Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

im gonna be the only person in the world to buy far cry new dawn, you can't stop me

I hope you get a personal thank you letter from Ubisoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why you gotta be making me go down a Mother music rabbit hole and feel a lot of feelings at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmZMMSDx3Yg

Wildtortilla posted:

Gaming this week made me feel old.

I booted up Overwatch for the first time since at least October. I can't keep up with it anymore. Usually I get my senses back after just an hour or two. Not this time. What's most interesting to me is I just don't care about getting better this time. I think the ship has sailed for competitive mp shooters.

Next I fired up Dark Souls and got to Ornsteim and Smough. I'm having more trouble besting them than I did back in 2011 when the game was new. I don't know that I have it in me to beat these two assholes. I'd really like to because I like the rest of the game outside this one dumb fight.

I think low stress single player games are the only games in my future. As such Wargroove and Tangledeep are both looking mightym good this morning.

I had a weird reverse version of this happen to me as I got older. When I was younger, I'd get really, really easily frustrated with hard games and sucked at action games, so I mostly played JRPGs and other turn-based things, or if I did anything with action combat, it'd usually be an action-RPG of some kind.

Then in my mid-20s I started really liking harder single-player games and now in my early 30s I'm starting to actually enjoy competitive games a little bit.

None of it makes any sense to me because I was supposed to go the other way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Though if we're posting great melodies from video games I've gotta throw in the best melody written for a Zelda game, the Ballad of the Wind Fish. Here's a link to the original in-game version if you need to refresh your memory (or are among the unfortunate ones who have never played Link's Awakening) before you listen to this extremely good arrangement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGJmFjfx6Q

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

I know you picked this from the top of your head but you seriously could not have chosen worst examples for middle-aged people to relate to

I do relate to NuGoW Kratos but that's not a good thing.

I've definitely found myself relating more to "dad trying to raise a kid" narratives more these days, even though I'm not a dad myself. Though by "relate to," I don't mean I look at Joel or Dad Kratos and think, "Yes, these are men I feel similar to," but more that I'm at a point in my life now where I can look at their relationships and simultaneously see what's wrong and also empathize somewhat with how they got there.

Cowcaster posted:

fortunately i never could multitask in rts games, i was always excruciatingly bad at them

:same:

RTS games have never been for me. I used to like to gently caress around in Age of Empires but eventually I just started making maps for my friend to play and that was a lot more fun. I usually just want to take my time a build a super cool base, which is probably why I eventually turned to Civ games instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dog is one of the basic units every army gets. Though one of the armies has a dog who is a commander, making them the best army.

Also unlike every other enemy type, when a dog unit gets damaged/defeated, they run away instead of dying, because Chucklefish wisely knew that their game would be a huge bummer if you were always killing dogs and watching your dogs get killed. :hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anthem is a game with a ton of potential--the core gameplay, I think, is really fun--that I think is going to absolutely crash and burn because it really, really isn't ready to go. Even taking into account the things that we know have been fixed for launch, there are just too many features missing for me to believe this is how the game should be launching.

If it gets the long-term support it's planned to, I think it can go from "fun to mess around with" to "legitimately really good" in about a year, and luckily they're making the DLC free so you won't have to pay for that upgrade like Destiny. I think its combat and systems are fun and different enough from its competitors that it has room to stand out, which is cool, but good god the UI is bad, the single-player hub is bad, and it's missing things that would seem like pretty baseline features for a game like this with no indication of when or if they'll ever appear (text chat, an FOV slider, anywhere to actually look at your total stats...).

I'm still going to play it on launch because I am perhaps the stupidest man alive and I really do enjoy the moment-to-moment gameplay, but I already had low expectations for how successful this game's launch would be and it's looking like it might slide right under those.

It's a real shame, too, because I really do think it has a ton of potential, and I've found the Bioware devs' transparency and direct communication so far to be extremely refreshing. But this just isn't ready to go yet, and I wish it had more time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really think that's BotW's biggest strength and the one key thing that I really hope carries forward into future Zelda games. The fact that the right way to do something in the game boils down to "if it works, it was the right way to do it" is a ton of fun, especially because of how many different things can work in a lot of cases.

