Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Gaming this week made me feel old.

I booted up Overwatch for the first time since at least October. I can't keep up with it anymore. Usually I get my senses back after just an hour or two. Not this time. What's most interesting to me is I just don't care about getting better this time. I think the ship has sailed for competitive mp shooters.

Next I fired up Dark Souls and got to Ornsteim and Smough. I'm having more trouble besting them than I did back in 2011 when the game was new. I don't know that I have it in me to beat these two assholes. I'd really like to because I like the rest of the game outside this one dumb fight.

I think low stress single player games are the only games in my future. As such Wargroove and Tangledeep are both looking mightym good this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Samuringa posted:

There are some legitimately aged people in these forums, 50 and above, but goons honestly believe that they reached their mid20s and got bad at videogames. You're not old, you just can't keep up anymore because you don't play 12 hours a day and have to work and take care of yourself/your family.

Good point, being old in the context of playing video games is ultimately a time issue. Overwatch sucks for me because I don't have time to be decent at it anymore (time availability) and I feel like it wastes my time when I play it (use of time). A one two punch if you will. Similarly my inability to kill O&S is frustrating me because I can sit down for thirty minutes and not move forward in the game.

Do I get a pass though because I'm coming up on my mid 30s? When does old actually start?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Looper posted:

what platform are you playing dark souls on? do you want any help?

I'm playing on Switch. Running a pyro + claymore build currently. I'm not one to turn down help. I probably will have time this weekend.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
A few days I exhausted myself trying to convince someone climate change is a real threat. Their main arguement was "all the temperature readings are collected at airport runway tarmacs from thermometers that are in the sun all the time. Also how can you even average global temperature?"

It's extra frustrating for me cause I'm a geologist and this all makes perfect sense to me. But you know what isn't my area of expertise? Automobile mechanics. Health science. Etc. I don't argue with my mechanic or doctor. When did we discount experts and their knowledge?

It's not my fault that you don't understand isotope geochemistry, but why can't you believe me when I say it's real?

HOW ABOUT THEM VIDEO GAMES?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Looper posted:

also i already deleted it from this quote but lmao at that guy's argument

I wanted to eye roll into last week.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The real question I want answered tonight is: Tangledeep or Wargroove (both for Switch)?? I am paralyzed indecision.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

victrix posted:

Tangledeep if you want 16 bit nostalgia roguelike action with the bestest console controls and amazing music

Or Wargroove if you want fantasy advance wars

So both obviously (I mean they scratch pretty different itches)

I'm leaning toward Tangledeep. I've always day dreamed about a handheld roguelike. I like grid based tactics games, but I'm coming off an Into the Breech bender and it may be too soon for more grid tactics.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I like ME1 a bunch when it released. I thought the story was cool and the gameplay was fun enough. I played ME2 about a year after it released and thought it blew. The story was garbage, it felt like a bunch of shot TV episodes. I didn't care about any of the characters. I didn't think the gameplay was much of an improvement over 1's. I haven't ever gone back to 1 to see if I dislike it now. I'm content to remember it fondly.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should be a golder profile color for those who spend $130 on only copies of Bad Rats.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Andrast posted:

I also vote for Super Mario Odyssey

:yeah:

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

GUI posted:

I want a dark and gritty sadfeels Bubsy reboot like Wolfenstein The New Order

What about Bubsy + Spec Ops?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My 8bitdo wireless USB adapter finally came! My PC in the room next to my living room is hooked up to this TV. I'm playing Paper Mario TTYD on my couch with a wireless Wii U Pro controller. The best thing is: IT'S SO EASY TO USE.

I'm living in the future now! :D

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played Hollow Knight up to the boss fight for what I believed to be the bad ending. Then I got confused for awhile and looked up what I was missing. I think I totally missed an entire zone to the east. I think the entrance was obscured by an invisible wall. Then I never picked it up again.

I didn't dislike the game but it didn't resonate with me the way it seems to with the majority of people. That surprised me cause HK is definitely a game I should have loved.

I don't think I have played it since around the time Octopath released. I keep thing I should restart it and give it another whirl.

I think what I'm ultimately getting at is I wish Super Metroid was available on the Switch.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

do i need to play the first 98 tetrises to understand the backstory

This is a good question. Hopefully someone makes a Tetris anime to tell the story for those of us lacking time to play Tetris 1 thru 98.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Ten years ago today my college roommate and I loaded his old FF7 save and beat Emerald and Ruby Weapons. I only know this because I posted about it on Facebook at the time.

That was a good day.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is Bideo James related to James Bond?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Good morning chat thread. My office closed because of snow so I'm spending the day drinking coffee and playing TTYD. I hope you all are having an enjoyable day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's the Twilight Town chapter in TTYD the worst chapter? It's constant back and forth from one end of the zone to the other! I think I'm heading back to the Steeple to fight the final boss of the area.