Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://www.destructoid.com/capcom-was-down-for-dragon-s-dogma-2-but-itsuno-prioritized-devil-may-cry-5-541980.phtml

Thanku Capcom for making the right decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dragon's Dogma has the best combat system in any action RPG ever but it was probably for the best to exercise their new engine with other poo poo. I just really hope they can apply that combat to a game world that's interesting because the characters/overworld/story of DDogma were brain numbing

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

Deep Down and WiLD definitely exist and weren't just made up to sell people on PS4 before it had good games

holy poo poo I forgot about WiLD. I feel so loving bad for Michel Ancel, his entire career is just poo poo that gets cancelled or takes decades to come out. I'm not even convinced BG+E2 will come out for another 4 to 5 years.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if people keep getting fooled by Destiny's bullshit they absolutely will buy Anthem, it's not unrealistic for the game to sell lots

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

EA should say gently caress it and just have this new idiot battle royale be the moneymaker while they reinvest into Dead Space.

There was recently an Ars Technica "war stories" video on the making of Dead Space that is excellent, and it's now the highest-viewed vid on the channel at 3 million views. I think the audience is there for it, especially with how well RE2 is doing.

Here's the vid btw because it owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ3iqq49Ew8

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

seeing this on the Arkane page is like my worst nightmare

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I see a bunch of reviews dropping for Metro/Crackdown/Far Cry and they look kind of middling, seems like a dead month for poo poo until Sekiro/DMCV explodes in. I'm probably wrong on Metro though since I have zero experience in the previous games.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Anthem early reviews are trickling in but I'm taking them with as much face value as the Destiny ones. Maybe I'm just getting old but I can't fathom another one of these "repeat unfun mission 100 times to grind for mats to make a gun, repeat ad infinitum." The flying controls for Anthem should be given to a Platinum or Sega game though because flying and moving around is killer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if they wanted a game that was iconic then why did they go the Destiny route of naming things such generic bullshit i.e. the Darkness, The Fallen,The Conclave, The Butthole, etc. I loving hate the console MMO trend now of just using the most plain-rear end names for your world. Warframe might be the one that eschews this but only because Warframe's lore and naming is lunatic-levels of sci-fi babble.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I loved persona 5 but will admit the style/soundtrack is overall greater than the sum of the game's parts. if the music was trash in P4 I think it'd be remembered as a shittier game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The Colonel posted:

persona 5 was undermined by the director's view that all women should be "cute" leading to one of the worst character redesigns in video game history

which character is that?

Harrow posted:

I'd say that the combat and dungeons in Persona 5 rise to a level pretty far above mediocre and there's a lot of good there, though it's definitely a game whose actual story lets down (and even actively undermines) the ideas it appears to be trying to convey.

yeah the dungeons are so much better than the boring labyrinths of P4 that are godawful. same with the quality of life improvements in P5. I could never go back to that old poo poo again.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how can you get cuter/cooler than a backwards baseball cap

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tetris 99 literally seems like the best Battle Royale yet and the only one I'm interested in

The only thing that would be more fun is a wrestling game doing a 99 man Royal Rumble thing or something

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this sounds exhausting

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/status/1097170078250893313

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1097141793429311489

Starving and broke while writing NPC SJW video game drivel to own the libs

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harrow posted:

There really is a lot about Anthem that is legitimately excellent, and just about all of it is found in the combat system (especially the ability, gear, and class design). It's just that everything else about the game is a total mess, and sometimes in ways that don't seem all that fixable (like, things where it's clear this engine wasn't meant to be used for this kind of game, like how the "free play" open world stuff is actually matchmade with a small number of players and not done with seamless phasing like The Division and Destiny).

It's depressing because what's good is very good, but what's bad is so, so goddamn bad. It'd be one thing if the whole game was garbage from top to bottom, but it really isn't, and that makes its failures all the more disappointing.

this sounds a lot like how myself and others would say "the gunplay in Destiny feels great in spite of so much other bullshit" which makes me wish games like that had just been given a single player campaign with more focus like DOOM 2016

The demo was odd because poo poo was so dark I legit never got a good look at the enemies who were firing at me. They were just shapes firing off lazers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Anthem looks like it's gonna get critically savaged and not even in a "flawed but shows promise" way like Destiny or The Division. :rip: Bioware.

