Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019
Because I'm not sure I understand fully, and that seems like it might be kinda important.

I'm not going to try to ask for an Econ 101 here; I do come to this question with some prior knowledge, but it seems to me that there's a lot of confusion about economics stemming from suppositions about this fundamental assumption - that we know what we're talking about when we talk about wealth and its manifestations - money, capital, stock, debt, etc. This perceived issue is stemming either from a widespread lack of understanding or - much more likely - my own lack of understanding.

This is not to say that I don't have my own conception of wealth - otherwise, why would I post this in a debate forum? I want people to point out where I'm wrong with this, so I can push back and forth and - you know - have a debate. So:

Isn't it the case that wealth is human work at its most fundamental level? That is - money, capital, stock, debt, etc. - these are all fundamentally representations of human work.

A man who is alone on a desert island may be said to possess wealth. He may have tools which he has made, and food which he has gathered. If he encounters another person, these items may be bartered or sold. This basic concept doesn't decohere at larger scales or lose importance, either - fundamentally, wealth = work.

Such a concept puts the lie to the notion that wealth can be created out of thin air. A government which prints money by fiat in fact subdivides extant representations of a finite wealth - this has its uses, but it does not create wealth except that it may, by increasing liquidity, promote investment enabling work which in turn produces wealth. Inflation increases liquidity by devaluing currency in favor of investment.

Risk is a form of human work. A random distribution of investments will tend to neither increase or decrease wealth, but when one works to determine where best to risk investment, that work may produce wealth just as a farmer's decision to plant crops in a flood plain may or may not produce wealth.

The amount of wealth produced by work is its value. Value is a product of your work's demand in its best available market and its liquidity. If you have dug up gold but have nowhere to sell it, then its value is only that which you yourself can use the gold for. If you have dug up gold and have a market for it but the boat you want to buy with your gold is sold by one who already has enough gold, you will have to first convert your gold into capital the boat seller desires, lowering the liquidity of your gold and thus its value to you.

Thus is wealth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Very specifically wealth is not human labour. It is a marshalling tool for human labour but it is not labour itself. It is produced by human labour, but it is not the labour itself.
First of all, thank you for stooping to educate a new guy.

OwlFancier posted:

This is relevant because if you have some method of extracting wealth from other people's labour, then you are able to amass more of it, marshal more labour, exert more power over others, all without actually doing anything yourself. You acquired the wealth by the work of others, you spend it to direct the work of others, you have the control, others do the work.
I don't find it really differentiates much. To wit, if I have a method of extracting work from people, then I am able to amass more work, marshal more work, exert more power over others, all without actually doing that work myself (though it should probably be noted on the side here that we musn't suppose it took no work to devise a method of extracting work from others). The only thing that sounds odd in my rephrasing of what you said is "I am able to amass more work." That sounds odd - how do you amass a verb? But really, we are amassing work in capital; the value which the capital has is derived from the work it takes to make it. That is to say, a car on the market is valuable to me only insofar as I do not want to do the work to make one myself; I certainly could; given sufficient means and time, but I view that expenditure of my life's time as rather unworthy. I'd rather do something else than do the work to make that car myself. Thus it has value to me because someone else did the work to make that car. Of course as I said earlier, value also derives from work's liquidity and how much it is worth to the potential buyer, but it is impossible to create any wealth in the first place without doing any work.

OwlFancier posted:

To use your example, if I have the tools, and you want to use them to build something, I can loan you the tools, but in exchange I might demand you build something for me too. Now you might say this is fair because I made the tools, but what if I didn't make the tools, what if I inherited them? What if I, by virtue of owning the tools and being the one in a position to say whether or not you get to use them, demand an unfair amount of work from you in exchange? What if, the thing you need to use them to build is a house, and if you don't you'll be out in the cold. How long can you go without them? What if I can do this with hundreds of people? Which of us has more power? Which of us is doing the work? Which of us is going to get wealthier?
None of this makes a bit of sense to me yet. The base value of the tools is in the work it took to make them - it doesn't matter who did the work. Whether any of this is "fair" doesn't enter into it; the transaction proposed can be accepted or rejected unless someone else is going to do the work (create wealth) to coerce the other party. The consequences and the context of this exchange don't impinge on whether the tool-owner is wealthier because he owns the "work." We could discuss the morality of ownership in general, I suppose - and certainly perhaps later on we ought to - but if we presuppose ownership is a valid construct, there's no issue I can see here. Sidenote - I should really think about what wealth means in a society without any concept of ownership...

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you wanna just advocate for goldbuggery you're not doing it very subtly.
Sorry, new here and not sure what goldbuggery refers to, but guessing it's some kind of advocacy for a metal standard, given the context? Nope, I'm not. I think that's bonkers. If anything I'm trying to think this through because metal standards make no sense to me; fiat currency seems inherently valid to me and I'm trying to puzzle through why I think that is. Right now I'm thinking it's because fiat currency really just represents a liquid way of exchanging past work done - we value the currency because the system which controls it guarantees standards of work you can expect to be represented by that currency. Saying the currency isn't backed by anything but trust is meant to make fiat currency sound vacuous or unstable; of course it's backed by trust, but it is ultimately trust in the work of the workers in that system and that the system will ensure a standard valuation thereof. If you're a banana republic dictator presiding over a terrible, tiny economy, and you print a ton of money, it does nothing except divide your representation of the work available in your economy (and possibly its future work; not sure on this point yet) to people looking to buy that kind of work.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019
Also before I forget - something to touch on later, as I'm not sure how it fits in - knowledge seems like work which behaves a little differently than other forms of wealth. It can be multiplied without diminishing it. If you share knowledge, you quite simply inject more wealth into the system. The same is true of any other worker - their work is injecting new wealth into the system daily. With knowledge, though, you're doing this very, very efficiently - at its best, knowledge sharing expends only the time of the involved parties and some of their physical energy (usually relatively little). Public schooling may well have some of the best returns of any government program, ever.

However, given the stupendous efficiency with which knowledge work injects wealth into an economy, why is it that libraries, open source licensing initiatives, pure research, and the like are not similarly championed, funded, and otherwise encouraged? Why are patents allowed to degrade this highly efficient means of improving economic growth? I don't have answers to these questions yet - usually a sign of a chink in the structure I'm imagining...

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Indeterminacy posted:

I'm not sure that we would call this kind of exchange a use of "wealth", as such. Wealth has connotations of surplus, whereas one's tools and food on a desert island are never excessive - one barters them as valuable precisely because they are not readily abundant.

Are you more interested in "capital", "value" or "abundance" here?

What is the difference, economically-speaking, between a man on a desert island with no tools, and a man on a desert island with tools? I don't think wealth has connotations of surplus - or at least, it is only a loose connotation, and not strictly required.

I think capital is a type of work storage. Value is a property of work. Abundance I haven't even started to consider yet.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

It's because people make money from creating scarcity, op.

roomforthetuna posted:

Edit3: Counterproposal: in a society, wealth does not represent human work, it represents human capacity to inflict violence at some level of indirection.

Helsing posted:

Without social relationships the "value" of the capital that you amass is meaningless.

glowing-fish posted:

"Wealth" is an abstract ownership of the economy, that seems to have an increasingly tenuous connection to possible economic production or consumption.

communism bitch posted:

the value of the table is in its complete form.

So are all of you actually secretly in agreement and just not telling me, or is it the case that this forum is full of people talking about economics and politics of economics without any of them agreeing on what wealth is? But that's just a little snark. I appreciate everyone chipping in with some goddamn essays; you don't get that kind of interest everywhere. I read 'em, and the ones which I understood to contribute to the discussion I tried to distill as seen above.

I want to make clear (I thought I had already, but whatevs) before I continue: I understand wealth does not equal money/currency. I think everyone here does, actually. That's not in question, so nobody should feel the need to further emphasize that.

I'd like to briefly address the notions distilled above. Before I do, I'd like to mention that there were some folks who wanted me to remember that natural resources figure into wealth. I think that's a good point and worth making before I get too far into my whole wealth = work rabbit hole; certainly having the good fortune to be born in minerally-rich Tanzania beats being chucked out of the womb into "this is just dirt and rock" Japan. Certainly, happening to exist on the fertile soils of the Mississippi Delta beats being dumped into volcanic barren heath Iceland. But I don't think the natural resources are actually wealth in and of themselves, anymore than our physical bodies are wealth in and of themselves. I think they have to be worked to have value (in the economic sense, not the philosophical one). And though I didn't want to get into it, I probably can't escape (as some have already intimated) ownership - because many may suppose ownership of land is the predominant means of possessing wealth. Without work, though, I think ownership of natural resources like land doesn't really get you any wealth.

Back to the so-called just-so spherical cows (or let's be brief and call it the JSSC scenario). On a slightly more complicated desert island, populated only with Robinson Crusoes (hereafter RCs for short) and palm trees, coconuts are the chief source of food and drink. Those patches of the island with plenty of fallen coconuts on the ground are certainly nicer to be at than those patches which are only sand. However, no one is getting anything out of any patches unless they actually go out and harvest coconuts. In areas with plenty of RCs milling about, furthermore, no one gets anything additional out of the land so long as all RCs are free to gather coconuts where they may. An individual or group of RCs may defend a patch of ground against the depredations of other RCs (violence! scarcity!), but claims to ownership are hollow without the effort to back it up with violence or some other form of work (e.g. diplomacy or deceit) (social relationships!). Natural resources require work to get wealth out of. Not necessarily a lot of work - these RCs simply stoop and pick up a coconut, so long as the local coconut cartel or palm tree fief-lord isn't hanging around - but work nonetheless.

Some RCs actually live on the next island over. This is not so great for them, for here there are many fewer palm trees and the distance between these islands is too great for them to swim. Regardless of the work they do or the willingness of all parties to allow these RCs to scurry about where they may, these RCs just don't have it as well off as the RCs on the other island. Nevertheless, they may work to harvest what coconuts they do have and subsist on these. The existence of the richer island, even if known to them, does not devalue what they do have. Now the RCs on these islands may even establish a system whereby they may agree to float coconuts across the water to each other, but those men on the less endowed island will be at a disadvantage in trade - all other things being equal.

Yet still those succulent nuts which they do possess, comprise their wealth entire.

At times some very successful RC may gather more nuts than he can eat in a lifetime. Surplus nuts are of no value to him, but if he works to gather more nuts, he may parlay these into alliances, sexual favors, etc - other things which are of value to the RC. On his death, such an RC might bestow his remainder of coconuts on some other RC at random - an RC who has done no work to deserve it, even! Yet still the coconuts gathered are his wealth, and this wealth was created by work - just not his work. Further, if such an undeserving RC were to burn all his ill-gotten coconuts, wealth would be destroyed and none created. It is certainly true that work does not necessarily create wealth, but all wealth is derived of work.

As for the Theory of Value and The Labour Theory of Value that folks suggested to me, thanks. I've deliberately written all the above prior to reading those, so that if I learn something which convincingly contradicts what I've written I'll come back and do the work of refuting myself from these sources so that the difference between what I'm saying and what these sources are saying is clear.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Helsing posted:

If you need to invent such an elaborate and ridiculous scenario to justify your theory of value then why not start over, working from the actual historical record instead of something you invented?
It's not elaborate unless you're stupid; hence the joke about it being a spherical cow. Not sure how you got to this point.

roomforthetuna posted:

Looked like mostly agreement to me, just with slightly varying levels of cynicism / abstraction. But also notable, none of us were agreeing with the premise that wealth=work...
If it's agreement it's escaping me. And yes, I can plainly see people are disagreeing with me. Which is, by the way, completely the point of the thread and why it's posted in a forum called Debate & Discussion.

I don't see the need to give up the premise at all; I just think I haven't explained what I had in mind well enough yet. The work involved in gathering the coconuts is simple on purpose, it represents a very trivial amount of work - so that we can start from the hardest point for my argument, where the work required is the least. I don't like arguing against straw men, and while I set up "simplistic" thought experiments because (please excuse my imbecility) I'm not trying isolate what I'm talking about instead of make observations about the real world which are completely caught up in historical circumstance. The work to gather the coconuts was, in my mind, simply stacking them in a pile so you can say they're yours; without that work there is no basis to the claim or easy method of delineation. The alternative is to make the effort, also fairly trivial, to stake a claim on the land the ungathered coconuts lie on, but the land itself is not an RC's wealth unless and until they do that. The point is that no matter how simple I can make it, I can't come up with a situation in which the land itself, without any work, counts as wealth to anyone. Frankly I think this takes on an important moral dimension since I am interested in preventing arguments about wealth arising from the circumstance of birth - just because one is born near a bit of land which is more easily converted to wealth via work than other bits of land doesn't entitle you to that wealth.

The violence argument is a good idea, but I actually think it's pretty trivial to prove violence isn't the basis of all wealth, and even if violence is a step, I kinda see violence as just a special type of work. The RC who gathers coconuts and hides them from another is not threatening anyone or doing violence to anyone except through a broad interpretation of the term "violence" that I don't agree with (whether you agree with my fairly broad interpretation of the word "work" may represent a sticking point worth bringing up later on).

Typo posted:

then why are people willing to purchase completely unimproved pieces of land and count it as among their assets?...
It seems to me that when you buy unimproved land you're doing it through some kind of social organization which sanctions the act and is willing to back that up with law/violence. Furthermore, the land in and of itself is not wealth-providing to society as a whole unless it is eventually improved (through work). I realize that's a nuanced argument. Well, OP, it certainly provides wealth to the individual who buys it, you say. He can sell it to someone else who then improves it, but it certainly represented wealth to that middle man, didn't it? I agree that it did, in the same way that money represents wealth. The land represents the ability to get wealth out of it by work. I can go buy an asteroid made of solid gold tomorrow, but because no one can actually go improve that asteroid, no one in their right mind agrees it represents wealth.

And yes, I am trying pretty hard to come by all this myself, even if others have gone before me. It's more fun, and it's usually more gratifying, when I've done this for a while, to then go and read this poo poo, and find out just how alike or dissimilar the greats were to us when talking out of our asses. If you don't find it entertaining then I'm really not sure why you're in D&D at all, unless you hold the rest of the discussions here to meet some standard you think this one doesn't meet. In which case I suppose this thread ought to be removed.

glowing-fish posted:

This isn't meant to be a rude question, but I am really curious:...
While your first question wasn't rude, the rest of it was. I can be not stilted or artificial; I thought it was funny to write about the topic in that voice. Guess I'm alone in that. Apologies.

I don't get where the accusation of Libertarianism comes from, to be honest. I don't see how anything in the idea that wealth = work is Libertarian. I personally am not Libertarian. Currently the economic strategy I think makes the most sense is some kind of Distributionism, but as you can see, my beliefs really are in a state of flux.

As far as who I am (though Logic preserve me from why you'd think that information was necessary to come to grips with ideas), you could have bothered to read my account info. I've posted a drat sight more there than most. If you really want to know more than that I can be more specific, but really I hesitate to take that as true interest when it seems more likely a grab at ad hominem.

As for your personal history, that's nice. It doesn't matter to me.

OwlFancier posted:

OK but none of us live on desert islands, we live in societies which have laws and the laws say that if you own something, you can tell other people what to do with it....
News flash, people trying to come to grips with complex ideas try to boil them down and separate them into their constituent parts. I'm not going to sit here and pretend to understand modern economic systems. I'm going to start with a really stupidly simple society and work from there. If it makes sense there great, then I get to find out if it still makes sense in more complex figurings. You're free to explain why it breaks down instead of simply asserting it does.

I have no drat clue who jrod is. I have no idea why you have so much trouble taking me at my word. I have not railed against fiat currency; in fact I think I've praised it at least once. I am not obsessed with desert island metaphors, I thought they were fun and valid, which is a nice combo to have. If you'd like to offer some other simple theming for a gedankenexperiment, you go right ahead.

Indeterminacy posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with going back to first principles every now and then, as long as you don't spend too much time reveling in this pretheoretic state (as we see far too often amongst the pseudo-theorists of the Right)....
Man, honestly, thanks for your post. Was beginning to lose hope in this thread. And yeah, I promise I'm not trying to lead anyone down any stupid paths toward some kind of super right-wing ideology or any stupid ulterior bullshit like that. But yes

Helsing posted:

The LTV,predicts that there will be a correspondence between the labour invested into an object and its exchange value on the market. Right or wrong it is a predictive theory. The OP is just building up rhetorical sandcastles to try and bolster a poorly thought out ethical argument.
That's a really stellar interpretation of my motives, since I've explicitly expressed a desire to remove ethics from the conversation entirely. And yeah, right now I think that if your formulation of the LTV is correct, then I essentially agree with the LTV. Correspondence is a great word to use, too, because obviously there's going to be fluctuation due to demand. What you're missing so far, though, is that I'm also trying to consider value and wealth separately. It seems plausible to me that something could have a lot of value on a market without a lot of wealth in it, given my theory of what constitutes wealth, and conversely you could have a lot of wealth that carries little value in the market.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Wealth is freedom from want.
The dead are truly the wealthiest. I mean, I get it, but it's not a very useful claim.

Moridin920 posted:

With respect to economics, wealth is the ability to command labor.

I agree you might find The Wealth of Nations interesting.

Capitalists are stupid idiots and routinely ignore externalities to their business transactions (such as this might poison and kill us all) or long term ramifications.

More to the point, in the last few decades the Freidman supply siders have taken over the seats of power and those dudes are ideologically compelled to reduce government size as much as possible. They'd say actually none of those things you mentioned are efficient and private entities can do them better if there is truly a need for those things. They are, of course, idiots. Useful idiots though because they work to further enrich the already ultrawealthy. Mostly via advocating for privatizing public assets and handing them off for rent extraction by private entities.

This is great, too. I mean, I'm going to take it or leave it as far as your opinions on capitalists go (you do you, I'm not there yet), but everything else you say makes a ton of sense. It really seems like I'm gonna want to read Wealth of Nations cover to cover... but also that's a pretty old book and stuff has been said in economics since then (understatement understood). Anything more recent which focus on stuff like the LTV and the meaning of "work" in economics and stuff like that?

Helsing posted:

As I've heard it explained, according to Marx the socially necessary labour time does play a role in determining the exchange value of the commodity. An individual commodity might sell for more or less than its objective value based on local factors like supply and demand or marketing, but those fluctuations are still anchored around the socially necessary labour time taken to produce the commodity. In cases where one commodity consistently sells for more than its real value there has to be another commodity that is consistently selling for less than its real value, so that the economy as a whole balances out.

So while the LTV allows that individual commodities can and often do sell for more or less than their labour content it still argues that there is an important relationship between socially necessary labour time and price.
Would Marx say the commodity consistently selling for less than its real value is human labor? Because I think I can get behind that; it makes sense to me. If work is wealth to me, then the situation in which I am willing to do work for someone else so that they will give me something in return for that work is one in which I am literally trading pure, unadulterated wealth (my work) for something else. The agent getting that work from me is going to profit most from that exchange only when they can get more work out of me than the work they put into getting whatever it is they're giving me in exchange. And this continues on down the line; the craftsman knows in his heart that the work he does for a company is always worth more than the company is willing to pay him, or the consumer is willing to spend. He is forced to make that bad trade because as a finite mortal being he cannot simply make the car, to use an earlier formulation, or print the fiat currency and enforce it with his own personal army. He must rely on others for these things, and is thus compelled to make a "bad" trade. Everyone in a society does this, I suppose.

Reznor posted:

...I mean, I guess op made a rubric for it. But I don't see the explanatory power or use for his theory.
To be sure it's pretty general. I think it helps explain - to me, at least - how the overall wealth of human civilizations has increased over time. I think that's interesting. Looking at a finite planet, you'd think all the stuff there is, is already there - all the wealth is already present and cannot be diminished or improved upon. But manipulations to decrease entropy locally (work) do actually create wealth from the perspective of the folks who can use it.

VirtualBasement posted:

I'm actually surprised this was not the first reply to this thread. OP is even cherry picking replies and doing that "just asking questions" bullshit.
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised an old forum behind a paywall has become a pit of internecine conflict, but... is there any way for me to prove I'm not this jrod guy? I mean hell, maybe I'm just like him in terms of my behavior, but if identity really matters aside from behavior this much here, is there anything I can do to show otherwise? Also if I've left out replies which you think are worth responding to, just let me know and I'll say what I think I can say in response to them. I honestly just picked the responses which I wanted to reply to most the first time around... doing what I'm doing here is tiring.

Helsing posted:

OP's proposed theory has no such predictive content. It's a purely normative statement. So in that sense he's not even mucking around in the 19th century reinventing the labour theory of value, he's all the way back in the 17th century reinventing Locke's theory on the origin of property.
This is actually a good point. I suppose I really can't avoid talking about property and ownership like I thought I could; it's really kind of central to what I'm talking about. That does make this discussion take on an ethical dimension as well, like you said earlier, doesn't it? I start to see where you're coming from...

I think I'd have to start off on this tangent by saying, though, that I don't think it's obvious property belongs to the agent whose work brought it into existence. I think property is actually an enforced concept; work is actually constantly sunk into its enforcement. A society with no concept of property, like one of perfect robot agents or something, would be capable of creating wealth through work and not having to sink any of it into enforcing ownership. I mean hell, that's kind of the thing with Communism, right? In a perfect society without notions of property, we could efficiently distribute wealth as required, and so long as no one was an imperfect agent (or at least not very often), then that would be a pretty easy and efficient method of government. It's a perfectly rational economic system borne out of an age in which it seemed to make sense to economic theorists to treat economic agents as perfectly rational spherical cows.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

roomforthetuna posted:

Go on then.

Aha, hiding stuff is an interesting example, and I'm happy to concede that subterfuge is distinct from violence. But if collected, hidden coconuts qualify as wealth, how are non-worked coconuts left on the ground that you know about and other people happen to not know about not equally wealth? Or is your definition of work so loose as to include "becoming aware of the existence of some coconuts" as a kind of work?

This is also falling back to my prior statement that the guy alone on an island of coconuts doesn't have wealth per-se, he just has a comfortable coconutty life. Hidden coconuts are kind of equivalent to coconuts without other people, and as soon as you start trying to leverage them in a more 'wealth' fashion, eg. trading coconuts for herbs, you're making a transition towards something surreptitiously backed with some amount of indirect threat of violence.

But yeah, maybe on a small enough scale and in an environment with little enough scarcity and little enough evident wealth-differential, maybe sometimes a trade can be achieved without any implied threat of violence. Meanwhile, in the real world...

I think hidden coconuts differ from coconuts on the ground in that coconuts on the ground are not gathered in a central location for your (even easier) use, they are also concealed from easy gathering unlike coconuts on the ground, and yes, absolutely part of the work being done here is discovering them; that's part of the work it takes to make use of a coconut.

I do not understand the distinction between people having wealth alone and people having wealth in groups. To me, it makes sense to say a guy living alone with all he needs is very wealthy compared to the girl living without something necessary. The prisoner in solitary with a book is wealthier than the prisoner without any external means of diversion. What I will agree is missing in this case is value; value and wealth seem distinct to me.

I think I have a good motivation for trying to imagine that violence does not back all wealth in the real world, and I think I can justify that motive. My motivation for arguing against violence as the ultimate source of wealth (which again, is a special kind of work, so not totally at odds with what I'm saying) is that it seems to me antithetical to human society. Violence tends to degrade social interactions, whereas trust in a lack of violence tends to form social bonds. This is not to make an ethical argument, by the way - I'm not passing judgment on the morality of institutional violence - I'm just thinking that violence tends to dissolve societies, so it makes a poor basis for an economy. While it is very hard to prove violence is nowhere evident in a complex economy (hence my fallback on coconuts and castaways), perhaps I can make my point by trying to show where wealth arises out of trust or something like that, in a situation where violence would seem an ineffective method of guaranteeing wealth.

When trying to come up with an example of wealth not backed by violence, you have to look outside nations, because nations enforce their currencies and notions of property, and I'd be the first to agree all of that is ultimately backed with threats of violence. It doesn't really matter the type of government in charge; one of the primary purposes of human government in general is provision for the self-defense. I hold that self-defense is tantamount to violence in defense of property; at a minimum, my body is my property and in defending it, I am asserting my right to its wealth (a quick aside: "But Eschat0n, surely the body was not worked for? Is it not an intrinsic source of wealth which is not work?" Eschat0n: "No, for the body was indeed worked for by the parents. We are not jellyfish."). I'm sure I'm not the first to make that argument...

So where can I find wealth outside of nations in a more "realistic" example? Smith wrote The Wealth of Nations, but so far as I am aware no one followed up with The Wealth Outside of Nations. Criminal activity is outside of nations in that the wealth created by it is not protected by national violence, but it seems a poor choice because criminals simply replace institutional violence with their own. Cryptocurrency is a good example, but I think that ultimately it equates to "hiding the coconuts" and I'd like to find a counterexample that doesn't use subterfuge, since I've already given a trivial example of that. I'll focus instead on three examples of "modern" wealth creation that I don't think really rely on violence:

1. Some forms of international trade. Certainly in many cases of international trade there is implicit violence, but sometimes countries with no plausible way of inflicting pain on each other due to geographical distance, lack of pertinent international law, etc., will trade anyway. I think in that case it's really just down to trust and need - if we were to try to reduce this, we would find that functionally they are playing the "cooperation" strategy in a prisoner's dilemma.

2. Discovery. When an economic agent discovers an oil field in international waters, wealth is created by that work (the knowledge of where to go to get oil). Though there are laws which protect this kind of work, they are tenuously enforced in many cases, and wealth seems primarily backed up by who can best utilize it first, or who even has the technological ability to do so.

3. Gratis work. Sometimes people seem to just do things that improve their society without any serious expectation attached. This one is my favorite example - I have a computer at home running OpenWRT. OpenWRT is an extremely valuable program to me; I cannot make it myself, and it does something I need - provide internet to my whole house from a tethered phone - but the license under which it is published is not really enforced - and even if I somehow violated it, it seems highly unlikely I would actually be pursued for it. Yet people make OpenWRT and distribute it, and that wealth spreads throughout the community. I just don't see where violence is involved in that transaction. I don't know why people do this, and I'm too cynical to suppose it's just pure altruism - perhaps it's just part of their self-improvement process (yet if so, why go to the trouble to make it freely available?), or perhaps they get a feeling of accomplishment/do-gooding from it... in any event, the motive is immaterial; the wealth is not.

This is far from making a convincing argument, by the way, that trust (or anything else) underlies all wealth in societies. Right now it's going to just have to be restricted to "it is true that not all wealth derives from violence" because that's just about all I can wrap my head around right now.

Eschat0n fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 7, 2019

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

glowing-fish posted:

Well, your attitude of being curiously naive did seem a bit too much for me. When someone asks questions that show they are trying to "reinvent the wheel" about topics that are covered in a community college Economics 101 or Sociology 101 course, it is kind of natural for me to think that they are not innocently asking questions, but are trying to drive the conversation towards their typical set of beliefs.

Normally, one of the rules of SA is to not dox people (try to reveal their identities), but since you linked your blog (https://leadprophet.blogspot.com/) on your user info page, I think it is fair for me to quote at least part of what you have written on there. Maybe it doesn't reflect your current economic and political views, but you seem to have established some viewpoints at some times:

It might seem unfair for me to quote something you wrote six years ago, but if you already had established views about economics and social policy six years ago, it seems like you already have some ideas you want to explain to us. If you have already decided that standing for the "entrepreneur" and "individualist" are the political goals that a political party should pursue, it is highly disingenuous to pretend that you are still trying to figure out the basics of economics by inventing desert island fables.

Is it within my rights on this forum to ask you to stop posting until you actually want to engage with the topic? You seem to have a serious problem with taking people at their word. You literally quoted me saying "my beliefs are in a state of flux." Six years ago, yes, I had a certain set of ideas - but even more importantly, why does it matter that I had established notions six years ago? I'm not dragging those notions into this conversation - that quote of mine is political in nature, not economical. They are related but separate.

If all you want to establish is that I'm not coming to this conversation ex nihilo... great. Yes. Of course. I'm 33 years old; I have had a few thoughts in my brain before now.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019
As a quick aside, and since my blog was already posted, if anyone is is mystifyingly obsessed with learning more about my preceding thoughts and beliefs, here's a blog post of mine from 2017, which is reasonably recent:

https://leadprophet.blogspot.com/2017/12/big-ideas-about-free-markets-regulation.html

Hopefully that will dispel any further sidetracks about my identity, faith, etc. Please don't comment on its contents here, though. Not wanting to derail the present conversation.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Infinite Karma posted:

To make the coconut analogy make sense, you have to bring in another element. Whether coconuts represent a store of value, or whether they represent literal food that you're going to eat, most definitions of wealth wouldn't include them.

Wealth would be the coconut palms. The palms are necessary to create the coconuts everyone depends on. If nobody owns them, and everybody just gathers the coconuts that naturally fall, the wealth is being shared. As soon as there aren't more coconuts to go around than can be gathered (i.e. scarcity), people are going to be either rushing to gather them first when they fall (or whatever other method is legitimate to claim them), resulting in violence when people disagree (or in passive violence when the passive people starve to death), or they're going to set down rules for who gets what coconuts as they become available. Those rules are ultimately backed by violence as well. The intangible "right" to a portion of what the palms are growing is Wealth - an exclusionary method of accruing coconuts.

If somebody owns the coconut palms, that's the Capitalist definition of Wealth. They get everything the palms produce. Nobody else can gather those particular coconuts, and that kind of ownership is also backed by violence. People without their own coconut palms would have to make a deal with the palm owners to get access to coconuts. The deal would likely be that the owners get some coconuts without having to gather them on their own, in return for giving access to the palms to the non-Wealthy.

Because coconuts can also be planted to grow new palms, there is a chance to create more Wealth. But they need to be planted somewhere, making land, even empty land, valuable. Since land is scarce, you also need rules to decide who gets to use what land to plant coconut palms. Now land is also a form of Wealth, and its ownership is backed by violence. This is turtles all the way down until all the natural resources are claimed. At which point newcomers into the coconut economy who don't already have Wealth at their disposal are at a big disadvantage in the coconut economy. In order to gain any Wealth at all, they have to get the Wealth, instead of just the coconuts, from the people who currently own it. Violence prevents them from working outside the rules of the coconut economy to gain new Wealth. And the violence of needing to consume food and water and shelter to stay alive prevents them from refusing to participate in the coconut economy if they don't think the rules are fair.
I think I basically agree with your conception of the progress of economies, with two caveats. The first is that I want to point out the Capitalist definition of wealth as you formulate it is not my conception of wealth. My conception makes a distinction between objects and the wealth they represent; the difference is in the work it takes to use those objects. Again - owning an asteroid made of solid gold somewhere around Alpha Centauri B doesn't make you wealthy at all. You can't use it; you don't meaningfully own it.

