Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Woof Blitzer posted:

*frantically searching alibaba for limpet mines*

If there's anyone who deserves to be harpooned and blown up on their yacht, Thunderball style, it's Dan Snyder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
We at least should let him serve out 3/5 of his term.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mlmp08 posted:

D&D says it's not a coup because actually the people are kicking out Maduro, not foreigners or the military.

I say it's not a coup, because if it was a coup, it wouldn't look like such disorganized dumb dogshit.

I mean if you wanna get technical the most accurate term at this point is probably 'constitutional crisis', as Guaidó does have an arguably legitimate claim. It's kinda a weak argument, but if it gets Maduro out of office peacefully I sure as hell ain't complaining.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
death to the pats inshallah

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

every person on my team at work is from new england

two from mass, two from new hampshire, two from connecticut (including me), one from maine

it's going to be awful tomorrow

burn the building down, trap them inside

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
seriously though god what an awful game, it didn't even have the benefit of a wild comeback like the win over the Falcons. just absolutely terrible

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

Harris doesn't have major issues to the everyday voter. She has issues according to progressives, which while they are making up a larger and larger portion of the voting base and that's great, there's nothing stopping her right now.

Warren continues with the greatest self-own in political history next to Dukakis and that goddamn tank photo.

I feel I'm still the most partial to Warren, her colossal self-owns aside. She's not an rear end in a top hat, has good policy positions, and I think she'd be a reasonable administrator. It's a shame that there haven't been any slam-dunk candidates that have announced, though—I want to like Booker, for instance, but I just can't get over his support for big finance and charter schools.

e: Sherrod Brown maybe? I don't know enough about him though to know about his skeletons, and that's even if he's running.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 7, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mods changed my name posted:

vapid, apoplectic Kaiju engaging in cargo cult worship mixed with purestrain crab bucket mentality
:goonsay:

could've just said genestealer dude jeez

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Soulex posted:

What the gently caress is that barrel attachment?

It's for shooting down police helicopters.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It deserves to be quoted in full anyway:

John Dingell posted:

One of the advantages to knowing that your demise is imminent, and that reports of it will not be greatly exaggerated, is that you have a few moments to compose some parting thoughts.

In our modern political age, the presidential bully pulpit seems dedicated to sowing division and denigrating, often in the most irrelevant and infantile personal terms, the political opposition.

And much as I have found Twitter to be a useful means of expression, some occasions merit more than 280 characters.

My personal and political character was formed in a different era that was kinder, if not necessarily gentler. We observed modicums of respect even as we fought, often bitterly and savagely, over issues that were literally life and death to a degree that — fortunately – we see much less of today.

Think about it:

Impoverishment of the elderly because of medical expenses was a common and often accepted occurrence. Opponents of the Medicare program that saved the elderly from that cruel fate called it “socialized medicine.” Remember that slander if there’s a sustained revival of silly red-baiting today.

Not five decades ago, much of the largest group of freshwater lakes on Earth — our own Great Lakes — were closed to swimming and fishing and other recreational pursuits because of chemical and bacteriological contamination from untreated industrial and wastewater disposal. Today the Great Lakes are so hospitable to marine life that one of our biggest challenges is controlling the invasive species that have made them their new home.

We regularly used and consumed foods, drugs, chemicals and other things (cigarettes) that were legal, promoted and actively harmful. Hazardous wastes were dumped on empty plots in the dead of night. There were few if any restrictions on industrial emissions. We had only the barest scientific knowledge of the long-term consequences of any of this.

And there was a great stain on America, in the form of our legacy of racial discrimination. There were good people of all colors who banded together, risking and even losing their lives to erase the legal and other barriers that held Americans down. In their time they were often demonized and targeted, much like other vulnerable men and women today.

Please note: All of these challenges were addressed by Congress. Maybe not as fast as we wanted, or as perfectly as hoped. The work is certainly not finished. But we’ve made progress — and in every case, from the passage of Medicare through the passage of civil rights, we did it with the support of Democrats and Republicans who considered themselves first and foremost to be Americans.

I’m immensely proud, and eternally grateful, for having had the opportunity to play a part in all of these efforts during my service in Congress. And it’s simply not possible for me to adequately repay the love that my friends, neighbors and family have given me and shown me during my public service and retirement.

