Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

She doesn't know what an elevator is, even though there's one in her "house"?

It's really clear they went through some weird rewrites with this character, because a lot of what they say about her early on literally doesn't make sense with what we see. I assume they couldn't get the actress back or something like that, so they just used the audio they had. You can also tell cause the audio quality when Alex talks to her is way, way better than the stuff he says after she's left, meaning it's not just a different recording session but an entirely different location and setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You said you were going to post pictures of your cat, so I want to see those cat pictures. They'll help me ignore the terrible game that you're playing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ZeButler posted:

You said you were going to post pictures of your cat, so I want to see those cat pictures. They'll help me ignore the terrible game that you're playing.

This is Scabs the Cat. She sucks and only loves Katherine.

Her name is Scabs because that's what she's covered in because she likes to scratch herself. Kat's obsessed with me trying to get a recording of her scratching her ear because it sounds like she's underwater.

She doesn't have poo poo on Charlie the dog but Charlie the dog doesn't say much.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 4, 2019

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

She looks like a Very Good Cat. Why would you slander that Very Good Cat?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ZeButler posted:

She looks like a Very Good Cat. Why would you slander that Very Good Cat?

She screams every morning at 5 AM when she poops so we know she did it.

And also hates me and won't sit on my lap and make purrs like she will to my wife. They're practically glued together.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

So I'm guessing the devs couldn't be bothered to record different takes for the panda tutorial, because there's only the one line for the Duelshock. If you're using an Xbox one controller or the keyboard, Panda just says 'You can press circle to summon me'. For the switch version they straight cut out the word 'circle' and called it a day. (And before anyone bust my balls for buying the game, I bought it before all this nasty poo poo came to light. I thought I was just buying a mediocre game with bad VO.)

Also that line delivery from panda, wowsers.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
honestly I'd prefer hearing what y'all have to say about the cutscene dialogue rather than have it be muted, because now I can just barely hear you say stuff but not what you're saying and that bugs me

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
what in god's gently caress

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

honestly I'd prefer hearing what y'all have to say about the cutscene dialogue rather than have it be muted, because now I can just barely hear you say stuff but not what you're saying and that bugs me

That's one of the things I'm still working on. It's all the way enveloped down in Audacity. I'll go reopen it, take a look and if I can improve it I'll remux and reupload. Thank you for the heads up and I appreciate it.

I'm still debating what to do about the in-game voice acting. I know having it and the commentary track going at the same time is confusing.

Edit: after speaking with combat lobster, I'll do both. I'll have one version with commentary over the track and one without with a banner linking to each. Easy. Thanks lobster.

I'll edit this tonight.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 4, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just upload both versions :haw: oh you're doing it

To spoil the joke, post-modern in general (AFAIU) refers to media that critiques itself and its audience's expectations. You can write a lot of dictionary-rear end words about how it's supposed to be a critique of modernism, but that's the long and short of it. Post-modern work tend so be very meta, so expect a post-modern video game to break the fourth wall or directly reference tropes. The movement came about as a way of deflating modernism, essentially a movement towards minimalism and a break from tradition. In incredibly broad strokes, post-modernists claim that modernism throws out the baby with the bathwater; in trying to advance art, culture and so on, they ended up loving things up and reducing those things into soulless, flavorless, derivative industries. That's the best I can do since post-modernism is notoriously hard to define.

Done well, it can be a criticism of what we as a society expect from works of art. How we pigeonhole artists into specific directions in lieu of accepting something new or embracing the unknown, or how we recklessly search for meaning in technological/societal advancement.
Done badly, it ends up being pretentious loving trash

Three guesses no prizes on which end of the quality scale we're on.

Side-note: This is not YIIK's fault, but you'll be upset to know that Alex's VA is just as much of a fuckwit rear end in a top hat as Alex is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yiik isn't postmodern by any definition

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean it is, and honestly that's post-modernism's fault because it is such a vague and nebulous term.

Like I haven't played this game but I'm guessing we're gonna be dealing with people's expectations of our characters and how they are supposed to perform. And oh man, our characters and plot do not conform to the societal standards of RPGs and they actually have weird hobbies unlike what their expected stereotype suggests. I bet the girl we met will reveal she's actually into football contrary to her waify qualities. Aren't we so loving clever for subverting audience expectations.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 4, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I can think of a word that accurately encapsulates a game that exploits a real-life death for cheap... whatever the hell Yiik is trying to accomplish.