Secondly, when you say "And the violence of needing to consume food and water and shelter to stay alive prevents them from refusing to participate in the coconut economy if they don't think the rules are fair" - I disagree that we can describe the natural state of existence as violence without the word losing its usefulness. It is true that people feel compelled by exigency to participate in economies where they are at a disadvantage - if I'm not mistaken, I'd already brought that up. But it is possible to be "compelled" by forces other than violence. One can feel compelled by compassion, or pity, or hunger, or gravity. Let's not lump all that together under the heading "violence."

Infinite Karma posted:

The examples of finding oil in international waters are disingenuous - there are still rules and laws that govern international ownership. There are still "finders keepers" rules where the first one there gets to lay claim to the resources. Trust is just a shortcut to make transactions backed by violence easier. If you break trust, there are fallback rules, and fallback rules for those rules, because violence is only useful as a threat - when you actually carry it out, nothing is gained. But if someone broke trust enough times, the only thing left to do is remove them from the economy with violence, so they can't further harm the good faith actors. Meeting violence with violence, in order to break the rules without consequence, is the only alternative to the rule of "law backed by violence". Which is, you know, violence.

I don't think I'm being disingenuous; at worst perhaps I am ignorant. If you find a super-valuable alien spaceship crashlanded in antarctica and you get your team there first to pull it out (and you do the work of killing the shapeshifting occupants), then in reality when the dust clears, you've got the death ray technology and everyone else can sue you in international court all they want, but you have the wealth. If you grab that oil you found, agents can make claims to it and sue; they can even try to assert naval power, but sometimes the disputing parties really have no physical way of getting there to stop you, and in the time it takes the courts to resolve the issue you'll have built a platform and sucked all that oil up and sold it. Violence didn't really enter into it because it couldn't be applied; you simply had the technical ability to get there and others didn't. It's an edge case, but it can happen. Even if you don't think it happens on earth (it totally does), you can easily see how this could happen if the USA were to make a concerted effort to colonize Mars.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Land has minimal use value until you produce Worker units to improve the tiles

This loving guy :D

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Helsing posted:

It's not hard to understand, it's just elaborate. You can lampshade this by making self aware jokes about spheres in a vacuum but that doesn't change the fact you're developing your arguments through references to a historically impossible situation. It's incumbent on you to justify why this sprawling desert island metaphor maps onto any real world closely enough that it can actually illuminate a real world situation.

I think that the sentence I've bolded here is really crucial. You are assuming that the best way to understand a complicated real world situation is to begin with an intentionally simplified and abstracted situation. Then we check how our intuitions react to this highly abstract situation and, I guess, later attempt to map these intuitions onto a real world situation so that we can understand the real world situation more clearly.

To some extent it's inevitable that we will abstract situations. I did the same thing in my first post in this thread when I described the process that determines the economic value of a car. However, you're operating on such a high level of abstraction that you've completely exiled the real world and any actual history. You've gone so far into the clouds that there just isn't much applicability to what you're describing. Everything you say is coherent on its own terms but has little to no connection to anything that has ever happened in the actually existing world.
I don't think it's really incumbent on me; I don't think any really compelling reasons have yet been given why you can't think of the coconut island as a good, simple example of real life dynamics in isolation. People have made many a comment thus far to the effect that it is an oversimplification, without producing actual problematizations. I would urge Marxist thinkers who do not willingly step outside of history to try it - you may think that history provides you with critical insight about the real world (and surely it does; that should not be ignored), but from another point of view, it obfuscates the mechanisms of economics in a slurry of coincidental data. There is a reason you do not solely try to do physics by observing the universe; it is imperative to perform experiments as well. Granted that thought experiments are a VERY poor substitute for actual experiments, but "unfortunately" we do care about ethics. I think perhaps computer simulation is underused here... regardless, I want you to take my point: I will not rely solely on history. That might be good enough for you; but for me the arguments I've thus far heard to constrain myself to history are poor. I think that's one of the primary shortcomings with Marxist thought as I have understood it up until now, coming to it as I did first from the standpoint of Marxist critical theory in literature.

Helsing posted:

Notice how whenever you try to discuss wealth it immediately turns into a discussion of how you stake a claim that other people will recognize. You see you keep trying to simplify this process down to the individual level but that is literally impossible because something like 'wealth' only makes sense in the context of a world inhabited by other people. Wealth necessarily involves your ability to control access to a resource. That control inevitably entails some relationship with other people. These relationships are the basis upon which we can seperate some random plot of land from something that counts as 'wealth'.
I'll be honest - I think if you go back you'll see I've provided sufficient examples of how I think my conception of wealth explicitly does not require any society be meaningful. It is a stupidly simple concept - one which is elaborated a great deal when you introduce society - but at its core, it functions without society in a very simple way. I am tying wealth to work specifically in order to escape definitions which rely on social fictions because I think it is quite possible to conceive of wealth outside markets; you're talking about value; I'm talking about something else entirely.

Helsing posted:

Every historical society on earth involves this process of judging different claims to access of resources or of determining who gets to do what with society's available stock of wealth. You need to give us a really good reason why our understanding is somehow improved by ignoring all those real world examples and focusing on one that you invented. Why should we expect the moral intuitions generated by your thought experiment will be a useful guide for understanding a world that has no real resemblance to your metaphor?
I don't think there are necessarily any moral intuitions we should take away from what has been said here thus far. I haven't even got that far yet. Whether people ought to own things or not is not my concern. My own personal intuition is that yes, ownership is justifiable and ethical, but I'm doing my best to leave those intuitions behind for the sake of focusing just on what wealth really is. Perhaps that is too simple for you; you just can't imagine being as stupid as I am; surely, you think, he must have somewhere he is going with this... well, I think I do, but it's not a foray into ethics - at least not yet.

Helsing posted:

So having read what you've posted so far, my biggest question for you is what you're actually trying to accomplish with these musings. This is actually a really important question. Theories exist to help inform us or to guide us in reaching certain conclusions. The kind of understanding we want to achieve has an important influence on how we design our theories.

I ask this because while you have stated that you don't want to talk about the morality of ownership that seems to be the entire point of your thought experiment. This is what I was getting at when I brought up Marx's Labour Theory of Value earlier in the thread. The purpose of Marx's labour theory of value was to help us understand how the capitalist economy works, to reveal the underlying 'laws of motion' that Marx believed would allow us to understand the system and predict some of its behaviours. For Marx, the fact that labour power was the only commodity that could add more value than it cost was a fundamental insight for understanding class conflict as well as the economic cycles of booms and busts. For Marx and his followers the labour theory of value can actually be used to predict future economic events.

My issue with your wealth = work theory is that it doesn't seem to be designed to actually make any predictions or tell us anything novel. You just seem to be restating things we already know but giving them a new interpretation. Let's say we completely accept your definition of wealth = work, so what? What actually changes? How would this lead us to view the world different? What does this help us predict or understand?

I ask this because it seems like the only real purpose of your theory would be to tell us whether someone's ownership of something is ethically justified. It's very much in the tradition of Locke arguing that the origin of property is when we "mix our labour" with the natural world. This is a normative theory about justifying uneven distributions of resources by arguing that those uneven distributions are the result of justified hard work by the haves and slothful indolence by the have nots. Other than that the theory doesn't really tell us anything - it doesn't seem to give us any way of understanding the world, it merely offers an interpretation of the world that happens to justify a particular distribution of resources.
I take issue with your attempt to separate wealth from value. Again I have to ask, what's the actual value of holding them as separate things? What's the objective of your theory of wealth? What is it going to help you do or understand better? It seems like for most of these questions it'd be more precise to examine "value" than "wealth", not least of all because value lends itself to objective measurement somewhat more easily than wealth does.
Yeah, I'm glad you identified this. I think this is the crux of our misunderstanding. What am I really trying to do? What does it mean to say work = wealth? I fully agree it's a super-important question. Why even bother saying it at all, if it means nothing, entails nothing? Absolutely, and it was wrong of me to start this thread without extrapolating a little to make it more interesting than incendiary. Since I'm a new poster here I was trying to err on the side of not being long-winded; previous venues in places like 4chan didn't reward that kind of behavior. I'll have to unlearn that.

I think that Marx has it specifically wrong about labor's power; it does NOT add more wealth than it cost; it is itself a pure, raw sort of wealth; the potentiality of the human worker to make anything. What we choose to spend our time on is necessarily expending a tremendous opportunity cost; we are exchanging parts of our lives for a specific work which can never repay the time and effort which was put into it. To me, work cannot escape the arrow of time; to create local reductions in entropy one must accept greater increases across the whole of the system. You will never get out more than you put in. Marx may be right that labor still retains more wealth than other forms of capital because it is closer to the raw potential prior to its expenditure - that I grant him; that may help explain the predictive power of his analysis. But to presume human work actually turns back the clock of time and inexorably heats the engine of Progress is pure Industrial fancy, ignorant of the laws of the universe which constrain all human endeavor.

This is not a mere observation without implication; this speaks to us about sustainability and the influence of the human condition on the economy. I think it should force us to acknowledge that harmonious economic systems are not possible without tremendous human sacrifice, which is why we have not historically had them. People will not usually willingly throw away their satisfaction for the good of the group; that impression is the downfall of communism. My formulation of wealth predicts the exact problem with command economy experiments of the 20th and 21st centuries which manifested itself. Ironically, the traditional societies which socialist experiments often blew away in search of a better tomorrow may well have provided the social bonds needed to induce people to sacrifice more readily for the good of the group; to see group success as more important than their own individual success... but that's a conversation for another time.

This is not about denying the importance, by the way, of sustainable economies. To the contrary; achieving sustainability is all the more critical once one acknowledges the fundamental inequality at the base of human endeavor and the real, tragic, irreversible damage that is done to the commons in the course of typical human economic activity. But people should not go into that fight blind to what awaits them; as wealth is work and does not return to us what we put into it, we will not have sustainability without giving up a great deal. Sacrifice is imperative, however impossible it may be to ethically compel a populace to embrace it. I would go so far as to say that this problem may even represent the Great Filter figured in the Fermi Paradox. The capitalist says we can spend and enjoy without real consequence, but the socialist says we can spend and enjoy without real consequence as well - only so long as we follow their opposing recipes for economic well-being. Only the realist says you'll have to sometimes forgo children, or yachts, or strip malls, or life-saving medicines, because there is a fundamental inequality at the bottom of the system we live in. No one's interested in getting by when the promise of fabulous prosperity for all is supposedly on the table. So the charade continues: no taxes! universal basic income! It keeps getting better and better while the world burns. There's no attempt by me here to come up with a better alternative, by the way; that's why it's not worth crowing about as much as it might sound like it; that's a thought for another time as well, if and when I feel like my basic understanding of economics is on-point.

People make a great deal out of value; but take away the market and replace it with a pure communist society run by angels; you'd still have wealth (equitably distributed). Value, however, would be absent, because there is no trade to be made; each and all have what they need, and if some inequality should arise, the balance will be restored by the benevolent bureaucratic class. But that wealth would still not be without its costs; to the world and the workers who produced it from the world; the system from which it was taken. The trick of sustainability would still haunt such a perfect society, even with value totally absent. That's why I think it's worth separating wealth and value.

Typo posted:

ok is op basically just reaching the conclusion property rights only exist insofar a state exists to enforce it?
No, and I think you know by this point in the conversation you're being reductive to the point of humor or snark. But be that as it may, I'll point out again that I fully accept this is what obtains in Nation-states. No argument there. I'm adding to that thought, however, the notion that since nation-states are constructions and not natural phenomena, it's worth poking deeper into the idea of wealth than that.

Eschat0n fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 12, 2019

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Moon Shrimp posted:

In Marxist terms, what you're referring to as wealth is access to use-values. Use-values are specific things that can be used to satisfy your needs or wants. Use-values can be obtained from nature, or bought, or produced from the labor of your serfs and/or slaves. So with this definition you can be wealthy by living in natural abundance, or by being rich and having access to a market than can provide all of your necessary use-values, or by owning a Roman latifundia.

The reason why people are insisting that wealth is connected to violence is because the distribution of access to use-values in a society is rarely even, and the threat of violence can be used to keep people in their place.

I actually agree with you, though, that this is not necessarily the case. Convincing people that this uneven distribution is fair is a far more powerful, subtle, and effective way of maintaining things, and boiling everything down to the threat of violence is reductive.

Yeah, perhaps wealth is too freighted a term. I'd be OK with calling it use-values, I think.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Helsing posted:

Nothing in your post comes even close to hinting at an answer to this question.

Do you really think it's never occurred to anyone that good things in life require human effort? Did you really need an elaborate thought experiment about coconuts to tell you this?
I hope it occurs to you that simple assertions aren't arguments, and nothing in the post above constitutes anything other than hostility and a lovely straw man.

When you equate wealth/use-value with work, then you can couple economics with physics and see how sustainable economies will never produce widespread prosperity because of systemic constraints.

The coconuts were not necessary, strictly-speaking. We could have tried to discuss this in abstractions alone; sorry I didn't construct my argument according to your specifications... that doesn't make it wrong, however.

Liquid Communism posted:

'What is wealth, I just don't know?' asks the guy with a a several paragraph critique of Marx and how command economies got it wrong. I begin to think, sir, that you are arguing under false pretenses.
To be fair, the thread is long and I can forgive you for not reading it all up to this point. But if you had, you'd see that my first thought was not to bring my thoughts about Marx into the mix. As I'd also made clear earlier when people were questioning whether I was arguing under false pretenses, I have had thoughts about economics from time to time in my life prior to this conversation. I even went so far as to briefly derail to discuss my stupid blog, which contained several posts touching on economics at length. No one here, least of all me, should be claiming that I don't have prior opinions.

Do you understand the difference between opinions and convictions, though? I'm not sure about any of this. But discussion is not simply a process of folks coming in here and telling me how it is, and me rolling over immediately. I'm going to have questions and counterpoints; I'm going to want people to more thoroughly provide counterexamples which make more sense than mine.

Thus far it has been a pretty lovely experience, with most people mocking me, accusing me of false pretenses, making jabs at my background, or providing pretty poor critiques of my position that show they're not really paying attention to what's been said or are just as in the dark as I am.

However, there have been a few bright points - some things I've been forced to be more clear about, or even admit I'm wrong in:

- I think people have done a good point so far of showing me that "wealth" is probably not the word I want to try to redefine. What I'm really thinking of is some term that would describe the transition of manipulations of our environment to make it better for us - something we use economies to accomplish and promote, but terms like "value" and "wealth" are already used to mean things different from that, so probably not a good idea for me to continue using that word. At this point I'm kind of stuck because I've used it from the beginning, so people coming in will think I've completely diverged if I stop using the word suddenly, but if I were doing this thread over again I'd use a different term.

- Ownership is a concept I won't be able to separate from what I'm thinking about, mostly because of how much work goes into defining ownership in modern economies. Does that constitute wasted/inefficient work, or does ownership have a useful place in economies? These are questions I thought I could avoid, but they're tightly coupled with thinking about the meaning of work in economies. At some point we'll need to circle back to these and elaborate on them more if the conversation continues.

- It seems more and more apparent that it was also wrong to call this thread an economics thread. What I'm really talking about is a predication of economics; a process of human life. I do still think understanding this predicate is really crucial for understanding economics rightly, though.

I don't think it's right to say I came to a debate and discussion board in bad faith when I am debating, discussing, and acknowledging where I think others have made their points convincingly. Please don't crucify me just because I think some argument remains here (and have given my reasons why).

