Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

I hadn't thought to check! Looks like a big nope on that.

Edit: Truck hunt weekend has been a total bust. I've been looking exclusively at "small" trucks but I' about to widen my search to older full size trucks like an F-150 or something as those are fuckin everywhere.

A mid 90’s Lightning would fit the bill perfectly. Particularly one with rad decals on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They've doubled in price since I sold mine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

meatpimp posted:

Guys. Guys... Hey guys... I don't know how long this has been in place, but Amazon has free global express shipping from other countries, including Germany.

That means cheap Wera, Wiha, etc. as long as you have Prime and a credit card with no international transaction fee.

It HAS to be sold by amazon de and it HAS to show "Choose Amazon Global Priority Shipping at checkout. "

For example: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000Y8Y31K is $33 delivered from Germany

and https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Univers...era+05056440001 is $43 + tax from Amazon US.
That's good to know, I've been snagging Wera stuff when it goes on sale but this'll empy my wallet quicker and possibly a little cheaper.

Another test day at the local kart in-progress track. Locost was great then I threw on the slicks and it was even better. Sadly I forgot the slicks lower it by over an inch and took out the oil pan loading it back on the trailer :doh:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Rhyno posted:

I hadn't thought to check! Looks like a big nope on that.

Edit: Truck hunt weekend has been a total bust. I've been looking exclusively at "small" trucks but I' about to widen my search to older full size trucks like an F-150 or something as those are fuckin everywhere.

Avoid the 5.4 3v. Cheap for a reason. I almost picked up an 06 lariat crew 4x4 for $1500 but after looking at the cost of replacing the engine and the fact its 24 hours book time I decided against it. They have lots of problems with oil sludge and cam phasers.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

As follow up to last month's mystery post of "what's in my engine?" The curly bent up pieces were definitely the valve stem. Post mortem:

Valve spring is broken, valve broken off at the third retaining groove, nice clean break. One or the other broke after a full throttle pull to redline and failed the other and then the whole deal. But the car is now fixed and runs good.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I wish it would snow in my state so I could do some donuts :(

Also I'm in Atlanta and the superbowl is happening tomorrow. I honestly have a feeling like something bad is gonna happen at the superbowl (in general in the city tomorrow) so I'm gonna work from home.

I know that a few of you guys live down here and just wanted to point your attention to this.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/atlanta-wastes-23m-on-pedestrian-bridge-for-super-bowl-that-will-be-closed-for-fans-on-sunday-amid-security-risks

(fox news I know I know but this is not a political post they just closed this super expensive walkway the city paid 10 million to rush progress on)

It's very embarrassing is all I'm saying.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
$23M, jesus christ. And $10M to speed it up because they thought it might not be done in time ... and now that it's done, they're not using it. Well done.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

To be fair, half the cool stuff in Atlanta was built for the Olympics. In the long run, it doesn't matter that they paid extra for the bridge and then won't use it day-of. It'll be useful for decades to come.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

meatpimp posted:

Guys. Guys... Hey guys... I don't know how long this has been in place, but Amazon has free global express shipping from other countries, including Germany.

That means cheap Wera, Wiha, etc. as long as you have Prime and a credit card with no international transaction fee.

It HAS to be sold by amazon de and it HAS to show "Choose Amazon Global Priority Shipping at checkout. "

For example: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B000Y8Y31K is $33 delivered from Germany

and https://www.amazon.com/Wera-Univers...era+05056440001 is $43 + tax from Amazon US.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B002L6HJAA/ref=psdc_2039472051_t1_B0759KDDSP

Yessssssss

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
:frogsiren:

Considering AI is a veritable hub of culture, we have a few threads visiting from GiP and BYOB. Please make them feel welcome!

Marine Thread

BYOB Road Trip

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Maaaaaaaate :australia:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rhyno posted:

Speaking of Rhyno drama,

Friend with tumblr focused daughter is a drunken mess as his kid has run away to loving Canada.

