Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

I have high apple pie in the sky hopes.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Just traded Clevenger for Alonso in the Goon Keeper league.

Commish has the 2022 title locked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Welcome brother. :cheers:

Thank you kindly my brother.

Now, how do I go about changing my avatar to Stevie Janowksi?

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm playing the long game. :c00lbert:

Eloy/Alonso/JRam/Javy gonna own.

Respect. That's a problem for future Homer.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Much better, thank you.

DGladding fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 3, 2019

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Twin Cinema posted:

I was going to come and brag about my pitching on Sunday, and then Freeland and Strasburg had to go ruin my elation.

Never think you've solved pitching.

For some reason I have a much easier time with a batter who hits .100 in a week with no counting stats than a pitcher who gives up 6+runs even though they've both done the same amount of damage.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Thank god for Nick Pivetta.

OH GOD NO. THE HORROR.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Justin Upton, Nick Castellanos, I'm starting to think that getting outfielders based on their stubbed toe UZR ratio was a bad idea...

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

fawning deference posted:

Would you do this trade? This is the ROTO league in which I am changing my strategy and punting starting pitchers.

AVG, OBP, SLG, H, R, HR, RBI, SB
IP, QS, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

I would give:
Clayton Kershaw
Tyler Glasnow

I would get:
Jose Alvarado
Daniel Murphy

I would still have Price and Flaherty to trade. Here is my roster if I made this trade:

C: Astudillo
1B: Voit
2B: JRamirez
3B: Suarez
SS: Mondesi
CI: Bruce
MI: Murphy
OF: Trout
OF: Markakis
OF: Soto
Util: FReyes
Util: E Escobar
DL: Meadows (would replace Escobar or Bruce upon return)
BN: Smith Jr (will drop)

SP: Price
SP: Flaherty
SP: Guerra
SP: CFerguson
RP: Leclerc
RP: Alvarado
P: Barnes
P: Burdi
P: Neris
P: HRondon
BN: Urias
BN: Matz (gonna drop soon)
DL: Betances

This would give me an elite bullpen I think - I would probably try to deal Flaherty and Price for an even better hitting upgrade.

Am I not asking enough back?

Basically, my only hitch is that Murphy is coming back from a broken finger and that might affect his hitting. But he always hits for average and he's playing in Coors. And despite some control issues, Alvarado is awesome.

JMO, but I think that trade has the potential to hurt you real bad.

I have Alvarado and I like him. You're right, he's got great stuff. But to me Murphy's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Yay, great on base skills, but there's almost 0 chance you get 20 homers or double digit steals.

Meanwhile, this might be the worst time to try and sell Clayton Kershaw in his career. I remember when Verlander was running on fumes with the Tigers and everyone said he was done and you could get him for a song and a Sam Fuld. To me Kershaw is in potentially a similar spot. He was once known as the greatest starting pitcher on the planet and although his career is at a crossroads because of the injuries, he's still only 31.

Not only that, but you're also throwing in a younger starter who has been hotter than anyone. I'd be more inclined to deal Glasnow than Kershaw at this moment personally, but I do think you could do much better.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

It's tough - this league values starters less than anyone and the other teams know it, so it's very hard to deal even Kershaw or Glasnow for a B+ hitter.

Yeah, I don't really get that.

I've never played IP before, is that a negative stat? It seems to me like with QS you'd want some horses. Good starters have much more of a positive impact on your team ERA and WHIP than relievers due to volume.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

It's true that starters pitch more innings but a dominant reliever's rate stats are so much better than guys like Price and Glasnow and Flaherty will wind up with - the strategy I am going for is punting quality starts and trying to win saves, holds, and all the rate stat categories, while also being in the mix for IP if I have several relievers going for me every night. IP is just a counting stat, so even if I'm middle of the pack there and 2nd to last in QS (someone has already employed the relievers-only strategy and they're in first, leading in all the rate stats) and I think it's a good idea to follow suit rather than rely on starting pitching, which seems almost completely random so far. I'm last in ERA despite having four excellent pitchers, plus Matz, plus a good bullpen.

Pitchers are volatile as hell. Kershaw has injury risks associated with him. I'm dangling Kershaw and Glasnow and Price in trade talks and nobody wants starting pitchers if it means they have to give up an A- hitter or reliever because starters aren't as valuable.