Eschat0n fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 12, 2019

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

roomforthetuna posted:

I say this too. It looks like you were explaining why in your view wealth != value, but you ended up explaining wealth = stuff, not wealth = work.

Honestly, your coconut example does the most to undermine your wealth = work premise, especially when you're arguing the premise doesn't require a society, because in the absence of competition for a coconut, a coconut on the ground under a tree is, if anything, better than a coconut in your coconut pile that you've assembled. If you've put all the coconuts in a pile you have to walk all the way to your pile to get a coconut, but if they're all just sitting where they fall then wherever you are on the island there's a coconut a few feet away.

Doing work on the coconuts is actively reducing the 'wealth' of the solo man. Unless your definition of wealth is literally just "things you have done work upon", which we can't know because you're making a new definition of the word that doesn't match common usage, and then not even actually defining it. Look upon my wealth of holes I dug, and my equal wealth of holes I filled in again, now I have twice the wealth!

Well at least now we agree the coconut thing is worth talking about. I think you're hostile to my idea for some unexpressed reason, however, because the quality of your criticism here is really, really low. If you gather the coconuts up, the pile isn't going to be in some far place - it's going to be near to where you usually are, of course! If you're a bronze age farmer you don't just leave your wheat in the field until you need it - you gather it up, because it's very convenient for you to have it in your granary. It would suck to have to go everywhere on the island to get the most out of its coconut crop. It would also help with things like taking inventory. Like, personally, if I were stranded on a desert island, I would totally gather my coconuts, not leave them on the ground. It seems pretty worthwhile to me.

The holes thought experiment (see guys, these are useful!) is worth considering; obviously not all work is equal. Some work is downright useless. I have to add the word "useful" to my definition; wealth = useful work. That's a dangerous thing to do for me; usefulness is dependent on who is measuring it, isn't it? I was thinking about this earlier. I might have to say something pretty convoluted, like "wealth (or use-value) is the measure of all the use that can be got out of work done by any agent or agents which can interact with the work or its products."

To the first thing you said: wealth is stuff to me in the sense that it takes work to make that stuff. It's one step of separation from the true source of the stuff's usefulness, so it's not an atomic statement to say wealth is stuff, nor does it capture the use of the work done in immaterial realms like software.

Eschat0n fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 12, 2019

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Infinite Karma posted:

Wealth = work is just a bizarre conclusion to draw.

The whole point of wealth (as commonly understood) is that it gives you stuff/value without work. Maybe you had to work for the wealth originally, but wealth functions like a replacement for your own labor after you have it. The difference between wealth and "stored work" is that wealth can generate more work-value than was originally used to create it... so if you're using it correctly, you only ever use the surplus work-value, and never tap into the principal work-value.

Certainly wealth can be used to get a certain kind of work done that, for various reasons, you'd rather not/cannot do yourself. Markets exist to facilitate this transaction. But I don't think anyone is going to trade you something that they could get by working for instead, so you're only ever going to get less work out of that agent than the work you put into whatever it is you're offering.

A guy makes hammers. Another guy makes shirts. The guy with the shirt would like a hammer, but he doesn't have any stones, so he's gonna have to get one from the hammer guy. Luckily, he lives in an economy with currency, so he sells some shirts, gets some currency, and buys the hammer. But nobody's buying a shirt off this guy if it costs the same as the work it would take for them to make the shirt themselves; he's going to have to sell to people for whom it would take more work than him to make the shirt. That's fine as far as it goes; these people exist, so he has consumers. But those people bought it with money they got for selling other goods or services; transactions which also were subject to the same considerations. At the base of it, at some point, people are making money by doing work, and the only difference between them doing the work and the person paying them for doing the work is that the person paying could totally do the work themselves, but they just don't want to spend their time that way; though it would take an equivalent amount of time no matter who did it. The only way that kind of agent makes money is by selling their work for less than it is really worth; they're getting screwed (or you could say this is the cost of entry into the currency economy; elsewise those agents would be better off not participating at all - and certainly with people who have no way to really make the most of their time, you see them opt out of economies; that's often seen as criminality in nation-states). And that inequality goes on up the chain of transactions, back to the shirt guy. The hammer is worth more to him than the shirts he sold to get it, sure - he's done less work than if he made the hammer himself - but in order for that to work, someone somewhere had to get screwed.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019
I think it's pretty clear by now I hosed up the start of this thread - even if you agree with me in some vague sense, you'd still have to admit I wasn't rigorous enough for this crowd. And I actually appreciate that; there are places for shooting the poo poo; this is not one of them. I don't really care to defend my original idea anymore as it just isn't rigorous enough to defend; being super vague (and, some would argue, super-vacuous), it's just about as difficult to accurately defend as it is to accurately attack, if not moreso, and in the end we do a disservice to each other to continue arguing when really the other side feels we're just talking past them or not really understanding what was originally meant. When you start thinking that people who were previously pretty good raconteurs are suddenly attacking strawmen of your position, or that in general the critiques of your position attack things you're pretty sure you already answered, then the problem is probably not with your critics, but with the way you've argued or what it is you're arguing about - or both. I hosed up.

I think the question posed is still worth continuing discussion over, unconnected with my bad initial attempt at answering it. There were also some really good points in the conversation that followed, which have lead me to think it would be worth trying to formulate my thoughts again, differently (with less coconuts and vagueness, this time). Obviously if this makes you groan, perhaps just let the thread die. I still find the conversation interesting; I still find the people here interesting to talk to, never mind the abrasion; that comes with the territory to a certain extent.

Question:
What is wealth? And, over the course of the argument, it was increasingly clear to me that while I am interested in wealth, there are some pretty decent extant answers to that word's definition. I particularly thought the idea of defining it using the Marxian concept of "use-value" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_value) made sense to me, anyway:

"Whatever its social form may be, wealth always consists of use-values, which in the first instance are not affected by this form."
A Contribution to the Critique of Political Economy (1859) (excerpt from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_value#Marx's_definition)

Use-value, as he said:
"...inheres in the intrinsic characteristics of a product that enable it to satisfy a human need or want."
The Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_value#Origin_of_the_concept)

And to further elaborate:
"A thing can be a use value, without having value. This is the case whenever its utility to man is not due to labour. Such are air, virgin soil, natural meadows, &c. A thing can be useful, and the product of human labour, without being a commodity. Whoever directly satisfies his wants with the produce of his own labour, creates, indeed, use values, but not commodities. In order to produce the latter, he must not only produce use values, but use values for others, social use values. (And not only for others, without more. The mediaeval peasant produced quit-rent-corn for his feudal lord and tithe-corn for his parson. But neither the quit-rent-corn nor the tithe-corn became commodities by reason of the fact that they had been produced for others. To become a commodity a product must be transferred to another, whom it will serve as a use value, by means of an exchange.) Lastly nothing can have value, without being an object of utility. If the thing is useless, so is the labour contained in it; the labour does not count as labour, and therefore creates no value."
Capital: A Critique of Political Economy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_value#Marx's_definition)

That's a nicely nuanced view which:
Q1) Makes a connection between work/labor and the product of that labor even when separate from any market.
Q2) Defines wealth as opposed to value, and the relationship between them.
Q3) Recognizes how wealth is elaborated on when it enters into social use as opposed to its relatively simple existence in the hands of an individual.
Q4) Contravenes my original conception of wealth by including in its scope the unimproved natural world wherever it can be used by humans.
Q5) Seems to assume the ownership of a person's labor belongs to that person (I'm basing this on the weak fact the translator has written "...his own labor..." in the quote above - a linguistic construction which assumes one may rightly call labor performed by one's self one's own), but otherwise steers about as clear of ownership as it can. Unless the translation is bad, I think this is a pretty safe interpretation because I think you'd have to get into the denial of your own person as belonging to you in order to deny the implicit claim that your own labor belongs to you!

And I'd adopt all of the above for myself, except that I have some reservations about Q4 - that statement is not intuitive to me. In fact, although I haven't read Marx as much as I obviously should, it almost seems an off-hand inclusion by him, at least in the quote above; a quick example, not meant for close examination. My intuitive rejection of this is to go back to the idea of a giant gold asteroid sitting in orbit around Proxima Centauri - yes, it would be very useful for people to have, and it is not improved, but it has no meaningful use-value. You have to be able to use it, don't you? I'm not even sure Marx would disagree with this, given he doesn't seem to think any of this contravenes his contention that use-values require a quality of usefulness.

So my slightly-modified answer to the question "What is wealth" is mostly (perhaps completely?) Marx's:

Wealth always consists of accessible use-values.

And I shouldn't just stop there, because answering the question is fairly meaningless unless it entails falsifiable predictions. Essentially, we ask the naturally following question: "so what?"

Hypothesis/Elaboration:
So what? So, wealth arises out of useful human effort, except when by chance the accessible natural world is also useful. Wealth creation is a physical process - people must do something (think, write, saw, mine, etc) to generate it, except when the natural world provides it. But the natural world itself is also a process; its entropy increases over time, system-wide.
Wealth creation, by its nature, entails an increase in entropy system-wide, in exchange for a local decrease in entropy (useful work). Its destruction does the same; entropy is created. Economies are arbiters of this creation of entropy at social scales, and the efficiency of an economy could be measured in the ratio at which entropy is created vs wealth - granting that economies deal with wealth only indirectly, mediated by the concept of value.

The economy's primary concern - the reason it exists - is to make use-values accessible; attributes of an economy which restrict accessibility, like ownership, monopoly, unrealistic valuations, etc. reduce its efficiency and therefore its purpose. It should therefore be recognized that arguments in favor of anything that will reduce economic efficiency are ethical arguments, with the exception of arguments arising out of sustainability concerns. The unique position of arguments about reducing economic efficiency for the sake of sustainability comes from any kind of disagreement about how efficiency is measured over time. Arguments about sustainability are attempting to determine how to maximize wealth over time by minimizing entropy - sometimes at the expense of wealth generation within a subset of that time. Ethical beliefs may be the backing of such arguments, but they need not be.

Ethical concerns about the economy may well be valid, but are not strictly economical concerns; they would derive their importance from outside the discipline. It should be noted, however, that ethical concerns may impinge on the efficiency of the economy in unexpected ways; for example, if the economy makes people unhappy enough, it could result in economic collapse as participants refuse to cooperate, leading to widespread abandonment. This would lead to a much lower state of efficiency than if those people were kept to some minimum of happiness (assuming happiness were necessarily detrimental to efficiency, which is by no means part of the hypothesis).

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it could be expected that economies which efficiently make use-values accessible may not be favored by participants acting for greedy reasons; individuals or groups can and do act to reduce economic efficiency so that use-values remain theirs, whether because of an insufficient supply or a desire to control the economy by artificially withholding wealth. Not an argument from sustainability or ethics, these actors probably represent a simple drain on the efficiency of the economy; they are an anti-economy; a parasite, in various degrees. For ethical reasons it may be desirable to continue including these parasites, but there couldn't be any economic justification.

A final note about arguments from imperfect knowledge and scale: Arguments about how to conduct an efficient economy which would restrict its efficiency in favor of some other behavior due to imperfect knowledge of what is happening in the economy may proceed from concerns about sustainability or ethics, or both. Certainly much in an economy is unknown; and it is expected this will result in inefficiencies both intended and unintended.

Similarly, arguments about the appropriate scale of an economy are particularly interesting insofar as efficiency fluctuates with scale - and so does knowledge. From a Distributist (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributism) point of view, it might make sense to restrict scale at the cost of efficiency for the sake of improved knowledge of the economy, if the exchange rate were acceptable - the answer to which might vary over time according to the sustainability of the economic system in question. Scale also raises other questions - since larger scales typically mean increased access to natural wealth not previously accessible - and this increases the economic efficiency greatly, at least in the short term. Whether such rapid expansionism would be more efficient in the long term than a slower growth which reduced ignorance and unfortunately also efficiencies of scale is to me an open question.

Assumptions:
I think given the level of rigor expected, assumptions should be clearly and separately stated so they can be referred to, attacked, or supported more easily. It seems to me there are a few so far:

A1) My interpretation of Marx's use-values is correct.
A2) Ownership of labor belongs, at first at least (e.g. naturally), to the laborer. I'll separate that one out from A1 because I'm making a tenuous interpretation which I personally agree with and I'm not sure if it's really Marx's.
A3) You can't get work out of entropy.
A4) Probably something else that someone will point out; I'll post it here when it is pointed out.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Luckily I think most of what you say here is just quibbles; we can agree, perhaps? The use-value of a thing probably already incorporates what you term "use-cost" - that is, we are asked to consider the use-value of a thing, keeping in mind things like what it would take to improve it to usefulness.

When I talk about entropy I'm trying to place human work into the broader context of energy exchanges in physical processes in general - I'm talking about the kind of entropy you think of in physics class. I'm glad you bring up agriculture in this context, because I think agriculture's real contribution (and I don't think this is actually very controversial to say) is the massive efficiency bonus it confers on societies practicing it. The amount of work it takes to hunt and gather seems to be a major hurdle for societies to overcome; there's a boundary of civilizational complexity that doesn't seem to be attainable, historically-speaking, until you can find some way to harness nature's own growth (this would include pastoral activities like shepherding) as an efficiency "hack," for lack of a better term. And this is perhaps the first major question humanity has ever had to face vis a vis sustainability vs efficiency, because hunter-gatherer societies aren't efficient enough to support large populations, they counter-intuitively end up being pretty sustainable compared to agricultural societies which tend to wear out their land, practice monoculture, and feature large populations. Obviously during the periods in which any historical civilization had to make that transition it never was really presented as a choice per se, but looking back on it now there are those extreme luddites who say "maybe this whole crops thing was a bad idea," because they're intuiting that maybe more wealth will be got out of the system in the long run via a hunter-gatherer approach with small populations and low impact.

I think your heat counterexample is just misunderstanding what heating a building or food is really doing. When you raise the heat in a localized area like a building or in food, you're actually creating a temperature gradient with the ambient level, which constitutes a reduction in local entropy - useful work could conceivably be got out of that. Not so with entropy.

I'm really not clear on where you're going with the Emperor Bezos vs free economy thing. In your example the use-values are only temporarily taken from others; later they are returned, with interest. Investment does not constitute a reduction in economic efficiency; quite the contrary - as you pointed out. But that also makes Emperor Bezos not the kind of slimeball I had in mind. Superrich people in general who are investing their wealth and driving it into economies generally don't fit the bill of "parasite" - but Comcast and AT&T, which actively fight municipal fiber internet buildout in the USA (just for one small example), definitely does - they're expending their wealth and efforts simply to keep coaxial last mile connections relevant by militantly enforcing pole access rules - preventing access to a type of use-value that almost certainly isn't properly valued in their stocks and therefore can't even theoretically be driven back into the economy.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Unfortunately that's not how entropy works. Just because heat is created in the vicinity, and heat is the lowest form of energy, doesn't mean that local entropy has increased. If you burn a log for warmth the entropy of the log increases, but the heat gradient in the vicinity of the log goes up. It's very easy to see how entropy goes up system-wide in that example; less easy to see where it goes down. In fact, it may make more sense to you if we just drop the "local" vs "system" distinction: the important thing is the process of transferring some of the energy bound up in the chemical composition of the log into the temperature of the air around it; the air's entropy goes down; the log's entropy goes up (by much more than the air's goes down). To see this must be true, consider that we get work out of steam engines - you couldn't if heat gradients didn't constitute a reduction in entropy in some medium. Similarly, you can get almost no work out of the void of deep space, where heat energy is spread at a very slight gradient - that's a high degree of entropy.

