Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I don't understand why people would get upset that Ace Combat 7 doesn't have Heroes of the Storm support but there's a lot about the PC master race that I don't grok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Anyway, good morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBbRJoHTJAM

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Gaming this week made me feel old.

I booted up Overwatch for the first time since at least October. I can't keep up with it anymore. Usually I get my senses back after just an hour or two. Not this time. What's most interesting to me is I just don't care about getting better this time. I think the ship has sailed for competitive mp shooters.

Next I fired up Dark Souls and got to Ornsteim and Smough. I'm having more trouble besting them than I did back in 2011 when the game was new. I don't know that I have it in me to beat these two assholes. I'd really like to because I like the rest of the game outside this one dumb fight.

I think low stress single player games are the only games in my future. As such Wargroove and Tangledeep are both looking mightym good this morning.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why you gotta be making me go down a Mother music rabbit hole and feel a lot of feelings at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZMMSDx3Yg

Wildtortilla posted:

Gaming this week made me feel old.

I booted up Overwatch for the first time since at least October. I can't keep up with it anymore. Usually I get my senses back after just an hour or two. Not this time. What's most interesting to me is I just don't care about getting better this time. I think the ship has sailed for competitive mp shooters.

Next I fired up Dark Souls and got to Ornsteim and Smough. I'm having more trouble besting them than I did back in 2011 when the game was new. I don't know that I have it in me to beat these two assholes. I'd really like to because I like the rest of the game outside this one dumb fight.

I think low stress single player games are the only games in my future. As such Wargroove and Tangledeep are both looking mightym good this morning.

I had a weird reverse version of this happen to me as I got older. When I was younger, I'd get really, really easily frustrated with hard games and sucked at action games, so I mostly played JRPGs and other turn-based things, or if I did anything with action combat, it'd usually be an action-RPG of some kind.

Then in my mid-20s I started really liking harder single-player games and now in my early 30s I'm starting to actually enjoy competitive games a little bit.

None of it makes any sense to me because I was supposed to go the other way.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah :same: I tried playing Black Ops 2 back in the day and felt completely outclassed online.

Then I decided I would start taking it a bit more seriously (along with fighting games) and that involved reading guides and training reflexes and I think I do all right these days.

Like we olds won't be MLG-caliber but it's not like a Logan's Run situation

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Though if we're posting great melodies from video games I've gotta throw in the best melody written for a Zelda game, the Ballad of the Wind Fish. Here's a link to the original in-game version if you need to refresh your memory (or are among the unfortunate ones who have never played Link's Awakening) before you listen to this extremely good arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGJmFjfx6Q

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There are some legitimately aged people in these forums, 50 and above, but goons honestly believe that they reached their mid20s and got bad at videogames. You're not old, you just can't keep up anymore because you don't play 12 hours a day and have to work and take care of yourself/your family.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

jokes on you i was never good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my reaction times are still pretty solid but my ability to track targets in overwatch has reached doodoo toilet levels compared to what teenage me could pull off in counterstrike and such. i think you're right that it's partially because big budget twitch based shooters are hard to find and i'm playing them less and less these days and i'm absolutely out of practice though.

also hello february thread i just have to stay alive for two more months and sekiro will be out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

For me the "Oldster" bar is currently set at "Do you relate to Kratos or Joel or some other middle-aged self-insert"

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I relate to Baby Mario because I'm a widdle baby.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

For me the "Oldster" bar is currently set at "Do you relate to Kratos or Joel or some other middle-aged self-insert"

I know you picked this from the top of your head but you seriously could not have chosen worst examples for middle-aged people to relate to

I do relate to NuGoW Kratos but that's not a good thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I used to be a minor league e-sports subparstar and whenever the MLG boys came down from Mount Olympus to kick us back into the valley it was pretty good-natured and no one really cared. In one doubles tournament of Halo the two of us were winning pretty effortlessly until some guys wearing gunney optics and did it for a living came up and annihilated us 100-2 (we were very excited we scored on them lmao). We had a good laugh about it and afterward played with normal rules and had a good time. Similarly I used to play in regional Smash tournaments and do pretty well but there was one particular kid who played as Lucario and melted down shrieking every time he lost, and spend the hours he wasn't playing shouting about how great Lucario was and what a piece of poo poo everyone else is.

E-sports are pretty fun if and only if no one gives a poo poo, which is why something like Overwatch gets super unfun. Everyone gives a poo poo.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 1, 2019

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Samuringa posted:

There are some legitimately aged people in these forums, 50 and above, but goons honestly believe that they reached their mid20s and got bad at videogames. You're not old, you just can't keep up anymore because you don't play 12 hours a day and have to work and take care of yourself/your family.

Good point, being old in the context of playing video games is ultimately a time issue. Overwatch sucks for me because I don't have time to be decent at it anymore (time availability) and I feel like it wastes my time when I play it (use of time). A one two punch if you will. Similarly my inability to kill O&S is frustrating me because I can sit down for thirty minutes and not move forward in the game.

Do I get a pass though because I'm coming up on my mid 30s? When does old actually start?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd say too old to be playing videogames starts around 23

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i'd say too old to be playing videogames starts around 23

Days old

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Barudak posted:

Days old

tough, but fair

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look i know you cant support the weight of your own head with your neck but youve only got one more day to enjoy VR gaming before youre too old for it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Help. Too much Ace Combat.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
A farm of infants suspended in mid-air by VR headsets.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think that was the plot of wall-e

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Stop talking about being too old for games I turn 35 tomorrow and I WILL NEVER STOP GAMING

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

happy birthday

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm better at games in my 30s now than I was when I was a kid. Back then I always went on the easiest difficulty level and barely ever completed anything but now I can knock most games out on medium with a bit of practice.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ve never been good at games so I can’t get worse at them. Owned lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Samuringa posted:

I know you picked this from the top of your head but you seriously could not have chosen worst examples for middle-aged people to relate to

I picked those examples precisely because of how many times I've heard middle-aged dude reviewers/podcasters saying they were emotionally moved by those stories and my inner Freudian wants to say "Tell me about your family life"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't think my gaming skills have depreciated too much over the years but I deffo cannot multitask like I used to playing War3 back in college.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Stop talking about being too old for games I turn 35 tomorrow and I WILL NEVER STOP GAMING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8H2WC2e7go

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fortunately i never could multitask in rts games, i was always excruciatingly bad at them

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I've definitely found myself relating more to "dad trying to raise a kid" narratives more these days, even though I'm not a dad myself. Though by "relate to," I don't mean I look at Joel or Dad Kratos and think, "Yes, these are men I feel similar to," but more that I'm at a point in my life now where I can look at their relationships and simultaneously see what's wrong and also empathize somewhat with how they got there.

Cowcaster posted:

fortunately i never could multitask in rts games, i was always excruciatingly bad at them

:same:

RTS games have never been for me. I used to like to gently caress around in Age of Empires but eventually I just started making maps for my friend to play and that was a lot more fun. I usually just want to take my time a build a super cool base, which is probably why I eventually turned to Civ games instead.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The game genres I think I am most interested in end up being the ones I am the worst at unfortunately. So shmups, fighting games, and character action games.

Basically anything that requires some degree of good reaction time combined with being able to focus on the whole screen and not just your character and their immediate surroundings. Past a certain point everything will get too fast for me and I can't keep up, it's always been that way unfortunately.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

I always played slower strategy games like Homeworld instead of Starcraft so hearing about apm and poo poo was mindblowing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only game I want this month is Dirt Rally 2.0. I did good in January with working on my backlog, I completed 9 games. Currently I am finishing Red Dead Redemption 2 and then I want to finish Assassin's Creed Odyssey, both are titles i've been working on since their releases last year. I also did good about not buying new games in January, the only title I ended up buying was Re-Legion on Steam and that was $19. I might refund it though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I used to play a lot Warcraft of 3 back in the day, though I was never super great at it. Now though the thought of playing an rts seems actively unfun, particularly ones that lean in hard on the 300 APM micro every unit while managing your base stuff. That's stress I don't need. Shooters I've never been good enough to do anything more than the campaigns in, which means the genre is dead to me until Titanfall 3.

At this point I just play monster hunter, sometimes jrpgs, monster hunter, the occasional turn based strategy game, monster hunter, and I'm trying to play more fighting games but I'm terrible, can't pick a character or even game, and don't really have the amount of time needed to grind out muscle memory, let alone actual strategy.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm really looking forward to Warcraft III Remaster later this year. I don't really like real time strategy games anymore, but Warcraft was a big part of my childhood.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't monster hunter only a couple of steps removed from an Dark Souls or an Devil May Cry? you're probably more accustomed to it than you think

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yes I prefer turn-based strategy these days. The minus of TBS is with the exception of XCOM they don't tend to have satisfying unit chatter :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZtN1ySs0

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Winning in War3 felt so good though. Some of the most triumphant gamefeels I've ever experienced came from that game, even if I did play dirty abuse elf.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I've moved away from being competitive in stuff like FPS but just replaced it with fighting games. When Warcraft 3 remastered comes out we will see if I can still keep up in RTS.

Also I've spent more and more time playing old stuff - I've considered posting about this but there's a weird, minor pressure I often feel when playing new games that doesn't happen when I'm playing old ones. I thought at first it was just familiarity/comfort but this also applies to old games I've never played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

isn't monster hunter only a couple of steps removed from an Dark Souls or an Devil May Cry? you're probably more accustomed to it than you think

Its a few steps from devil may cry in the sense that spray painting the side of a house is a few steps away from painting A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte