Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

man nurse posted:

I just got broken up with, so this will be the month of video games helping to distract me and heal my soul.

Sorry to hear that, hope you've got some games you've been looking forward to lined up! Personally I think Wargroove and Metro will make this a great month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I wanted to mention Axiom Verge, one of my favorite games to come out in the past few years, since it will be free on the Epic game store this month starting on the 7th. I'd urge anyone who has slept on this one to give it a shot.

The similarities to Super Metroid are evident from the get go. The tile based world, 16-bit style graphics, the fact that you gain your first upgrade by going left from the beginning.... along with burrowing through tiles to find secrets and hidden passageways, the mostly lonely exploration of a strange alien world, and so on. The first 'act' is also quite reminiscent. There are a lot of dead ends that leave you wondering how you'll get past them, but within the first 90 minutes you'll do a full loop back to the beginning, decked out in all sorts of new equipment, ready to poke deeper into all the areas you had previously visited. But I can't stress enough that Axiom Verge transcends these similarities and develops an identity of its own, and should be seen as much more than walking in Metroid's shadow.

The gameplay design is really fantastic. The exploration does an amazing job of hitting the sweet spot between perfunctory and horseshit. You'll likely find yourself not knowing what to do next at certain points (you won't find any waypoint markers here), but when you finally figure it out the reaction is 'ohhhh clever' rather than 'that was stupid'. The upgrades you get generally have multiple uses, and the extend of their usefulness may not be immediately apparent... this experimentation combined with the exploration is really rewarding.

The combat difficulty is about medium for a metroidvania. It's much more strategic rather than reactive. It's overall much easier than something like Hollow Knight - that level of precision is simply not needed. Rather, when you find a new enemy you can sit back out of harm's way, look at what it's doing, an devise an approach that will work best. There are over a dozen unique weapons and they *mostly* have their uses in certain situations. You can just switch between them on the fly to find whatever is suitable for the situation. And each enemy can have its reality manipulated, which generally makes the fight easier and can have all kinds of unique effects. When revisiting earlier areas it's possible to tank damage and kill much quicker, so the backtracking maintains a brisk pace, but each new area does a good job of presenting new challenges. If I have to give the game a negative, however, it would have to be the boss fights, which are mearly mediocre. Of the 8 bosses, the first 4 are pretty simple/cheeseable, while the last 4 are damage races. There is some strategy and clever movement possible, but the bosses are not the highlight of the game.

I found the story to be excellent. It does a great job tying into the gameplay and aiding with the really fantastic worldbuilding, and has some strong and genuinely interesting theming. It does contain ideas like reality manipulation, cloning, multiple universes, alternate realities (maybe?), and nonlinearity, along with starting in medias res... which could be a little dense for some people who are not interested in unpacking all of that. However, the story can be enjoyed on a much more surface level - the main story beats are told explicitly through cutscenes while the more cryptic stuff is hidden away in hints and notes.

Speaking of notes, the soundtrack is one of my all time favorites. Fat thumping bass, alien beeps and boops, and sick nasty sampling create a really moody and fun atmosphere. The sound design overall is top notch.

One last thing I'd like to mention is the lack of skinner box mechanics anywhere. There is no leveling, no skill trees, no point allocation, no progress bars, no numbers flying out of enemies when you shoot them... this is a game that stands firmly on its own gameplay and story merits. No to say those aforementioned design elements are necessarily bad in every circumstance, but I find their absence really refreshing. This is a game that doesn't waste your time. You won't be diddling around it menus - when you're playing you're playing. And you'll be in and out in 8 hours, 10 if you get lost a lot, 12-14+ if you want to go for the 100% which is genuinely hard as gently caress imo. If any of that sounds interesting, try it all for freeee

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

worst acquisition was Raven Software by Activision because they just became a COD studio instead of being able to make their own games

still waiting for Star Trek Elite Force 3.......

