Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Woof Blitzer posted:

Coon man

aaaaahhhhh

Champion of the sun

Fighter of the whiteman!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lmao

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

On second thought this is pretty racist so moving on...

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/notlarrysabato/status/1091531238605811712

lol @ the VA GOP right now.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It's amazing that the issue Democrats and Republicans in the Senate can agree to oppose Trump for is one of the very few things Trump gets right.

As for Northam, do you guys think he should resign? He was young and dumb, is that not an acceptable defense if he's changed since then? Basically, for me as a gay guy, I can forgive a politician for making anti-gay remarks or being against gay marriage when they were younger if I think they genuinely changed their mind. It was a different time, and using "that's gay" to describe something bad was normal at that time. Similarly, wearing blackface is rightfully considered racist today, but was wholly mainstream viable a few decades back. And it's not like he was a member of the KKK, working actively to make life worse for racial minorities (as far as we know). That's the big difference to Gabbard, who did work in an explicitly anti-gay organization.

So, depending on what else comes out, his offense is relatively minor? Wearing blackface is a kind of insensitive/unconscious racism, a different thing from using racist slurs or saying all Mexicans are rapists. It's the social media age, I think there really needs to be a realization that young people can do mistakes and change for the better later on. Most Republicans would have defended themselves by saying "wearing blackface is cool and good/I wouldn't do it again, but wearing blackface is not bad/everybody did it then, I did nothing wrong!". Northam apologized relatively quickly. Is he really beyond redemption?

Again, a lot depends on what he says going forward, and if there are bigger bombshells in his past waiting to be uncovered. But what if that's it, he gives a credible apology on air that's longer than the few basic sentences in his press statement, and he voluntarily participates in a sensitivity training course? Would you still call for his resignation?

I'm white, so perhaps I just don't get it. But if the left would drive out everybody who every voted against gay marriage for example, then it would just massively weaken our own position.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

White people have savior complex too and that fucks up a lot more than good.

People can change and understanding that change is the most important thing white people can do without the need to interfere with it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
people can change.

none of these people have changed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Wearing blackface and posing next to someone in a KKK outfit is uh, really bad

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

life isn't a loving rpg where you have a morality score that is a running tally of good and bad poo poo you've done. if you donate to charity and then go punch a baby you're simply an rear end in a top hat who donates to charity

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Virginia's governors are limited to a single term, so there's little political exposure for him, but it's an election year in Virginia and Dems are hoping to retake both the Senate and the House, so they'll probably pressure him to resign.

Then again, the VA GOP is so out of step with 2019 that they'll probably ignore the issue and go after his record of expanding healthcare to poor people.

e: Or even better, attack soon-to-be Governor Fairfax (who's black) for being racist.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 2, 2019

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My buddy is the Chief of Staff to the VA First Lady. Maybe too soon to ask if his resume is current and he's been networking

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
Donald Trump Ready to Run in 2020: "Here's the bottom line: I love doing it. I don’t know if I should love doing it, but I love doing it.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-XwgZSe0is

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Its basically the Bunny Farm for his ego, why would he stop

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Crenshaw getting dunked on. Tried to callout "Harvard prof" but doesn't realize she used to be #2 at DHS

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1091384334366507011?s=20

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

He realizes most people hate their insurance right?

“I have good insurance and I love it”
- said nobody

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

- said nobody

Actually I’m pretty happy with tricare. It’s like 1/4 the price of my old civilian insurance and everything is cheaper for my family. No real issue finding places that take it.

This probably not what they want to hear about a government run entity.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
tricare is humana with government imposed cost controls and standards managed by the defense health agency (formerly tricare management authority)

no we can't have cost controls put into law for everyone else stop asking

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh it's much funnier than that

He's probably not even dead.

https://bitcoinexchangeguide.com/cryptocapital-co-may-be-cryptos-black-swan/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Vasudus posted:

tricare is humana with government imposed cost controls and standards managed by the defense health agency (formerly tricare management authority)

no we can't have cost controls put into law for everyone else stop asking

Heh

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm actually a big fan of privatizing the VA except it's not in a way that remotely resembles all the republican plans which are basically just barely concealed graft.

