Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hijacking a two year old effort post lmbo.

Yahoo! opened up today yesterday so fantasy baseball is officially back.

Dingers, baby!

Put your keeper questions, sleeper questions, jeepers and creepers questions. They all go here. If you ask a question, you better put your league settings or else it'll probably get ignored.

News/Advice Stolen word for word from Last Year's OP was, "Draft Mookie" genius
Razzball - I typically draft using Grey's rankings, and I actually pay money for access to their Stream-O-Nator and HitterTron tools. Grey's daily summary posts are the first thing I read each morning during the season. In my opinion, this is the best fantasy baseball site out there.
FantasyAlarm - Ray Flowers gives very good advice and his rankings are typically solid. Can also follow him on Twitter @BaseballGuys, where he is very active during the season.
FanGraphs - The site you should all be using for your baseball stats. Lots of good articles as well, and the host of Ottoneu (see below.)
Rotoworld - General injury/transaction news geared towards fantasy players.
FantasyPros - Fantasy rankings aggregator (Spoeank Note: They are branching out into writing too, some good stuff there).
Ottoneu - I started playing Ottoneu last year and I love it. It's 12 team, 40 player MLB/MiLB dynasty with a $400 salary cap. If you are interested in doing a $50 FanGraphs Points startup league, let me know and I might start a goon league with enough interested parties.
Pitcher List - Amazing pitcher info, amazing pitcher .gifs.

Good Podcasts That Will Make You Smarter
CBS Fantasy Baseball Today
ESPN Fantasy Focus (not that dumbfuck Matt Berry anymore)
Flags Fly Forever (Baseball Prospectus)
Sleeper and the Bust (Fangraphs)
MLB.com Fantasy 411 is technically good but I boycott it because they're no Cory Schwartz or Mike Schiano

GOOD AND COOL AND FUN STATISTICS YOU SHOULD USE
BABIP - Measures good or bad luck. League average is somewhere near .300, but different batting profiles can sustain higher or lower BABIP. Look to a player's career average. Look for high pitcher BABIP and low batter BABIP for sleepers, basically.
K-BB% (pitchers)- combines K% and BB%, which are better than K/9 and BB/9 for various reasons, and makes them into one number.
LOB% (pitchers) - A high LOB% with a low K% probably means the pitcher got really lucky and may be due for ERA regression.
Hard% in conjunction with ISO (hitters) - they have a strong enough correlation, and if someone has a good Hard% but a bad ISO, that could be bad luck (WELINGTON CASTILLO I'M LOOKIN AT YOU)
WRC+ (hitters) - easy to sort by to start from to figure out who is really good. It's a decent enough short hand.

I the guy I stole this from writes an article every year about pitchers looking at BABIP, K-BB% and unusually high ERAs. Last year I he predicted Rick Porcello, American Fuckin' League Cy Fuckin' Young Winner, would have a good year.
But then again I he said the same thing about Ian Kennedy so what the gently caress do I he know.

Here's the article for this year: http://theinscribermag.com/fantasy-...ced-statistics/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

gently caress pitching. Especially that pitcher you like, he sucks and is gonna get shelled this year.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

So I've been out of fantasy baseball since 2015 and really have barely watched baseball period in a few years though I do keep up with news, watch highlights, read about prospects, etc. A buddy is getting into a new dynasty league with some local people and asked me to co-manage with him.

For you dynasty guys, other than draft rankings, etc, what kinds of strategies do you shoot for? Go for it in year 1? Look for 2-3 years down the road? Little bit of both?

I'm doing a bunch of research and feeling very lost at the moment.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Mookie is really good. Draft him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Combo posted:

So I've been out of fantasy baseball since 2015 and really have barely watched baseball period in a few years though I do keep up with news, watch highlights, read about prospects, etc. A buddy is getting into a new dynasty league with some local people and asked me to co-manage with him.

For you dynasty guys, other than draft rankings, etc, what kinds of strategies do you shoot for? Go for it in year 1? Look for 2-3 years down the road? Little bit of both?

I'm doing a bunch of research and feeling very lost at the moment.

Don't stream against the Twins :v:

Also, never do a little bit of both. That way lies always finishing middle of the pack. Pick one and commit, because there will always be people doing the other.

I actually find going for it to be more successful, especially on league startup, because so many people go into ASSETS fever. Just remember, Flags Fly Forever.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 4, 2019

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Draft Adalberto Mondesi.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The Sunday night game is going to start at 7 instead of 8 now. That makes a big difference for H2H.

https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/sunday-night-baseball-espn-7pm-start.html

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Don't stream against the Twins :v:

Also, never do a little bit of both. That way lies always finishing middle of the pack. Pick one and commit, because there will always be people doing the other.

I actually find going for it to be more successful, especially on league startup, because so many people go into ASSETS fever. Just remember, Flags Fly Forever.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking too.