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I was thinking about trying Apex Legends after reading about it all day, but I had forgotten the name. Had to Google 'apex titanfall' to jog my memory. That sure is a perfectly smooth title that glides over my brain without catching on to any of the synapses. Possibly the least memorable pair of words I've ever come across.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Played some Apex Legends, didn't enjoy it much. Most matches seem to be either die before finding a weapon or spend 15 minutes wandering around with my squad, occasionally plinking some enemies at a distance, then die in a 15 second firefight. I guess that's not really novel for the genre though.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I'm glad the Combine won. They deserved it. Look where humanity has gone without them. Gimme my dope rear end giant telepathic grub body so I can post on the internet with my mind

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

sen's fortress is loving awful and people who say dark souls is good are all liars

It sounds to me like you didn't get good.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I keep playing Apex even though I'm not having much fun. It's so easy to queue next match and hope that things will click next time, but I'm just not getting a hang of the gunplay at all. I snuck up behind a guy and unloaded a whole clip at him and didn't do any damage. And I consider myself good at FPS normally, idk

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Think I'm gonna try to give Hollow Knight one more chance

like #4 now

What has caused you to bounce off of it?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Was never a fan of the combat, I think. Been a while

Well that's significant since it's the meat of the game and can't be avoided. Although I will say it gets better throughout the game as you acquire more upgrades. The dash ability is a particularly huge step forward in mobility and makes combat way more interesting.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Someone explain these to me please :(

They are puns where you place the name of the characters in the part of the phrase where they are standing. The payoff isn't worth it.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

lost my retainer posted:

Metro exodus is releasing in about 3 hours but I don't even see a thread about it. Anyone here play it yet ? It looks good and I'm a lot more interested in it than the new Farcry.

I'm really looking forward to it. It's also the first game since I bought my new PC where I'm actually concerned about performance and settings sacrifices actually affecting the graphics (I have a Vega 56 and want to play at 1440p and at least a rock solid 60fps...)

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Chili is very important and specific do not do this

It's just beef stew with chili peppers. There are a million great variations that all came about through experimentation. "Authenticity" in food is universally backwards bullshit. I stan cabbage goon, who rips us from our chains of tradition.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I've been playing some Doom 2016 and while it's great I'm having a lot of trouble unlocking the classic maps. I feel like I've been really thorough, gotten most of the other secrets, but only 1 classic map so far. I've noticed locked doors with an area behind them that I can't get to but can see on my map is a recurring theme, but I can't seem to figure out how to open these doors. On the one I unlocked there was just a lever to pull in a adjacent room but that seems a lot more obvious than whatever else I must be missing. Are the rest unlocked by a similar system of finding something nearby to interact with? Are there some other conditions that need to be met? Are the solutions not clearly telegraphed like in the originals where you just press use on walls and stuff? I'd love to be pointed in the right direction here without getting the answer outright.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Thanks, I'll give it another shot now that I know what to look for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Ariong posted:

I would recommend taking a good look at the one lever you have found, because all the levers on Mars look exactly like it. If you want, here is a picture of what they look like in Hell with no location spoilers. As for finding them, while most secrets usually have something telegraphing their existence or at least are placed somewhere you'd end up if you were looking for a secret, the levers are placed in areas designed to make them as hard to find as possible. Sometimes getting to them feels like exploiting level geometry to get somewhere the developers didn't intend, other times getting to them means going to a room you've been in 15 times and looking in a corner or on top of a stack of boxes you'd never looked twice at before. This is compounded by the fact that the levers are so nondescript that you'd never notice them unless you were looking for them.

Basically, when you look at something in DOOM, there are three things you might think; "That's probably the main path," "There's probably a secret there," or, "That's probably not something I'm supposed to bother with." The levers are hidden in places which invoke the third thought. That might not sound helpful, but realizing that made them a lot easier to find for me. Good luck, don't feel bad if you have to look up a couple, they're devious.

Thank you, this is all very helpful. The one that I found was actually one of the ones in hell, in front of a furnace/fireplace that seemed clear enough. I guess it kind of blended in a bit. That one classic map is a doozy though. I had a crazy jump scare when I opened up a wall at low health hoping to find some pickups and there was a cacodemon that instantly bit my face off.