Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Barudak posted:

Its a few steps from devil may cry in the sense that spray painting the side of a house is a few steps away from painting A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte

Framing this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Cowcaster posted:

happy birthday

Thanks, my wife is getting her MMJ prescription refilled tomorrow and then we're gonna spend the rest of the weekend eating gross food and smoking wheat. Her birthday is on Tuesday so we typically spend the weekend around now just being lazy and having fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

I've moved away from being competitive in stuff like FPS but just replaced it with fighting games. When Warcraft 3 remastered comes out we will see if I can still keep up in RTS.

I'll play first person shooters if the multiplayer has a mode that lets you play against just bots. I play a lot of Call of Duty this way and it's relaxing, Star Wars Battlefront II, and Quake Champions are other good games with bot modes. Fighting games work well for me too because Versus mode typically lets you play endlessly against AI.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fighting games are fun but most matches are over too quick to really put the good existential dread into you the same way that RTSes do.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Fighting games are fun but most matches are over too quick to really put the good existential dread into you the same way that RTSes do.

Thats why 5v5 fighters need to come into existence.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

PantsBandit posted:

A farm of infants suspended in mid-air by VR headsets.

playstation commercials still got it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd rather play beat em ups than fighting games and my brother would rather play fighting games than beat em ups, it's an odd situation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i'd rather play beat em ups than fighting games and my brother would rather play fighting games than beat em ups, it's an odd situation.

Good news, many games like Golden Axe and Streets of Rage have special modes allowing both of you to be unhappy at the same time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

Play that one bad guilty gear, izuka

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Play Dragon Ball FighterZ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I've never cared for DBZ.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Play that one bad guilty gear, izuka

Guilty Gear 2: Overture was also real bad

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Same, I don't like the characters and that is a big part of why I choose the fighting games I do. Right now i'm really only looking forward to Mortal Kombat XI for fighting games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

axelblaze posted:

that's the one they bizarrely turned into Sacrifice right

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guilty Gear Dust Strikers was also very not good

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's fair to criticize a pc port for its issues and bamco pc ports pretty much always have launch issues, but ac7's bugs are also on the lower end of port issues and the devs of ac7 have already acknowledged that a lot of the issues are bugs they're working on fixing and optimization-wise it sounds like the game runs well and while it sucks that flight stick support is bugged it's not like ace combat is a series that's historically been designed for one

ultimately though it's a bamco game so it's not like getting review bombed for port issues its first couple days of release is gonna kill the series' future on pc

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 1, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

axelblaze posted:

Right. I just meant isuka cause its both a brawler and a fighter to make he and his bro happy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't isuka the one they tried to make into a 4 player fighting game kind of like smash bros

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am significantly better at games than I used to be, just because I'm more aware of game systems than I used to be. I was the kind of kid who got to Sephiroth without learning how to level up materia or limit breaks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
RTS games are fun even though I am bad at them so I tend to just cheat up my resources and play that way, though I still have fun even though I'm not playing the intended way. I've played without cheating too but that usually just turns into me fortifying the home base with a ton of turrets and units and building up to the point where I can just send everything out at once and hope it works.

Is Majesty considered an rts? I never played any of them but I watched KCB play the 2nd one and she was having a lot of fun until she hit a level that showed just how poorly designed the game was because you'd basically lose as soon as you started and the only way to win was to just get lucky and hope you don't get destroyed right at the start. I've heard the first game is better about that stuff, that it is a much better game overall.

Spellforce is a fun rts/rpg hybrid too. It's one of those RTS games where you have some units and base building stuff like that but you control a unique unit you've made who goes around completing quests and getting equipment and upgrading their stats and the bonuses of their units and stuff

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

isn't isuka the one they tried to make into a 4 player fighting game kind of like smash bros

It and Dust Strikers, yes.

Isuka is notable because there is a button dedicated to "turn around" because they didnt think it through at all.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Barudak posted:

It and Dust Strikers, yes.

