Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

colachute posted:

and also establish another governor's office. one for him and one for justin fairfax. they'll have equal power, they'll just be separate.

It's comments like these that give me hope, like at the Birth of the Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Foreign wars $3.6 trillion
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Stop funding foreign wars.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

i command the ghost of sherman to rise with an army of the damned to burn atlanta to the ground tonight

Patriots lose it 24-21 in overtime, Pat's fans get drunk and burn Atlanta.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Acebuckeye13 posted:

seriously though god what an awful game, it didn't even have the benefit of a wild comeback like the win over the Falcons. just absolutely terrible

It was like watching two weightlifting bros fight over the kettlebell rack. Just frustration being smashed into anger for two straight hours.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/evanchill/status/1092612522677542913?s=19

Lol! Love to see MRAPs in the hands of Salafists

Good luck getting the maintenance done on those.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Torrannor posted:

It should also be noted that Hezbollah is not just a terrorist organization. It's also a "real" political party. Just like Sinn Fein and the NRA(s) were. Which makes support from some parts the Lebanese diaspora just a lot more likely.

It shouldn't be forgotten that the forces fighting against the Brits in Northern Ireland got a significant part of their funding from Irish-Americans who donated to them.

Yeah, we were the ones who got them AR-18's, which were so good at killing British soldiers the IRA nicknamed it The Widowmaker.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1093869819391180800?s=19

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1093872337856819200?s=19

Any special reason for this level of early morning rage?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

This... is so plausible

He's a piece of poo poo?

Well, yes, but generally his little tantrums are triggered by something first.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Crakkerjakk posted:

You'll have to be more specific.

The one where someone did something stupid and alllllmost got killed, but was saved at the last second by some implausable bullshit that would never actually work.

And then the kid cried.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

o7

Disappointed there wasn't more cursing, but still.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1094054539102175233

We're all going to die and the world as we know it will be ruined before we're old men.

Welp, time to up my antidepressant dosage.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I started taking Wellbutrin two years ago to help quit smoking (it worked), but now I keep taking it as a kind of mood stabilizer. Bad things happening to me aren't the end of the world anymore, just annoying.

Thanks to that, I got my 2 year degree and a year away from getting my bachelor's.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Icon Of Sin posted:

I was able to quit smoking in Afghanistan thanks to Wellbutrin. I looked at the cigarette that was going to be my last and just thought “what the gently caress am I even doing with this?” before throwing it into a burn barrel before it was half done. Stuff is amazing for that alone. I was already on a max dose Effexor so I can’t speak to how well it does stabilizing. I stopped taking it when I got out of the army, but lately I’ve been missing it and want back on it. When I get settled at my new job (I’ll be working for NPS in FL :woot: ) I’ll look into getting more from the VA. It isn’t well-studied in relation to scuba diving as far as I know, so I may have to change it up a little though.

It's the loving trippiest thing to quit smoking with Wellbutrin. You go from 'GODDAMNIT I NEED MY NIC FIX' to 'why am I sucking on burning plant leaves?' in about two weeks. It's like you found a trigger switch in your brain and disconnected it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Doubleposting, but you government workers better get ready for another unpaid vacation.

quote:

Bipartisan talks aimed at resolving the border wall dispute and averting a government shutdown Friday have broken down and are at an impasse, two people familiar with the situation said Sunday.

The people spoke on condition of anonymity to describe the private deliberations.

Lawmakers had been trading offers, trying to finalize how much money could go to barriers along the border as President Trump demands money for his wall. Trump has called for $5.7 billion, but lawmakers were trying to find a number between $1.3 billion and $2 billion that would be acceptable to both sides.

At the same time, Democrats were trying to limit the number of detention beds that the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency would have access to. Democrats want to cap detention beds as a way to limit aggressive detention activities by ICE. One of the people familiar with the situation said that was the issue that led to the impasse.

Lawmakers and Trump face a Feb. 15 deadline to pass new legislation to keep the government open. If they don’t, large portions of the government will begin to shut down.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...m=.8110503af8da

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Why would you even put the word 'plantation' there in the first place?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

pantslesswithwolves posted:

All I know is that if I get stuck in West Africa because another shutdown prompts ATCs to go on strike, I’m going to get good and goddamned pissed.

But how would drinking help?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Well, I should have clarified that I meant pissed off but there’s only so much drinking by myself and watching action movies on my
iPad that I can do to distract from how much I miss my fiancée and doggy. :(

Aww, sorry to hear it. :sympathy:

Please accept this gif of a lazy dog: https://imgur.com/t/dog/hSPUMyf

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

To be fair most Americans are too stupid understand that Israel are trailing close behind Saudi for the shittiest allies we have.

Israel is a ally? How long has that been going on?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

hobbesmaster posted:

They're long overdue for some spies being caught or sinking a USN ship.

That's what I'm saying, if they're an ally of the US, they sure don't act like it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

ded posted:

It's cool to lock up non-payers of child support. I mean the state never messes up right?

yes sure hawaii, I totally owed 40k in child support. for the child I had custody of

So, you had to pay yourself child support?

I wonder how that would affect your tax return.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallom posted:

I'll reserve judgment until after we find out what the Democrats agreed to

"We've agreed to give the Republicans every thing they wanted, for various reasons to be named later."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoktorLoken posted:

Why does it get deleted so quickly?

Because the Air Force cannot have anyone make a dick joke in public.

THEY HAVE A REPUTATION TO UPHOLD!!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Mandatory paycheck garnishment, way of the future!

quote:

Under Alexander's proposal, there would be just two repayment routes: one in which borrowers' monthly bills are capped at 10 percent of their discretionary income and another that spreads their payments out over a decade. Employers would be responsible for taking the funds from their employees' paychecks and sending them to the government. (Of course, student loan borrowers currently can set up automatic payments with their lender. They also typically get a discount on their interest rate for doing so.)

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/02/13/a-gop-proposal-would-snatch-your-student-loan-payment-right-from-your-paycheck.html

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/NorahODonnell/status/1096020537069977600?s=19

So...this happened.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Nephzinho posted:

I look forward to a future D president using this as precedent to do something about climate change or gun contr--- I'm sorry, this just in, in a 5-4 decision..

"With Justice Kavanaugh writing for the majority..."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Reminder, Trump still has not signed the spending bill, and has not actually said he will.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
$25 to DVA says he doesn't sign it by midnight.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
The noose and bleach by themselves make me skeptical about the story. It's entirely possible he got jumped by a couple of chuds, but I've never heard of skinheads or alt-right Nazis using nooses or bleach in their attacks. They virtually always give a beat down with kicking and punching, or blunt objects like bats.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fister Roboto posted:

Wow, you cracked the case again Columbo! Everyone knows it's impossible for nazis to use different weapons.

I'm not saying it didn't happen the way he said, but the fact that the police arrested, then released the two suspects, plus the information coming from the news sources, makes me skeptical.

I'll tell you what, I'll put my money where my mouth is. If it turns out that Smollett was the victim of a random hate crime, I will donate $25 to Disabled Veterans of America. I'll even :toxx: for it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://apnews.com/33f8229a76c646299bfedad5a861358f

Trump is getting ready to veto a Congressional disapproval of his 'emergency'.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

The most prominently disturbing thing here is how Miller’s hairline continues to defy a consistent position between any given day.

Must be using that Ronco Hair-In-A-Can stuff.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

EBB posted:

stop fighting and post sources or current events

Associated Press posted:

Trump the pundit handicaps 2020 Democratic contenders

By ZEKE MILLER

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (AP) — Kamala Harris had the best campaign roll-out. Amy Klobuchar's snowy debut showed grit. Elizabeth Warren's opening campaign video was a bit odd. Take it from an unlikely armchair pundit sizing up the 2020 Democratic field: President Donald Trump.

In tweets, public remarks and private conversations, Trump is making clear he is closely following the campaign to challenge him on the ballot. Facing no serious primary opponent of his own — at least so far — Trump is establishing himself as an in-their-face observer of the Democratic Party's nominating process — and no will be surprised to find that he's not being coy about weighing in.

Presidents traditionally ignore their potential opponents as long as possible to maintain their status as an incumbent floating above the contenders who are auditioning for a job they already inhabit.

Not Trump. He's eager to shape the debate, sow discord and help position himself for the general election. It's just one more norm to shatter, and a risky bet that his acerbic politics will work to his advantage once again.

This is the president whose 240-character blasts and penchant for insults made mincemeat of his 2016 Republican rivals. And Brad Parscale, Trump's campaign manager, said the president aims to use Twitter again this time to "define his potential opponent and impact the Democrat primary debate."

But often Trump's commentary reflects a peculiar sense of disengagement from the events of the day, as though he were a panelist on the cable news shows he records and watches, rather than their prime subject of discussion. He puts the armchair in armchair punditry. In an interview with The New York Times, Trump assessed Harris' campaign like a talk show regular, declaring her opening moves as having a "better crowd, better enthusiasm" than the other Democrats.

Crowd size was also at play last week when he held a rally in El Paso, Texas, that was countered a few blocks away by one led by former Rep. Beto O'Rourke, a potential 2020 candidate.

"So we have let's say 35,000 people tonight, and he has 200 people, 300 people," Trump observed, wildly exaggerating both numbers. "Not too good. In fact, what I would do is, I would say, that may be the end of his presidential bid."

When Sen. Klobuchar announced her candidacy on a frigid day in her home state of Minnesota, Trump anointed her with a nickname of sorts, and a benign one at that: "By the end of her speech she looked like a Snowman(woman)!"

Inside the West Wing and in conversations with outside allies, Trump has been workshopping other attempts to imprint his new adversaries with lasting labels, according to two people on whom the president has tested out the nicknames. They spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private conversations with the president. He is also testing out lines of attack in public rallies, exploring vulnerabilities he could use against them should they advance to the general election.

