Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

I thought they were taxed at a flat 25%.

Every place I've worked at has withheld them at closer to 40%. It works out during the return, but it's a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Virginia's governors are limited to a single term, so there's little political exposure for him, but it's an election year in Virginia and Dems are hoping to retake both the Senate and the House, so they'll probably pressure him to resign.

Then again, the VA GOP is so out of step with 2019 that they'll probably ignore the issue and go after his record of expanding healthcare to poor people.

e: Or even better, attack soon-to-be Governor Fairfax (who's black) for being racist.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 2, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Healthcare should not be a for-profit industry. It should be treated like national defense. An onerous but necessary function for the well being of the country.

Most draftees during WWI were malnourished, which resulted in the first nutrition programs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

McNally posted:

Look, we can talk about Northam until we're black in the face but it's obvious that he has a lot more under the hood than we realize.

I think it's his cross to burn.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wonder how much ad revenue Trump's dumb tweets generate for those guys.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hold on trooper, I know you're not about to get in that tactical vehicle without eye pro.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume the weapon is actually just vodka and not this tech thing.

I'm guessing they've already spent years field testing it at US embassies around the world.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Elizabeth Warren?

We already have Sacagawea coins.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/articles/special-guests-president-trumps-second-state-union-address/

I guess one of the guests for the SOTU is a kid with the last name trump who keeps getting bullied for said last name lol

Look, Baron's had a rough couple of years.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm getting about $5000 less than I got last year due to the SALT bullshit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Generally what do you have to do to end up owing taxes? gently caress with your withholdings a bunch?

Because the tax bill was rushed through at the end of the year, the IRS couldn't provide any guidance to companies on proper withholding rates. A lot of people were still having their pay withheld at rates that presumed you could deduct your state income taxes. As a result, they wound of paying too little.

The tax bill basically transferred money from blue states to red states with no income tax.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 5, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mods changed my name posted:

i can't listen to him speak a single sentence sober, let alone a whole state of the union

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

honestly no one watching that poo poo would be about the only thing that narcissistic piece of poo poo would ever truly care about

I mean it was literally the thing that made him surrender during the shutdown.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That's a lot of white women in white pantsuits.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

John Glenn was the best spaceman politician.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Personally I was hoping Pelosi would gently caress with Donnie and schedule the SOTU for after the next potential shutdown. Hit the fucker right in his narcissism if he tries that poo poo again.

She should have scheduled it during the Superbowl.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Only two people did not stand or clap, Bernie and AOC

Please clap.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if Fairfax and Herring are political hit jobs by the VA GoP, who are facing the prospects of losing both chambers of the legislature this year. Herring is clearly trying to preempt a story that's about to come out.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope Duckworth throws her hat in. So far the Dems have no one without major issues. Two Scoops is a million times worse on every bad trait that Dem candidates have been exposed for having, but of course that never matters.

Duckworth is the only national Dem I'd volunteer for.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

egyptian rat race posted:

Putting down "American Indian" on your state bar paperwork seems lovely, even for a lawyer. I wish they cracked down on all the contractor companies owned by white as gently caress 1/64th Cherokee cardholders who use that to win contracts

If I might go full woke for a second, the whole blood quantum thing is an under-appreciated Jim Crowe campaign that was designed to disenfranchise Native Americans in the South. The Dawes Rolls were a well-intentioned, but catastrophically imperfect attempt to rectify this problem and the effects are still felt to this day. The bottom line is that a lot of white, black, and brown people today have Native American heritage, only a fraction of whom are still forced (by circumstance) to live in the abject (and ignored) poverty of Native American reservations. Warren is a bit disingenuous for playing the whole Native American card and the DNA test was really stupid, but the whole concept of Native ancestry in the US often ignores the social and historical nuances of the whole affair.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah sorry, I am pretty ignorant of how those cards are used. I'm only familiar with my own industry (engineering) and seen companies game that system for minority/female ownership, amongst other things like getting creative with finances to stay below a certain (8-figure) revenue to retain "disadvantaged" status. It sucks.

I see what I assume is someone trying to get an undeserved leg up and I roll my eyes.

Oh man I'm right there with you with regards to it being exploited by white, middle class dudes (the same way that men will give their minority, veteran wives a 50.1% ownership stake in a company to claim all of that). But I'm also loathe to call an individual out on their heritage because it's been over 500 years since the first Europeans came to North America and a lot of "full blooded" natives were excluded from federal recognition for a variety of reasons (see: large groups of the Powhatan in Virginia).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

It's more disingenuous bullshit from that camp. Scratch a "pro-lifer" and you'll see someone who believes women should know their place in a home, gussied up nice with other language like being concerned for the morality of society and the righteous value of the nuclear family and so on.