But I would be remiss in not acknowledging the forgiveness and sweetness of the woman who has essentially supported me for almost 40 years: my wife, Deborah. And it is a source of great satisfaction to know that she is among the largest group of women to have ever served in the Congress (as she busily recruits more).

In my life and career I have often heard it said that so-and-so has real power — as in, “the powerful Wile E. Coyote, chairman of the Capture the Road Runner Committee.”

It’s an expression that has always grated on me. In democratic government, elected officials do not have power. They hold power — in trust for the people who elected them. If they misuse or abuse that public trust, it is quite properly revoked (the quicker the better).

I never forgot the people who gave me the privilege of representing them. It was a lesson learned at home from my father and mother, and one I have tried to impart to the people I’ve served with and employed over the years.

As I prepare to leave this all behind, I now leave you in control of the greatest nation of mankind and pray God gives you the wisdom to understand the responsibility you hold in your hands.

May God bless you all, and may God bless America.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
In any system of laws, when a crime is committed you're going to have to answer the following questions:

-Who was wronged by the crime? Who has the authority to seek justice?
-Who will investigate the crime? What rights shall the accused have to prevent misconduct?
-Who shall judge the results of the investigation? Who sets the punishment should the accused be found guilty? What rights does the accused have to argue their innocence?
-How shall the guilty be punished? What rights do the guilty still possess, and what will be taken away?
-Should imprisonment be decided upon as a punishment, who is responsible for the prisoner? Is the goal to punish the prisoner by keeping them away from society, or to protect society by keeping the prisoner away from it?
-What is the desired end result of the punishment? To educate and reform the guilty so that they will commit no further crimes, or to make the punishment severe enough that they will be deterred from committing future crimes?

Focusing only on the deterrent value of prisons is missing the forest for the trees, as it is an immensely complex issue with a whole number of underlying philosophical and practical questions, and looking at recidivism rates is hardly an answer into and of itself.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

colachute posted:

You think prison works as a deterrence on a general level. That’s cool man. I don’t think it works as a deterrence on a general level. There are people who don’t commit crimes because they don’t want to face the consequences, including prison. But the people who are committing crimes, who fall into the general “criminal” category, seem to not care based on the rate of rearrest. The people who have literally been there are not deterred from committing crimes.

Maybe we are talking past each other, so let me rephrase my point by asking you a question: why does the third most populated country on earth with the highest rate of incarcerated individuals (a problem with individuals, obviously) also have such a high rate of rearrest?

Logically, third highest world population and highest incarceration rate means prison is a general deterrent to you?

I'd think about it this way: There is a deterrence value to any punishment, because of course outside of extraordinary circumstances nobody likes to be punished. From a literal slap on the wrist to the death penalty, there's a deterrent. Instead, the question is more akin to gambling—does the potential risk of being caught, prosecuted, and sent to prison for a given value of time (The deterrent) outweigh the potential benefits? And more importantly, is the person making this decision capable of fairly rationalizing the risk and the reward?

In the United States, you could easily argue that part of the reason why rearrests are so high is not because that prison doesn't serve as an effective deterrent (Because every society has prisons), but instead that because the system is so focused on punishment instead of rehabilitation, and because the social stigma of having been a prisoner is so high, that the deterrent value is severely lessened due to the lack of non-criminal opportunities—not to mention the general lack of resources available to the poor to avoid being found guilty for crimes in the face of malicious law enforcement and prosecution.

The system desperately needs reforming, and prisons are a part of it, but imo the actual deterrent value of prisons is extremely low on the list of topics that should be addressed, as opposed to much greater problems as the war on drugs, the use of fines and imprisonment to fund towns and cities, the horrific erosion of the public defender system, etc.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

There is not a :thunk: big enough.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

seeing a lot of shitposts, none of them saying why i'm wrong :shuckyes:

poo poo posts deserve poo poo responses

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vriess posted:

We owe that to automobile lobbyists and manufacturers that bought the train lines and dismantled them during the guilded age to force people to buy cars.

