Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

GrandmaParty posted:

Yiik is gonna die the way she lived

A big

Wet

Fart.

The new ending does absolutely nothing to change this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ground floor! Literally free to go our own way because somehow the place we went before for the other endings??? is now the place where only the true copy of yourself??? exists and thus can just kill them to do away with them forever. Eleventh Hour realization that you are a horrible person outta nowhere, CHECK! Wilfrid? Big massive shrug! Sammy Pak? Still referenced as a thing but never acknowledged as creepy!

Boss battle?

A big

Wet

Fart.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Also, while looking for logic and sensical progression in this game is like panning for gold in one of those pig poo poo lagoons, there is literally no connection between this and finding some glasses for that creepy guy that was purported to be part of the third ending path. Do specific random unrelated poo poo, get the third endinga big wet fart. Pretty much what we've come to expect out of this game.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

“and in the end it was all a big old self-negating time loop, but it wasn’t an utter waste of your time because I learned how to become a good boy, somehow, from you, the player :grin:

sure, why not, now gently caress the entire gently caress off Andrew Allanson Alex Protagonist, at least until you learn to manage your crippling addiction to the smell of your own farts

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Well, at least he cleaned the drat house.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Great, so he's on the level of Jordan Peterson. :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm just going to copy and past what I wrote in the Grandma Discord upon seeing the alleged "Third Ending":

nine-gear crow posted:

Watched the "Third Ending" and, well, I don't know what to think
I agree, it's too well written to seemingly be a part of YiiK, but who knows, maybe Andrew really did take the shitkicking the game got to heart and tried in some small, ultimately pointless way to fix it
It's just a shame that the rest of the game doesn't properly lead into that ending

nine-gear crow posted:

"This is where my character arc should have brought me over the course of the game but didn't, so I'm just going to teleport to my self-realization and then tell you really strongly after the fact that it actually happened and you just didn't notice it."

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love the turbo function to skip loading.

This is pretty obviously cobbled together. You can see the stitched-together assets; the cut out level with the boss still present at the end who you never fight (though Combat Lobster Sour Gumdrop showed that the fight is planned and has coded logic), the lack of tracking for the camera through NuFrankton, the lack of recorded dialogue for the ending, the lack of animations for enemy Essentia, etc...
Odd that Allanson would take that route instead of just hashing out the giant enemy Alex at the end, since that's ultimately where the game was going.

I could write some words about how this is out of character for Essentia, just as the original twist was, but gently caress it. Allanson at least learned what it takes to write a meaningful ending. Like at last the lesson actually sunk into Alex. I'll give props for that, the dude does actually have writing chops. The new final boss music is also WAY better than the original.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 26, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I love the turbo function to skip loading.

This is pretty obviously cobbled together. You can see the stitched-together assets; the cut out level with the boss still present at the end who you never fight (though Combat Lobster showed that the fight is planned and has coded logic), the lack of tracking for the camera through NuFrankton, the lack of recorded dialogue for the ending, the lack of animations for enemy Essentia, etc...
Odd that Allanson would take that route instead of just hashing out the giant enemy Alex at the end, since that's ultimately where the game was going.

I could write some words about how this is out of character for Essentia, just as the original twist was, but gently caress it. Allanson at least learned what it takes to write a meaningful ending. Like at last the lesson actually sunk into Alex. I'll give props for that, the dude does actually have writing chops. The new final boss music is also WAY better than the original.

Yeah, like its kinda lovely that Alex still pins all his woes on a similacra of a woman who he then kills in armed combat and considers that the solution to his problem... but most everything else about the ending works on its head.

It's just a shame that the rest of the game wasn't up to that quality, writing wise.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I downloaded it to avoid giving them views and what a waste of 200 megabytes. God I forgot how ugly this game is. Both visually and everything else.
None of the plot makes sense, still, the characters still suck, this just feels like a terrible fix it fanfic a fan made because they [rightfully] didn't like any of the plot but thought some characters were redeemable. At least Hussie stuck to his guns and is consistent in godawfulness with his Homestuck Epilogues.

Yech!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So let me sum up:

The End. Some Moral, but it's way too shoehorned, way too late and while tentatively valid isn't very functional in the context of this garbage fire.

Now all we need is Pokemon Reborn to come back with episode 19 and our long subforum nightmare will truly be over.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 26, 2019

Deadmans Tea Party
Jan 9, 2019

nine-gear crow posted:

"This is where my character arc should have brought me over the course of the game but didn't, so I'm just going to teleport to my self-realization and then tell you really strongly after the fact that it actually happened and you just didn't notice it."

At the end of the day, it is basically this.

Except, really, he still dragged people into non-existence to fight to be free of manipulation he caused. In the end, if he was the manipulator and not the manipulated, he would not give a poo poo about anyone. We know this because due to multiverse fuckery, he is both.

So really, while this ending is better written and a better narrative, Alex is still a loving self absorbed arsehole who only changes because he literally had to fight against the absolute end result of his arseholery. Then, and only then, does he actually change for the mildly better.

I have no sympathy, empathy or anything for Alex and his journey. gently caress him, gently caress the writer, gently caress this game, and thank Grandma Party and all commentators and thread contributors for making this a bearable experience.

Three endings before character growth, I need a bloody drink.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This ending was definitely included in the game at release, and certainly not thrown together in a panic once the author realized everyone thought his game was poo poo

The fact that the ending lists and addresses many of the major criticisms of the story almost verbatim is just one more sign of his ingenious planning

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So I've only been following at a dim distance but now that the third ending's out, can we confirm whether or not it was accessible at the time when the devs claimed it was?

