Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Combo posted:

So I've been out of fantasy baseball since 2015 and really have barely watched baseball period in a few years though I do keep up with news, watch highlights, read about prospects, etc. A buddy is getting into a new dynasty league with some local people and asked me to co-manage with him.

For you dynasty guys, other than draft rankings, etc, what kinds of strategies do you shoot for? Go for it in year 1? Look for 2-3 years down the road? Little bit of both?

I'm doing a bunch of research and feeling very lost at the moment.

Don't stream against the Twins :v:

Also, never do a little bit of both. That way lies always finishing middle of the pack. Pick one and commit, because there will always be people doing the other.

I actually find going for it to be more successful, especially on league startup, because so many people go into ASSETS fever. Just remember, Flags Fly Forever.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you were in the fire and forget league last year I reupped it so please tell me in post in the league home if you want to play again or want out so I can refill it and set a draft time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Murderball posted:

He casts a long shadow

more wide than long, really

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't want to be the one to say it first but the Twins basically put him on a diet this offseason and he had to check in with them every week or two from their Dominican facility to show that he was staying on track.

I heard on the radio that Buxton put on a bunch of muscle as well.

I still would be careful about drafting them, though a healthy Sano that isn't a fat gently caress is certainly an interesting idea.

the_american_dream posted:

Probably a dumb question but Altuve worth keeping forgoing a 1st round pick?

Depends on where your pick is and what the other options are.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Yeah I'm not really interested in Buxton except as maybe a really late round flier.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/carlos-martinez-shut-down-for-2-weeks.html

All Pitching Is Bad

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm going to end up keeping Buxton again because I'm a big dumb idiot and then also cut bait with Sano and then Sano is going to end up actually being good again and Buxton will continue to do nothing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Schweinhund posted:

Just draft Buxton. He goes for like $2? Him, Sano and the Twins are all going to suck though, sorry.

Not an auction league. Keep 7-10 at no cost (well, the cost of players 8, 9, and 10 is that people who keep fewer players than you start drafting before you). My top six are locked (Trout, Stanton, Soto, Kluber, Buehler, Clevinger) but after that is a bunch of old/injury prone guys who I could try and get one more season out of...or Buxton/Sano.

Yes I am aware that keeping Buxton would be four OFs but I could trade one or just use the utility slot.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

jabro posted:

Trade Trout. You can have my whole team.

The only thing I would consider trading Trout for in our league is Vlad + Mookie

I bring that up specifically because there is a team that will probably have that once Vlad gets called up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bregor posted:

Just be careful, on NFBC he was going around pick 180 all the way through the start of spring games. In you filter for drafts just in the last week his ADP has jumped to 146. Amazing what a few at-bats in meaningless games will do.

don't forget BSOHL

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Sano out til May at least, do not draft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

Just a reminder to my Goon leaguers that the draft is today at 2pm Central.

changing it from auction to standard draft and not telling anyone is a dick move

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

Not being aware of that for three loving weeks and then complaining about it is kind of a dick move as well. I changed it the day i formed the league and have posted in this thread about it and also sent several emails to all managers. It's not like you didn't have the opportunity to know.

It's been that way for three weeks, dude.

you didn't say anything in thread, didn't post anything in the league, and certainly didn't send any e-mails that I got

sorry I guess for assuming it would be the same as it has been for the life of the league and not checking, but don't act like you did anything at all to notify people

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

Upon further inspection, I thought I had specified in this thread when I was promoting openings in the league, so that's my bad. It WAS posted as a notification in the league, however. Feel free to check. My apologies for my harsh reaction and I will do better going forward.

It's all good, sorry if I came off too harsh as well. I was just caught off guard because it's usually my only auction league.

(I still don't want the team anymore though so if you can find someone to take it you should :v:)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 10, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There are four spots available in the Fire and Forget league, if anyone would like to join. Draft is at 2PM Central on Sunday. It's a twelve team roto.

Roster and Scoring:

For those unaware, the Fire and Forget league is a league where your team is locked after the draft and you just hope you did a good job. Last year came down to the wire as our eventual winner ran out of innings with a couple weeks to go and only barely held on as the teams behind him kept accumulating pitching stats.

Positions are capped at 162 games apiece and pitching is 1400 total innings, which I think most teams didn't really come up against.