Glad I was wrong about my weird theory that unreasonably snooping all over people's poo poo (even if you're a kidhaver and think you own your driving-age children) definitely makes them want to share more with you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
His daughter is safe and okay, she just ran off to live with friends I guess. He's taking it hard though, like it's his fault she ran off.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

It hasnt rained for a month... let alone anything CLOSE to resembling snow.

You know you could probably import a diesel twin cab hilux from Australia Rhyno....

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
I can't imagine how much harder the Bathurst 12 hour is this year due to the heat sweeping Australia. At least it's been a fun watch so far.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pr0craztinazn posted:

I can't imagine how much harder the Bathurst 12 hour is this year due to the heat sweeping Australia. At least it's been a fun watch so far.

They're only 8 laps off the record distance with over an hour left, too.

It's too hot to gently caress up.

Also, those bentley rears look super mustangish with the paint on the back.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

pr0craztinazn posted:

It's actually average temps at Bathurst right now. 32-33C really inst too bad.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Saturd #2 (aka Negative Ions) is finally getting transferred to my name.

Well, once it can pass a state inspection. It throws a random CEL over MAP performance (it's been through 3 MAPs, 1 MAF, a throttle body, and an entire intake tube thing so far), but all of the MAPs have been junkyard. The MAF was "brand new OEM" from Rockauto (but looks very used). But it still throws the same code just as often. So I need to track down a vacuum leak. At this point I'm probably just going to R&R everything from the front of the car to the intake ports, because this poo poo is getting old.

What finally caused the "finally getting transferred" poo poo? If it's not in "my name or a spouse's name", according to Turbotax, I lose out on a $17,000 tax deduction, which has me REALLY loving SALTY. Also, GF turned pretty pale when I told her "so you do remember I use this car for commercial work, and if I get in an accident, you'll be the first to get sued, right? Even though I carry commercial insurance? Since you're the registered owner?". The original plan was she'd keep it in her name until I finished paying her, instead of her just getting listed as a lienholder.

FWIW, we switched to using my own router (a very nice TP-Link 2.4/5GHz router) vs the Spectrum-supplied router (they gave us a separate modem and router instead of the typical ISP-supplied modem/router combo), and I've had the Spectrum router sitting next to the front door for 5 months. She won't get off her rear end and return it. I finally got the account number out of her a few hours ago, so I can finally return the loving thing at a customer service center. Hopefully.

Humphreys posted:

So doggo is going to a good night.

:glomp:

He's already chasing all of the tennis balls, all day, every day. You did the right thing.

I wish I'd made the same decision a lot sooner with my last cat. We kept him kicking for nearly 3 months longer than he should have been, and he was loving miserable. :smith:

rdb posted:

Avoid the 5.4 3v. Cheap for a reason. I almost picked up an 06 lariat crew 4x4 for $1500 but after looking at the cost of replacing the engine and the fact its 24 hours book time I decided against it. They have lots of problems with oil sludge and cam phasers.

Stepdad has an 01 with the 5.4, I assume a 3V? Not sure if it has cam phasers, but it's already been through 3 or 4 transmissions (before 140k - the original made it to about 130k, the rest have all been an every few months things, since AAMCO), plus the usual intake manifold issue. When he asked me to help him with spark plugs with it I laughed in his face (mostly because the last time I asked him for help - to push my car when a CV joint broke backing out of the driveway, just wanted to get it out of the alley, he cussed me out and went back inside). I didn't want to get blamed if a plug broke off.

meatpimp posted:

How in the gently caress do you find these people? I had the keys to my neighbor's house and new people moved in. I went over there with the key... and gave it loving back, because it was their house now and they never gave me a key!

Isn't it kind of assumed that you're gonna rekey the whole place after moving in? :stare: Even if you don't, locks are cheap unless you go with something like Medeco.

Rhyno posted:

I just assume everyone is on meth in this town. She's a "hip"old lady, she has the Facebooks! And she spends a lot of time posting on the association page complaining about people's trash cans and the squirrel population.