I think Murphy will probably hit 20 homeruns in Coors and is a lock to hit .300 if he's healthy the rest of the year. I'll withhold accepting and keep trying to shop around but I think my options are grim.

The guy who offered me this deal wouldn't upgrade to Correa nor would he do Alvarado for either Kershaw or Glasnow 1-for-1.

My take would be a little different.

Since the rest of the league is putting a tremendous value on RP because they want those K rates and SV+HLD, I would try and win the other categories. They're just as valuable, but because starters have been getting hammered in the early going (not just starters BTW, of which you're fully aware as a LeClerc owner) their perceived value is lower in your format.

I would try and get as many high k innings eaters as I could and then try and hit on 8th inning guys and punt saves if I had to. Seems like the better bet given your existing team, league's perceptions, etc. But do you man. Just my .02, I don't like that deal for you.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Every good reliever is taken in my league and most teams still have several very good starters. Trying to win innings and quality starts at the expense of 6 rate stats seems like a bad idea to me.

I agree that I have cold feet on Murphy and I will try to get a better deal for my starters, but this is a competitive league and my trade options feel restricted.

My take has always been if you are negotiating from a position (or perception) of weakness, you've lost and are only making your team worse by trading.

What you want to do is negotiate from a position of strength, even if you need to flip the table to get there.

If that's totally impossible than it's the wrong time to trade and you need to make a partner with the wire where it makes sense.

If all the 8th inning guys who get heavy k/9 are gone than scoop up some high k/9 relievers who aren't getting holds right now but could move up. They can't possibly have every one of these guys.

DGladding fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 23, 2019

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Is he even a goon? This is an epic meltdown.

I think we all learned a valuable lesson today, and that is that I have multiple personality disorder and am actually everyone else in the league except for Robert. So quit talking to me selves!

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

The only way to win the closer carousel is to keep throwing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks.

Managers lie. In my experience "closer by committee" usually means "we haven't found our guy yet." (Some caveats apply, sure).

But if you keep churning you can come away with 3-4 guys that get you saves. It's just a question of whether you guess correctly and stick with it, or just throw up your arms and punt it.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

You bastards are making it difficult to land any guys in the keeper league. :argh: Total guessing game for me right now outside of trading for Vazquez.

Other leagues I am loaded though, I've got 4-5 guys in some leagues.

Insert "that Hansel is so hot right now" meme here.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

IcePhoenix posted:

I considered trading chapman but then I looked at who my closers actually are (because I set and forgot) and realized that I probably shouldn't punt saves :lol:

The "vulturing saves" conversation has no room for Chapman-Diaz-Yates owners, interim commish.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

the_american_dream posted:

For the sake of this example let’s say objectively fair. The question is does that actually upset anyone and why

I ask because I know a few who get OFFENDED and this tweet is common

https://twitter.com/fantasypros/status/1135193879479816195?s=21

Exactly. Players like Shaw.

There aren't really trade offers that offend me, the way I see it every lowball offer is just opening up a dialogue and provides an opportunity to counter.

I totally get why people would offer someone they are about to cut on a two for one, and in the right circumstance would totally take it it it saved me a waiver order/FAAB etc.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

This used to be my approach - I'd lowball a deal just to say "I am interested in this player, what do you want for him?" But that gets tiresome to people who know what they're doing and I find it much better to make a fair offer off the bat to let them know "I'm interested in this player and serious about giving you good value back." Lowballing to me just gets ignored and sours people on trading with you.

I'll always start with something I think is fair, and with what I perceive to be a need of their's if I'm the one doing the offering.

This is more if I'm the one being offered to. I don't get offended that way. He's just trying to steal my numbers, not have sex with my sister.

I may laugh about it.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Schweinhund posted:

All I ask is that Yelich be put on the DL

Dear God why has this not happened yet?

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Inspector_666 posted:

It's September, nobody goes on the IL this month.

(This is the last year this will be true.)

I hate everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

Inspector_666 posted:

I had to remind my brother about this re: Gary.

Your brother and I are going drinking tonight. I'm expensing it to Rob Manfred.