No candidate has drawn more commentary and criticism from Trump than Sen. Warren, the liberal Massachusetts Democrat. Warren's past claims of Native American heritage prompted Trump to brand her "Pocahontas" and he has shown no qualms about deploying racially charged barbs harking back to some of the nation's darkest abuses.

Wading into a Twitter frenzy over an Instagram video Warren posted after she announced her exploratory committee while sharing a beer with her husband at their kitchen table, Trump jeered: "Best line in the Elizabeth Warren beer catastrophe is, to her husband, 'Thank you for being here. I'm glad you're here' It's their house, he's supposed to be there!"

"If Elizabeth Warren, often referred to by me as Pocahontas, did this commercial from Bighorn or Wounded Knee instead of her kitchen, with her husband dressed in full Indian garb, it would have been a smash!" Trump tweeted.

Even in the midst of the partial government shutdown, those tweets mocking Warren were widely joked about by White House staff weary from the protracted closure, according to one aide who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal conversations. The person said the president repeatedly ridiculed Warren's video in private conversations with aides and outside advisers.

Attention from Trump can drive up fundraising and elevate a candidate above a crowded field. But responding to attacks also distracts from a candidate's message.

Trump's rivals in the 2016 GOP primary learned that lesson as he bedeviled them with name-calling. Trump goaded Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida into making a thinly veiled insult of his manhood that quickly backfired, and weeks later he sucked Texas Sen. Ted Cruz into a brutal back-and-forth about an insult he had leveled at Cruz's wife.

"The president has an ability to use social media to define his opponents and influence the primary debate in a way no sitting president before him has," said former White House spokesman Raj Shah. "I expect him to take full advantage."

On Friday, hours after declaring a national emergency on the U.S.-Mexico border, Trump tweeted a video made by a supporter that featured the president's Democratic critics in Congress. Harris, Bernie Sanders and Cory Booker were shown sitting dourly during the State of the Union address, set to the R.E.M. ballad "Everybody Hurts."

The mocking video may have been taken down later in the day after a copyright complaint by the band, and re-cut using Trump-supporter Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." But the message to Trump's would-be 2020 rivals, and people girding for another wild presidential cycle, remained anchored to the lyrics of that R.E.M. song: "Hold on."

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Smollett had a fake racist letter sent with white powder and was disappointed in the reaction, so he doubled down and pretended to get jumped by noose-wielding MAGA chuds?

That's the problem with actors, they never know when to stop acting. The noose and bleach thing would have been right at home in a movie script.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

OK, I'll ask. Who in the everloving gently caress thought it was a good idea to make Saudi Arabia a nuclear power?!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Chinese Communist Party is conducting DNA surveillance using American technology and researchers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/business/china-xinjiang-uighur-dna-thermo-fisher.html

quote:

China wants to make the country’s Uighurs, a predominantly Muslim ethnic group, more subservient to the Communist Party. It has detained up to a million people in what China calls “re-education” camps, drawing condemnation from human rights groups and a threat of sanctions from the Trump administration.

Collecting genetic material is a key part of China’s campaign, according to human rights groups and Uighur activists. They say a comprehensive DNA database could be used to chase down any Uighurs who resist conforming to the campaign.

Police forces in the United States and elsewhere use genetic material from family members to find suspects and solve crimes. Chinese officials, who are building a broad nationwide database of DNA samples, have cited the crime-fighting benefits of China’s own genetic studies.

To bolster their DNA capabilities, scientists affiliated with China’s police used equipment made by Thermo Fisher, a Massachusetts company. For comparison with Uighur DNA, they also relied on genetic material from people around the world that was provided by Kenneth Kidd, a prominent Yale University geneticist.

On Wednesday, Thermo Fisher said it would no longer sell its equipment in Xinjiang, the part of China where the campaign to track Uighurs is mostly taking place. The company said separately in an earlier statement to The New York Times that it was working with American officials to figure out how its technology was being used.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Casimir Radon posted:

"So Porsche, tell me about your grades in high school?"
"KEEP GOING I'M ALMOST THERE!!!"

"How many times have you dropped out of rehab?"
"OH GOD :flashfap:"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Reign Of Pain posted:

I thought that was Roger Stone....wasn't he into some group sex thing too

ew

It's always some freaky sex thing. Orgies, cuckholding, pseudo-rape, Ambien sex, something. Wasn't there someone who like to put his wife into a diabetic coma before he hosed her, so she couldn't move?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

citybeatnik posted:

That last one sounds like a plot from a law and order episode.

I might be misremembering it from a old law and order episode.

Starfishing is still a thing though.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't know what this is and I'm not sure I want to go looking for an answer.

It's phone sex, but you only respond by shouting "NO! THIS IS PATRICK!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bored As gently caress posted:

The idea of just getting some Chinese made carfentanil and just air dropping it over Russia seems better and better.

Though I'm sure the Russian govt and mob (same difference in many cases) will want a cut.

I'm legit surprised no one has used carfentanil as a bioweapon yet. Pour half a kilo into a HVAC system, you could take out a whole building.