That entropy works this way - and that you see that it works this way - is crucial to my definition of wealth and the way I see economies. If work could be had from processes which did not increase entropy somewhere, then we would be able to say that in some cases wealth can literally equal entropy, and that would mean sustainability would not necessarily be a concern - just increase entropy all you want and end up with endless wealth. Nothing I've said makes sense unless all wealth creation constitutes a reduction in entropy somewhere - even with things like thinking up new behaviors, like Kanban (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanban), which arguably constitutes an increase in wealth in and of itself, we must imagine that the electrochemical structures of the thinker's brain have been restructured to represent a slightly lower entropy state than before the thought was formed.

As for the parasite thing... I've thought a lot about what you've said, and I think I know why you and I seem to disagree here, when in fact I don't think we do. First of all you're completely correct: a selfish agent can end up beneficial to an economy. If you look at the way capitalist economies are structured, they rely on this fact, of course. To really be a parasite, simple greed is not enough. You must not only be greedy, but greedy, unable to use further wealth, and unwilling to give it away. You must be, in essence, a wealth sink for the economy, taking wealth out of it - maybe even irrevocably destroying it, to be completely unjustifiable. So your idea of a parasite isn't necessarily a parasite to me. Whether the actual Jeff Bezos is an upstanding economic participant is kind of outside the scope of what I've been talking about so far, which is just establishing some outer bounds of reasonable economic behavior. No doubt there are plenty of people who would technically not count as parasites who I might still find morally repugnant enough to want to keep them from participating in any economy with me, or ones whose behavior seems ill-suited to the kind of economy I want to be in. I don't want to get into the nitty- gritty yet because I think there's an important implication to all that I've said which has yet to be expressed in terms that ought to bother many of the readers of this thread, and provoke more discourse than there has been so far.

That is, when you have economies of different efficiencies competing against each other, you have a sort of destructive race which might occur: if you can produce a lot of wealth now at the cost of sustainability, then you can potentially overpower economies that might generate more wealth in the long run. That's the nightmare of the distributist like me; how to create a sustainable economy when it's just not competitive with less sustainable economies which might outcompete it and, through various mechanisms, lead to its destruction? More broadly nightmarish for all of us: how do you get economies to slow down and prevent climate change when they may all view such a move as deadly for their continued survival?

There are also other avenues to go down with this discussion, like whether the only resource that really matters is humans (and we ought to be sucking up immigrants and promoting reproduction like crazy, or whether there's something more sane to do), which the theory touches on, but we can probably only go down one of those paths at a time in conversation...

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

WampaLord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwJM4sJb4yU

Would you just drop your nuclear hot take that you've been clearly itching to get out since you started this thread and stop with all this pointless blather about wealth and coconuts?

I imagine it's something like "billionaires are cool and good" but with a million more :words: to convince yourself that you're a really smart bootlicker. Loved the diversion into "well, technically" about entropy in a thread presumably about economics, that was a real nice touch to make yourself seem smart.

Jesus christ, have you read literally anything I've written?

This forum is extremely paranoid.

EDIT: I'll just come out and say it because I'm so done with this: unless someone is going to convince me otherwise, I don't anticipate ever making the argument that billionaires are in any way necessary. They're really such a small part of the problem I'm trying to illuminate that they don't matter to me. At the most, someone might show me why I should think they are much more of a problem than I think they are - and that's something I'm guessing someone will at least attempt at some point, given how much mental energy here is clearly directed toward them. But arguing that they are in some way anything better than a minor speed bump in the great entropic trend of all economies? No.

Eschat0n fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 19, 2019

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

roomforthetuna posted:

Steam engines don't do anything with heat gradients. They use chemical energy to produce a pressure difference, via heat, but it's not to do with a heat gradient. It is possible to extract energy from a temperature difference, but steam engines aren't doing that. (At least, not a temperature difference across space - a temperature difference across time is what provokes a pressure change.)

Which is somewhat beside the point - the log is pretty drat local, it's an item inside the user's micro-economy, so heating a thing by burning a log is, you've basically admitted, increasing entropy in the log-owner's micro-economy. The idea that it can generate entropy-defined wealth because you decreased some even more local entropy by the power of a shifting goalpost is silly again, the same way that work-on-a-coconut was silly and led to a similar shifting goalpost as you were reluctant to release the idea.

Could you explain why you brought entropy into the topic in the first place? It seems like it was a completely unnecessary appendage that you've now grown strangely attached to.

Once you get to that extreme of a definition, it's probably a thing that no longer exists, or at least is not readily identifiable.

But yes, we are in disagreement on what a parasite is. I would consider landlords, politicians and Bezoses to be parasites, because they extract wealth disproportionate to their own efforts from other people's efforts. I consider all of them to be probably detrimental to an economy - though not detrimental to a GDP, the current socially accepted measure of an economy's success as decided by politicians and Bezoses.

For the sake of getting to your point, I'm willing to adopt "uberparasite" as a term to refer to a complete wealth-destroying parasite, and then agree with your premise that uberparasites are unjustifiable.

That sounds like the most interesting part, the "why are you saying these things" part; it seems strange to withhold it. I suppose the idea is to get people to first accept your axioms before trying to argue for your conclusions.

If the entropy thing is a necessary axiom this is going to be problematic, but if that was just a passing train of thought that you could drop, I think I've sufficiently accepted the rest of your axioms that we could move on to what's wrong with the conclusions. :D

Sigh... steam engines absolutely do rely on temperature gradients.

How to steam engine:
1. Get liquid state water (that's one temperature)
2. Put water into strong container
3. Burn fuel near container (that's another temperature)
4. Water becomes steam, expands, creates pressure
5. Steam pressure moves mechanism to extract work out of steam

None of that is ever going to happen if you put water that's the same temperature as the burning fuel into the container (e.g. STEAM), because no pressure will be created. So yes, there's a temperature difference in the system.

And yes, this 100% crucial for my argument.

And holy poo poo, if you're going to make me change my terms so that you don't have to change yours - OK, fine. "Uberparasites" it is. And sure, maybe uberparasites don't exist. As I already mentioned, they're an outer limit, an extreme. I don't take them as the beginning of irrational behavior - they're the end of it. We can get more specific about what's rational economic behavior later on - though as you've said, economies are pretty drat complex and when knowledge of the system is imperfect it becomes difficult to see what's acceptable. From what I gather that's pretty much the gist of laissez-faire economic policy; since those who could control the economy (e.g. the govt) have imperfect knowledge of their own economy, the best they can do is let nature have its way and try their best not to trip it up on its merry way.

An aside to try to establish my socialist bona fides, since that seems to be the preoccupation of so many of you: right now my position is that capitalism is the natural economic state. People who want to argue for pure capitalism are making the same error as people who want to try to argue for moral systems built on observations of nature - if you take nature as your model of what is good, then you can't reasonably conclude there are any rules to make, least of all those which try to enforce some supposed natural state, because the systems which have evolved in human societies are themselves extensions of that natural system; we are natural creatures. Anyone who wants any rules at all - especially rules that say "there are no rules," is making a tacit admission that in fact they do not think the natural world is a good model to follow, eroding the very basis for their own arguments. If you let things run their natural course, you will get tyrants, monopolies, poverty, etc. To talk about economic policy at all, we have to first admit that we would rather not model our economies after the natural world; we want to construct an artificial system that will distribute wealth more effectively/ethically than that. That is to say, we are all arguing for controlled economies to different extents; ideally we'd be able to completely control an economy so that it never did what we didn't want it to do and we got exactly what we expected out of it. The differences between our positions are only a matter of morals and knowledge. My personal moral system is fundamentally based on roman catholicism, among a few other things, and when catholics are being real with themselves, they have pretty socialist instincts about stuff like wealth redistribution. My instincts therefore trend toward socialism as it is understood today in Europe and the Americas all the time.

OK, to return to some of your questions, some of these I thought I'd already answered:

quote:

Could you explain why you brought entropy into the topic in the first place?
"When I talk about entropy I'm trying to place human work into the broader context of energy exchanges in physical processes in general"

quote:

the "why are you saying these things" part; it seems strange to withhold it
I didn't withhold it; it was the two paragraphs directly following that part you read:

quote:

That is, when you have economies of different efficiencies competing against each other, you have a sort of destructive race which might occur: if you can produce a lot of wealth now at the cost of sustainability, then you can potentially overpower economies that might generate more wealth in the long run. That's the nightmare of the distributist like me; how to create a sustainable economy when it's just not competitive with less sustainable economies which might outcompete it and, through various mechanisms, lead to its destruction? More broadly nightmarish for all of us: how do you get economies to slow down and prevent climate change when they may all view such a move as deadly for their continued survival?

There are also other avenues to go down with this discussion, like whether the only resource that really matters is humans (and we ought to be sucking up immigrants and promoting reproduction like crazy, or whether there's something more sane to do), which the theory touches on, but we can probably only go down one of those paths at a time in conversation...

quote:

we could move on to what's wrong with the conclusions. :D
lol, carry on then ^_^

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

MixMastaTJ posted:

The entropy of any isolated system can only ever increase. If a system's entropy decreases the entropy outside the system must increase by an equal or greater amount. So where do you wanna call the edge of our system? If it's a room, where an individual burns logs for warmth, the individual has reduced the possible configurations of molecules within the room by converting the bonds keeping the logs solid into heat energy. This INCREASES entropy.

If we, for some reason, consider the logs "outside" the system, then yes, burning them adds energy into the room and increases potential configurations of energy/particle distribution in the room, reducing entropy. Entropy outside the room (where the logs are burned) is increased by at least that amount.

By your definition the only way for the world economy to increase wealth is harvesting resources from space through agriculture, solar technology or some kind of hypothetical space mining.

You have it exactly right. If you thought I was saying something different from what you just said above, then I just hadn't made myself clear.

And as far as wealth creation goes - don't forget: I'm saying work creates use-values, so you must increase entropy to get wealth. Even bringing stuff in from space will only ever decrease entropy in the local system as we define it. Universally, entropy still increases.

To take this to a ludicrous place, if the reachable universe is finite (that is to say, we never develop FTL), then there's a real sense in which there's a maximum cap on wealth. If you had magical nanobots that could convert all reachable matter (including, potentially, some live humans) into wealth, including themselves after the fact, you'd have maximized wealth.

That's really a fairly trivial thing to say. I'm trying to say it so I can elevate the importance of sustainability in my model of economics, trying to come to grips with the problem our world is facing right now - how to beat unsustainable economies that outproduce more sustainable economies in the short term, sort of like how fast-growing poplar trees can shade out slow-growing cedars, die out, and leave a barren ground instead of a forest twenty years on. I view that as a fundamental, critical problem we either solve or go extinct as a civilization trying.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Can you skip to the bit where you explain the point rather than talking about coconuts and entropy?

As soon as you actually read what's been written you'll find all your wishes have been granted, darling.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

roomforthetuna posted:

Sigh no, you could make a steam engine using microwaves, in which there'd be no different temperature outside the pressure chamber (or even the opposite different temperature once the water starts to heat up, and it wouldn't make your turbine turn backwards). You could put some radioactive material in the tank. It's not about the temperature gradient between locations, it's about the temperature change over time. It just happens that the easiest way to provoke that change is temperature being transferred from a nearby location.

Holy poo poo it's not "my terms" it's just normal loving language. You're using words that have a meaning people will understand, and then when I point out how your statement is incorrect you redefine the words to mean some other meaning that isn't what people will understand so that your statement can remain correct. The least you can do is gracefully accept using a different word to distinguish the post-hoc specialization of the word, don't act like it's me that's being unreasonable!

Perhaps I should have asked the "why" on this one then, which is the question I'm trying to get at. What point are you trying to make using entropy? So far it hasn't seemed necessary or relevant to any other point.

Oh, reading it again I see why I (and at least one other person) was confused - "I don't want to get into the nitty-gritty yet" sounded like you weren't going to talk about the thing, but you were saying you don't want to go into detail about thing A (opinions about economic ethics) because thing B is more interesting, and then followed with thing B. Sorry about that.

So yeah, I agreed with the two subsequent paragraphs, but I don't see how they follow from any of the set-up, or why any of the set-up was necessary. It certainly didn't seem to have much to do with entropy.
("Agreed with" is perhaps a bit strange since it was mostly questions, but y'know, agreed with the relevance of the questions.)

I'm extremely tempted to just set up an entire separate debate thread for you and me to discuss how wrong you are about steam engines, but instead I'll just post the link to Wikipedia about what steam engines are and let you argue with that definition if you like: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_engine. Protip: read the first drat sentence: "A steam engine is a heat engine that performs mechanical work using steam as its working fluid."

No, your linguistic pedantry is just a refusal to accept what I say without loving with it in some sense so that you can come off as having "corrected" me. I suspect that most other people would have no problem with my usage of the term parasite in the sense that I used it. Coming up with novel terms to describe particular senses of more common terms is useful when you're going to be referring to it at length later on and don't want to keep having to make clear the sense in which you're using the term, but unless that's going to happen it is a superfluous effort that actually will confuse people by requiring them to remember a bunch of new poo poo that will end up having little bearing on later discussion. I'm aggravated because I think you know that and are simply trying to flex on me so that it keeps looking like I'm admitting I'm wrong when in fact you're just loving around with the language we're using while agreeing with me in actual principle. We can move past this any time; I'm fine with uberparasite. We'll see how much it subsequently comes up.

quote:

So far it hasn't seemed necessary or relevant to any other point.
It grounds economics in the context of the physical world and makes it clear what wealth creation really means outside of economics as well as inside of it. It makes it impossible to ignore the significance of sustainability and scale. It establishes an outer boundary of what is possible and centers the focus of discussion about economics on efficiency and human labor. It is a frame for the picture I'm trying to paint, in short.

As for the rest, sorry for the confusion. They are only questions because I didn't get into detail about them. Actually more interested in hearing other people talk about what they think would be answers to those questions (either in my conception or some other better understanding of economics).

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Infinite Karma posted:

The entropy argument is extremely dumb. Technically, entropy increases when you consider a closed system, that's trivial. In reality, the Sun does as astonishing amount of work on the Earth with no input from the Earth at all.

If your consider the Earth anything but an open system receiving ~1000 W/m2 at the surface, for billions of years without fail, you're being insanely pedantic. 99.999% of the biological and chemical energy utilized on the whole planet is a product of capturing solar energy (mostly by plants).

So this thread is really some "Grand unified theory" for basing economics on thermodynamics? Barf.

Dumb is not only wrong, but sometimes just simple. It is totally dumb; I've said as much (used the word "trivial" but sure, we can be less nice). But do you disagree?

I think we can use the dumb statement to make less dumb statements further on.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

You're not jordan peterson and you aren't gonna sell a book from rambling, condense.

lol, it's pretty funny that you reference Peterson. I like the guy at first glance; I like some of what he says. But when it comes to economics and most anything outside linguistics and psychology he's out of his depth. If there's a debate thread about him I'd like to find it and see what this crowd has said about him.

But back to your point - no, I'm not going to do that. If the debate isn't interesting enough to go back and read what's been written, you're welcome to not participate, or wait until I feel like updating the OP.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Infinite Karma posted:

Yes, I disagree. It predicts nothing and describes nothing. On top of being wrong.

If it predicts nothing and describes nothing, then it's "not even wrong." So pick one. And if you'd like to pick "wrong" then please explain why because to me it seems correct.