Switch the vast majority of the VA's patient caseload over to this private, cost controlled healthcare system similar to Tricare. One of the major problems with the VA system is the caseload, but it's not a caseload of issues that are unique to the VA's core population. If my endocrine system is hosed up from toxic exposure related to burn pits, it shouldn't take me forever to see an endocrinologist because some Vietnam vets have da beetus. The core VA system should be reserved for individuals with exceptional cases directly related to military service, staffed by experts with experience handling those unique issues, and everything else should be shuffled off to the regular healthcare system for routine care.

Believe it or not this is basically exactly what the DoD does with their various medical centers of excellence, intrepid spirit centers, etc.

But it will never happen because there's virtually no money to be made with a private insurance company with (proper) government cost controls - Tricare turns juuuuuuuuuuuust enough profit by design that there's a continued private interest in continuing the service. If you apply that system to all healthcare well that's just not American gosh darnit.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Everyone involved agreeing on the pricing in DRG-based systems is one of those things that have no right to work but somehow do

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

- said nobody

I love my insurance, but I’m also in a labor union and rocked Tricare before that. Turns out socialized healthcare has been treating me pretty well.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

- said nobody

I’ve had excellent insurance for the last several years but I require to see the insurance information while interviewing and insurance > salary when weighing on a job move.

But situation is different then most in my experience.

PS best insurance I’ve ever had was with a CA based game development company. Saved my family a fortune when my wife got treatment for her thyroid cancer.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have very good insurance that I never use.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/bldgblog/status...ingawful.com%2F

My DNA sequence links to goatse

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My insurance sucks. Low monthly payment but sky high deductibles. Tempted to go back to my last company just because of the insurance.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've got the VA. Which means I'll be better off walking out into the woods if/when I'm handed a cancer diagnosis.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

drat. This is like some plot device in a Clancy novel you’d pan for being too unrealistic. But hey, here we are.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Well that's my dose of "We live in all the lovely parts of Shadowrun" for today. I'm done now, the world can stop being lovely for a day.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I use the va and am generally ok with it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/1091721529958825984

lol give up dude

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

I use the VA and am happy with my care. VA systems vary wildly though, and I had a terrible time with the Colorado VA system.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A massive problem we have is physician shortage and its gotten so bad even the AMA, which has placed protecting physician pay as their #1 goal for decades, has acknowledged that its gone too far. Access to health care, Medicare, Tricare, UHC, none of it matter if you simply can't see a physician.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
well, if we had universal health care then doctors are basically slaves and I thought libtards hated slavery!!?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is a bit overwrought. I work with most of the programs mentioned in the parent article and

quote:

he researchers admit, they also had to take some serious shortcuts in their proof-of-concept that verge on cheating. Rather than exploit an existing vulnerability in the fqzcomp program, as real-world hackers do, they modified the program's open-source code to insert their own flaw allowing the buffer overflow.

Like, ok what they did was cute, but synthesizing DNA into a preconceived sequence is trivial these days. But to get the error to occur they had to make the program involved in compressing the output datafiles more unstable. They go on to point out that there are "3 other common programs" that get used in this type of work that have vulnerabilities that can generate the needed buffer overflow for their stuff to get out into the wild but since they weren't named I am skeptical about how common they actually are or exactly how vulnerable.

The whole thing is neat and clever but not really a big deal in regard to actual security.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

mine does this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-9L0CKS5Ds

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woof Blitzer posted:

Coon man

aaaaahhhhh

Champion of the sun

That's what I figured it was because I have no clue what the others are trying to sing

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I have a high deductible family plan, and it’s meh. The only reason why I took it was my employer created and funds a hsa account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_zzCLLRvE