PM me or drop your e-mail in here and I will send you an invite.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/NBCSPhilly/status/1106627762348089349

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

IcePhoenix posted:

There are four spots available in the Fire and Forget league, if anyone would like to join. Draft is at 2PM Central on Sunday. It's a twelve team roto.

Roster and Scoring:

For those unaware, the Fire and Forget league is a league where your team is locked after the draft and you just hope you did a good job. Last year came down to the wire as our eventual winner ran out of innings with a couple weeks to go and only barely held on as the teams behind him kept accumulating pitching stats.

Positions are capped at 162 games apiece and pitching is 1400 total innings, which I think most teams didn't really come up against.

PM me or drop your e-mail in here and I will send you an invite.

Still looking for a couple people for this league, we moved the draft to Monday night at 7:30 central to not conflict with another league/people's weekend plans

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Happy with my team in Your Taint's keeper league. Pick 8 of 12

Scoring settings

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Your Taint posted:

My team, same league as above. Tell me how bad I suck.

needs more schwarber

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just need one more person for a full 12 teams in the Fire and Forget league, where you could be the proud owner of Luke Voit if you want to!

invite link

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well I was GOING to join, but apparently I have reached the maximum allowed free leagues :lol:

It's 8 if you're curious.

sounds like someone needs to make a second account

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Inspector_666 posted:

I just got Puig with pick #69, I win this league.

confirmed

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:lol:

vvv not my team lol vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 19, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also here's my team, third pick

I'm kind of ehhhh on it but it could be a lot worse. I took a lot of risks though so I will probably end up bottom third.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Simpsons Reference posted:

Oh motherfucker. Second year in a row someone has caused me to miss the draft

I even changed the day for you!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

yeah, which is why I wanted to make sure the draft for F&F happened before those games, since there's no chance for you to actually make them up, what with the whole "and forget" part of the league

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just traded Stanton and Carlos Santana for Machado and Cesar Hernandez in the keep forever league that a few goons are in, feeling pretty good about it since I have Trout/Soto/Eloy/Buxton as it is and basically nothing for infielders (though I did well enough in the draft on that regard IMO)

Team before the trade:

12 team h2h keep 7-10 between seasons as your first picks 6x6, standard 5x5 + OPS and Outs

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'd guess he'll be a middle round pick now that he made the roster

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I made another gimmick league if anyone wants to join

Draft is sunday night at 8:30 central. 12 team roto.

https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/165617/invitation?key=a79326b29817f7cc&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=aec0093a6d227a2b

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

H2H redraft: Fernando Tatis or Ryan McMahon? And why is McMahon a FA in the Fire & Forget league? He was raking by the 18th, wasn't he?

people were probably worried about PT still

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If you need a closer pick up Taylor Rogers.

he got the save yesterday but the Twins are doing a bullpen by committee so it's hard to say if he'll actually get the bulk of the opportunities. Indians had like three lefties in their last four batters (two were pinch hit for) which is the more likely reason to me that he got the call.

OTOH, he and May (the other likely Save guy if they go with a dedicated closer) probably won't hurt your ratios so you could just go for it and hope for a good week every now and then.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gonna pimp this out again now that the opening day rush has slowed a bit

IcePhoenix posted:

I made another gimmick league if anyone wants to join

Draft is sunday night at 8:30 central. 12 team roto.

https://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/165617/invitation?key=a79326b29817f7cc&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=aec0093a6d227a2b

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HE'LL SHOW YOU, YOU'LL SEE

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Indians might be a cheeky option for targeting streaming opponents, they have like two good hitters until Lindor comes back from what I saw this weekend.

Obviously you shouldn't stream against the Twins.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Pussy Boss posted:

So Jose Martinez is a bench player now? I missed the memo on that one.

They don't have anywhere to play him

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

yowza

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abel Wingnut posted:

on another note, espn's new site is beyond trash. they gotta get this nonsense fixed soon. boyd's performance isn't even showing up for me, no active stats pages, the fantasycast doesn't work after 5min, and even when it does the layout makes zero sense

just atrocious

When I was following the Twins game at work yesterday they didn't have any pitcher data for the Twins while Gibson was in the game lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

My platonic ideal of pitching categories are IPs, ERA, WHIP, and K/9. I think that values SPs and RPs fairly while using actual meaningful pitching metrics instead of silly things like wins and saves.

A full RP squad dominates this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They said the same thing about Mike Trout and look how he turned out

Mike Trout was the #1 or #2 prospect in baseball (depending on which list you looked at) when he got called up