Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People are 100% in the right to downvote shoddy-rear end PC ports imho. That's like, one of the most positive applications for review bombing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Allegedly it has a lot of other problems too, such as not going above 1080p resolution.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

That's not something you give the minimum score though

They're just being idiots

IMHO technical issues like "the game does not have basic joystick and native resolution support" are the things I'd probably most want to know as a consumer before I buy anything over "I didn't like the story" which is 100% arbitrary from person to person. If people wanna downvote that, I think it's a totally valid reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think my gaming skills have depreciated too much over the years but I deffo cannot multitask like I used to playing War3 back in college.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Winning in War3 felt so good though. Some of the most triumphant gamefeels I've ever experienced came from that game, even if I did play dirty abuse elf.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting games are fun but most matches are over too quick to really put the good existential dread into you the same way that RTSes do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've never cared for DBZ.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm way fitter now in my 30s than in my 20s and it's loving awesome.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It seems to me every day that the movie Ready Player One, is becoming more of a documentary.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

Is there any other choice based game that rewards picking the apparently worst choices as much as Until Dawn does?

I mean the overall plot doesn't change much but if you pick the "good" things you get a categorically vastly more boring game than if you pick all the "stupid teenagers in a horror movie" ones. You miss out on sooo many brief moments if you don't rp every character as an idiotic rear end in a top hat. I was even gonna say "aside from Hayden Panettiere" but then I remembered she has rear end in a top hat choices that end up hilarious too

I wouldn’t say Mass Effect 3 rewards poor choices, but the game is a lot more interesting when you take the fuckup decisions that get people killed. Tali committing suicide at the end of Rannoch is the craziest scene in the entire trilogy, but most people never see it because they make peace with the Geth. Boring!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Two weeks already? Good thing time does not actually exist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJZp9CdPEFA

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Looper posted:

people really like bioware's games because of the writing, right? I've never heard people talk about the gameplay

Their best games had just the right balance of characters, story, and gameplay, none of these features overtaking the others but just in the right amounts to be compelling.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Mass Effect 3 had really good gameplay that shined in multiplayer.

Anthem looks like it's trying to have that gameplay but hoo boy

The nice thing about ME3 multiplayer was that it was unexpectedly awesome and addictive for being some throwaway horde mode. Playing as a Krogan Vanguard was cool because you spent the last five years learning about krogans and them generally being badasses, then you get to bitchslap some aliens into the next dimension. In Anthem there's none of that attachment unless you just really like Iron Man or something, and the demo doesn't really provide a favorable impression of its worldbuilding. Hard for me to get hype over mech suits plinking away at gleep glop aliens without a little context.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Say no more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Battle Royales are the “went home to be with family” of soon-to-be-dead developers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Gritty remake of my own choice would be boogerman but reimagined to be a lot like the Arkham Knight and taking itself that seriously.
Fart-propel yourself through the city to land on a group of things and blow snot on them while delivering one liners.

*reluctantly uncovering a jar labeled BEST FARTS from underneath the floorboards*

"I.. I promised myself I would never succumb to using these again..."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

C-Euro posted:

We live in a world where Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse exists, so I question this headline.

E: actually that's a good chat thread flash poll- what is the best video game based solely on Disney IP? They have to have owned the IP when the game came out so no old Star Wars games.

Unquestionably Aladdin.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The crossover is good when it is rare, unexpected, and enhances both sides of whatever you're crossing over. The most successful crossover of all time was undeniably eukaryotic endosymbiosis.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I get really disheartened and sad whenever I see something from some total loving nobody on twitter. It's a big deal, to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I prefer it when games don't play themselves

I like it in games when you can send crew out to passively collect loot for you while you're bored at work, but I don't like it when games play themselves in front of me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wait, so if you're on a 60hz monitor how is an FPS jump from 70 - 120 even recognizable to you?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

60fps in games = good, tasteful
60fps in tv/movies = cheap looking

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Back in the day low FPS didn't automatically equal bad performance, sometimes it meant "the sheer awesomeness of what is happening onscreen is too much for your PS2 to handle." Nowadays I'm a huge elitist baby though and will refund anything on Steam that can't hit 60fps locked on my system.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The film grain texture in Mass Effect 1 was so bad, it was always the first thing I turned off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No way it is AT LEAST Dreamcast quality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am pro (tasteful) motion blur, it's how you get games to look fluid and cinematic without appearing "cheap" at higher framerates. There are good and bad examples of each though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Andrast posted:

I have no idea why chromatic aberration is a graphics setting in some games

Yeah this just sucks and has no reason to exist.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Man Warcraft III was so good. Gonna try dusting off the old RTS skills for that one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I might have to take a principled stand on an issue of actual importance at work tomorrow that might result in me getting fired. But if it does hey, more time to game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

chumbler posted:

That's rough. Hopefully you are in a position that you can afford being fired for doing the right thing if that happens.

I'm not rich but I can hustle. Might have to pre-order the standard edition of DMCV instead of the Deluxe, which is the real tragedy here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Update: I did not get fired but things are hella tense RN. Prolly gonna be lots of staff meetings in the near future. But for the time being I'm employed and can afford DMCV Deluxe, phew.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Hurray for steady employment! Are you in a position where you can look into other options?

I'm doing that constantly. But it's higher ed so things move glacially.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Death Stranding is going to be such unbelievable self-indulgent wank that I'll probably end up buying anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've already played the 15min demo for DMCV three times to S-rank and I want more, this game is gonna own hard.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Motto posted:

I haven't played one, but most of the ~walking sims~ camster shows off look neat.

Most video games are walking simulators most of the time, when you really think about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Downtime while you’re walking through an environment can build atmosphere and story, I can’t say I’ve ever experienced that by staring at a load screen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

walking sims rule but the genre has the highest chasm between boom and bust of any genre in gaming. a walking sim is either boring garbage or it's an amazing experience

I've liked pretty much every walking simulator I tried with the exception of Ethan Carter, which is probably one of the worst games I've ever played. I don't know if that confirms or disputes your claim but the nice thing about walky sims is that they're all over in 2-3 hours.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dragon Age 4 has already been restarted once and all the principal writers behind the games (Gaider, Laidlaw) are gone with the exception of Patrick Weekes. If Anthem flops I'd be surprised if it ever got made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm glad I totally missed Kingdom Hearts.