Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

As follow up to last month's mystery post of "what's in my engine?" The curly bent up pieces were definitely the valve stem. Post mortem:

Valve spring is broken, valve broken off at the third retaining groove, nice clean break. One or the other broke after a full throttle pull to redline and failed the other and then the whole deal. But the car is now fixed and runs good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Wagon all the way. The best part about wagons is that you can use it like a truck, but when you don't, it's no longer a truck. Trucks are always trucks.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I suppose this is a good time to repost my dad's restored 1967 (iirc):

Yeah pat your dad on the back for us.

Unrelated whiny topic: What do you do with a car that you have $18k in that's worth around $9k if you sold it? I basically got hosed by the PO and I'm frustrated. Do I just drive it and hope nothing else goes wrong or do I cut my losses and pass the future repairs on to someone else?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I do the Amazon Smile thing where it donates a little of every purchase to a charity, right now it's set up to go to my daughter's high school extracurricular fund but I've been wondering what to switch to after she graduates. Now I know.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Well, I've had contacts for 30 years with a correction in the -3 range. Within the past year I think I experienced what she said would happen. All of a sudden I noticed that I could not focus on really small print without a large amount of light. I used to pride myself on being able to read microprint on money and such, and now I need to work at reading the small print on some food packaging.

:same:

I once read the lettering off of a 1mm x 1.5mm surface mount resistor and impressed the hell out of all my coworkers. Now I can't even read a text message on my cell phone without holding it at arms length and taking off my glasses. Started exactly at age 45.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Hrm, Colorado fucks with the Meteorologists as usual. They predicted less than an inch of snow, Colorado dropped FIVE in like 2 hours. Time to make the donuts.

Let's see... decisions, decisions....

The blue does look awfully pretty against the white...

But we need the one without traction control (the one I'd rather not crash less than 500 miles after getting it running again).

It's a little late in the morning, 9:30 AM, gently caress everything's plowed already! God drat mountain man work ethics. Let's check this one church out by the hills....

Oh baby. Virgin at a church, who would've guessed?

It's okay baby, I'll be gentle. It'll be fun, you'll see.

Forward

Put my thing down, flip it and reverse it.

And I added audio to this one, turn it down if you're at work, turn it up if you can. Credit goes to bajaja for the concept.

Just a little too SLOW.

I will do the R next time, I promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

Safety gear? I've got a mesh cutoff shirt on, mom, also my tight knee-length hawaiian shorts, checkerboard Vans with no socks, and some "Nike" wristbands. I'll be fine

<does a backflip over a homemade dirt bike jump on a 1989 Haro GT>

update: it was an '85 but I had blue grips and a green seat

Tuff wheels were the best. I treated mine bad. One cracked after like 6 years. Me at age 15: