Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Hope I live to see someone put a torp into a superyacht

gently caress or a Shipwreck :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

Intermediate range missiles travel lower and faster, like 5 minutes from a Russian launch to Berlin. Because of this they’re harder to react too with positive confirmation. If you think a bunch of missiles are minutes away from striking do you retaliate or do you wait?

Hence why everyone had the bright idea of just banning them since if nobody had them you couldn’t accidentally misidentify a launch and kick off the apocalypse.

Okay but why is this destabilizing / why does the US care? Can't they just kick back, take five, and go check if someone's still answering the phone in Berlin before launching everything?

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

EBB posted:

It is destabilizing because it removes decision making time and removes incentive to not fully commit the entire strategic arsenal. Also, you're pretty casually writing off a city of millions.

Bolow posted:

They're first strike weapons meant to strike military targets, decapitate leadership, paralyze response, destroy static long-range nuclear missile silos. They're strictly offensive weapons and not a deterrent.
My sticking point was that I do understand why short-ranged nukes in Cuba mattered a lot - short reaction time, decapitation - but I don't understand why short-ranged nukes in Kaliningrad do. They can't decapitate the actually relevant - in the context of nuclear decision-making - government, which is the US one. If US sensors detect a possible short-range missile launch in Europe there is no immediate necessity to make a decision: launching won't save Berlin at that point and the missiles can't reach the US. There's probably something blindingly obvious I'm missing.

Basically this:

mlmp08 posted:

This is why Europe haaaated the idea of localized tac nukes and intermediate range missiles. Fear US would sit it out if the then-USSR didn’t touch US land with ordnance.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Everyone involved agreeing on the pricing in DRG-based systems is one of those things that have no right to work but somehow do

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's kinda mindblowing to imagine that for Trump the (presidency of the) US and A is secondary to his dumb house project. Like those Senators who move millions and billions in taxpayer money in exchange for four or five figures in campaign donations. Cool to see how in the end your shirt will always be closer to your heart than your jacket.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bezo's investigator has said that Jeff's phone wasn't hacked. They suspect a government entity intercepted the photos and then turned them over to the national enquirer. loving trump has people trolling jeff's texts for dick pics and gave them to his friends.

Trump pointing his lovely little operation of bootlickers, grifters, and nincompoops at the richest fuckin man on Earth, owner of the internet, and overlord of all the highest-powered lawyers and tech nerds that money can buy seems spectacularly ill-advised even by his standards

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It seems possible that capital-dense societies are going to be able to engineer their way out of total ecosystem collapse, or at least stay juuust barely sort of ahead of the problem. Total-war level mobilization to build vertical indoor farming setups on an absolutely staggering scale, then seamlessly go on to make sealed habitats as CO2 levels become an acute health concern, something like that. As long as they manage to stay out of any nuclear wars with the less fortunate that is.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I fuckin love that bathroom, don't @ me

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's gonna be TheOnionWW1.jpg only with nukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I can't wait to wake up tomorrow to this having turned out to have been a nothingburger of saber rattling because right now I'm not gonna lie I'm a bit spooked.