Oh, you found my stepmom's father. The loving president of the HOA... that my dad and stepmom live in (they literally built a house across the street after my dad and stepmom bought a house - the original developer went bankrupt after building 5 or 6 houses in the early 80s, someone else finally finished the street in the 00s).

The one who stomped up to my dad's door when I was visiting and asked if dad wanted "that piece of poo poo Saturn in front of your house towed" a few hours after I showed up for a week-long visit (the HOA rules don't mention anything about street parking, and there's no signage preventing street parking).

Me: FIRST OF ALL <stepmom's father's name>, that Saturn is 3 years newer than the beat to poo poo Lexus you're driving, and doesn't have a single dent or scratch on it (despite having more miles)... while your RX300 is beat to poo poo from ramming the garage door, neighbor's cars, the HOA gate, your wife's car, etc constantly." He brought this up in front of me. "<stepmom's father's name>, that's my piece of poo poo Saturn, which happens to be several years newer than that RX300 you're driving... and I can't help but notice that 2 of the 4 doors on your Lexus are caved in, the bumper is held on by duct tape, and one of the fenders is bashed in."

"Oh, no, uh. No. no. Not .... not.. not THAT Saturn, I meant another one down the street! And that's not my Lexus.. I don't know who that belongs to. I'll get it towed, it looks like a broken down piece of poo poo"

Me: "... the entire loving street has 14 houses, and only 6 were built before 2000. There's only one Saturn. It's the only economy car parked outside of a garage in the entire HOA (2 streets). :fuckoff: If you have a problem with my car, just tell me right now, and I'll find somewhere to park it outside of the HOA, and I'll send you a bill for the taxis and parking fees. There's nothing in the HOA rules stating I cannot park my car - newer than your beat to poo poo Lexus - out here. :colbert:. And I saw that Lexus in your driveway an hour ago."

Dad: <laughing so hard he's almost puking, because he knows my stepmom would beat the poo poo out of him if he mouthed off to her dad like that, also knowing I have no filter when it comes to assholes, and I'd also familiarized myself with the HOA rulebook before visiting exactly for this moment>
<stepmom's 90+ year old father>: <rage face, bright purple, gritting his teeth, but trying to appear nice> Hey STR, why don't we go out to lunch tomorrow? I'm buying!
Me: SURE! I'm always up for a free lunch.

So we did lunch. It was a great lunch, I had a margarita and one of the most expensive plates. And he tipped $1 on a $50 ticket. I'm really glad I took cash with me that day (very rare for me, I never carry cash); the best part is a distant family member of his (nephew, I think?) owns the restaurant (and has for over 40 years). When I mentioned the tip to my dad, he just sighed and told me "yeah... always take a bunch of singles and 5s with you if you eat with him, at least $20-30, he never tips over $1. Anywhere." He also didn't break ~25 mph on a 55 mph road the entire way home, and kept kissing curbs. :stare: It takes a lot to get me white knuckled in a car. He managed it.

When I was out there for Thanksgiving last year (the previous stories happened 4 or 5 years ago during my last visit), he walked up and introduced himself to me as if he'd never met me. He's known me for over 20 years. :stare: I guess the long hair threw him off, since he's never seen me with long hair? gently caress if I know. I walked up to him and said "Hey <name>, good to see you, long time no see!", and he shook my hand and said "Hi, I'm <name>, nice to meet you!".

tl;dr gently caress HOAs, but it's really fun when a (only by marriage) family member is the president and you get to gently caress with him on levels that anyone living in the HOA can't. Pretty sure he's got a slight case of the dementia now (kinda expected at mid-90s), so I won't gently caress with him maliciously at this point (it runs in both sides of my family, I've experienced it first hand with grandparents), but he was a massive rear end in a top hat about my car last time I drove down there.. simply because it wasn't the typical Lexus/Mercedes/Cadillac/BMW you normally see in their neighborhood (for that matter, it was newer than at least half of the cars in the HOA). Dad was driving a brand new Lexus, stepmom driving a newish Lexus SUV. Now dad drives a brand new higher end Camry (he can't justify the extra expense for a Lexus when a loaded Camry is a drat nice car today, Toyota gave him better financing than what Lexus would offer, and the 4 cylinder has more power than what his ES300 years ago had; this is the cheapest car I've ever seen him in), stepmom drives a ~15 year old Escalade. :haw:

I think her dad is still in the same beat to poo poo early 00s Lexus RX300 that he bought new.