See also: "The only moral abortion is my abortion. My daughter just made a mistake, those other dirty sluts deserve to be punished"

Also someone who believes in punishing the poor for being poor by doing poo poo like attaching work requirements to Medicaid and SNAP.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

On the other hand, the supreme court.

Mr Beer likes to party. Maybe he'll be the swing vote.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

She has a lot of experience in that regard.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

they really wanted to gently caress David Hogg there for awhile

Only because he was underage

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

if you still have a Wells Fargo account at this point you're a moron

Unfortunately I didn't have a say in them purchasing my mortgage.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you don't think that the complexity and difficulty of appliance and auto repair has increased dramatically over last two decades as opposed to the decades previous, I don't know what to say. My point is that the added utility gained over that time period doesn't always justify that complexity/difficulty and the associated cost.

The reason modern cars are insanely powerful and fuel efficient compared to their 80s counterparts is because of the technology that's used in them. "Easy to fix" doesn't always translate to better.

On the flip side, connecting everything and anything to an app is also dumb. I don't need my fridge to tell me the weather. My phone already does that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I think Northam might actually squeak by, heavily damaged and politically toxic, but Lt. Gov. Fairfax is probably going down. A second woman just came forward and accused him of sexual assault.

I do think this is going to really loving hurt the Dems in VA in 2020.

I dunno, never underestimate the ability of the VA Republican party to alienate basically anyone who isn't a CHUD. Trump has already guaranteed everywhere north of the Rappahannock will stay blue indefinitely, and the rest of the state's GOP seats are only there by the grace of Gerrymandering.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

a friend of mine's dad got assaulted. he's from india and a sikh, and proudly wears his dastaar (the traditional headwear).

you can see where i'm going with this.

i'm so loving pissed right now.

You should walk around with a weapon looking for a redneck to take revenge on.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

PUBG is so... clunky? While it “invented” the modern BR genre fortnite is what made it truly blow up.

Check it out if you haven't played it recently. They fixed a lot of (but not all of) the issues with it and the newest map is really fun.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I think wind turbines are probably to blame.

Insect-killing solar.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

El Chapo found guilty on all counts. How long until a mercenary army facilitates his prison break?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

I'm honestly surprised he didn't get the bin laden treatment

I can't believe he didn't just buy a few Mi-24Ds full of Donbass veterans to abscond with him to a submarine parked off the coast.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Here's some rare good news out of the senate:

Senate passes bill to expand national parks by 1.3 billion acres in US west

quote:

The measure protects 1.3 million acres as wilderness, the nation’s most stringent protection that prohibits even roads and motorized vehicles. It permanently withdraws more than 370,000 acres of land from mining around two national parks, including Yellowstone, and permanently authorizes a program to spend offshore drilling revenue on conservation efforts.

. . .

The legislation establishes four new monuments, including the Mississippi home of civil rights activists Medgar and Myrlie Evers and the Mill Springs Battlefield in Kentucky, home to the decisive first Union victory in the Civil War.

. . .

Perhaps the most significant change the legislation would make is permanently authorizing a federal program that funnels offshore drilling revenue to conserve everything from major national parks and wildlife preserves to local baseball diamonds and basketball courts. Authorization for the popular program, the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), lapsed months ago due to the partial government shutdown and other disputes. Liberals like the fact that the money allows agencies to set aside land for wildlife habitat. Conservatives like the fact that taxpayers don’t have to foot the bill for it.

Congress is now set to reauthorize the fund in perpetuity, though it will not make its spending mandatory. Congressional funding for the program has “fluctuated widely” since its inception in 1965, according to a 2018 Congressional Research Service report. Less than half of the $40 billion that has piled up in the fund during its five decades of existence has been spent by Congress on conservation efforts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Look guys, sometimes it rains on the golf course.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

There's literally apps for that.

It's like that running joke in the DC thread about waiting in line because restaurants don't take reservations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Meh. Outside of middle eastern airlines (and Singapore) that convert half the plane into apartments and a bar for The Gram, it seems like a massive waste of money these days to operate a 4 engine plane unless you're Qantas and need to ferry large numbers of people to the other side of the planet. The B777 carries an rear end ton of people without being a double decker, and the A350 can fly half way around the world without refueling.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Similarly the difference between all seasons and good summer tires is just nuts. The lateral Gs you can pull absolutely blow away even “fancy” all seasons.

Everyone go read this post before we get into another "all seasons are just as good" discussion:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878605&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=31#post492446167

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sounds like another Thursday in TYOOL 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sorry Vas.