I didn't expect so many indifferent, largely fatigued reviews about it so far but I guess people are burnt out from so much bullshit Destiny put them through that there's gonna be little to no patience for another game that goes through the infinite loop of "gently caress up a thing, fix a thing, gently caress up again, fix a thing again" in a console MMO

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Relax Or DIE posted:

Cold take here but I just started Spiderman and moving around in the game is a blast. There's probably a good effortpost about how movement in action games overall maybe kinda sucks but it's too much to unpack for a phone post.

Insomniac really nailed it with that game, it's awesome how so many things are done with only a few buttons and you can have fun with all the tools and combinations they give you. The swinging isn't exactly the same kind of physics as Spiderman 2 but I've had way more fun with how this game does it, especially how context sensitive it is to collisions--you just keep going and running along buildings.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Valve's been a boring money pit for years so it doesn't surprise me that they've stopped giving a gently caress about doing anything interesting. I actually hope Epic Games takes off a little even in the face of lovely gamers getting pissy that some of their games won't be on Steam's platform. The payout to devs on the EG platform seems friendlier.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

either way gamers get more pissed at titties being censored than digital game platforms treating devs and consumers like poo poo so the medium as a whole is hosed. imagine thinking anita sarkeesian is the death of your hobby and not Big Steam and Big DLC

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oh gently caress

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

axelblaze posted:

I thought you were at least trying to be funny with your terminology but NOPE
https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1097886168992104448

those MK9 designs are unbelievably loving bad, it is incredible how people legit want those godawful stripper designs with stiff balloon boobs to be the norm. I don't remember people saying this about MKX though which is odd, because that was the first game in the series with good costume designs for the women characters

also kind of loving weird that in a fighting game primarily about gore people really need those tits out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mill Village posted:

I used to watch this angry Youtuber that got poo poo from people because he started faking his rage videos.

isn't that all of them now

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

Anthem has a lower aggregate score than Mass Effect Andromeda lol

https://opencritic.com/game/7084/anthem

it's only based on 6 numbered scores and 6 more unscored reviews but yeah practically all of them are "ehhhhhhh not feeling this"

the last few weeks have been a cascade of mediocre poo poo between this/crackdown/far cry 5.5/jump force. all unworthy sacrifices to the alter of Dante

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

precision posted:

Like for some reason they tried to make it a secret that you get literal super powers in New Dawn when that poo poo should have been front and center in the marketing

I read something about how you get a magical fruit from former antagonist Joe Seed and it does things to you, that is loving nuts I have to look up the powers now

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

What makes them alt-right anyway

if anything they were just weirdo religious libertarians who hated the gubberment. Far Cry 4 was eons better in terms of characters, story, and the equipment you earn. Most of Far Cry 5's weaponry you don't even get til extremely late, as opposed to FC4's crazy stuff you can earn yourself. I loved that Robocop's gun was in that game.

The Wingsuit was also more fun in FC4, mainly because there are actual loving cliffs and vistas to launch off. FC5 is full of flat plains, you can't do poo poo from them.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

preorders are 100% a scam

I had Resident Evil 2, Smash Ultimate, Soul Calibur 6 and DMCV preordered since August but that was mainly because they were safe bets + I wanted to get the Amazon discount registered before it ended. Was the only time I've bothered to preorder poo poo way in advance and luckily I'm probably gonna be 4 for 4 with it

Preordering stuff from companies like Ubisoft, Bethesda, or EA is obviously more of a risk than preordering a Mario game these days

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Well fudge.

I wanted to play flying shooty man, but not if it's like taking on a second job.

all of the mmo shooters might as well be a second fucken job with all the bullshit you have to grind for, wait for DOOM Eternal to save you from openworld FPS hell

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

DOOM Eternal is the most hyped I've ever been for anything.

