Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
yeah he's probably toast

all hail fairfax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think that the collective media are now trying to play the One True Scotsman narrative. People still think that running the government like a business is still a valid idea despite the fact that every attempt thus far by the administration has been a colossal shitshow. But it's not the idea that was wrong, no no no, it was the execution of that idea. Shultz is what we really need, a true businessman!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
tricare is humana with government imposed cost controls and standards managed by the defense health agency (formerly tricare management authority)

no we can't have cost controls put into law for everyone else stop asking

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm actually a big fan of privatizing the VA except it's not in a way that remotely resembles all the republican plans which are basically just barely concealed graft.

Switch the vast majority of the VA's patient caseload over to this private, cost controlled healthcare system similar to Tricare. One of the major problems with the VA system is the caseload, but it's not a caseload of issues that are unique to the VA's core population. If my endocrine system is hosed up from toxic exposure related to burn pits, it shouldn't take me forever to see an endocrinologist because some Vietnam vets have da beetus. The core VA system should be reserved for individuals with exceptional cases directly related to military service, staffed by experts with experience handling those unique issues, and everything else should be shuffled off to the regular healthcare system for routine care.

Believe it or not this is basically exactly what the DoD does with their various medical centers of excellence, intrepid spirit centers, etc.

But it will never happen because there's virtually no money to be made with a private insurance company with (proper) government cost controls - Tricare turns juuuuuuuuuuuust enough profit by design that there's a continued private interest in continuing the service. If you apply that system to all healthcare well that's just not American gosh darnit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have very good insurance that I never use.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
eagerly awaiting proof via facial recognition that the person in the blackface is actually a time traveler wanted for six armed robberies in 2004

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Suicide isn't *really* an individual psychological issue, it's a societal-based phenomenon. But that requires that society accept the blame, and we can't have that. Modern suicide theory, aka Interpersonal Theory of Suicide, has three core tenants of what leads and individual to commit suicide: thwarted belongingness, perceived burdensomeness, and acquired capability.

The first two are entirely a societal issue.

Belongingness is that psychosocial aspect that a lot of us miss about the military, and indeed being in the military often fills that need better than almost everything available. Sure, you could get that same feeling by having a good job, comfortable finances, a loving spouse, and meaningful purpose. How many of us have that in the outside world? Yeah, thought so. But the military checks off those boxes in our grey matter a lot easier.

Burdensomness is a non-factor in the military. Everyone has a purpose, even if you're loving awful at your job you won't dip down into the level of burdensomness to consider suicide. If you're in a good environment, this won't factor into things.

Acquired capability is the big one in the military. If you get desensitized enough then the threshold for the other two factors to become an issue gets lower. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about this one, and it's why the first two become more important.

The SF community is exactly that, a community. It goes far beyond the regular military community in every aspect of their lives. So for a SF community member to kill themselves that means that either they're so desensitized that it doesn't matter, or something external to that community is damaging the sense of community/sense of self.

tldr; according to modern suicide theory SF people should have drastically lower rates of suicide so this spike is a colossal red flag

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
this is such a low energy coup

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It was mostly every career person at State/CIA/etc that was like 'uhh.....' but the political appointees were all aboard.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I watch the majority of gaming videos now off youtube in incognito because my recommendations take a turn for the reich pretty quickly, because Gamers are a social plague upon this world.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can remove videos from your watch history and that will adjust the algorithm...somewhat.

Amusingly I had to do that for an install video for my CPU heatsink because YouTube thought I had a massive nerd boner for computer hardware because I watched the video three times, so my recommendations were full of benchmarks and performance reviews and stuff for months afterwards.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Google is the world's largest advertising company that happens to make the most popular websites, most popular browser, and most commonly used phone operating system. So they can serve their primary purpose.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://twitter.com/FreddieCampion/status/1092099774893850624

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
every person on my team at work is from new england

two from mass, two from new hampshire, two from connecticut (including me), one from maine

it's going to be awful tomorrow

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Monday, December 28th temperature: 9

Monday, February 4th temperature: 60

drat Chinese!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
the president is going to get his name blackballed like hitler :lol:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I made ~20% more in 2018 than 2017 and I get back roughly a hundred bucks more than last year. I need to adjust my withholding more.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

What was your effective rate, though? That's what really matters.

