Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can somebody explain this dummy what the INF is for? If I understand correctly, both the USA and Russia have long range nuclear missiles that can provide the mutually assured destruction. Can those long range missiles not hit targets closer to the launch sites? Why do you even need intermediate range missiles? I'm a big dumb and don't understand this.

Edit: I guess at the very least, the treaty reduces the total amount of nuclear weapons, which is good. But is there anything more to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

It's amazing that the issue Democrats and Republicans in the Senate can agree to oppose Trump for is one of the very few things Trump gets right.

As for Northam, do you guys think he should resign? He was young and dumb, is that not an acceptable defense if he's changed since then? Basically, for me as a gay guy, I can forgive a politician for making anti-gay remarks or being against gay marriage when they were younger if I think they genuinely changed their mind. It was a different time, and using "that's gay" to describe something bad was normal at that time. Similarly, wearing blackface is rightfully considered racist today, but was wholly mainstream viable a few decades back. And it's not like he was a member of the KKK, working actively to make life worse for racial minorities (as far as we know). That's the big difference to Gabbard, who did work in an explicitly anti-gay organization.

So, depending on what else comes out, his offense is relatively minor? Wearing blackface is a kind of insensitive/unconscious racism, a different thing from using racist slurs or saying all Mexicans are rapists. It's the social media age, I think there really needs to be a realization that young people can do mistakes and change for the better later on. Most Republicans would have defended themselves by saying "wearing blackface is cool and good/I wouldn't do it again, but wearing blackface is not bad/everybody did it then, I did nothing wrong!". Northam apologized relatively quickly. Is he really beyond redemption?

Again, a lot depends on what he says going forward, and if there are bigger bombshells in his past waiting to be uncovered. But what if that's it, he gives a credible apology on air that's longer than the few basic sentences in his press statement, and he voluntarily participates in a sensitivity training course? Would you still call for his resignation?

I'm white, so perhaps I just don't get it. But if the left would drive out everybody who every voted against gay marriage for example, then it would just massively weaken our own position.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hot Karl Marx posted:

more tactical nukes seems bad for everyone

edit: I mean why would putin want to be able to make them again, or does he really want another cold war?

IIRC, a lot of the US foreign policy/military establishment were really hot for tactical nukes, too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

EBB posted:

Sunday is usually Shitpost Sunday here since nothing is going on, but today is special. Today is...

:siren:SUPERBOWL SHITPOST SUNDAY:siren:

usual rules, no nudity or nms and brady lovers are open season

Where did you get the bitching Glitterhoof AV? Is there a CK2 thread that I'm missing? :confused:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

bird food bathtub posted:

So, uhh....how much other spectacularly hosed up and bizarre animu poo poo do you have on your hard drive and how lovingly is it curated?

If he's a good gay, he has a bunch of extremely muscular and hairy bara guys on his hard drive, and you probably don't want to see them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Amazing. I bet there are safety regulations for civilian seafaring that the Fitzgerald would have failed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Hezbollah is very much in Venezuela.

They’re also all over Africa.

They’re probably also in the US.

There’s a HUGE Lebanese diaspora throughout the world, and anywhere you have a sizable Lebanese expat population, you probably have some Hezbollah financiers or facilitators in the mix. That certainly doesn’t make them a national security threat to the US, or even to the countries in which they have a presence.

Unless Hezbollah is starting to put suicide vests on migrants like in the hit documentary Siccario 2, then it’s a complete bullshit thing for Pompeo to claim.

It should also be noted that Hezbollah is not just a terrorist organization. It's also a "real" political party. Just like Sinn Fein and the NRA(s) IRA(s) were. Which makes support from some parts the Lebanese diaspora just a lot more likely.

It shouldn't be forgotten that the forces fighting against the Brits in Northern Ireland got a significant part of their funding from Irish-Americans who donated to them.

edit: Irish Republican Army :doh:

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 7, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

What do you suppose my options are for avoiding long haul flights?

What, you don't swim from NZ to Australia or South America? Wimp!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not really? It's not as though Union Pacific or Sante Fe were any slouches in their own right. It's mostly to do with interstate highways and domestic air travel simply being cheaper or more profitable alternatives to rail in all but a handful of locals, and the US rail network prioritizing freight over passenger travel as a result.

At the same time, our environmentalists stare wistfully at the USA at how much freight is moved by train, compared to here in Europe where a lot bigger share of freight is moved by trucks through the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Hexyflexy posted:

You could create some kind of super efficient.. national health service. Being as we're torching ours it'd be fitting if you took on the mantle.

It's insane that you guys still have no Universal Health Care, but perhaps you should look around a bit, and not adopt the worst UHC system (which is still better than the poo poo you have right now). Because you likely only get one shot to make such a massive health care overhaul. Usually, UHC with several competing non-profit health care providers fare better than using a single, NHS like provider.