Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

mlmp08 posted:

No more INF, try to depose a South American leader amd replace with an American-educated rightwing guy, and the Big Six program which is highly reminiscent of the post-Vietnam Big Five program.

Cold War reboot looking good.

Big Five/Six Program? I'm entirely unfamiliar with the subject, can't find anything from cursory googling.

I remember saying to a friend of mine the other day that I no longer believed in America's ability to be a force for peace and moral justice across the world by virtue of hegemony. But it's a new cold war now, and at least our missiles are pointed in their direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I love the part where the leader of the VA GOP says that there's no place for racism in Virginia. Didn't hear that in the Senate race 4 months ago, friend.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Uncorroborated and unsubstantiated claims of Rape do not make him a Rapist. We have this concept of innocent until proven guilty.

I mean people said the same thing about Kavanaugh so that one falls a bit off for me

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

And right on time, here's your Klobuchar oppo dump.

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1093277749215744000?s=19

Not sure what I think/feel about it though. Seems kinda weak. Surprised it wasn't about her prosecutor background.

I mean sounds like she sucks to work for but yeah this is some really weak oppo here.

Like as compromises go that's a flaw that seems pretty forgivable

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

i'm pretty okay with sending deadbeat dads to prison for refusal to pay child support. My parents divorced early and my mother had to go to court multiple times to get the child support she was owed. Maybe a stronger deterrent would have eased that particular load. Moreover, I don't think prison should be reserved only for violent offenders, unless y'all are happy with fines and golf courses for white collar crime.

Nobody should be sent to prison for inability to pay. In such a case, the state imposes wage garnishment, as well they should.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

There should never be a time where they’re sent to prison, a court can take whatever assets the deadbeat has. If there are no assets then sending them to prison makes things worse

deadbeat dads who abandon their children and actively refuse to pay child support or cooperate with state garnishment of assets should go to jail. If they were willing to pay in the first place, they wouldn't have been prosecuted for nonpayment of child support.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

quote:

The problem is that its hard to hold a job when you can't show up because you're in jail? And I'm pretty sure that even with reduced standards you can't enlist if you have a warrant out for your arrest?

This is all part of why broader justice system reform is necessary but step 0 is making sure that criminalizing something actually improves society.

They're not holding down a job or enlisting anyways, because doing so means Mom gets some money and gently caress that bitch, right?

Obviously the state should be providing support for childcare. But it's not, and I like to make policy based on the world we live in, not the world we wished we lived in. If deadbeat dads really don't want to pay their child support and refuse to contribute productively to society, then they should be punished with prison time.

No, the child isn't getting any money from the father, but the child wasn't getting any money from the father anyways and this establishes a significant and severe consequence for nonpayment. It also gets borderline abusive parents who would otherwise not be caught in the domestic abuse net out of their child's lives.

Honestly I already liked Klobuchar, this is really just cementing my primary vote.

Edit: to clarify a bit, I don't think putting deadbeat dads in jail is the foremost policy issue of our time. I don't particularly care whether a candidate supports it or not - it's just a nice bonus and with luck it'll get more dads to pay for their goddamn child support like they're supposed to. I'd be happy with non-criminal penalties as well, but prison time is a very reasonable policy proposal and I'm happy to give it a chance.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 11, 2019

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Yeah because deterrence works so well in every other aspect of our criminal justice system for the indigent. You have stupid ideas that will only create more misery, but hey if you feel good proposing them then I guess that's really is what is important.

Being poor should not be a literal get out of jail free card. Moreover, this isn't only hitting the poor. My father was a multimillionaire until he lost it all in 2008 and he still didn't pay all the child support he was supposed to despite the fact that my mother was pretty dirt poor in comparison. She didn't even ask him for any alimony either!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Wouldn't you rather fix this part?

I think that fixing this part involves having a law on the books criminalizing nonpayment of child support.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BigDave posted:

Chinese Communist Party is conducting DNA surveillance using American technology and researchers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/21/business/china-xinjiang-uighur-dna-thermo-fisher.html

"On Wednesday, Thermo Fisher said it would no longer sell its equipment in Xinjiang, the part of China where the campaign to track Uighurs is mostly taking place. The company said separately in an earlier statement to The New York Times that it was working with American officials to figure out how its technology was being used."

multinationals are scum lmao

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Lol if you think Chavez didn't burn people alive. In 2016 there were reports of government supporters stringing up razor wire in the streets to decapitate opposition motorists. Torture, arrest, disappearances and murders. And oodles of assassinations too!

Everyone in Venezuela is poo poo. The opposition as of last year was more concerned with getting Leopoldo Lopez out of prison than they were doing anything else and are utterly fractured between colossal tensions internally between the center left and the far right. It's why you some 40-50% of voters saying "ni-ni" - because they have no hope in anyone. There's violence on all sides - though the government, as usual, is better at using it.

The most you can say about any of it is that it's Chavez and Maduro's policies which have contributed to the rumination of a nation. In the response to catastrophy the government has done next to nothing other than to continue to plunder its own citizens in a desperate attempt to steal as much wealth from Venezuelans as possible and in so doing so have driven millions of their people out of the country as refugees and millions more into black markets and criminality. Almost anything in the world would be better for the public.

It's not that I think Guaido and co are any good. It's that I think that Maduro and Chavez's legacy is so bad it takes a lot more than burning people in the streets for the opposition to be worse. Still pretty loving bad though and the US sure won't make it any better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Pats in trouble for illegally deflating balls, again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

extremely stupid child

It's Jordan Peterson

E: also I'm browsing SA with AVs on for the first time in two years and I can finally tell all of you apart