

Different problems, same idea. National lunch program was meant to combat rickets and vitamin deficiencies. Rednecks still show up to MEPS with hookworm and dental abscesses.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
My states national guard instituted a program to fix folks teeth because so many of them were non deployable due to dental issues.

I didn't qualify despite having a messed up grille. I guess folks had some really really bad teeth.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

Anecdotal reports from other mobilization sites seemed to
confirm the Chief of Staff's observations. For example, an A M
Times article featured the story of a reservist at Fort Campbell,
Kentucky, who had to be taken to the operating room to remove
several badly decayed teeth. 6 At other sites, there were stories
of Reserve and Guard soldiers whose teeth fell out with the mere
touch of a dental instrument, and many who had to have all their
teeth removed because of advanced dental decay or periodontal
disease. 7 When similar reports were received by members of
Congress, attention to dental health in the reserve forces became
a matter of even greater concern.

https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a262249.pdf

And this is from 1992.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Don Dongington posted:

I maintain that the Internet was a mistake.

:same:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I, a lifelong civilian, have had dental work done by an active duty Ft. Bragg dr at 7pm on a saturday night because my regular dentist thought calling him in for a zero notice consult 2 hours away from base would help her get his D.

It did not.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
A year or two ago the military identified obesity as a serious obstacle to recruitment. Finding physically fit kids is harder now. there was a paper written and some generals signed their name.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Perhaps the kids have some common sense as well.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Waroduce posted:

A year or two ago the military identified obesity as a serious obstacle to recruitment. Finding physically fit kids is harder now. there was a paper written and some generals signed their name.

the traditional recruiting grounds have basically collapsed to the point its either obesity or crippling meth addiction

this is of course, a feature of capitalism.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thalantos posted:

My states national guard instituted a program to fix folks teeth because so many of them were non deployable due to dental issues.

I didn't qualify despite having a messed up grille. I guess folks had some really really bad teeth.

My first company had a few cases of meth mouth that were vastly improved by grilles.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Better nutrition and free school lunches, a publicly funded massive project to fix our crumbling infrastructure, universal healthcare (including dental and mental healthcare), funding our public schools, and addressing climate change will all greatly benefit our country, and greatly increase our national security. Which is a good thing.

But of course all that poo poo would take rich people's and corporations' money and/or deficit spending, which of course we can only do to fund dumb wars or to give money to people who dont need it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Waroduce posted:

My kids are healthy as hell but have the 'tism and dyslexia so they should be safe from being recruited.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

I've heard the same and worse from some former Army dentists who were in-processing recruits at Benning during OIF. At least the clinics and dental staff were pretty top notch but for many it was the first time they'd ever seen a dentist in their life.

Apparently you could tell at a glance which ones were coming from areas without fluoridated water which was one of the reasons why they had a lab set up for quick turnaround dentures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We had a dude in my Basic who said that Benning was the first time he lived somewhere with indoor plumbing in his life, and that was in 02.

He could have been full of poo poo, but he seemed legit.