[/ramble]

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 3, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna run for the board and have speed bumps installed on our street.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

And so it begins.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If you do this and it's a really hilly road, you're a loving dick.

Especially if they're at the crest of a hill with a stop sign (particularly only on the uphill side). :argh: I run into this so many times a day, and I cringe every time I have to pull away from those stops, because I know my clutch is getting about 500 miles of wear on it from having to leave a dead stop (a) going uphill (b) going over a speed bump (c) it's a loving steep hill.

I'm really glad it looks like someone did a clutch job on my POS at some point. I have no proof of this, except it looks like all of the bellhousing bolts had a lot of ugga duggas shoved into them (they're all almost rounded off). So there's a good chance I'm on a fairly new clutch on this car (haven't pulled the inspection cover tho). The Carfax history shows regular 3k oil changes at quick lube places through most of its life, and a couple of dealer trips (plus another goon that works for a GM dealer dug up some stuff done under warranty for me - including a blown head gasket about 800 miles out of warranty that covered by a GM extended warranty :sigh: - the L61 is pretty durable, they don't pop a head gasket unless you're really trying to gently caress up the engine).

I'm gonna start looking for something with 3 pedals that's known to be reliable and generic as gently caress later this year now that my credit has come up a bit, preferably with a timing chain, most preferably <5 years old. Of all things, the VW Jetta has popped up on my list; the 2.5 base is dirt cheap, doesn't hold its value well, and even the base model has everything I want outside of a sunroof. And roughly the same power/weight ratio I have now, with slightly better gearing. I know they're basketcases (electrically) once they age a bit, but mechanically they seem.... decent? When I worked at The Whole, I drove a friend's 2010 bare bones base model a few times right after he bought it new, and it was a surprisingly nice car to drive. I know I'd have to buy some tools to do a brake job (seems they love Torx)...

I'd also consider some GM stuff, but I really prefer a manual. The only GM mid or full size in ages with a manual is a Pontiac G8 or the Chevy SS, AFAIK. Both are fun as gently caress, both have plenty of space, but neither would be practical for the miles I drive. The only thing they really offer that I'd like is the Cobalt (LT or above, that turbo is kinda nice), but you get a timing belt and a turbo to care for with those unless you opt for the LS. LS still has the timing belt, just less power, more thirsty, and no turbo. I need something that can manage at least 30 mpg highway. :sigh: They did offer a diesel for 1 or 2 model years, but only available in LTZ trim (so EVERY-loving-OPTION.. leather, automatic, etc). The Prius was very high up on my list, but friends that are long term Prius owners have steered me away - they've all been bitten by the $2500+ master cylinder/brake accumulator/ABS controller/anything loving related to brakes module failing. One friend that's owned 3 Priii <sp> told me to keep at least $5k in savings for repairs; he said they don't break often, but when they do, it's expensive. He owns a 2006 Prius, 2017 Prius, and 2016 Camry - the 06 has >300k, and he sold it to a mutual friend (I almost bought it from said mutual friend, but friend told me "no, it's a loving basketcase, you don't want it" - and he was right, the friend who bought it from him sold it for $1500 after dropping $3k into it). The 17 has almost 100k already (hail damage model that he got about $10k off on). The Camry belongs to his wife (replacing the ~1986 Volvo 240 she used to drive :laffo:).

fake edit and tl;dr, I'm gonna start looking at compact and midsize sedans with 3 pedals and a dong sticking out of the floor soon. With the hills in the west side of town, and how much city driving I do, I don't trust automatics to last too long.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Feb 3, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mazda 3. :haw:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mazda6 wagon.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Elmnt80 posted:

Mazda 3. :haw:

Reportedly the next generation has an AWD option. Don't know if it can still have a stick with that, though. Get me a MS3 in AWD and I might stray from Subaru.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So my big boy cat came limping up to me tonight. He’s not putting weight on his RH front paw, but he’ll let me squeeze it and his leg without protest. Tho put ANY pressure on the tendon that goes down to his elbow and he’ll let you know it’s tender.

