Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like i said in the previous thread, the final Etrian Odyssey comes out next week

the D in DRPG will change meaning to "dire" after EO is retired as a series

e: or 'dearth'. 'deserted'. 'drought'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Id be utterly amazed if it ended up being the last one
I know they said before it can't work on a single screen without compromising the game's primary feature of manual mapping (which would loving suck on the Switch's touchscreen anyway)

but I bet the same core team will do something very similar.. hopefully with the same musical composer

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm sure this isn't true of everyone but I definitely wouldn't have cared if the games auto-mapped, it was basically just busy work.
well they offer auto mapping tools in the more recent stuff, but still for a lot of fans the manual mapping is a core part of the gameplay loop

in persona Q i did it about half on and half off because the dungeon floor sizes got way too huge over time (and encounter frequency was really high as well :/)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

all i've heard about EON is that it's apparently real loving long, which actually might keep me from picking it up
how is that different from any of the other EOs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

no one bought titanfall 2 so now the franchise is battle royaleing into the dumpster

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/01/titanfall-battle-royale-free-to-play-game-release/

quote:

According to YouTube channel TheQuartering, which has over 420,000 subscribers, EA will release a free-to-play Titanfall battle royale game this Monday. Yes, as in three days from now.

The Youtuber cites inside sources that claim the game will be announced this Saturday, tomorrow, and will be released just two days later on Monday. More specifically, word of the game will be broken by numerous content creators and streamers (who have reportedly played the game already) -- such as Shroud and Dr. Disrespect. Then, on Monday, EA will officially reveal the game, and release it into the wild all at once.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MechaSeinfeld posted:

If it's real and it tanks the chances of titanfall 3 I'm quitting video games :mad:
well, i would certainly say tanking is possibly the objective, considering they'd be releasing it THE SAME WEEK AS THEIR OTHER GAME, ANTHEM

e: ea is hot garbage

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 2, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

axelblaze posted:

Holy poo poo this looks insanely awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IpMDh23WP4
it's by the dev of Sexy Brutale and Invisible Hours so it will probably be good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

Watched Babylon 5 pilot today and really liked it but holy hell that CG is dire! I mean it's impressive that it's 1993 I guess but scenes drop frames and some textures aren't even applied properly. And it's a little annoying because the set and costume design is great but instead of going for miniatures they went with a young technology that probably cost a lot of money.
it's probably for the best that the show has no HD remaster because even at its highest budget, the CG is awful and the establishing shots of cities look like pre-rendered backgrounds from a playstation JRPG

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

It's a image of someone talking and then someone else responding to their dialogue
so it's a videogame then

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

In Training posted:

There's plenty of video games that don't do this, it's why everybody loved MGS1.
yeah but most JRPGs do, so it's really not going to be anything FF fans aren't already used to

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The included synths and composition tools seem crazy based on some of the tunes that GB showed in their Dream stream

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is going to be like volition's agents of mayhem, with the same outcome

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Hopefully 2019 is the last year we have to worry about new Battle Royals games.
what's the next trend

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Relax Or DIE posted:

place your bets now!!
saltybet is years old now

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

worst acquisition was Raven Software by Activision because they just became a COD studio instead of being able to make their own games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Enkmar posted:

The game looks really loving uninspired, but this level of concern trolling is somehow even more uninspired
mutata works in gaming and has been hosed over by layoffs before

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i had to click to do combat in DA:O and that's where i stopped playing, so that was about 5 minutes in

its 2019, point and click should be for city builders and adventure games only

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that was the other thing, that it was realtime with pause and it was also slow as gently caress

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i feel like Dead Cells will create some chasers as well, but that's because there already are 200 roguelites that get released every week

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

Is FFXII considered RTWP?
yeah, but I think that's mitigated by having active control over your character

while we're talking jrpgs, i noticed that bravely default is still close to full price but bravely second is $16 on amazon. i haven't played either but i avoided default because of what everyone said about the second half. does bravely second pull anything like that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm basically just buying some poo poo from amazon and seeing what's on sale. i needed to get my cart to a certain amount to ship (otc medication) so I added xenoblade 2 torna, which.. i haven't played the original xeno2 but this is a prequel so i'm not worried about that

i saw yokai watch at $19.. but idk if i wanna bite. i played a demo of it a few years ago and thought the combat was just kinda weird

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

Heads up, while Torna is a prequel its basically cut story content that would have gone in the game at around the 60% mark and as such will make playing the main game story a little weird since the story assumes you dont know these characters or their relationships.

