Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Not like the INF was really enforcing anything anymore.

All hail our mighty protector, Mutually Assured Destruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Thanks for this. I fell asleep reading this and had a pretty good nap. This may be a cure for insomnia.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

What really fucks with people is getting paid a bonus but no withholding is taken out so come tax time they'ree miffed as why they now oww

I don't have those kinds of issues thankfully. My 2,000 Christmas bonus gets taxed the same as my regular wage on payout, so I'm just a wee bit bummed when I only get 1,000 :downs:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Big five were the original nuclear powers: Britain France China Sov’s USA

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Your tax bracket depends on total yearly income. When you get more than usual taken out of a check because of bonuses or OT its because your estimated income has changed.

I still hate the fact that i have to take a yearly withdrawal from my inherited 401k which fucks with my bracket

E: a lady i work with had to explain to her 19 y/o daughter why she couldnt claim 11 on her taxes when she only had 1 kid.....or rather why she owes a lot in taxes now

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 1, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
No, Big Five as in big five acquisition/modernization programs post-Vietnam.

Abrams, Apache, Blackhawk, Patriot, Bradley.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

What about the Big Five of the Safari: lion, leopard, rhinoceros, elephant, and cape buffalo?

Alternatively, we could bright back the Big Seven: Nagato, Mutsu, Nelson , Rodney, Colorado, Maryland and West Virginia

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
What about Big 5, the non-defunct regional sporting goods store that served Washington stage for decades?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
gently caress you deathy I was looking something up about them before making a similar post

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can somebody explain this dummy what the INF is for? If I understand correctly, both the USA and Russia have long range nuclear missiles that can provide the mutually assured destruction. Can those long range missiles not hit targets closer to the launch sites? Why do you even need intermediate range missiles? I'm a big dumb and don't understand this.

Edit: I guess at the very least, the treaty reduces the total amount of nuclear weapons, which is good. But is there anything more to it?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Intermediate range missiles travel lower and faster, like 5 minutes from a Russian launch to Berlin. Because of this they’re harder to react too with positive confirmation. If you think a bunch of missiles are minutes away from striking do you retaliate or do you wait?

Hence why everyone had the bright idea of just banning them since if nobody had them you couldn’t accidentally misidentify a launch and kick off the apocalypse.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think they're meant as nation destroying missiles as much as stuff for smaller scale stuff, more mobility and stuff like that. Probably more tempting to use in a losing battle and likely to escalate to the big ICBMs getting launched, so maybe it's best to limit the temptation.

Like the Cuban Missile Crisis was moving these sort of missiles into range of the USA, or when the USA moved some into Turkey iirc. ICBMs are more easily accounted for and relative easy to track, whereas these smaller ones can basically be put anywhere and create a lot of uncertainty, which is not a good thing when the possibility of like a complete apocalypse is on the line.

At least that's my understanding!

efb

mods changed my name fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 1, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Intermediate range missiles travel lower and faster, like 5 minutes from a Russian launch to Berlin. Because of this they’re harder to react too with positive confirmation. If you think a bunch of missiles are minutes away from striking do you retaliate or do you wait?

Hence why everyone had the bright idea of just banning them since if nobody had them you couldn’t accidentally misidentify a launch and kick off the apocalypse.

Okay but why is this destabilizing / why does the US care? Can't they just kick back, take five, and go check if someone's still answering the phone in Berlin before launching everything?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1091...ingawful.com%2F

:thunk:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

Okay but why is this destabilizing / why does the US care? Can't they just kick back, take five, and go check if someone's still answering the phone in Berlin before launching everything?

It is destabilizing because it removes decision making time and removes incentive to not fully commit the entire strategic arsenal. Also, you're pretty casually writing off a city of millions.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

EBB posted:

It is destabilizing because it removes decision making time and removes incentive to not fully commit the entire strategic arsenal. Also, you're pretty casually writing off a city of millions.

I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

aphid_licker posted:

This is why Europe haaaated the idea of localized tac nukes and intermediate range missiles. Fear US would sit it out if the then-USSR didn’t touch US land with ordnance.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Can somebody explain this dummy what the INF is for? If I understand correctly, both the USA and Russia have long range nuclear missiles that can provide the mutually assured destruction. Can those long range missiles not hit targets closer to the launch sites? Why do you even need intermediate range missiles? I'm a big dumb and don't understand this.