I recall reading that this was a conscious decision during development, too. They'd often find during testing that players could shortcut or find alternate, weird solutions to puzzles or navigation, and they'd just intentionally leave them in because they wanted players to feel rewarded for finding a solution, whatever that solution ended up being. It's why you can totally cheese a couple of the motion control shrines, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Competitive gatcha opening

That's just called FIFA

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

to be fair I think there is probably still lots of space to do cool stuff with battle royales, but they'd have to be made by someone not afraid to move more than a step away from PUBG/Fortnite

I'm kind of curious to try out Spellbreak even though it's basically just "what if every other battle royale, except you're wizards"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

chumbler posted:

The real question is what is the next unscrupulous monetization scheme companies will try, assuming they are compelled to finally drop loot boxes.

The leading contender, IMO, is the "battle pass." You split your game into "seasons" and release a bunch of new items and cosmetics with each season that you can unlock by earning XP. The catch is that you have to buy access to each season as it comes, which is the "battle pass" you buy. In Fortnite, the basic battle pass costs $9.50 per season. So basically you buy the ability to unlock things but much like loot boxes, there's no guarantee you'll actually get the things you want--they might be at high tiers and locked behind grind, or it might be somewhat randomized and you're unlucky and don't get the items you want before the season ends.

Fortnite also lets you buy a special version of their battle pass for $28 that instantly unlocks 25 tiers for you so you unlock a bunch of stuff right off the bat.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I hope capitalism dies in my lifetime

:hai:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

True

on the other hand, Anthem crashing and burning would be pretty funny

If it was a legitimately bad game I might agree, but instead Anthem seems like something that could be an excellent game except it's being released like six months too early and everyone knows it. It's one of those things where the devs clearly give a poo poo and have been surprisingly transparent, but also clearly don't have the budget to delay the game as long as it probably needs to be.

Anthem crashing and burning would be kind of a bummer, honestly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sometimes I forget that Death Stranding is supposed to be an actual game. Like at this point I have zero investment in it actually coming out. I'm just along for the ride. Keep the weird trailers rolling.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

Bravely Default does not pull anything that bad in its second half but it is a game where at a certain point the game assumes youve mastered whats available to you and broken it as hard as you can because it is too.

That's one of the reasons I love Bravely Default so much. When I went into it I knew I was going to care a lot about the job system and try to make my characters really powerful, and I worried that I'd just trivialize the game because it'd be balanced for "I dunno, just use what you want"-style play.

Nope. Not one bit.

I did play on Hard, but a lot of the things that tripped me up would've been tough on Normal, too. That game really wants to to actually pay attention to what each job can do and how you can play them off each other. Even doing hacky things like poisoning your own characters to gain extra BP every round feels intended and that owns.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lemming posted:

That is the EA entire AAA video game industry's core demographic :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

lootboxes, and battle passes, and buyable characters. welcome to hell

Jesus god

I acknowledge the necessity of continued revenue for a "live service" game but even if you're F2P there's a loving limit to what you can get away with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

The extra hosed up part about this is that the Battlefield Battle Royale is coming out in like 2 weeks. Which is exactly what they did to Titanfall 2.

I wonder if it'll be reversed this time, though, because I'm seeing a reasonable amount of excitement for Apex Legends outside of this thread, meanwhile everyone seems to have entirely forgotten Battlefield V is getting a battle royale mode at all.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

man, i forgot there was even a battlefield v. didn’t one (the 4th battlefield) come out just last year

I think it was 2016

Also I think BFOne was the fifth Battlefield because there was a Battlefield 4 before it.

There's usually like a two-year gap between Battlefield games so V was pretty much on schedule (BF4 in 2014, One in 2016, V in 2018)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Is that thing still getting it's Battle Royale mode? So now EA is making Titanfall compete with Battlefield yet again?

Yeah, pretty much. Though again I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo about BFV's battle royale mode so Apex Legends might actually have a shot.