Its 25 man rosters and then 5 NA slots, so prospects are going to have not a huge impact in my opinion. Certainly important but not the most important thing. My buddy is trying to go all in on that, and I feel like we're better off getting talented youth that's already in the league, filling it out with some low risk veterans, and then doing the best we can on prospects after that.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not sure what country theme I'm going with this season in HGH and Centaur Paintings. Thinking maybe the Dominican Republic but every team will just be a car accident joke.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Drafted my first team of the season yesterday, here it is:

12 team H2H 5x5 yahoo

I don't usually let my Cardinals bias show so much.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 5, 2019

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Rand alPaul posted:

Draft Adalberto Mondesi.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Very happy to have my stolen and updated effort post stolen and updated.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Very happy to have my stolen and updated effort post stolen and updated.

It's in the best shape of its life

Am I the only one here not drafting Mondesi? (where he's ranked at least) Not that I don't believe he will perform, but he has a Jonathan Villar 2017 vibe to me. I'm sure the underlying stats aren't as bad, but I guess I'm letting someone else gamble.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Murderball posted:

It's in the best shape of its life

Am I the only one here not drafting Mondesi? (where he's ranked at least) Not that I don't believe he will perform, but he has a Jonathan Villar 2017 vibe to me. I'm sure the underlying stats aren't as bad, but I guess I'm letting someone else gamble.

I've drafted Villar and Buxton in previous seasons and I don't learn from my mistakes.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'm all about balance this year. I still only play roto and there are only so many hitter starts and IP you can use up. No sense in overdoing it in one category or another.
First team:

12 team standard

C: Yadier Molina
1B: Joey Votto
2B: Robinson Cano
3B: Josh Donaldson
SS: Jose Peraza
OF: Whit Merrifield, Eddie Rosario, Tommy Pham
UT: Nick Markakis, Jesse Winker
BN: Willy Adames

SP: Max Scherzer, Corey Kluber, Blake Snell, Rich Hill, Dereck Rodriguez, Trevor Williams
RP: Sean Doolittle, David Robertson, Corey Knebel, Alex Colome, Will Smith, Chad Green

A little light on the hitting, but should carry the pitching categories at least

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
What am I supposed to do with this keeper I have named Manny Machado?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jingleheimer posted:

What am I supposed to do with this keeper I have named Manny Machado?

I have Machado and Harper in multiple leagues. :qq:

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

they'll be hitting in CBP so that's good

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

you want:

luke voit
adalberto mondesi
conforto
merrill kelly
heaney
mazara

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Just drafted team #2.... dunno how I feel about this one. The pitching leaves a bit to be desired.

12 team h2h 5x5

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you were in the fire and forget league last year I reupped it so please tell me in post in the league home if you want to play again or want out so I can refill it and set a draft time.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

out, thanks

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
What's the outlook on Pablo Sandoval this year?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

He casts a long shadow

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Murderball posted:

He casts a long shadow

more wide than long, really

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Fleetwood posted:

What's the outlook on Pablo Sandoval this year?

Hes a big fat boy who is a backup for Brandon Belt and Evan Longoria. He'll get like 300 PA (a PA per pound)

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Oh, I forgot that Longoria is with SF now. lol that Boston is paying Panda to deplete another team's craft services tho

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

If you own Sandoval you are probably in last place.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Team 2 of the year, in a *shudder* H2H league

C: Yadier Molina
1B: Justin Smoak
2B: Robinson Cano
3B: Mike Moustakas
SS: Jean Segura
OF: Mike Trout, Tommy Pham, David Dahl
UT: Jesse Winker, Nick Markakis
BN: Yuli Gurriel, Didi Gregorius

SP: Corey Kluber, Justin Verlander, Carlos Carrasco, Jameson Tailon, Kyle Hendricks, Andrew Heaney, Trevor Williams
RP: Jose Leclerc, David Robertson, Will Smith, Ryan Brasier

Some real discount options as far as offense goes. I was hoping someone would get scared off by Francisco Lindor's injury so I could get him at pick 24, but he went at #23

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Rand alPaul posted:

Not sure what country theme I'm going with this season in HGH and Centaur Paintings. Thinking maybe the Dominican Republic but every team will just be a car accident joke.

I just saw that JRam only played 17 games at 2B last year, so ESPN took away his 2B eligibility. Looks like I'm gonna try starting a million 3B again this year!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

If you were in the fire and forget league last year I reupped it so please tell me in post in the league home if you want to play again or want out so I can refill it and set a draft time.

I am out, I'm still burnt out on fantasy from last year so I'm just doing 1 league and nothing else this year probably.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

league settings:

$225
6×6: r, hr, rbi, sb, obp, slg | w, qs, sv, k, era, whip
espn
faab that settles on monday, thursday, and saturday

and with those settings, keep up to 6:

acuna 10
betts 50
bregman 24
bryant 50
buxton 5
cabrera 5
cain 13
heaney 5
hicks 5
iglesias 11
jansen 17
leclerc 5
mazara 5
mondesi 5
nimmo 5
pivetta 5
tucker 5
villar 5
voit 5
yates 5

acuna is a no-brainer, so 5 left.

mondesi’s upside is tremendous, so i feel this is close to a no-brainer as well, so 4 left.

now it gets interesting. betts is obviously the big name here. we all know the skillset is top 2 or 3. if he gives 650pa, he’ll be worth it. but that’s a tough ask from him. he’s always a little banged up, it seems. and even in the best case where he gives 650pa, does he really offer a profit when his cost is $50? then again, the talent is just so immense.