Not really? It's not as though Union Pacific or Sante Fe were any slouches in their own right. It's mostly to do with interstate highways and domestic air travel simply being cheaper or more profitable alternatives to rail in all but a handful of locals, and the US rail network prioritizing freight over passenger travel as a result.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

There are fuckups, then there are "oops we might have radiated thousands of people at the Grand Canyon and then removed the buckets full of uranium ore with dishwashing gloves and a mop handle" fuckups.

https://twitter.com/stephaniekays/status/1097696581153972224

"Thousands" is overstating it heavily. That building is in a back area of the village that's decently set away from any tourist areas, it's not on public maps or generally open to the public, and most people who go through there are part of prearranged tours. I worked at the park, I've been through that building, and I'm not concerned in the slightest.

The dishwashing gloves and mop handle parts are pretty hilarious, though.

e: bonus :byodood: ~radiation~ :byodood: sign off of Grandview Trail:

There used to be a bunch of mines directly in the canyon, mostly for copper but then it turned out there's a shitload of uranium there. This mine was only ever for copper and closed down in the first decade of the 1900s, but since there's still exposed uranium ore/dust it gets the ~radiation~ sign which also helps deter visitors from dicking around in old mines. Uranium was directly mined on the rim of the canyon near the village up until 1967 when the Orphan mine was finally shut down, and they still mine it off park land and on the bordering reservations. :eng101:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 19, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Personally I've got a lot of the same doubts about Bernie as I did in 2016-he's got ideas and has pushed the conversation left, but I still have doubts about how well he could manage to actually get them through Congress (also, being 87 at the end of his hypothetical second term is... not ideal).

Honestly, I like Warren. She's got good ideas and big ideas (wealth tax hell yeah), and while she's had some missteps none of them have really been that big. And as for facing Trump... I mean let's be honest, the big reason why Sanders and Trump did so well in 2016 was because of Clinton. Warren wouldn't have that same baggage, and I don't think any of the Democratic contenders are going to have a problem winning the general considering how narrow Trump's 2016 victory was in the first place.

e: also Warren has an official campaign dog so what I'm saying is that I'm donating now

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1097494141234229254?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This primary is going to be such a poo poo show :cripes:

Is anybody actually still listening to Louise Mensch?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

my kinda ape posted:

He seems very healthy and he's been in high level politics forever so I don't really buy the argument that he's going to wither away from the stress of the presidency. Dude is sinking free throws and running around the subway better than most people in their 40s.

My main concern is that he'd be eighty fuckin' seven by the time his second term is up. My grandfather's in his eighties, hasn't had many major health problems, still goes skiing and does a lot of his own lawn work and home maintenance, and I fully expect him to be around for his 90th birthday, but I can still see how he's slowed down tremendously from even ten years ago. 2021-2029 is going to be an immensely challenging time for our country that's going to require bold and active leadership, and I just don't know if Bernie's going to be physically or mentally capable of handling those challenges during the last half of that stretch.

I will say that in the grand scheme of things his age is less important than other factors, particularly his policies or his ability to get policies enacted, but it's still a big factor I just can't shake. Especially when there's far less daylight policy-wise between Sanders and the other challengers than there was between Sanders and Clinton.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
oh boy this primary is already going places isn't it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Warren thus far appears to be the most pro-dog candidate so she's got my vote.

https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1098015551488548864

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1097494141234229254

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Woof Blitzer posted:

gently caress da pats

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eej posted:

Sometimes you just want the filth that money can't buy

well obviously he could buy it, it was $60.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Is Marco Rubio making comparisons to trump because if so just :psypop:

He's trying to threaten Maduro over Twitter, because that's the exciting reality we live in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I started going bald in high school and compared to that going grey would be a mercy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

not caring here posted:

You probably don't want to hear that I've donated to cancer kid wig charities several times.

The opposite in fact, thank you for helping to spare those children my horrible fate

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Deathy McDeath posted:

Thanks guys, for reminding me that I'm a year closer to arriving at the point where I no longer exist. I will die and my body will cease to be. Forever. All my thoughts and experiences, every scar on me, every personal connection made and emotion felt will rot and decay and become food for worms and other things. Life is meaningless and my life will be meaningless. This is the existential terror I live with every day and in the quiet moments of calm when I forget my own mortality and take in the smaller niceties of life, along comes all of my internet pals to barge into my mind palace like Kool-Aid man and announce CONGRATS DEATHY YOU'RE GONNA DIE

counterpoint: hell yeah cake time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

The intensely anti-semetic (checks notes)... Attorney General of the Jewish State of Israel has indicted Bibi Netanyahu on three counts of bribery and fraud.

god I hope that motherfucker sees bars