Cowcaster posted:

so what you’re telling me is they called the fifth battlefield battlefield one and the sixth battlefield battlefield five

Hell yeah they did

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Some things to know about Nioh that are different from Souls
  • Every weapon type scales with two stats, and usually one of them boosts your health and/or ki (stamina). Splitting stats like that isn't a terrible idea, and using multiple weapon types is also the best way to get a lot of samurai points to unlock skills.
  • Equipment matters a lot. Nioh has Diablo-style loot, so you want to keep updating your weapons and armor as you go. It makes a big difference.
  • Enemies have ki just like you do, and you can see the meter under their health meters. Making enemies run out of ki while you manage your own through the ki pulse mechanic will make a lot of battles, especially the samurai duel battles, a lot more manageable. Keeping an eye on enemy ki and not letting them regen their ki is really important.

Andrast posted:

Also Spirit builds are really cool

Yeah I really liked Spirit in Nioh. I think I ended up going for a build that focused on katanas, spears, and spirits and had a blast.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 5, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Andrast posted:

Pretty sure most of the stats have (multiple) soft caps. The game also incentivizes using multiple weapons by giving you free samurai points if you do it.

I remember testing stat caps and finding that things scaled pretty steadily the whole way. Maybe I'm misremembering and there's a soft cap somewhere along the way, though.

Either way, there's also no reason to try to limit your leveling in Nioh for multiplayer or anything like that. Combined with amrita and coins being separate resources and leveling stats to do anything you want isn't really a huge deal.

And yes, I forgot about that part with weapons: the game wants you to use multiple weapon types and it's worth doing so even if you don't use them all long-term.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

what's the average level you finish off the game at? that'd help me figure out where i want to put stat points more than anything. perhaps not so shockingly the nioh wiki site is extremely empty and poorly written.

Probably about 80-90ish at the end of the first run? I don't really remember. I ended up in the 200s in NG+ (which I recommend, actually--if I recall correctly, NG+ actually changes some things and has new tiers of gear and stuff).

You can also respec without too much trouble. It costs a gold but towards the end of the game the cost isn't too bad. Though respeccing is also kind of a pain because it unassigns literally every experience point and skill point so you can reassign them, and at endgame that can take a while just to go through the menus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

unlike dark souls, nioh has very little in the way of hard-to-find unique items, NPC's, or LORE so there's not much for wiki-crafters to do

Plus, a lot of the loot is randomized, so there's not a ton of value in exhaustively cataloging it anyway. It's easy enough to find what sets exist for set bonus stuff but other than that it all has random bonuses.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Respawn appears to have taken their studio's name literally

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1093919463697731584

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Which video game stocks do I pour my entire life savings into

EA stock a week ago I guess

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I've figured out that my posting brand is "what if hbomberguy's 80-minute Dark Souls 2 defense video gained sentience and then someone bought it an account for some reason"

Anything you think that implies about my opinions is correct, by the way. Especially the things that contradict each other, those are especially correct.

fake edit: jesus christ this is the worst page snipe of my entire posting career

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

i should probably mention the only hbomber video I've watched is the one where he drags the showrunner of sherlock and dr who

That's the best one really

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

no.

though agent gets industry news early and correct often.

Let's also note that EA has publicly said that they, to quote last week's earnings call, "model Anthem units in the 5 to 6 million unit range" for the quarter. They have blatantly unrealistic expectations for Anthem's performance and it's clear it's being set up to fail.

They also say they have "modest expectations for . . . Anthem live services," whatever that means, but those initial units sold figures are absolutely loving bonkers. It's especially nuts when you consider that many people are going to play Anthem on launch by signing up for Origin Access Premier, paying $15 for a month of the game rather than $60+ for the game itself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Would it have been smarter to make Anthem free to play

Possibly, though it would probably have loot boxes and pay-for-power MTX if it was. As it is, Anthem is not free to play, but (for now) has no loot boxes and only plans to sell skins, emotes, and stuff like that. They also plan on all the content/story updates being free instead of being paid DLC, so... yeah, good luck with that.

