Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
He's probably getting fan mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Melthir posted:

Oh come on just because I have a shovel face. At least I'm getting paid....maybe.

What do you think the chances are that president taco meat burns this place to the ground.

No swipe right means they want to put things in your butt.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

M_Gargantua posted:

Wouldn’t that quantity of carfentynl be just as difficult to produce as a real nerve agent? If it’s something you can make in a shed I’d expect more people to be making it rather than importing heroin.

Apparently it's comparably easier to make than fentanyl and heroin, and chinese labs are cranking the poo poo out like crazy, hence the worry that a terrorist group might be able to procure a sizable quantity via a dark web source and manage to get it aerosol in a public space.

The LD50 isn't actually that much worse than Fentanyl, but the opioid potency is something like 100x and it's still been likened to a nerve agent in terms of toxicity.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm so glad Trump has actual things to do this week, and as such won't try to defuse the situation himself, leading to certain global thermonuclear war.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

Jared's got this

Great idea! Both sides will be so consumed with hatred for the slimey prick that they'll forget what they were fighting over to begin with.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

If we're going to survive we're probably going to have to employ carbon capture to some degree or another. A solid form like coal sounds like a much better bet than pumping the gas into the ground, which is porous and the end result is that it ends up in your basement and suffocates you.

Plus we're still going to need coking coal to make steel, until we can find a solution to that problem, and thermal coal is a much more pressing matter. So, you ban the use of coal for power generation, start using carbon capture to create coal for coking, and then shut down mines (which themselves are terrible for the environment and the people who work in them, SHUT UP Virginia) as required until you're at the demand point for steel manufacturing.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Chichevache posted:

Yes, but then we need to find an environmentally-friendly way to kill the people who want to work in mines.

Have you not heard of oxycontin

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

The Eyes Have It posted:

They literally can't imagine any possible way to do it because in their minds, Medicare for all consists of keeping the same rotten & inefficient system and simply multiplying it by everybody -- and you're left with a giant check to write.

Never mind all the incredibly impressive boondoggles the US has found a way to fund over the years without encountering these issues, such as: the Apollo space program; the B2 Spirit; ARPANET; multiple decades long asymmetrical military conflicts.

Okay, so the key to funding Medicare for All is to find a way for Lockmart to make some money out of it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Okay full disclosure I started writing about actual boondoggles and then switched to things that cost a lot but actually had value and didn't go back to edit it.

I maintain that the Internet was a mistake.

BigDave posted:

And WWII, we started the National Free School Lunch Program because 1 in 3 draftees were turned away due to malnutrition health issues.

Isn't there a huge problem with this even today in the volunteer army? I remember a month or two ago people were posting anecdotes about people hitting boot with life-threatening dental ulcers and all sorts of other treatable conditions that they couldn't deal with financially prior to signing up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

psydude posted:

Medicare, which is what several progressive candidates are looking to expand, is government-run health insurance that works with public and private healthcare providers. The idea is to let the government handle the financial aspects, versus running the system itself.

In the end, we'll probably wind up implementing something like Australia has, with universal basic healthcare and additional private health insurance for people who want it.

Even our system needs work, but yes it is far better. The private/public aspect is not something I would shoot for though.

Yes, life threatening stuff is mostly covered under the public system. But the minute you're talking about something slightly less priority, there are long-rear end waiting lists. Private cover helps take the sting out, but you're usually a few hundred out of pocket after visiting an ENT or cardiologist, even with Private insurance. More and more millenials/Zoomers are dumping private hospital cover because it doesn't really get you anything for the $150/month or more you pay for it. And it's getting more expensive every year, while wages continue to stagnate.

Also there are still gaps (co-pays) for a tonne of stuff, and heaps of holes. If you need an MRI, your choices are to go to ED, and hope that they scan you, or find $400. Yes, that beats paying $15k for an x-ray in the US even if you DO go via ED, but it's not where it needs to be.

Also as successive neoliberal governments de-fund public hospitals, bed shortages and wait times blow out. It's not a very resilient system.

Private extras cover is good if you need optical, and there is no adult dental coverage in Australia, so you need it for that. Even then, there are gaps. I need a splint to stop my teeth from grinding at night, and that's going to cost me $1600 out of pocket, even with private health cover.

The solution that both countries and probably the UK need (you just need it a fucktonne more than we do) is to abolish private cover, which is already heavily subsidised by taxpayers, and extend Medicare to cover non-emergency procedures, optical and dental, remove gaps and co-pays, and an assurance that public hospitals will be funded in accordance with demand.