and that’s not even mentioning the team-building aspect. i’m already keeping acuna and mondesi. acuna strikes me as something of a mini-betts. possibly too flush with speed in these three? might be better to spend some of the $50 on two elite, non-speedy hitters?

i’m pretty torn.

and then there’s bregman at $24. i have to say, that’s an attractive price. i’m inclined to throw him back to the pool, even though he’ll go for more. reason being–bryant will be available (no way am i keeping him). and i think bryant is the better hitter and can be had for less. bryant will also certainly be cheaper to keep next season. maybe i’m being too speculative here and i should go with bregman?

the rest are, for the most part, just high-upside players. cain, i really don’t see keeping at $13. seems more like a great trade chip that i should employ before the draft. jansen at $17 is tempting, and he’s one of the bonafides at a position that is rapidly disappearing. i could certainly see keeping him. then again, yates at $5 is obviously more attractive from an expenses standpoint, but does he last past the trade deadline? i lean so, as i do think the padres will contend this season.

in any case, i’ve come to three possible groups in my head:

a: betts, acuna, mondesi, voit, cabrera, buxton – $80
b: acuna, mondesi, voit, cabrera, buxton, yates – $35
c: betts, bregman, acuna, mondesi, jansen, pivetta – $111

these are just the ones i’ve thought through. group a seems solid with decent upside. group b seems lacking with foundation, but loaded with upside. group c completely disregards cash.

but yea, those are the three i’ve come to. curious if you all can make a case for another group, or eliminate the groups i’ve come to.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

IcePhoenix posted:

I would like to remember to draft more than my last 5 picks this year so count me in.

I'm finishing up a 20 person, 40 man roster $360 budget auction league right now. Roto 6x6 scoring (OPS, HLD extra),min 1040 IP. People went loving nuts spending the first few rounds so I had to go along with it. I loved seeing the people with no restraint spend $260+ on 5 players, and now struggling to fill their active slots with hitters that will actually get more than 150 PAs. My primary strategy was to get well rounded hitters, use relievers that pitch 60+ innings to win ratios/saves/holds, and not overpay for wins or steals.

C - Beef Welington - $2
1B - Rizzo - $50
2B - Cesar Hernandez - $11
3B - Travis Shaw - $22
SS - Trevor Story - $50
OF1 - Rhys Hoskins - $45
OF2 - Andrew McCutcheon - $17
OF3 - Ryan Braun - $11
OF4 - Ian Happ - $5
OF5 - Scott Schebler - $4
CI - Ryan McMahon - $4
MI - Elvis Andrus - $8
Ut - Roman Quinn - $1
Bench - Ji-Man Choi - $1
Bench - Clint Frazier - $2
Bench - Brandon Lowe - $1
Bench - David Fletcher - $1
Bench - Nolan Gorman - $2
Bench - Jazz Chisholm - $1
Bench - Travis Swaggerty - $1

P - Andrew Miller - $16
P - Felipe Vazquez - $14
P - Sean Doolittle - $10
P - Jeurys Familia - $4
P - Taylor Rogers - $3
P - Seth Lugo - $4
P - Jesse Chavez - $1
P - Lou Trivino - $1
P - Reyes Moronta - $1
P - Yu Darvish - $21
Bench - Luis Castillo - $19
Bench - Tyler Glasnow - $8
Bench - Joey Lucchesi - $8
Bench - Brent Honeywell - $5
Bench - Jerad Eickhoff - $1
Bench - Shelby Miller - $1
Bench - Eric Lauer - $1
Bench - Dustin May - $1
Bench - Jon Duplantier - $1
Bench - Jose Suarez - $1

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Offers are starting to roll in for the top waiver I have in my dynasty lite league. That waiver is earmarked for Vlad Jr.

I was offered Yelich, Lindor or Story. It’s wild the reigning MVP can be had for a rookie.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Bad trade season is already underway.

Kluber, Heaney, Gregorius for Lindor, Gausman, Adames? Seems fair to me.

What's the counter offer? Felipe Vazquez, Lowrie, Adames for Kluber, Gregorius, and Brasier

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I'm trying to get my annual Goon league back up but I can't figure out how to re invite everyone from last year on my Yahoo Sports Android app.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

If there's an open spot in a H2H goon league, I'd like to join!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

If there's an open spot in a H2H goon league, I'd like to join!

Are you in my Goon league? If not, if someone drops you'll be the first replacement.

Also, I figured out my interwebs and re-invited everyone from last year's goon league. Draft is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, March 9th at 2 pm central but can change if that's a bad time for most people.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 17, 2019

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Your Taint posted:

Are you in my Goon league? If not, if someone drops you'll be the first replacement.

Also, I figured out my interwebs and re-invited everyone from last year's goon league. Draft is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, March 9th at 2 pm central but can change if that's a bad time for most people.

Nope, I'm not in any goon league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Nope, I'm not in any goon league.

I'm leaning toward starting a Goon keeper league as well. If I do it I'd be happy to invite you.