I really want the game to succeed because I think the core game is a lot of fun, but it has absolutely everything else working against it, including its own release schedule.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

if people keep getting fooled by Destiny's bullshit they absolutely will buy Anthem, it's not unrealistic for the game to sell lots

One difference is that Anthem has a ton of anti-hype working against it. Public reaction to the demo weekends was really negative and was immediately followed by people assuming, based on a screen shot with no actual dollar prices on it anywhere, that Anthem was going to charge $20 for each cosmetic MTX skin.

I mean, they still might--I'm pretty sure Guild Wars 2 has mount skins they've charged $20 for--but it wasn't a good look right after such a rocky demo.

The Division was a total disaster at launch but there was enough hype going into it that it was Ubisoft's best-selling new IP to date (kinda like Watch_Dogs, actually), and so Ubisoft reinvested in it, improved it, and turned it around quite a bit. Anthem is launching in a state where it's definitely going to need similar treatment, but I'm not convinced EA is going to see the initial sales figures or engagement to convince them it's worth the chance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

As costs go up the number of copies sold in order to make a profit increases as well.

And so does the importance of post-launch monetization.

That's also why an increasing number of third-party single-player games are going open world now. It doesn't seem to make sense on the surface--a huge, detailed open world like in an Assassin's Creed game isn't exactly cheap--but the important thing is "engagement." Specifically, publishers like big open world games that most players never finish because the longer they can keep someone playing, the more likely they are to buy more stuff for that game. That could be microtransactions, or it could be that you never uninstalled or finished the game and so it's easier to get you to come back and buy the DLC/expansion when it comes out. Either way, open world games are the highest-engagement single-player games and that's why they're everywhere.

Almost everything else is either largely a multiplayer game, or a first-party title like God of War that can function similarly to a loss leader for console sales. (It likely didn't actually lose money, but it also was under less pressure to make a giant profit all on its own because it can drive console sales.)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Splatoon does it and doesn't offer micro transactions. If they can do it why can't anybody else.

Same reason God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn could be made without microtransactions: they're first-party console exclusives whose main (commercial) job is to drive console sales. It's a similar concept to loss leaders in retail, though worth noting it's not quite the same because none of those games actually failed to turn a profit. They don't need to make as much money in and of themselves because their job is to get you in the door.

Splatoon 2 doesn't need microtransactions because it probably sold Switches, or contributed to it. Nintendo gets a cut of every single game sold on the Switch. If Splatoon 2 contributed to Hypothetical Consumer buying a Switch, then Nintendo's cut of any Switch games that Hypothetical Consumer buys are sort of serving as Splatoon 2's continued revenue, the way microtransactions do for third-party games. And more of Splatoon 2's revenue is profit for Nintendo, as well, because they don't have to give a cut of it to any platform owners--they are the platform owner.

Because companies like EA and Ubisoft are third parties, they're not getting a cut of sales--instead, they're giving a cut of their sales to platform owners. And they don't get any continued revenue from any source other than the game. Once box sales dry up, that's about it, that's all the money you're getting out of that game. So if you're not making a profit, or enough of a profit, on initial box sales, you make it up somewhere else, and that's where microtransactions and DLC come in.

With a game like Anthem where the developers have said they have no plans for a sequel and want to support and expand the game for years to come, that's even more important, because if they're not selling expansions (something Splatoon 2 actually did), eventually they're going to need to sell something to fund continued development. They're hoping that non-loot box cosmetics are enough. I hope they're right, but I kinda doubt it.

One way to look at it is that if we say we want more games to have Splatoon 2's content and monetization model, what we're really saying is that we want more games to be first-party console exclusives. Honestly I'm not all that convinced that would be a total disaster, but I know a lot of people think of console exclusives as anti-consumer in other ways, so :shrug:

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 8, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

can I say I want more games like Splatoon 2 because they're fun as hell

I mean I'm gonna buy every Splatoon sequel from here until the heat death of the universe so yeah

I just mean that its monetization works because it's a first-party console exclusive and wouldn't necessarily be viable for a similar third-party game.