Isuka is notable because there is a button dedicated to "turn around" because they didnt think it through at all.

Its highly bad

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

exquisite tea posted:

How dare you

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I lost my taste for traditional tech tree base building RTSes after playing Myth and never got it back. Nothing but squad tactics.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I beat Final Fantasy 4 DS without ever really understanding the augment system so when I beat the game I was happy but also confused about how I only ever found like 2 or 3 augments.

I don't think the game ever explained how you get additional augments though. I was under the impression that I'd just find them but turns out that's not how you get them, you get the majority of them by giving augments to characters that will be leaving your party later in the plot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hrm guys our fastpaced fighting game requires a dedicated button to turn around because it is intrinsically incompatable with being a four player fighting game without serious changes, instead of thinking about what this means lets make it so you can also jump between a foreground and a background layer.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will Dead or Alive 6 be a good game? I missed that it is coming out the 15th this month.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only like the base building part of RTS' so I haven't played one for years.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kingdom of Keflings and World of Keflings are both backwards compatible if you havent played them yet, people who just like building bases in RTS games

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I said come in! posted:

Will Dead or Alive 6 be a good game? I missed that it is coming out the 15th this month.

from what i've heard it sounds better than doa5

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Another RTS I enjoyed was Dawn of War II because it didn't have base building. :P The multiplayer was awesome because it was basically just capturing and holding points on a map against your opponents. I enjoyed that, it felt unique for an RTS. I just wish it had more Warhammer 40,000 races. Dawn of War III was also super disappointing and sold poorly so post launch support was dropped quickly.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

from what i've heard it sounds better than doa5

Doa is always good but i dont buy it cause they give it away a lite version free eventually

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there any info on Etrian Odyssey Nexus out there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

It's DOA so unless you like DOA who knows.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

In Training posted:

Is there any info on Etrian Odyssey Nexus out there.

You answered your own question when you responded to mine. :P It's not on Nintendo Switch though so there's that. :sigh:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Something I like in this one RTS I've been playing rarely, 8-Bit Armies, is that the game has a bunch of optional objectives while playing and by completing them you'll unlock a bonus to your starting base, so something like "you now start with 2 tanks at the beginning of each map" or "you have an additional power generator" etc etc etc, it's a cool feature and gives me plenty of reason to go back and replay some of the missions.

In Red Alert 3, I really enjoyed that I could play it co-op and also that there was some degree of interaction between some of the units, as well as how players who are on the same team but using different factions can still have their units interact in some neat ways. The most disappointing thing with Red Alert 3 for me was that in one of the final missions, the enemy has tanks with tesla coils mounted to them and these are just not a vehicle you ever get to make in the game whatsoever. Worse still is that you can take over the building that makes those tanks and it has the option to make them, so they are a thing that the player can make if they have that particular building in that particular mission, but it isn't something you're ever given the ability to make and I don't like that. There was one other weapon like that but it was a massive essentially immortal mech that stomped around and killed everything and that mission was just meant to be a victory lap for the player since you're the one controlling it and while it'd be cool to have it as an option or something, it not being a regular unit you can make doesn't bug me as much as not being able to make the tesla tanks.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Is Etrian Odyssey Nexus going to wrap up the thing with the other Yggdrasil projects or was that essentially dropped? I know that it was a thing in 1, 2, and I think 4, and 3 was an entirely unrelated giant tree labyrinth, idk about 5 or nexus though since iirc there were still a few more Yggdrasil projects left.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Entrain Odyssey Nexus is your #1 source for tit mods

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I said come in! posted:

You answered your own question when you responded to mine. :P It's not on Nintendo Switch though so there's that. :sigh:

Fair enough lol. But there's loads of DOA6 footage, and there was the beta a couple weeks back, and pro players have had their hands on some builds and stuff. I didn't even know nexus had ever been confirmed for a western release, let alone that its out in 5 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
all i've heard about EON is that it's apparently real loving long, which actually might keep me from picking it up