DOOM (2016) is legit my most favorite game ever.

same, besides RE2 and DMCV it's something I need day 1. DOOM 2016 was my favorite game of its year / one of my favorites ever. When the gently caress is the release date

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Almost every time I hear someone bouncing off HK it seemed to stem from thinking being lost for a lot or most of the game was a bad thing. Which is fine in itself, but when that same complaint comes from people who enjoy Metroidvanias prior to HK it feels a little strange. What is it about HK is that much different other than just being so big? I never liked them enough before HK to call myself a fan of the genre, but it turned around for me with something that was built on the best ideas of everything before it and adding in Dark Souls flavor that I could go back and appreciate the pieces of inspiration on their own.

being lost wasn't my issue but lack of fast travel points and the trekking through the same routes definitely was. exploration is fun but sometimes I got fatigued going back and forth in some places. tbh this is the same problem I have with Souls games so it's really just my personal gripe. Sometimes I want to explore more in those games but when I have other stuff to do or get tired of playing I'd like having more shortcuts/savepoints.

Help Im Alive posted:

I wish they gave you some of the movement abilities in HK a little sooner because it doesn't feel that good until you've got a few of them

yeah this too, early on it's not as fun until you get the dash and other abilities

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

makes sense, why would Nintendo bother to make any more Marios when we'll be able to make our own with Mario Maker 2

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if Nintendo doesn't lean into this new guy's name hard then idk what to think. it's the easiest PR layup in history to just have this guy hosting a direct and address viewers as "MY KOOPA KIDS"

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

THE CENTURY OF WARIO IS UPON US

OUR PROMISED LAND AWAITS

baffling how we haven't gotten a Super Wario Bros game where the object is to make a mess of every level

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's impressive that every non-sports EA title has been just dismantled or hosed with.

The E3 stage presentations for EA and Bethesda this year are going to be some poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I said come in! posted:

My small circle of friends that play Destiny 2 are super hyped for the game. But these are diehard Destiny 2 fans that love this type of game, and since by all accounts Bungie is abandoning Destiny, this is the next game to go over to along with Division 2.

Yeah I know people like this but I feel like I can't invest my time in any MMO thing anymore, just too much time invested into something that doesn't really give back much to the grindfest for poo poo loot in the same 10 Strikes. The replay value for stuff like RE2 or Devil May Cry just seem more alluring since I can play those in bursts and actually have fun doing it. So much of the console MMO shooters force you to do unfun poo poo which is a big problem. When a game feels like a fuckin job I'm out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

if you ARE willing to read articles/watch videos gameinformer ran a month long thing about sekiro through january with lots of nitty gritty info here:
https://www.gameinformer.com/sekiro

gently caress yeah, I loved their month-long Spider-Man feature a while back.

funny as gently caress that the two premier games in March both have protagonists who lose their arm and get it replaced with something rad, MGSV really was ahead of its time

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

loving yikes https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-25-anthem-physical-sales-half-mass-effect-andromeda

Half of Andromeda, not good for Bioware

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Bioware and Bethesda Softworks fizzling out after both of their poo poo-tier MMO games hit a new low for their respective studios would just be a course correction imo. For years I've heard "well nobody else can make Dragon Age/Mass Effect/Fallout-esque experiences so we're stuck with these messy games" and now not only are the games getting worse but this statement is no longer true with stuff like Cyberpunk 2077, Apex Legends, and The Outer Worlds coming into prominence. I really think Fallout 76 was the extinction-level fuckup that showed developers you can't be too big to fall and now with Anthem it's even more true.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Two games that haven't released and a battle royale.

I'd bet a zillion bucks that those two unreleased games are going to be 100x times better versions of anything Bioware/Bethesda tries in the future, I added Apex Legends mainly because Respawn was kind of in Bioware's shoes but did something that actually saved them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I said come in! posted:

In before Bioware management moves on to create lovely kickstarter games, following in tradition of showing that EA was correct in murdering dev studios they previously owned.

thinking about it, ME2 was really the only Bioware game I've ever enjoyed so maybe it was just a fluke. Dragon Age Inquisition really soured me halfway with the loving chores they make you do. Nobody loving wants to collect loving plants and ores for that long.