Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What is Wealth?

What is Wealth?

Baby don't hurt me

No more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eschat0n posted:

I don't want to get into the nitty- gritty yet because I think there's an important implication to all that I've said which has yet to be expressed in terms that ought to bother many of the readers of this thread, and provoke more discourse than there has been so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwJM4sJb4yU

Would you just drop your nuclear hot take that you've been clearly itching to get out since you started this thread and stop with all this pointless blather about wealth and coconuts?

I imagine it's something like "billionaires are cool and good" but with a million more :words: to convince yourself that you're a really smart bootlicker. Loved the diversion into "well, technically" about entropy in a thread presumably about economics, that was a real nice touch to make yourself seem smart.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eschat0n posted:

This forum is extremely paranoid.

Typo posted:

This is actually extremely true

It's not "paranoia" it's loving pattern recognition. You think you're the first idiot to stumble drunkenly into D&D and post long screeds about how you've figured out economics/wealth/humanity more than anyone else in the whole world?

And for some reason, the conclusion of all these brain geniuses is never "we should give poor people more money" so if you're the first one with that conclusion, congratulations, but somehow I highly doubt that's the big thing you've been working up to.

Eschat0n posted:

lol, it's pretty funny that you reference Peterson. I like the guy at first glance; I like some of what he says.

And shock of all shocks, you're a JP fan. Of course.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Do you think poor people should have more money, yes or no?

I would like a literal one word answer to this question.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eschat0n posted:

With that in mind, my argument does proceed along lines a little closer to what you imagine the "right-wingers" might argue

loving shocked. This is my shocked face. :geno:

Eschat0n posted:

The reason I'm interested in this is because I intuit (though perhaps someone may show me this is not a good intuition) that sustainable economies are better for the planet, perhaps even their participants' personal well-being, and in a very utilitarian sense, that they will be better for more people over time. Which is all nice and good, but if they have no hope of competing with a short-sighted monster of an economy that strip-mines its way to glorious and alluring short-term wealth, then people will prefer that economy and the sustainable one will fall to the wayside through various means both violent and nonviolent.

"Sure a sustainable economy won't cook the planet and would probably leave all of the people better off materially, but what if it gets wiped out by an unsustainable economy that doesn't give a gently caress?"

Well then we're all dead anyway, so maybe we should focus on creating the good sustainable economy and not worry about hypothetical non-sustainable economies somehow wiping us out with their vast economic power.

Like in your mind, the US does a Green New Deal, stops carbon emissions, and then China goes "Oh now we can win!" and increases carbon emissions 10000% and what, just buys the US? Invades the US? What is the loving fear here?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Eschat0n posted:

and think you're acting like a toddler.

Considering how immature you've been up to this point in the conversation

But here you are, all loving worried that I'm some kind of crypto loving something or other.

Drop the tone argument bullshit, this is Something Awful and you're the one who created a thread of 'I understand economy better than everyone else, prove me wrong" and now you're bitching because we're finally getting to the actual meat of your beliefs and oops, turns out they're very stupid, no matter how many words you use to try to disguise that fact.

You appear to be terrified of hypothetical future bad economies disrupting our hypothetical future good economy, this is not a normal state of affairs to be in, when there are actual bad economies and we all currently live in them. Let's just work on making a good economy and we can worry about the bad ones if they actually do get angry enough to attack us for reducing carbon emissions.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Volkerball posted:

You don't have to buy a house. Anybody can invest in real estate mutual funds with a significantly smaller barrier of entry and get about the same percent return as what that homeowner got.

People without money can not do that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Volkerball posted:

More than half of all lottery tickets are purchased by the poorest 1/3 of households. Sure a lot of people have a lot of hurdles in their life, but a lot of people are really stupid with their money too. That's an educational issue, not an inherent flaw in the system. 80% of millionaires are first generation, so there's obviously the potential there.

Ah yes, it's those drat lottery tickets holding all the poors back, well that and all the avocado toast, natch. Surely it's not stagnating wages combined with rapidly increasing costs of living, all that inequality is just a behavioral problem, the system works!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Volkerball posted:

My single mother of three will be mostly dependent on me when she retires as she's always lived paycheck to paycheck

So if it's so loving easy to make mad money, why does your mother live paycheck to paycheck? Why didn't she just save $20 a week and be financially secure forever? Or are you just vastly simplifying the issue?

quote:

If it's accessible to me, it's accessible to the vast majority of people.

Except your mother, apparently!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

This is utopian idealism. Which is not bad, at all. Just not something that is actually possible.

Better Things Aren't Possible so why even try?

gently caress off with this :matters: poo poo, if you're going to write off the entire concept of trying to get to a better world because you can't conceive of how it's possble to get there.

Like what further conversation is there to have if you shut down your thought process here?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

This is a forum discussion and I'm in no position to make policy or advise anyone who makes policy. Or even advise anyone who advises anyone on policy. So for me it's fine to talk about these things with some emotional distance and if a particular idea doesn't seem like it's workable, that's ok. IMO itīs even more important for people who have actual power to be able to do that, come to think of it.

Further, I donīt think Communism is a means to get to a better world. I think it's a utopian idea and trying to impose it on the world is probably a dangerous mistake. So I guess yeah, Iīm going to write it off, and would consider other ways to make the world better that have a better chance of actually working.

:smug: heh, looks like you all care too much about being killed off to enrich the 1%, too bad you can't be rational about things like me :smug:

The funny thing is that you're not actually talking about anything, you're literally just writing off the idea that we could transition away from capitalism as "utopian" when capitalism is literally boiling the planet alive. Replace all of your posts with "we can never change capitalism because I said so" and it's effectively the same thing. That's an inherently unproductive discussion.

eta: seriously what is it about getting some money that turns everyone into a myopic idiot who thinks "well the system worked out for me therefore it's the best possible system we have, I'll just ignore every single downside because most of them don't affect me"

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 3, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

Ok dude. I think I've said everything I can reasonably say and no new points seem to be coming up so I'm going to bow out.

If you're gonna start making arguments on a board called Debate and Discussion, maybe don't act so shocked when people argue that you're wrong? Saying "well this is just a forum we can't change anything here" as a tactic of stifling discussion because you'd rather not earnestly engage is some might lovely posting, dude.

"Why bother discussing anything at all, since we can't change anything?" - a wise goon interested in good faith discussion.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

gently caress all of this nonsense, tbqh.

Oh what a shock, he has insanely conservative views on how we should treat the poor and working class, who could have possibly seen this coming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Typo posted:

But all you are really saying now is that they confirm your pre-existing biases and opinions, regardless of its correctness

Remember when you called us paranoid on page 4 for predicting this was gonna end with right wing nonsense?

Well, here we all are! :toot:

Eschat0n posted:

You are wrong and an rear end.

Turn on your monitor :smuggo:

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 11, 2019