~18.5%

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is that higher or lower than last year for you? I’m just curious if your overall effective rate went up or down. Most people in your income area I know have seen a slight increase.

Yeah it's a touch more, roughly a quarter of a percent. So my AGI goes up by ~22%, my effective rate goes up .25%. That's not good for anybody long term.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't even know what my balance is let alone what has changed. 6% of my pay goes there, 6% match. So I probably have like 50k by now. Doesn't really matter to me until I need to use it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've never listened to him, not really.

I don't think I'm missing much.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Trump was able to tap into a primal rage that a sizable portion of the citizenry have (racism/sexism/*phobia) who are able to put past everything stupid that he said in support of that end goal.

Schultz is going to find out that there's no magical vein of voter enthusiasm for him.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It still makes me laugh that Schultz is running on a platform of "please don't tax me"

edit: I am fully aware that he's not actually running for president, he's running to shift the narrative back to the right

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm still not entirely convinced I'm not a brain in a jar somewhere and my overseers are throwing increasingly convoluted scenarios at me to see when I finally question the nature of my reality.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Harris doesn't have major issues to the everyday voter. She has issues according to progressives, which while they are making up a larger and larger portion of the voting base and that's great, there's nothing stopping her right now.

Warren continues with the greatest self-own in political history next to Dukakis and that goddamn tank photo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Warren taking the test is mostly a matter of an establishment/decorum politician failing to realize that the game has changed. Very few dems have realized it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Assuming my parents/grandparent's heritage doesn't have any unexpected results, and assuming that the limited pictures I have of my paternal great-grandfather are actually him, I should be 12.5% Cherokee. I've never bothered to take a DNA test, not that I really care about the results or would do anything with it other than know my *likely* ethnic background.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I don't know. Supposedly my paternal great grandfather was some random schmuck on the reservation in Oklahoma (unlike most people that claim their grandmothers were princesses or some poo poo, I know my heritage was just some randos) and then he hosed off to Chicago to work as a welder for skyscrapers. Or so the story goes, the gently caress if I know how accurate it is considering that the family tradition on my dad's side was to be a bunch of drunks that hate their fathers.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
that looks like a legitimate need for AVLBs

this is it, the one time in history those loving things are actually useful

and we scrapped them a few years ago

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I mean yeah, you could move those containers and probably start a war.

Which brings me to the next question, where the gently caress are the guards on that bridge? Is that thing photoshopped?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i for one am glad that we aren't going to stick our dick into that hornets nest because a few dudes are mad we aren't going to hatefuck it so they want no part in it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's also more people living outside Lebanon than in Lebanon, even if you count everyone living there as Lebanese, which the majority are not.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
...do you not know of ublock

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I don't really know what they thought would happen. You're going to try and extort one of the richest people on the planet for...what? Amazon isn't gonna drop in value over this. Bezos could die today and the stock price might temporarily dip 15%.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think the only real relevance this has is on his divorce proceedings, allegedly. It's been awhile since that was discussed because my concept of linear time is breaking down due to unhealthy exposure to TRUMP.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
No no, I mean the only relevance to Bezos. AMI would clearly benefit from the deal.

Because

Vasudus posted:

I don't really know what they thought would happen. You're going to try and extort one of the richest people on the planet for...what? Amazon isn't gonna drop in value over this. Bezos could die today and the stock price might temporarily dip 15%.

The dick pics themselves wouldn't do any damage and everyone would forget about it in under a week. Unless you're the richest man on the planet in a divorce proceeding without a prenup and this was used.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I sometimes feel like an alien visitor or a person released from prison sometimes when an advertisement somehow reaches me. Companies I've never heard of selling a product I don't need for a purpose I don't understand, often starring people I don't recognize.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I will never use the word apoplectic because it's a big word and my impostor syndrome doesn't allow me to use them and feel comfortable doing so.

It's also a dumb word that makes you sound like you're trying to be a smartass unless you're a writer or something.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
THIS time the plan to make a largely plastic, fully modular rifle will work. I swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fallom posted:

Lol if you think “working” is anywhere near the top of the list of priorities for the guys coming up with a new contract handout

it worked on the range

ship it

cost plus award