If, on the other hand, I'm "not even wrong," I'd appreciate - if you care to - show me why the following doesn't make sense or doesn't follow:

1. I start with Marx's definition of use-values (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881137&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post492614364).

2. I relate how the work in his definition is (of course) a physical process which causes increases in entropy.

3. I explain how economies relate to wealth creation (they increase its efficiency without ever being perfectly efficient).

4. I connect 2 and 3 to argue economics is about efficiency of wealth creation, which can be loosely measured with entropy.

5. I say that if economics is about efficiency in terms of minimizing entropy while maximizing wealth, then it makes sense to ask questions like whether it is even possible to succeed at this when inefficient economies might - in the short term - choke out economies which are capable of generating greater wealth over time - and we can discuss whether that's something which is bad, doesn't matter, good, etc., but in terms of civilizational survival in the long term seems like it can only be a bad thing to me, assuming we want civilization to continue in the long term.

So there, I guess I kind of did what OwlFancier asked for anyway. gently caress, I really wanted to stiff that rear end.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Typo posted:

How? I don't think entropy was even understood at the time of Marx?

Granted I haven't read all 1000 pages of kapital but I never encountered this definition before. Where are you pulling the idea that Marxist definition of work is "a physical process which causes increases in entropy."?

Yes, this part does not come from Marx. I mean, I actually think entropy as a concept in physics was under development during Marx's lifetime, but you're right that he didn't deal with it. The connection is that he says use-values are created by human labor/work. And it is trivial to say human labor is a physical process. It is further trivial to point out that physical processes cause increases in entropy.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

So loving what?

loving read.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Explain better.

I did the best I could; I don't know what else to add unless you ask questions. Broad questions like "so what?" don't give me a clue as to where exactly you're failing to follow the conversation. If you want a more detailed justification than I just tried to give a few posts prior to your own, then you'll have to be more detailed with your aggression.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Typo posted:

So if I run around aimlessly is that work and therefore wealth?

No, and it's been dealt with already in detail.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

Physicists were not expecting the unified theory to be a: unholy and b: between physics and economics but this lad's giving it a go

I honestly don't get how it's unholy.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Typo posted:

Why is this when capitalism have not being the existing economic system for the vast majority of human history?

Both Marxist and mainstream historians considers the beginning of capitalism to be sometime around early modern Europe, though some sees elements of it going as far back as the Roman Empire. But the timeline for the existence of capitalism is a blip in human history, why do you claim that it is the "natural economic state"?

Yes, I'm diverging from that understanding of history. Maybe this is because I've been arguing with ancaps over on 4chan for too long and it's messed with my head, but I'll hear people tell me all the time "capitalism is what happens when you get the government out of the market." They position capitalist markets as what would naturally obtain if only we'd get the gently caress out of the way. Well that's fine, I say to myself, but of course humans naturally create rules for markets; if you start with capitalism and "don't get in the way" you're still going to end up with something other than your ancap paradise. "Well not if there are rules in place to prevent that kind of abuse" they say, and it's like OK, but you had just done with saying rules are the devil, get the rules out of the market!

If they've perverted my brain about what the natural state of human economies is, then there's probably a better term for it you can tell me. I'm just saying that whatever it is, it's not going to lead to laissez-faire market economies naturally; there's no inherent justification in that system.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

Alright, let's say I accept points 1 through 4 of the below as true (I don't):

Points 1 through 4 are you train of logic, 5 is supposed to be a conclusion. Ok then. Your conclusion is that economics is about efficiency, which is stupid because efficiency on its own means nothing. You can only be more or less efficient at achieving some sort of specific goal. So you appear to define that goal as "minimizing entropy while maximizing wealth" which leads us back to your thread title question of "what is wealth?" or at least what do you mean by wealth here? Not something that's become clear to me so far. Is what you're actually saying here that we should gently caress up our environment as little as possible while we raise our standard of living because otherwise we risk our civilization collapsing? Because if that's what you're saying, fine, and also congratulations for the most long-winded way of reaching that conclusion ever. Also, while it's cool that you "say" economics is about this, let me make a counterpoint by saying that actually economics is about the distribution of scarce resources. Lastly in what sense are you using "economies" in the above anyway? Like the economies of multiple countries, or different economic systems or what?

OK, cool. Once we get your negative modifiers out of there:

You understand I'm saying efficiency in this context is minimizing entropy while maximizing wealth, which is Marxist use-values. Go read what I wrote on that or just go straight to the source, or preferably both.

What I'm saying is "while it might seem desirable to gently caress up our environment as little as possible while we raise our standard of living, it's not clear such an economic system is competitive. Hopefully someone can show me how it could be because right now I'm kind of freaking out."

When you say economics is about the distribution of scarce resources I agree; that's what it does. But if you're going to talk about how best to do that (which is part of the study of economics), then you're talking about efficiency - much work can't become a use-value until you make it accessible to the person who can use it, and how well the economy does that without creating entropy as a result of the work it takes to perform that economy is a measure of its efficient distribution of scarce resources.

Different countries and entities practice different economies, yes. Of course they are tightly interdependent, but that's the "level of control" we as humans have over the global economy, really - a national level of control. If you want, you might force your nation to commit to a very sustainable economy that will benefit everyone in the long run - but what if another nation commits to a very unsustainable economy that reaps more dividends in the short run, allowing them to replace you in the global economy or even outright conquer you? You end up losing the ability to control as much of the global economy as you used to, and they end up controlling more of it. This does not look good for the sustainable economy. Hopefully there's a way to be sustainable and competitive at a global level.

At other, smaller levels, of course it's possible to be sustainable and occupy a niche that no one else cares to compete with you in. No one cares to interact with the tribes of the Sentinel islands; they run their own economy which ends up being pretty sustainable by dint of accident; they and the wealth they posses have little to offer to the global economy, so there's precious little interaction (contrast with the forced US entry into Japanese economics in the 1800s; they were separate, but the global economy wanted what they had so that state of affairs ended). Unfortunately, the Sentinelese have little hope of solving issues like climate change.

Eschat0n fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 19, 2019

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

What the gently caress does natural mean? It's a loving nonsense word unless you're talking about trees.

It is; it's bullshit, especially when talking about human systems. People want to act like we somehow aren't part of the natural order, but beyond religious conceptions of "chain of being" and poo poo like that which will have absolutely 0 play in a heterogeneous society, there's no way they can possibly make sense of that claim.

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019
I'm going to answer everyone in a single post to try to cut down on the amount of checking I have to do today just because I've been away from this thread awhile, still don't really have time to step away from my wage-slavery to devote all the attention in the world to it, and there are some interesting things being said that I really do want to address.

Typo posted:

Those are very well understood problems in economics, namely externalities and the collective actions problem...

It's more than those things. Externalities describe unintended consequences, but these aren't necessarily even unintended. Certain countries may even view it as their function to conquer and subsume other national economies. Collective action problems certainly describe the issue, but hopefully we can get more specific than that. Super-national agreements and entities such as the EU (much more than the UN) really simply comprise larger, worse-coordinated nations, unless one of them manages world domination/cooperation.

The desire to base all this on work and entropy is an attempt to describe how economics arises out of the conditions of the natural world (trees, per OwlFancier) and ends up with systems we have today. Ideally you could describe all economic and pre-economic systems of wealth in a single way, understand how they were inevitably going to arise given the conditions, and do all this within a framework that centralizes sustainability and efficiency while not worrying more than we have to about what is right and good. No one really cares to argue with the Laws of Thermodynamics these days, so I figured that was a good place to try to build from. Of course can argue night and day about whether or not I've properly mapped the one discipline to the other - and that's valid, and what I hope to continue doing here.

Orange Devil posted:

If you want to talk about the best way to distribute scarce resources though you aren't talking about efficiency so much as you are talking about distributive justice and you've entered philosophy. I recommend Rawls.
I don't think so, because my formulation so far doesn't say anything about who gets what; only that the most efficient economies will distribute use-values such that they actually get used. This is far from dealing with whether it's fair to give a use-value to any certain person or group. Right now it seems as apt to suggest we give all use-values to some idealized central command computer that can maximally use the wealth for the benefit of everyone in the system as to recommend you just let people murder each other to get what they need; you'd have to introduce additional arguments about the ethics or efficiency of that plan to argue against it, and that's not been done yet. The only thing it attempts to establish is that whatever system is decided on, it should be chosen because it is efficient. You're absolutely right that such arguments do rapidly enter the realm of philosophy and ethics rather than "pure scientific economics" or whatever, though.

Orange Devil posted:

Now this is something I can actually understand and relate to, thanks for explaining better...
The problem is that you try to avoid competing with capitalism at your peril. You can try to get a political solution, but people in general seem like they are more sensitive to what seems to be giving them the best solution right now. Without getting into arguments about whether it was really true or not, let's suppose the economic system of the USSR was more sustainable than the US system during the 1950s - 1990s. I don't think the outcome of that competition would be different; the US economy outcompeted the USSR's during that time, and it's not like the arguments you presented above weren't getting chucked around at that time. Again, this is not to say "welp that sucks, better throw in the towel and embrace the great satan of capitalism," but I'm trying to express that I think the problem is far from a simple political change away. If you have any one significant economy defect from your political agenda and go with faster, more immediately gratifying capitalism, you end up losing to them. It certainly seems like that's the fate which befell China's economy; perhaps more on that later.

Orange Devil posted:

Again you stick too closely to orthodox economic framing, which is not coincidentally infused with nationalism here....
I think I'm actually maintaining that even supposing you had some sort of ideal experimental situation where there were two economies which couldn't really directly attack each other - say like if Earth and Alpha Centauri were engaged in trade and the one were largely capitalist while the other was some kind of socialism like my personal favorite, Distributism - you'd still end up in a situation where the capitalist economy would come to dominate the relationship through purely economic power, at least in the short term. Even supposing you had two communist star systems that successfully granted real control to the same social classes, and these were engaged in trade with each other, the more efficient economy of the two would over some span of time come to dominate and really dictate the relationship, even if only on economic terms. So I'm not sure I see the use of caring what part of any given society is really in conflict.

WampaLord posted:

And shock of all shocks, you're a JP fan. Of course.
I'm pretty sure that's not what I said. Saying "Hitler had some good ideas about the highway system" is not the same as saying "yo guys Hitler's pretty great!" But if you need some reason to hate me that doesn't involve actually getting involved in the discussion, I guess I should just let you get on with it.

roomforthetuna posted:

I had no problem with usage of the term parasite, until it was fed into the conclusion that all parasites can only be detrimental...
Well, this is the problem, then. You have no idea what I actually said! What I said was not "that all parasites can only be detrimental" - what I said was "Not an argument from sustainability or ethics, these actors probably represent a simple drain on the efficiency of the economy; they are an anti-economy; a parasite, in various degrees." So my formulation was "the actors" - as in those who matched the description I had just formulated - were parasites. This does not imply that all parasites are "these actors." You've gone and created this entire idea of something you think I said, but I never actually said it. Let's move on.

roomforthetuna posted:

I was about ready to concede this, assuming the linked article defined a steam engine as a specific type of implementation, but no, turns out according to wikipedia there's no requirement that a heat engine uses a temperature gradient....
Again, let's just have you argue against the site's words and not my own: "a heat engine is a system that converts heat or thermal energy—and chemical energy—to mechanical energy, which can then be used to do mechanical work.[1][2] It does this by bringing a working substance from a higher state temperature to a lower state temperature."

roomforthetuna posted:

(I think you were arguing that wealth is comprised of low-entropy stuff, but I'm honestly not sure any more.) There's still a problem here, because cooking a thing that's inedible when raw clearly gives it more use-value, but overcooking the same thing clearly gives it less use-value, and no matter how you might redefine the boundaries of this entropy change these two changes are obviously both in the same entropic direction.
OK, so let me first admit that properly cooked meat often has more use-value than uncooked meat and certainly more use-value than overcooked meat, and I think this is the first real problem with my formulation that you've presented. I think what this really falls under, though, is "useless work," which had already been covered prior and up til now had been a hidden clause to the statement "use-values are established by work, which is the process of reducing entropy within some frame of reference." Really, it seems like that statement ought to be something more like this:

"Use-values are established by work, which is the process of reducing entropy within some frame of reference accessible to the user."

This goes all the way back to my initial discussion regarding what Marx said about use-values and whether I thought he was right about what he said. I had a slight modification to his statement at that time:

"Wealth always consists of accessible use-values." (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881137&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post492614364)

At the time I had in mind the following: "You have to be able to use it, don't you? I'm not even sure Marx would disagree with this, given he doesn't seem to think any of this contravenes his contention that use-values require a quality of usefulness."

So when you burn the meat, you're reducing entropy but you're also making it unusable, much the same as if you had cooked it properly but far away from anyone able to eat it. I think the same modification catches at least this example of how decrease in entropy with in a frame of reference does not necessarily increase wealth. It has to be useful too, and that's a clause which has been with my position since I first defined it, but insufficiently explored.

What it does is potentially make entropy a less useful measure of wealth than it might first appear. It certainly doesn't stand on its own. I think my conclusions are still safe, though, and here's why: I still can't imagine a situation in which entropy increases and so does the use-value of that frame of reference/local system/thing. So long as that remains valid, I can say no, we aren't getting a free lunch out of the universe. I don't even think that's a very controversial statement; some others in here might even go so far as calling it "dumb" to even bother mentioning. Most axioms are, really, but whatever.

OwlFancier posted:

Actually I'm fairly sure the point of MMT is that it absolutely can and does and should do this, and that if it stopped doing this there would be no money left in circulation. The reason money exists is because the government printed it and gave it to someone.

More specifically though the money can come from anywhere, the marxist position is that we don't need private ownership of capital, just take it all off the private holders and put it under democratic control, you don't trust random people to make decisions about any other aspect of your life, why would you trust them to marshal your labour?
This makes a lot of sense. Liquidity is created by debt, which is a promise of future work, that promise being enforced by the violence of the state. The democratic control, though - doesn't that also require an government's promise of violence to enforce it, or do we (seriously here, not being rhetorical) not rightly consider it violence when it is directed at private interests looking for criminal gains? Or perhaps it's just violence which is morally good violence, directed as it is toward an inefficiency in the system rather than the source of all wealth, the worker. The other quibble is that really I think we do trust random people to make decisions about our lives - namely, ourselves. But I actually don't think you'd disagree with me that in your vision of a democratically-controlled economic system, there still would exist some room for individual decisionmaking without the influence of the state. Yet if that's true, and the personal choices people make lead to wealth inequalities external to the system controlled by even the most perfect state, do you think that constitutes a real problem? I'm betting this is a topic which just has to have been discussed somewhere at length before, and you sound like you might know of it.

OwlFancier posted:

"Who eats the loss" assumes that there is generally a net loss...
Just to kind of butt in once more on the conversation, I think in my understanding of economics, though, there is always a net loss somewhere in the economy. The work is done, and it physically cannot be distributed perfectly efficiently, so there's systemic loss, and there's also the loss which happens as a result of the entropy increasing. That's true not only in a socialist economy but really in any economy, right? So paternity suitor is basically right - in any economic system, to some extent, all participants end up "shrugging their shoulders and moving on." That's the price paid to be part of the group, yeah? And people are generally willing to pay that price, because economies are much more efficient than taking all the risk on yourself - but broadly speaking they're all just ramps with varying inclines down the entropy well, converting as much of the potential wealth to actual use-values as can be done before they get to the bottom. How efficiently you perform that descent is important and matters, but loss is unavoidable under any system.