And that word is "poo poo."

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

GrandmaParty posted:

She screams every morning at 5 AM when she poops so we know she did it.

And also hates me and won't sit on my lap and make purrs like she will to my wife. They're practically glued together.

Have you tried having a better lap? Also, at least your cat doesn't go running full speed out of the litter box as soon as she finishes pooping.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SSNeoman posted:

I mean it is, and honestly that's post-modernism's fault because it is such a vague and nebulous term.

Like I haven't played this game but I'm guessing we're gonna be dealing with people's expectations of our characters and how they are supposed to perform. And oh man, our characters and plot do not conform to the societal standards of RPGs and they actually have weird hobbies unlike what their expected stereotype suggests. I bet the girl we met will reveal she's actually into football contrary to her waify qualities. Aren't we so loving clever for subverting audience expectations.

I don't think that'd be necessarily postmodern either but also your expectations are way too high for this game

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm going to stick with Katherine's definition of postmodern.

"It's any art I don't like."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

has anyone said "yiikes" yet

I want to be first

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Really Pants posted:

has anyone said "yiikes" yet

I want to be first

Literally everyone who has seen the game in action. I am sorry.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

those don't count

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Just curious -- how long does this go on for? Is rescuing the demon-stolen woman a big part of the plot or just Chapter 1? (I'm guessing that 'rescue her' isn't going to develop in any straightforward way, since this purports to be post-modern, but I do wonder how much there is to the game.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if anything, this game is modernist

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Your cat is really photogenic. Just sitting there calmly posed for the picture.

Behold the only positive thing I'm saying, cause christ, gently caress this game. What the hell was with Alex flipping between narration talk and actual talking. This is why you don't generally voice act narration, jeez. I had to keep pausing the video because I kept getting massively irritated.

Hell, what did the cat actually even steal from Alex. The grocery list? I feel like that hasn't even been established properly.

... they have the panda voice-acting the tutorial instructions for the interface, but it's 'press circle' when you press B.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Imagine being so entranced with the way a probably mentally ill woman died that you make a video game specifically about that, a years-long project. Imagine what you'd say when your friends and family ask what you've been doing the last several months and how you'd explain what you're doing trying to tastefully remake it.

Then think about how you'd explain that the game is starring you.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 5, 2019

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't think we're getting nearly angry enough about the word "Entitress". Why. Why is the game like this. How can a single word so completely betray such an astonishing depth of ignorance on so diverse a range of matters? Why is this author so uncannily able to repeatedly spin their staggering lack of self-awareness into fresh new shimmering multifaceted linguistic catastrophes?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fedule posted:

I don't think we're getting nearly angry enough about the word "Entitress". Why. Why is the game like this. How can a single word so completely betray such an astonishing depth of ignorance on so diverse a range of matters? Why is this author so uncannily able to repeatedly spin their staggering lack of self-awareness into fresh new shimmering multifaceted linguistic catastrophes?

That one really tweaked me too. Like, what is it supposed to be doing? Is it feminizing “entity”? It’s a gender-neutral word already, it doesn’t need it. Just say “female entity” or “feminine entity” or “woman-like entity” or a billion other choices that don’t make you sound like a creep with hella problems with women who sneers :females: unironically.

Some folks on Twitter have taken to call the game YIIK: An Incel RPG, and thus far I’m inclined to agree with them...

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Thanks Fedule, I was trying to ignore that abomination of a "word", but now that you brought it up, I can't. Seriously, "Entitress"? What the gently caress? Did they try to treat "entity" as a gendered word?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

"Entitress" might be the worst word I ever had the misfortune of reading and I watch anime.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Alternate between YIIK updates and cat updates.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

"Entitress" might be the worst word I ever had the misfortune of reading and I watch anime.

It's so bad nobody even noticed that the adjective before it is "Sparkingly."