Gotta wait it out and see how he’s doing in the morning before deciding on whether to go to the vets or not. Last leg related trip to the vets with this cat was $1500 in bills and 8 weeks of a cat crying it’s lungs out in a cage while a broken leg healed. Hopefully it’s not that again

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Mazda6 wagon.

He said he wanted good on gas. The 6 wagon is not that.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 3, 2019

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

gently caress speed bumps.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

He said he wanted good on gas. The 6 wagon is not that.

Missed that bit. I've been trying to convince myself a 6 wagon would he a better option over a small truck or a Cherokee.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Wagon all the way. The best part about wagons is that you can use it like a truck, but when you don't, it's no longer a truck. Trucks are always trucks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I use our HHR like a truck all the time and have blown out the rear shocks twice :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

STR posted:

If you do this and it's a really hilly road, you're a loving dick.

The best part about speed bumps on a ramp is when it gets icy and you can watch people skate right over them backwards and get some air.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

angryrobots posted:

gently caress speed bumps.

This. I live in a residential non-HOA neighborhood and some dickwad that was previously an HOA something or other moved in a few blocks away. Anyway, dude decided his street needed a couple speed bumps, because of course they were the people that put children playing signs on city streets, and took it upon himself to install them without asking anybody/consulting local enforcement. Needless to say people banded together... and not in the way that guy was hoping for. Also, stupid kids at play signs were never put up again. I suppose that’s what happens when millennials move into a neighborhood comprised of +75% elderly. That and you can get away with having parties that go late into the evening because everybody around you has terrible hearing. Side note, my elderly neighbor that recently passed away was the poo poo. She used to invite us to happy hour with her friends after work and such. Man, she was cool.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Im going to come over and do donuts on your driveway at 3am with Kranky and burn your backyard down

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey as soon as this motherfucker stops blasting through the neighborhood at 50mph in a 30 I will quit wanting bumps.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Hey as soon as this motherfucker stops blasting through the neighborhood at 50mph in a 30 I will quit wanting bumps.

Then call the cops and get them to speed trap the road.

GG, only ginormous assholes want speedbumps

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Rhyno posted:

Speed activated spike strips.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

GG, only ginormous assholes want speedbumps

I thought you said you were against speedbumps

mewse
May 2, 2006

By speed trap I presume he means photo radar or cop+radar

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As someone in a similar situation (except instead of one guy doing 50 in a 30 it's easily 80% of the driving public doing 55+ in a 25, on a road that probably sees a few hundred cars pass daily) this only works if the local police department has manpower to spare every time someone calls to complain about speeders.

My city doesn't have manpower to spare to do regular speed enforcement on the interstates that pass through it, so any attempt to complain results in "thanks, we'll pass it along" with nothing ever being done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

In New Orleans for work. The Alamo Manager's Special was a Toyota Tacoma (base model, probably). It's a fun truck. Powerful enough for normal use, but it's never going to haul rear end. Give it any kind of gas and the transmission gets all flustered for a second trying to figure out if it should downshift or keep on twiddling its thumbs, and it barely accelerates any harder than absolutely necessary.

Speaking of thumbs, I'm sitting on mine until a ship gets here. The best guess as of right now is tomorrow evening. Might be able to get on tomorrow night to do what I need to do, or might be able to get on Tuesday afternoon (which is annoying, because my wife and I are heading to Vermont on Wednesday). Fortunately, it's a quick job. Some of my coworkers started installing some equipment, but they didn't get to finish. I just have to button it all up, test everything, and update some software.