A Russian troll farm posted:

Its stolen from da workers, OP
Stolen is such a loaded word. What do you mean? In a certain sense, as described above - yes, participation in an economy "robs" you of some of your work. You get a lot out of it though - just not perhaps measured in terms you normally measure, so you think it's all a bad joke - but somehow still preferable to not participating, yeah?

Eschat0n fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 21, 2019

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

WampaLord posted:

Do you think poor people should have more money, yes or no?

I would like a literal one word answer to this question.
yes

OwlFancier posted:

If you turn a tree into chairs the chairs have higher utility than the tree, if they didn't, you wouldn't do it, and people would just stand around and stare at trees instead of sitting on chairs.

This is not in any way a "net loss", there is all sorts of work that produces things that are actually useful and beneficial to people and which, by basically any metric, generates value, whether or not you consider money to be value, or utility, or beauty, or artifice, or whatever. Human work transforms things into more useful things and there is not any sort of loss inherent to this process. Loss can occur due to market factors, or due to your boss owning the means of production and screwing you out of your fair share, but the overwhelming probability is that your labour is useful and generates value, not a loss.

If you're trying to say that's all meaningless because eventually the universe is gonna freeze to death then that's really not very useful to anybody who's ever been or is or is gonna be alive.
Thinking about it, I suppose a better way to make my point would be to say that the process of moving use-values through an economy diminishes the return on that work for the person who made them, and always will. Economies take work to run, but are not themselves use-values - they are a use-value distribution system. Certainly they create wealth by providing use-values to those who would not otherwise have had them, but at somewhat less efficiency than if the use-value had just been readily available without needing to resort to the economy where some work is lost in the process of transaction.

Typo posted:

there's nothing about intentions here, an externality can be intended or unintended
You are absolutely right. Sorry about that.

Typo posted:

But all you are really saying here is that everything uses energy and there is a finite amount of energy in the universe to be used up because the universe is (probably) finite, which is true, I'm just not sure why you need like 10 pages of words to say this or how this is non-trivial

the idea that there are finite resources (scarcity) and that we need to find a good way of allocating said finite resources is the very premise of economics as a discipline: whether you are of the Marxist or Neoclassical school.

I think your entire 10 page thesis when boiled down is just replace "resources" with energy or thermodynamics or something in the above statement
Well... to be a little more than humble, I do not think that's all I'm really saying here. It is certainly part of it, and it is the non-controversial part, yes. It's trivial/dumb in the same way it's trivial to point out, when someone asks why insects can't get bigger than they are, that this is due to fundamental limits imposed on their bodies by physics and the chemistry of their metabolisms. On some level, it's obvious that an ant will be constrained by the physics of the universe it is in, but that doesn't make it useless to say, especially when it's going to be used for something more down the line, such as trying to find out whether it is physically possible for a sustainable economy to outcompete a less sustainable economy under a given set of circumstances. I figured it was better to cast the net wide at the start and reel in, rather than leave out some assumption that might gently caress me up down the road.

OwlFancier posted:

And I again really want to point out that the heat death of the universe is an utterly irrelevant concern for humans. It has no place whatsoever in our lives. Right now we live on a planet with some resources which are finite, some which are constant, and some which are renewable up to a point. The goal of our economic system should be to balance all of those out as well as possible to maximise human wellbeing, and the fact that a couple dozen fuckers are holding more of the sum total of human monetary wealth than half the goddamn planet is point numero uno on things that are wrong with the present system.
The heat death of the universe is definitely an extreme outer limit and yeah, not pertinent. But the same limitations there also apply in many ways to our smaller stage on Earth. The utilization of resources routinely outstrips our ability to actually go get those resources, so we can run out of things just fine on a much smaller scale. The ridiculously rich problem is certainly an inefficiency, but given that they're basically (largely) ultraparasites who don't drive the vast majority of that wealth back into the system, no one is really getting what they have and from my point of view their wealth becomes kind of irrelevant from the standpoint of determining which economic systems can hope to prosper - if everyone kinda loses equally (except those few dudes, who are basically outside the game, so to speak) then it's not super-important to me. If all you want me to do is comfort you by agreeing that "rah-rah, those assfucks are the bane of human existence" then yeah, I can do that for you. I don't like that distribution of wealth very much either. But that's not really what I came here to talk about; THAT's more trivial by far.

Typo posted:

and OP, the idea you are vaguely coming to grasp with is something called Malthusiniasm and neo-malthusianism

only instead of food and land it's energy you are using instead
Yeah somewhat, just with none of the apocalyptic stuff (climate change being absolutely horrible, but still not probably killing a large fraction of humanity). Not that such an outcome is impossible, but that I don't see why it would necessarily happen so far. For one thing, my understanding is that the latest figures show world population basically leveling off prior to 9 billion people. That's probably too many drat people for this planet, but that's yet another conundrum for me:

If wealth is use-values
And use-values are created by people
More people = more use-values = more wealth

Given how cheap it turns out to be to keep people around at some maximum level of misery, nations do not have a huge incentive to lower population numbers until they hit 1st world status and automation reduces (eventually removes completely?) the number of workers who must be given some slice of the pie... and even then, I'm not actually sure it doesn't just keep making sense to have as many people as you can in your economy. Awesome Euro and Asian Tiger economies don't really stand a chance against much less efficient juggernauts like India or China. Even America, relatively large in population, isn't on track to best them in the long run.

Typo posted:

it's just that this is a pretty useless framework from just thinking about resources as resources because as others have already said the earth is not a closed system (there's more energy than we can use blasted out of the sun we just don't have the technology to fully harvest it yet) and the actual sustainability issues the Earth faces isn't that we are "running out" of energy or even specific resources like oil but rather the side effects from particular technological means of production (heh) causing specific environmental parameters like avg global temperature to change.
The energy we can actually get is what matters, and yeah, we are running out of things like trees, coastal land (sea level rise), etc.

But all of that is beside the point. It's not so much about running out as it is about efficiently converting; not because you'll get to the absolute bottom of the pool of X resource, really, but because you can have Y amount of X per P harvesting period, and run out of it in that time, or even simply just not make the best use of your time over such and such period, leaving you uncompetitive.

OwlFancier posted:

This is the key thing, climate change is a problem because we have an economic system that encourages individual and nations to enter into an arms race, either literal or figurative, where they try to outproduce each other and struggle for dominance, and then even when dominant they want to become even more dominant and run up the score regardless of the effect it has on the planet. Which is why marxist environmentalists argue that this is dumb and we need to stop doing it, and that the only way we're gonna be able to stop doing it is by taking power out of the hands of any random poo poo who can accumulate money. Because if that's how you assign power then you create a system where power havers do nothing but try to accumulate more to have more power, or just out of pathological obsession with doing it. And that creates the whole rotten edifice of mass-consumption-as-life .
Yes, this is another way of saying what I've been trying to say. But what none of you are seemingly acknowledging (or perhaps just like literally everything else up to this point you've all just known about it and not mentioned it for fear of stating the obvious) is the irony of the solution you're proposing:

1. The economic paradigm is "Outproduce wealth to achieve dominance"
2. Marxist environmentalists (and, I'd argue, plenty of others) will stop this by "taking power."

But how will they "take power?"

"By convincing people they're right and then getting them all to vote their ideas into action."

"But what if your ideas will temporarily reduce the amount of wealth flowing into people's coffers, and they rather don't like that, so they don't vote for your ideas?" (It's my explicit contention and worry that this seems inevitable and I'm hoping someone will point out how actually it's not true).

"Then we must outproduce our competitors by creating a society where we are even more productive than those capitalists who are ruining the planet!" (with, potentially, the inane sub-loop of this step where we talk about bloody revolution but realize we'll need to outproduce our competitors to win post-industrial wars anyhow).

But that's just participating in the system you seek to overthrow, so I think really we just need to sit down and ask ourselves "how do you go about outcompeting modern capitalism economically?"

roomforthetuna posted:

I have no argument with that. It doesn't say "temperature gradient" at all, nor anything that requires a temperature gradient [across space] be involved.
Well typically when you're talking about heat transfer, a spatial temperature gradient is involved. And by typically, I mean always. Even with a microwave gun heating the water tank of a steam engine, you still are creating a gradient in the volume of water.

roomforthetuna posted:

I'm confused by the claim that overcooking meat is a reduction in entropy. My position was that cooking and overcooking meat are both an increase in entropy, and that one of them increases use-value. (In case you're going to say temperature gradient again to excuse calling it an entropy decrease, I'd like to make it raw meat -> cooked-then-cooled meat -> overcooked-and-cooled meat.)
OK, that's even more interesting. Yeah, my argument would totally have been that it's a decrease in entropy because you're creating a temperature gradient. But what is the measure of entropy in a cool cooked steak vs a (cool) raw steak? Definitely higher - within that system. I think the apparent issue with this is resolved if we consider the use-value of the cooked meat vs the use-value of the uncooked meat. The reason it was cooked was to make it healthier for a person to consume, contributing to the continued survival (and lower entropy) of the human body the cooked meat sustains. This is actually a pretty important thing to discuss - because it is undeniable the cooked meat is both higher entropy and higher use-value than the raw meat - so yes, I have to admit that sometimes increases in entropy can correspond to a higher use-value - but I think you need to admit that this can only take place in situations where the expectation is that ultimately entropy will decrease elsewhere as a result of this behavior. That's interesting because what's expected may of course not happen - the cooked meat might not get eaten. In that case of course it was more wasteful to cook the meat than not. In any event, it looks like later on in your own argument you came to the same place, more or less: " Sustaining (and entertaining!) the self may be of higher value than any codified use-value/entropy can measure." I just disagree with the implication that an inability to measure this means there is no direct relationship between entropy and wealth.

roomforthetuna posted:

At the very least, it needs a better definition of useful before this becomes a predictive model...
I think you'll have to take that complaint up with Marx - I don't believe he intended that use-values be able to be rigorously measured, so right now there's definitely no more accurate definition of "useful" in play. I myself don't think I need to be that rigorous to get use out of the argued relationship between entropy and use-values.
/quote]

MixMastaTJ posted:

You're talking about exploitation. Which, yes, allowing yourself to be exploited for a central goal can be mutually beneficial.

All private property is theft. Land belongs to everyone. When someone claims something is theirs and they aren't immediately using it they are stealing from the community. We have a lot of laws that reinforce this theft but it's still theft.
Ownership = theft again. Well, if you and I both share a boat so we can escape when it floods, what happens when it floods and you take the boat? Better for me to have a boat and tell you not to take it, and better for you to do likewise, so that in the event of a flood we are both guaranteed the use of a boat when it matters - especially because you and I do not agree about how best to care for a boat so that it will save us in the event of a flood.

On the flip side, if we share a coconut for eating, but you are always using it for making music, then will never actually get to eat the coconut. It seems like by your logic the musical coconut user is not a thief, despite having deprived me my use of a shared coconut. I'd say he absolutely is... better for me to have a coconut and tell you to get your own, since you and I do not agree on how best to use coconuts.

But ultimately I'm not really interested in the immense argument that will unfold down this line of discussion. Let's suppose for now that ownership is theft. I'm fine with that, for the sake of continuing the argument in another direction.

Orange Devil posted:

You've lost me completely again. I'm trying to tell you that efficiency on its own means nothing, yet you keep insisting that efficient economies (which apparently is capitalism first and foremost) will triumph over less efficient economies (read: socialism) and that's the lens I should adopt for this issue. It appears that your unstated goal (ie. what are we being efficient towards) is profit maximization. Ok cool, but what if in our hypothetical socialist economy we abolish private property? Or markets? I'm trying to tell you that I reject the unstated fundamental underpinnings of your argument.
Well, at least in socialist theory, socialism should outcompete capitalism in terms of creating use-values, because the idea is that even if output is lower, it will be better utilized. But why do you reject the notion that economies exist to efficiently distribute wealth? It's not an unstated underpinning of my argument, by the way, it's just that I wrote it many pages back: I absolutely explicitly hold that this is the purpose of economies. Perhaps you want to show me how that's wrong - I will listen.

Orange Devil posted:

By the way, I vehemently disagree with your characterisation that any of this is "a simple political change away". These are massive, literally revolutionary, changes I'm talking about. Nothing about this will be simple. But focusing on the wrong things, ie. what you are doing by trying to frame these things in purely economic terms, will not only not help, but actually harm achieving any of these goals.
My position is that political changes are simple compared with changing the economic system. Certainly politics is not simple in the grand scheme of things.

Orange Devil posted:

Furthermore, please note that I've already agreed with you that having "one signficant economy", and specifically the US, defect from these goals and instead continue with the capitalist course that they are on is an existential threat. I disagree with you, again, that this competition would be a purely economic affair. The US (or any other sufficiently powerful capitalist actor) will use and has used every form of violence available to it to stop socialism from succeeding.
My point has been that while this may or may not be true of the US, it doesn't even need to enter into the picture - purely economic defection is sufficient threat enough - not even taking into consideration the real danger of warfare.

Orange Devil posted:

What you need to sit down and think about is, what are ecoomies supposed to be for anyway? Or what ought the goal of human labour be?
I have, but again - this was a ways back. The explicit positions I hold re: these questions are that "economies are for the efficient distribution of wealth" and "the goal of human labor is to create use-values" (please note this is more nuanced than simply "the goal of human labor is to create capital" because inherent in the concept of a use-value is that it actually can be used. Have you put some thought into answering these questions which you'd like to share?

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

Helsing posted:

I think that you would really benefit from a deeper engagement with the philosophy of science. Thomas Kuhn's "Structure of Scientific Revolutions" is the classic example here but there's also lots of up to date stuff on these debates. The point I would emphasize is that ultimately there are certain criteria that tend to get used to help use make sense of what a good theory looks like.

One widely held value for a theory is the principle of parsimony - which is more or less just a formalized way of referring to Ocam's Razor - the idea that we should aim for the most simple and straightforward available explanation that still fits all the available data. Based on a first glance the wiki on this concept seems decent enough and gives a helpful overview of debates and grey areas where parsimony can be hard to apply.

My point here is that your instinct to go for a grand universe scale theory of the economy sort of cuts against the grain of how most science and academic work is conducted. If you're going to bring in something as complex as physics and start musing about faster than light travel or the heat death of the universe then these concepts ought to be doing some crucial work in your theory.

But so far as I can tell your references to entropy are largely just aesthetic. They give your theory as sciencey flavour but I can't for the life of me figure out what practical work they do in enhancing our understanding of anything. I'm still not clear on how your theory generates any novel predictions or ideas. It just seems to take things we already know and restate them in a slightly different way, without yielding any new insights. As another user already pointed out, economists are well acquainted with the idea of scarcity and the distribution of scarce resources.

That isn't to say that there's no value to big picture thought exercises or to experimenting with borrowing theoretical concepts from one discipline and trying to fit them into another. It can be a good way to familiarize yourself with ideas and get used to playing around with them. But insofar as what you're doing here is more than just a playful exercise and is actually intended to be a serious attempt at constructing a new theory of wealth, I'm still struggling to see what genuinely new and important insights we get from your way of formulating things that we can't get out of existing theories.
With respect, I am familiar with Occam's Razor and the philosophy of science in general. So far not very much has been said about what I think it entails, because the idea was first to achieve general agreement that the arrangement made a general sort of sense like "yeah, I guess, so what? - and to be clear, I know that's the point you and a few other people are at. But there are also people who are still discussing with me in this thread whether or not there are systemic problems with the idea already; see my interesting discussion with roomforthetuna, for example. It is conceivable he may show me that it's not even making sense at this level, so from my point of view I want to try to address his concerns before trying to address yours. This is also not to say I think you agree with me 100%; I'm not asking for that. I'm just saying you appear to be at the point in the conversation where you're like "ok, let's say for the sake of argument this all makes sense. Now do something with it." I really do understand that sentiment, and I have introduced a few concepts which I think are particularly illuminated by the approach. But let's you and I focus on just one that I had already mentioned:

Given the physical properties acknowledged of economies, can sustainable economies hope to overcome unsustainable economies? Or to put it another way: can economies which are not entropically efficient be expected to dominate human economic systems if we assume people will preferentially choose to participate in economies that provide them (the individual) with more wealth?

To be clear, that question has no possible answer using only the things I have discussed so far (at least not so far as I can tell). You'd have to bring other economic concepts into the discussion - I don't want to pretend anything else or leave anyone disappointed. My hope was to say something that would make sense of where that question is coming from - to justify the terms in which it is couched. I'm not actually thinking that I'm on to some grand unified theory of economics, and I don't know why you and others have imputed that to me: I'm simply eschewing economic concepts until someone points out I need them, and otherwise working in a very small subset of economics as I understand it, talking about wealth, how it works inside and outside of economies, and the implications of those particular things. Just like pretty much any complex field when you do something like that, a million other aspects of the field impinge on the answer - and that's fine - but to be clear and get to the point in a discussion, I don't want to bring all that stuff in unless forced to. Not that any of it is wrong - just that I want to think about it this way, and if you want to call that a playful exercise, I'm fine with that because I'm definitely not claiming a degree in Economics or any special genius. I think I have an IQ of like 100 or whatever. Nothing special.

To put it another way, my argument is much less jealous than many: I'm not here to say "what I'm saying is the only right way to think about wealth and economies" - I'm saying "I think it makes sense to talk about wealth and economies this way." See the difference?

Helsing posted:

I can't tell if you're saying that this should be true or if you're saying it actually is true. If you're trying to say that this is how the actually existing world economy is actually designed then I'd have to disagree with you or at least say that this statement requires a book's worth of qualifying provisions.
I'm saying this is how the actually existing world economy works - design doesn't even enter into it.

Helsing posted:

The "discipline" of economics is - as you're already implicitly acknowledging when you call it a discipline - a historically embedded set of ideas and discursive practices. The boundaries of what counts as economics (or political economy as it was once known) fluctuate across time and depending on location. I don't think you can just casually assert "this is one economics is, and anything else isn't really economics". That's a massive argument to be making quite aside from all the other arguments you've made in this thread. If you want to define economics you'd have to engage with its actual existence as a discipline over two centuries.

The same is true of loaded terms like "efficiency" or even the concept of "the economy" as such. These terms need to be defined before they are used in this way.

This is part of why I was so skeptical of your coconut thought experiment and why I was dubious of your claim that it was helpful to remove the "social fiction" from any analysis of wealth. Because the kind of argument you're seeking to make is fundamentally a social argument and that requires a deep engagement with the historical record. You can't derive laws about society from abstract first principles alone.
The decision to distinguish ethical arguments from economic arguments is to point out that economics cannot be the whole answer - there are a million other considerations impinging on economic systems - many (most?) of them having in their motive nothing to do with whether the economy runs better or worse - and these are valid concerns. They're just not economical concerns. I feel it's important to distinguish that because plenty of people are very concerned with making sure, above all, that whatever we talk about, "the poor people get more money" or "the rich are not stripped of their fairly-earned wealth" or whatever the concern is. Those are valid concerns - but the motive in those concerns is to make sure justice is served, not to make the economy run as well as possible.

It is likely that we do not actually want the best possible economy. It is likely that what we want is the best possible economy which doesn't trample our ethical notions. But let's not get confused about where those notions are coming from - they're not economics. There are two ways to argue workers should be kept happy - the first argument is that people have a right to happiness. That's an ethical argument. The other argument is that they produce more wealth - that's an economic argument. That's the whole point, to distinguish those kinds of arguments - not separate them out and say "these don't matter."

Helsing posted:

Not to be glib but that seems to be exactly what happened.

Ancaps are essentially a faith based religion masquerading as a political creed. Their approach to these questions is intentionally designed to support their pre-existing ethical commitments and to leave no room for dissenting approaches. And since their ridiculous ideas are contradicted by more or less the entire historical record they unsurprisingly have a lot of theoretical justifications for why instead of every looking at history we should derive all our ideas from first principles.

Their lingering influence on your thinking is really not doing you any favours. Stop intentionally designing your ideas to be palatable to one of the dumbest ideological tendencies imaginable and you'll probably start getting a better reception to your ideas.
If you wouldn't mind painting a (as brief as possible) historical picture here, in this thread, with or without references to external sources, I'd be at least one rapt reader, eager to correct past self-ills. And I'm not just saying this because I'm hoping to get out of reading a shitton outside this thread. That effort on my part is ongoing as fast as it may given my other distractions, but if you get to the point here in a targeted way, you might get a better result out of me, who is not progressing as quickly as you'd like.

OwlFancier posted:

I would really criticise the entire notion of saying "the economy has a purpose"
It has a purpose the same way a red blood cell has a purpose. Nothing designed it, nothing told it what to do. But it does serve a biological function or two. So goes the economy, because as MixMastaTJ intuits:

MixMastaTJ posted:

Basically economic activity is a biological/physical process by which a society distributes energy usage. Wealth is energy stored (like how an animal stores fat). Does that sound right?

This is broadly exactly what I have in mind, though people have since pointed out that it can't really equate to "storing fat" because there are particular facets of use-values which don't map well to that metaphor. But not everything about genetics maps perfectly to Dawkins' Memetics, yet it's a pretty cool and useful framework for discussing culture.

Eschat0n fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 1, 2019

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

roomforthetuna posted:

The one thing I think that still isn't very well addressed in your model is the idea of wealth being subjective (as in my glass of water vs barrel of oil example) - since you're now talking about the success of an economy being measured in terms of wealth production that seems like it's important - producing a thousand coconuts a day for a population of a thousand people is a moderately successful economy, but producing two thousand coconuts a day may briefly be more successful, but in time that system's use-value becomes identical to that of the one-thousand-coconuts system; nobody wants to own excess coconuts beyond a limit.

(This is an interesting side-effect of money - the facts that it deteriorates only very slowly, can be exchanged for almost any goods or services, takes up no physical space, and can be leveraged to extract even more money, makes it endlessly desirable, unlike most commodities.)

This may be a problem with your suggesting a dichotomy between a successful economy (as measured by production of wealth) and making people happy - if you agree that wealth is use-value and that use-value is subjective then this definition of wealth effectively is a measure of making people happy/comfortable/alive. At least until you start to approach the weird psychology poo poo like advertising in order to create a demand for a product by making people unnaturally unhappy.

Marx's definition of wealth as use-values removes subjectivity from the equation in that sense. I know you don't like that because it purports an absolute, but hopefully you can put aside that bias (there are absolutes, you know) to see what he meant: use-values vary depending on context - it's not how we perceive the use of a thing, but how it can actually be used that matters. So while a person may subjectively believe a nugget of gold to be very valuable, that belief in no way corresponds to actual use-value of the nugget of gold to that person or other entities. It is certainly the case that a glass of water has a much higher use-value than a glass of refined oil to a man lost in the desert, but his perception has nothing to do with it; the water is objectively more useful to him.

I'm going to have to disagree with your presentation of money's value - you really need to qualify what you're saying here. Money's value can deteriorate in a few minutes depending on how the currency supply is affected. It's also not clear what you mean when you say it can be leveraged to extract even more money - this language suggests you don't think it needs to be transacted to do this, but even if all it is doing is sitting in a bank, getting you interest or what have you, that represents an opportunity cost that - at least so far as I have been able to tell - most of the time is going to outstrip whatever leverage it gives you, up to the point where you have so much money there's literally nothing useful you can buy with it - which puts the lie to your last claim that it is endlessly desirable.

As far as your last paragraph, I'm not actually suggesting a dichotomy between happiness and successful economies. As it happens I believe there actually is such a dichotomy (not an inverse proportional relationship or anything like that, but at least something more crudely resembling an incomplete fulfillment of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs), but it wasn't meant to be implied by anything I've previously said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschat0n
Jan 16, 2019

roomforthetuna posted:

I don't dislike absolutes that are actually absolute, I just dislike when people say things as absolute that are not. Is it really bias to prefer people to say not-incorrect things?
Anyway, apparently my use of "subjective" was an uncommon one, so I apologise for that - I meant the use-value varies by who the subject is, but apparently subjective usually just means perception-related. My point was that the use-value of the glass of water really is different for different people, which makes it clearly not an objective measure (though since you've said "objectively more useful to a specific person" let's say for clarity it's not an objective measure without also including a corresponding measure of the surrounding universe to make sure of the context being unchanged).

Which means use-value can't be derived from work or entropy, because in some contrived situation the work or entropy change involved in delivering a glass of water to this guy is identical to the work or entropy change involved in delivering a glass of water to that guy, but that guy is right on the edge of dying of dehydration and this guy just had a drink 5 minutes ago and is fine, so the use-value of the otherwise identical action is completely different.

Or, if wealth is use-value and use-value is "objective but dependent on the context", then a man can "produce wealth" by becoming thirsty near some water or becoming hungry near some food. The use-value goes up, right? Of course the man's use-value goes down as he needs more inputs; if you're okay with saying that people are also part of wealth then we can probably kind of agree here, but that looks pretty fraught in the context of the previous paragraph.

Sure, money's value can deteriorate, but it's never less-or-equal valuable to have more money than less money, except in very tenuous edge cases like encouraging ransom kidnappings. Whereas having more coconuts than you can use is space-consuming and effort and decay.

By leveraging money to extract more money I meant you can pay people less than their value to do work, and keep the difference. I didn't mean to suggest it's not transacted.

I don't believe it's possible to have so much money that there's literally nothing useful you can buy with it, unless you're trapped somewhere where there aren't enough people you could pay to do things, or you're defining useful as actually productive in which case you're very much wrong about more not being desirable, because the ability to pay people to do unproductive things on a whim is absolutely a desirable perk to have.
Edit: since you might be thinking "but you can't need lots of people per day to entertain you", an example I would do if I had Bezos money is pay people to do large scale clinical trials of all sorts of things, like anything where I don't know what the optimal option is and have any curiosity at all. Different kinds of brush-picks versus floss versus water-picks. Soft toothbrushes versus stiff. High fructose corn syrup versus sugar versus dextrose, with blood tests. I'd also pay people to do whatever loving stupid clinical studies they want to do, under my controlled conditions. I could easily spend millions per day on this one whim alone, and I have plenty of whims.

Okay, then we don't have an explicit disagreement in that area. :)
If objective, measurable usefulness can be ascertained for users, then yes, you can start to approach an objective measurement of the use-value of, for example, a glass of water. You can incorporate a measurement of all the feasible use-values - or even just as many as you can conceive of - and you can factor these by whether or not one use will negate another, and so on. I'm not strong at math, but it seems plausible that there might even be a slick sort of algorithm that could be constructed which would approximate a single, measurable result out of such a reckoning of a thing.

I think you are making conclusions that do not follow your arguments. First of all, yes, water in front of a thirsty person is more wealth than water in front of a satiated person. The use-value goes up when the thirsty person has it - but the equal amount of work done to deliver it to the non-thirsty person does not somehow negate the work done to bring it to one who thirsts - work was done in both situations, without which there would never be use-value at all. It is simply the case that the work done for the thirsty person was more efficient at creating wealth.

Now if a sated woman stands in front of a glass of water until they are thirsty, the use-value of that water goes up - yes. Whether that constitutes work is, I think, actually debatable. Certainly as I think you yourself have said earlier, just living is work itself. Wealth is being created all the time. But even if you don't like that, it is still the case that work was done to create the glass of water and bring the person to it.

But before we get too far off on a tangent of money and other forms of wealth, and whether there remain any edge cases in the concept of work as wealth - let's consider the possibility of alternative explanations. Certainly your hesitation to admit work is wealth indicates you either hold some alternative position or have no position. In this thread already I have asked people to define what wealth is to them - and we've had a few strong contenders, like violence. I think that it's pretty clear, though, that violence is just a more specific form of work, and I don't think anyone at this point is still arguing that you cannot create use-values without violence, so I think I've come out on top in that regard. To properly understand use-values and wealth in all contexts, you have to admit that violence cannot fully account.

Let's apply the same question to the concept of human work/labor. If work is not the creation of use-values, then what is it? Why do bustling economies tend to cause so much work? What do people work for, in groups or alone?

MixMastaTJ posted:

The second law of thermodynamics refers to a closed system. Closed systems are entirely theorhetical like perfectly smooth surfaces or a perfect vacuum. There may be some systems that resemble a closed system, but the economy is not one of them. All the energy we have used or will ever use is totally negligible compared to how much energy the sun will have blasted the Earth with by the time it burns out. We got about 5 billion years. That's not forever in geological terms but it is forever in human terms.

I don't see any reason to say an economy could not be sustained virtually forever given that. If anything, I'd say the bigger threat is wealth divide inevitably reaches a maximum and the working class revolts. However, I'm sure there exists some perfect equilibrium of oppression where the working class is not unhappy enough to ever overthrow the ruling class.

I don't think anyone's making Marxist arguments because they're concerned about the economy's well-being. Hell, I don't think most right wings would consciously make that argument- they're more concerned with their nation controlling economic power.

A strong economy for its own sake is pretty much exclusively a Libertarian argument with a basis in ethical egoism. Which is bad philosophy.

A lot of people, however, tend to take to ethical stances that support their own comfort. People who control wealth benefit from Libertarian and right wing policies. They can take comfort in the view that people are poor because they don't work hard enough.

You need wealth to change the status quo. That wealth can be taken by force when the working class seizes the means of production OR we can convince those who control wealth into giving it up.

So, yes, I think people should have access to food because I'm ethically opposed to starvation. But I will argue that a well fed populace is more productive because this is more liable to convince someone in power to give up food.
While the system of Earth is functionally open, there are ways in which it looks significantly more closed than those 5 billion years to which you refer. Firstly, any given terrestrial economy only has imperfect access to all the natural resources, and some of the natural resources (such as helium) are not so easily replenished. No amount of sunlight will bring back the Mastodon, though it was pretty useful to early hominid economies. Even the time you have to make your wealth is limited; economies are in some sense competing against each other; and how they make use of time in that race is irretrievable and important.

If you're simply arguing that we have so little to worry from entropy that we need not concern ourselves with sustainable economics and go hog-wild on the ride to maximum wealth production in the short term, then I respectively must disagree. Easter Island's prehistory, I think, is a token of my position's strength.

With that in mind, my argument does proceed along lines a little closer to what you imagine the "right-wingers" might argue; though they're after "nation controlling economic power," I'm interested in whether a sustainable economy can hope to control enough of its power to retain sovereignty over itself at a minimum and expand and subsume other economies at best. The reason I'm interested in this is because I intuit (though perhaps someone may show me this is not a good intuition) that sustainable economies are better for the planet, perhaps even their participants' personal well-being, and in a very utilitarian sense, that they will be better for more people over time. Which is all nice and good, but if they have no hope of competing with a short-sighted monster of an economy that strip-mines its way to glorious and alluring short-term wealth, then people will prefer that economy and the sustainable one will fall to the wayside through various means both violent and nonviolent.