Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still kind of confused why CyberConnect2 bothered modernizing the better .hack games. Even weirder that it seems to have worked and jump started the company into making -- a "Trilogy of Vengeance' coming out around this year with a Little Tail Bronx game, Fugue on the Battlefield, be some Dangan Ronpa like tragic war game about furry kids surviving an anthro war on a giant tank that sacrifices souls to shoot. Tokyo Ogre Gate, which looks like mixture of Devil Summoner's Raidou Kuzunoha with the Shinobi series. And Cecile which is -- uh, a Bayonetta with a Gothic Lolita Witch fighting with her transforming umbrella?

Oh, and a Dragon Ball Z RPG also maybe coming out this year too.

For a company that's been making mobile games and Naruto, I'm kind of shocked they have this big of a fire under their rear end all of a sudden and I don't know if that's a good or bad thing for dot hack.

Sorry was that too video gamey for anime talk?

EDIT: I think the newest not remake material of the franchise is 2015's .hack//Bullet, but that's just a web novel at the moment. Its about as Insane as anything else releated to .hack, even though this is farther than I ever cared to know about its batshit world after the cult of old doomsday french women try to lock everyone into the internet.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Phantasium posted:

probably important to keep in mind that CyberConnect was originally helping with development of the FFVII remake, which means they were basically held up by that up until they were dropped because Square can't manage a drat thing these days, and almost immediately after the news came out that CC were dropped they announced all this poo poo.

Oh is that what was happening with CC? I thought the long dry spell was just them not really getting much out of the occasional Nartuto game and lackluster .hack spin off and they just saved up to GU Recoded.

Alder posted:

It was the 15th anniversary of .hack and fans had been asking for a remake for awhile. Also, in the perfect timeline CC will be working on a new .hack for the current gen beyond mobage.

Sure, I mean with SAO out and about, a new .hack series of games is primed to make some bank. It's also been long enough for another dumb death of the internet and reforming into something else.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its probably the best encapsulation of what was the internet around the late 90s-early 00s, even in a now completely not plausible setting (lol the internet is replaced by an OP run on super linex by the 2010s). You got image boards with art you download, fake chat rooms full of personalities that grow throughout each game (rip buttrice), fake news articles that occur around each event in game. It was annoying when you had to log off the world to check your mail to log back in to progress the story, but it built something that was more natural than other virtual world titles that came before or after .hack.

I can only guess a new .hack would involve game streamers, esports and live chats in a weird faux future NEO The World setting.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 6, 2019

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
That's probably the next Isekai genre fad, going into cartoon world you either are a super fan of just wanna be in because gently caress reality.