Edit: I guess at the very least, the treaty reduces the total amount of nuclear weapons, which is good. But is there anything more to it?

aphid_licker posted:

They're first strike weapons meant to strike military targets, decapitate leadership, paralyze response, destroy static long-range nuclear missile silos. They're strictly offensive weapons and not a deterrent.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
MAD still works even with hypersonic weapons guys. Russia is showing them off to build national pride, not as a serious use case.

Putin isn't stupid, he know if he ever used one offensively, especially with a nuclear payload of any size, poo poo would roll downhill fast.

And decapitating attacks are largely useless due to how the chain of command works, that's just Clancy stuff.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Bolow posted:

They're first strike weapons meant to strike military targets, decapitate leadership, paralyze response, destroy static long-range nuclear missile silos. They're strictly offensive weapons and not a deterrent.

Yeah, the Soviets back in 83 thought the Pershing IIs could be launched from west germany and hit Moscow in about 8 minutes (to my recollectionm and also their estimates on the pershing's range was optimistic). There would hardly be time for the radar operators to pick up the phone and dial the number before it hit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sure would be a shame to lose that $5000 out of pocket limit that turns into an infinite limit when the insurance company denies all claims as a rule.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Sherrod Brown: Medicare for all not 'practical'

quote:

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) took a shot at some of his fellow Democrats on Friday, saying that "Medicare for all" is not a practical idea.

“I know most of the Democratic primary candidates are all talking about Medicare for all. I think instead we should do Medicare at 55,” Brown said.

:shuckyes:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Buttgag went on a CBS morning show and finally said the thing that I thought would be the obvious argument: every other successful western country has some form of Medicare for All, so why can’t we?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

How are they this terrible? Yes, this is what the base is clambering for, lower the age of eligibility. You morons, you idiots

edit

Fallom posted:

Mr. Buttgag went on a CBS morning show and finally said the thing that I thought would be the obvious argument: every other successful western country has some form of Medicare for All, so why can’t we?

Butt-edge-edge has hit the ceiling for a Democrat in Indiana so this is his best hope. I just wish he would endorse the burning down of Notre Dame in his city.

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
Opinion: ‘Medicare For All’ only sounds like a winner until people realize it means a smaller bonus for me, writes @BruceDBroussard

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Fallom posted:

what about the poor insurance companies? it wouldnt be fair

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

theyre all so scared

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm for not pussy footing around. Rich people are mostly poo poo. Tax them and use the proceeds to fix healthcare.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

theyre all so scared

Yeah it's that economic anxiety again

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment
trick rich people into thinking that breaking big rocks into smaller rocks is the newest thing in exercise

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tryzzub posted:

trick rich people into thinking that breaking big rocks into smaller rocks is the newest thing in exercise
Lose 10 pounds fast by getting your head chopped off.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Poors love big rocks, so breaking them into smaller rocks will deprive the poors of their lovely big rocks.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://facts.elizabethwarren.com/

Hmm I dunno if this is a good idea

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://facts.elizabethwarren.com/

Hmm I dunno if this is a good idea

No one gives a poo poo about what's on a candidates website

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
2019 has a really potent undertow.

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/1091444446183477248?s=19

The governor's office has been silent about it this far. The running joke is that it got missed during the campaign as too many Republicans would get shown the picture and vote for Northam.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

2019 has a really potent undertow.

https://twitter.com/virginianpilot/status/1091444446183477248?s=19

The governor's office has been silent about it this far. The running joke is that it got missed during the campaign as too many Republicans would get shown the picture and vote for Northam.

So, Gov. Fairfax when?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yeah he's probably toast

all hail fairfax

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Seriously, how the gently caress do you miss that?

Though I'm still glad I voted for him over Gillespie. Cause any dipshit telling you they are one in the same is stupid as gently caress. Still wish Perriello won the primary though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

EBB posted:

Bolow posted:

My sticking point was that I do understand why short-ranged nukes in Cuba mattered a lot - short reaction time, decapitation - but I don't understand why short-ranged nukes in Kaliningrad do. They can't decapitate the actually relevant - in the context of nuclear decision-making - government, which is the US one. If US sensors detect a possible short-range missile launch in Europe there is no immediate necessity to make a decision: launching won't save Berlin at that point and the missiles can't reach the US. There's probably something blindingly obvious I'm missing.

Basically this:

mlmp08 posted:

This is why Europe haaaated the idea of localized tac nukes and intermediate range missiles. Fear US would sit it out if the then-USSR didn’t touch US land with ordnance.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2019