Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

colachute posted:

I thought they were taxed at a flat 25%.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Mine are usually taxed at a slightly higher rate. Pretty sure most employers classify a bonus as a bonus when it's paid to you and it's taxed accordingly.

Cash bonuses have the exact same tax liability as any other regular wage income. It's only the wittholding that's different, it all gets trued up at filing time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That Works posted:

This is a bit overwrought. I work with most of the programs mentioned in the parent article and

Like, ok what they did was cute, but synthesizing DNA into a preconceived sequence is trivial these days. But to get the error to occur they had to make the program involved in compressing the output datafiles more unstable. They go on to point out that there are "3 other common programs" that get used in this type of work that have vulnerabilities that can generate the needed buffer overflow for their stuff to get out into the wild but since they weren't named I am skeptical about how common they actually are or exactly how vulnerable.

The whole thing is neat and clever but not really a big deal in regard to actual security.

It's a plain old injection attack, one of the easier things to mitigate if you're aware of the risk. But security is the last thing anyone worries about, so as the technology becomes more accessible there are going to be some hilariously bad implementations that are vulnerable to things like this.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

And Tubman's wouldn't be?

Who are we hoping to troll?

Did Tubman have strong opinions on central banking?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

isn't this exactly what it means to be pro-choice? it doesn't matter what I think because its not my body so my opinion is worthless.

Yes, but the pro-life side intentionally conflates pro-choice with pro-abortion even though pretty much no one falls into the latter category.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

orange juche posted:

Prager "University" is a rightwing nutjob "nonprofit" that turned more than a billion dollars in income last year. They put out propaganda videos that give CHUDs a warm fuzzy feeling, and they pay youtube a lot of money to get them to put them in their adroll.

Tell your moron friend that he would be better served by literally lighting that money on fire, it would do more good for the world. Or tell him to donate it to ASPCA or something.

Their budget is $10m, the billion number is how many YouTube videos they have.

The rest is accurate, it's hard right nationalism with a veneer of fancy animation.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Wanting revenge is a normal response that people can need help through, wanting revenge and framing it in racial terms is inappropriate. It's worth noting how no one says (joking aside) that they want to go out and kill a random white person when a frat student rapes someone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This says everything you need to know about the improving reliability of automobiles. Spoiler: it's a lot better than it used to be

https://www.bts.gov/content/average-age-automobiles-and-trucks-operation-united-states

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Seawalls are most likely what we're going to do instead of move cities away from the coast. They're already talking about doing one in NYC, since these things will take decades to do. Better to spend 20-30 billion over 10-15 years than try and relocate ~13 million people and radically change the east coast transport network.

The Dutch seem to have managed pretty well for the last few decades, but countries that are less ... conscientious ... about their infrastructure are going to have some monumental disasters once a significant part of the population is living below will now be sea level.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

* ACCAB

All Crooked Cops Are Bastards

If the "non-crooked" cops ever do anything but blindly back the crooked ones, we can reconsider ACAB.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Now here’s a bunch of drug dealers that I wouldn’t mind seeing get shot.

As usual, if you commit serious enough crimes while rich and white, a slap on the wrist is the worst you will get. But a brown person sells four ounces of heroin? Probably going to jail for life.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Personally I'd argue for 'removing' the owners permenantly and paying the players a good and consistent wage. Rich sportsball owners are a pox on the nation.

Transfer ownership of teams to the NFLPA?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

He seems very healthy and he's been in high level politics forever so I don't really buy the argument that he's going to wither away from the stress of the presidency. Dude is sinking free throws and running around the subway better than most people in their 40s.

The main downside of running an old candidate, in theory, is that people might vote for the younger one instead. I don't know if that's going to be a problem running against Trump, who's barely younger and visibly less healthy.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1098218016255414272
If it wasnt just so stupid, you might call this disturbing.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vasudus posted:

It's cool, it's not like the CIA effort to piggyback on polio vaccines had any negative effect either, just roll with it.

Has USAID ever not been mostly a CIA cover?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vasudus posted:

IIRC USAID is supposed to be intentionally pure from other State assets, because State itself is a vehicle for clandestine services.

lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Public_Safety

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2014/08/04/secret-usaid-cuba (updated link)

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 20, 2019

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, it's just everything he had in his apartment.

https://twitter.com/SeamusHughes/status/1098327597245779968

Americans will never grasp that domestic right wing terrorism always has been and continues to be the biggest threat to Americans, and people will continue to vote out of their fear of Muslims and Mexicans.

This won't change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

He's trying to threaten Maduro over Twitter, because that's the exciting reality we live in.

Which is by all rights a clear violation of their terms of service, but as usual rules don't apply to the powerful.