It also is better in every single way from QoL to combat so theres no good reason to ever fire up Xenoblade 2 afterwards.
honestly that sounds like a reason to just not buy xenoblade 2 then and only play torna

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

sir this is a library

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

someday EA's value will drop to the point where they'll be acquired by a larger company and then they'll be the ones having to deal with the possibility of shuttering

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

portal knights is pretty decent

PantsBandit posted:

I for one am glad Respawn gets to try to make something new.

How about instead of crying that it's not Titanfall 3, we give the good developer the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best?

I will be trying it out soon.
that's fine, I'm just getting the same vibes as Agents of Mayhem, the game that was not Saints Row 5 and killed Volition

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember when cliffyb got mad that his crew was leaving to take jobs at epic rather than work on his lovely Fortnite clone, even though he already knew the studio was going to close and everyone was going to lose their jobs

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I feel bad for those who stayed behind, they were laid off and told about it over Twitter and a Kotaku article.
and then CliffyB 'retired' from games because the industry was too "toxic", which, yes it is, but you contributed to the toxicity, rear end in a top hat

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if Nintendo will ever get in on the BR thing or if they're ok just having Fortnite and all the other ones on Switch
fyi you're asking whether Nintendo has the capability of doing an online game where a hundred people battle each other at once

the most players they've ever had in an online game is what, 4v4 with splatoon? it's not their core competency

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

well i pulled the trigger on nioh, now i'm off to grab a beer while it installed as the weather graces us with temperatures above 50 degrees
11 degrees here

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

What's the name of that hand animated Vanillaware looking game about Journey to the West that just came out and literally no one is talking about? Something Heroes of Legend or other generic title.
Unruly Heroes, and it's more like Rayman Legends than Vanillaware because it's by the same devs/artists and they basically recreated the UbiArts style in Unity

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

What game should I play on Valentine’s Day
hatoful boyfriend

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

reading rpgfan reviews

"If there is one point that gives the story redemption, it's the translated dialogue. You can tell that Atlus had fun translating this title, and they didn't even bother being politically correct or even tasteful. Pop culture references such as "milf" made it into the dialogue, and Arabic-looking characters were donned such names as "Sadam Insein." Not necessarily clever, but certainly bold."

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

njsykora posted:

What game is that so I can avoid it and everything that localisation studio does in future.
metal saga for ps2

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm crossreferencing stuff on amazon with rpgfan reviews

they hated shining force neo which was actually a very good game, so im not actually listening to what theyre saying really

the followup (EXA) is $23 via amazon warehouse, and then i went down a rathole of reading ps2/ps3 rpg reviews

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

knowing Square, they'll internally call that a disappointment

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you want to play Monster Hunter but worse in every way with the animest story that ever animed?
arent you describing Monster Hunter Stories

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

mutata posted:

Hahaha, this tweet makes me laugh. Disney can and will say whatever they want about video games because the truth is they simply do not care. Licensing allows them to collect licensing payments and still wield all of the power of refusal and approval. Anyone who works on a Disney video game does so at their own risk.

This isn't just me throwing sour grapes either. No one at the exec level knows enough how to do games correctly nor do they care enough to hire anyone who does know. They've long seen games as an extension of their synergy-based marketing apparatus and not as a form of media or art in and of themselves.

I also highly doubt that they're happy with what EA is doing, but they're also partly to blame for cancelations and they still get paid licensing fees regardless so they probably just don't care there either.
they made a big deal about Iger being mad at the Battlefront microtransactions but the reality is he probably was only mad that they didn't do a good enough job of sneaking it in

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

C-Euro posted:

We live in a world where Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse exists, so I question this headline.

E: actually that's a good chat thread flash poll- what is the best video game based solely on Disney IP? They have to have owned the IP when the game came out so no old Star Wars games.
Quackshot

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

I'm thinking of teaching myself video editing by making a longform Youtube critique of precisely why EA's approach to Star Wars games have gone so poorly
make sure the thumbnail has you crossing your arms making a serious face with big outlined text saying "EA STILL $UX??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

samus arin hanson