It is, however, a really loving good game and deserves every bit of praise it gets, including for its really generous free updates.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

From what I've seen, Overwatch-style classes plus squad gameplay that works with complete strangers and without requiring voice

Cowcaster posted:

i plan on never trying it out but i have to say "without requiring voice" definitely piqued my interest

Its ping system is goddamn brilliant, really. I hope everyone making any squad-based game, whether co-op or competitive, is taking notes. Respawn tested Apex Legends for a full month with voice comms off to make sure they could fully communicate as a squad using only the in-game tools.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is "Booyah!" one of the pings

Sadly, not every game can be as perfect as Splatoon

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

because it'd just make a shitload of money, instead of all the money. that's not acceptable.

That's not the case for a game that wants to stick around and be continuously updated long-term, like an MMO or a pseudo-MMO like Anthem. Eventually you have to make more money if you want to keep developing new stuff. You can do that in a few different ways but eventually you gotta make more money or stop developing stuff for the game. Some games sell DLC, which is totally fine. Some have microtransactions, which is less fine but if it means the content DLC is free I'll put up with it. Some have both paid DLC and microtransactions and then throw yearly paid expansions on top, which is fuckin bullshit, Bungie, you charge too loving much for Destiny all the time

(none of this applies to games with yearly sequels like CoD or poo poo like that, or single-player games)

Again, Splatoon 2 and other first-party games can do a ton without microtransactions because a) they're first-party and don't have to give a giant cut of sales to a platform owner, and b) they're console-sellers and work to generate more revenue for the platform owner that developed the game. Splatoon 2 doesn't need microtransactions because its job (commercially-speaking) is to get you to want to own a Nintendo Switch, which then leads to you buying more Switch games, which means Nintendo gets a cut of all of those sales.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 8, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

Like, I dunno, subscription MMOs still exist and do fine, as do MMOs that sell expansions instead. Some even do both.

Well, yeah. The subscription fee is the continued monetization. I didn't mention that because it's harder for those games to gain traction now, and if a game like Anthem or The Division 2 tried to charge a mandatory subscription I think it'd backfire spectacularly on them. So they go for microtransactions and/or paid DLC instead.

I'm cutting Anthem a bit of slack here, too, because Bioware has the restraint to at least try to go with one avenue of monetization only instead of multiple. They're doing cosmetic microtransactions and plan to never sell paid content or story DLC/expansions. If that works out for them, I think that'll be fantastic. I kind of doubt it will, but I hope it does. I only really have a problem with it in games like that if they try to double- or triple-dip like Bungie does with Destiny 2.

Truga posted:

Also, nobody needs to give "a giant cut of sales to platform owner" on pc, and yet most microtransactions happen on pc apparently.

You do if you wanna sell your game on Steam or any other storefront. Valve takes a 30% cut of games sold through Steam and that's not unusually large. Epic's store takes a significantly smaller cut which is one of the reasons they're able to lure in exclusives like Metro Exodus.

But like I edited into my above post, none of this applies to games like Call of Duty, where you're releasing a whole new one with millions of sales every single year and yet still selling season passes and loot boxes. Activision doesn't "need" that money to continue supporting CoD because no one CoD is sticking around and having content developed for it for very long. They just know they can get it. I'm not defending that practice one bit.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 8, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

aren't most subscription based mmo's these days either free to play the first ~20 levels or the base client costs like $15

Often yes. FFXIV, for example, lets you get up to level 35 for free, which is smart because it lets you see all of one class's class quests, try out advanced jobs, and get far enough in the main story to maybe be invested.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

What other MMOs aside from FFXIV and WoW even use subscriptions? Not that I know any other MMOs that are still functional in 2019, but I wonder.

Elder Scrolls Online has an optional subscription, though I'd question how optional it really is--it's the only way to get access to the unlimited crafting material bag which is drat near mandatory for long-term play.

It's technically not a required subscription like WoW and FFXIV, but I really wouldn't want to play more than a couple weeks without it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Okay, but mandatory subscriptions, as in Pay or Don't Play.

I think it's literally just WoW and FFXIV, which I admit is a lot fewer than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

FF14 is nice in that it gives me a 20% cheaper sub option for only having one character.

Yeah, which is extra nice because there are few reasons to have more than one character anyway.