Sparkingly Entitress.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Entitress is a word that's hard for me to say which only makes me madder that it doesn't need to exist.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Wait I just listened to the conversation again and

he narrates his own line

I mean, it breaks out of the dialog while he clumsily narrates part of the conversation, because the writers aren't good enough to convey their ideas through what the characters say or how they act, so they resort to just reading their intended interpretation of the scene at you (which is bad enough; it's like lovely Fanfiction SOP)

but part of that narration is a verbatim quote

from himself

he narrates himself saying something

e: Okay this is giving me an aneurysm, how are people this bad at writing

look:

a lovely hack posted:

Alex: I said, "Right. I saw a cat earlier. He had a funny mustache and crazy eyes." Naturally, my description of her beloved feline was offensive to her.
Alex: Clearly, this was a woman projecting a rather strong personality onto this cat. She took a deep breath and said quickly --
Sammy: My cat has a beautiful mustache and perfect eyes. I can't imagine we're talking about the same cat.

any sane person who's ever talked to another person in real life posted:

Alex: Right. I saw a cat earlier. He had a funny mustache and crazy eyes.
Sammy: My cat has a beautiful mustache and perfect eyes. I can't imagine we're talking about the same cat.

megane fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 5, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I've re-edited Episode 2. There's now one where we talk over cutscenes and one where we don't. That's how it'll be for the future.

Cutscene Commentary On

Cutscene Commentary Off

As thanks for your patience, here's a picture of the pet that makes Scabs the Cat look like a pile of old droppings.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 5, 2019

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
This game doesn't seem to really have a baseline for what constitutes "weird". The protagonist acts like there's something unusual going on, but his lack of reactions to things and his general nonchalant attitude seem to suggest that at least some of it is supposed to be ordinary. But without knowing what's normal for this setting and what's abnormal, everything's just kind of confusing.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

The dog is nice, but I still prefer the cat. Your cat is very photogenic.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

megane posted:

Wait I just listened to the conversation again and

he narrates his own line

I mean, it breaks out of the dialog while he clumsily narrates part of the conversation, because the writers aren't good enough to convey their ideas through what the characters say or how they act, so they resort to just reading their intended interpretation of the scene at you (which is bad enough; it's like lovely Fanfiction SOP)

but part of that narration is a verbatim quote

from himself

he narrates himself saying something

e: Okay this is giving me an aneurysm, how are people this bad at writing

look:

There IS a reason for the voiced monologue stuff, but it does not excuse anything, especially how boring and repetitive everything he says is

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
My computer crashed during each of the first and second videos. Other YT videos do not do this, so I assume it's just my computer having the natural reaction to being used to watch YIIK.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blastinus posted:

This game doesn't seem to really have a baseline for what constitutes "weird". The protagonist acts like there's something unusual going on, but his lack of reactions to things and his general nonchalant attitude seem to suggest that at least some of it is supposed to be ordinary. But without knowing what's normal for this setting and what's abnormal, everything's just kind of confusing.

When everything is weird and quirky, nothing is.

And that's one of the core problems of the game of that lack of a baseline for "okay, what IS out of the ordinary for this world?" Because there's just so much doofy quirky poo poo going on already, it just makes Alex look even more of a weirdo than normal when he under-reacts and later over-reacts to poo poo. My mind wanders back to that first bit of gameplay footage was was posted in the Request List thread asking for someone to LP YIIK in the first place of Alex just screaming "WOULD SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON?!" over and over in increasingly louder and shriller tones over the span of 5 minutes--while other characters were attempting to explain what was indeed going on at that moment and seemingly ignoring him to do so.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
I don't mind entitress but prefacing it with "sparklingly" makes me cringe every time

and yeah while it's fine to take inspiration from real-world tragedies and the mythology that's formed around them for your game, there's a right way and a wrong way of doing it. as we'll see, YIIK opts for the wrong way

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I want to see the horrible battle sequence.

I want to understand the horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I want to see the horrible battle sequence.

I want to understand the horror.

I hope GrandmaParty is okay with this, otherwise I'll edit it out because it is slightly "spoiler"-y--despite being utterly devoid of context for what could possibly be happening and how it relates to anything currently happening in the LP, but here's a segment of boss fight gameplay that crowfeathers recorded in response to the initial LP request for YIIK a week and a half ago and, well...

lemonade