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Well poo poo. So I guess it was adding up to something, significantly a bit too late. Even in the last fight, it boggles the mind how bad the fight mechanics are, the attacks do so little damage and all. Yet there's so much life in a lot of the artwork.

What else can be said at this point? Y2K? You let me down now, you let me down now, you let me down down down down down down down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INj74XRTXbM

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Huh, seems like the YIIK discord hasn't noticed it yet. You'd think they'd be all over it. I'm curious to see their reaction...

So there's a GrandmaParty discord? How do I get in on that?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Huh, seems like the YIIK discord hasn't noticed it yet. You'd think they'd be all over it. I'm curious to see their reaction...

So there's a GrandmaParty discord? How do I get in on that?

https://discord.gg/ZDn3T8 is an invite link. It's mainly an overflow for guests who record but you're welcome to come hang out.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That spanish is unnaturally formal and stilted, the spacing is weird as hell, there's no tildes and it has the kind of grammar nonsense you'd expect from a machine translation plus exactly one typo that a machine wouldn't make and only a human would.

I'm 99% sure it's written by someone who took a handful of spanish classes and wrote a bit of it then machine translated the rest.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

This is pretty obviously cobbled together. You can see the stitched-together assets; the cut out level with the boss still present at the end who you never fight (though Combat Lobster Sour Gumdrop showed that the fight is planned and has coded logic), the lack of tracking for the camera through NuFrankton, the lack of recorded dialogue for the ending, the lack of animations for enemy Essentia, etc...

My favorite part is how it's noted to be on 'Ver 1.02' just to shut up all the non-believers. (Despite the fact that there's new music, pitch shifted or not.)

Also wasn't Dick supposed to have done VO for this ending?

Either way this ending, real or not, makes me think it's a Fake Fan video with all the cut corners and deffo wasn't worth all the mystery ARG non-sense Andrew was trying to pull. The 3rd ending truly was just a PR stunt to get what few fans of the game to keep playing longer than they had any business to.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 26, 2019

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The obvious question is whether this ending is actually in the game or just in a youtube video, and whether there was a convenient patch that just came out that made it exist.

It's not a question that actually needs to be answered, because who cares, but it is obvious.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What the gently caress was that BGM in the very last scene, though? Holy poo poo, that just completely undermined it for me.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Oh I just remembered, this can't be 1.02 because the pink water texture and the blue water texture aren't Z-fighting like crazy. As evident in Episode 28 of this let's play.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sour Gumdrop posted:

Oh I just remembered, this can't be 1.02 because the pink water texture and the blue water texture aren't Z-fighting like crazy. As evident in Episode 28 of this let's play.

So then... Is it real, or fake? Like, I know it sure feels too good to be true, but is is actually too good to be true? It does seem like it came right out of nowhere and its origin is doubly dubious because Andrew seems to have disappeared completely from all outward accounts. And why has no one seemingly been able to replicate so far?

:tinfoil:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean it's stitched together from existing assets probably by Allanson so yeah it's "real". Can you actually access it if you're not Allanson? No.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What a wet fart.

That has to be the white malest “redemption” arc I’ve ever seen. Alex Allanson clearly does not understand any of the criticism he received but he has learned to rattle off random points ad verbatim. Props for having “what I did was unforgivable” being followed by the party blowing off his confession and forgiving him. That’s how you redeem a character.

And what did all this growth actually do for Alex? He went from being a college dropout mooching off his mom to being a college dropout who does chores sometime.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

So then... Is it real, or fake? Like, I know it sure feels too good to be true, but is is actually too good to be true? It does seem like it came right out of nowhere and its origin is doubly dubious because Andrew seems to have disappeared completely from all outward accounts. And why has no one seemingly been able to replicate so far?

:tinfoil:

It's about as real as that twitter account that found Chad long before anyone else did. The video doesn't go into how to go about unlocking the ending itself; though I'm guessing there's a bunch of prep-work needed to be done before you reach the point in video. Even then none of the known clues were used in the video. No naming the save after a princess, no using a black pill to walk on water, nothing. If this truly was meant as a, 'here's how to get it in a earlier version of the game' then how are all those extra steps with Chad suppose to make finding the ending 'easier' as Andrew has stated? Truth being it doesn't and Andrew and Co. aren't finished 'making it easier to find'. So no one can actually unlock it with their copy.

The YiiK discord don't know what to make of it either. (At least the ones who still give a poo poo.)

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 26, 2019

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Thanks Grandma, I hate it

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Was the third ending supposed to be a New Game+ sort of thing? Because I feel like it's way less impressive than the other ones. Wraps things up better narratively maybe, but ends with Andrew monologuing over a black screen. It just feels tacked on and like it would be borderline incomprehensible without the other endings to go along with it ever give it the context of being "the good one"

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Wow, that was stupid and unearned. Even if we think it's real, which... I'm genuinely not sure. It's definitely the real game assets and such, but it'd be a lot of effort for someone other than the original creators to make this; at the same time, there's a level of self-awareness here (even if incredibly badly written) that would surprise me if it's actually coming from Allanson.

And as others have already pointed out, this video doesn't show how to actually access it, so even if it is by Allanson and/or the Yiik team generally, it's fairly likely not to actually be in the game as it was released and accessible to players. It wouldn't at all be surprising if this was yet another attempt to invalidate the critical dislike for the game, by incorporating a response to some of the criticism and trying to claim they intended this all along. I don't think this actually changes anything, really.

This is yet another failed mess of bad writing on top of what was already a pile of basically nothing else. I'm not sure why anyone should have expected anything different. Die as you lived, Yiik.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I haven't watched yet since I'm at work, but I just don't see the point of revealing this information through an obvious sock puppet account. This isn't the first time Allanson has done this, either.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I think you need some sort of "ice key" to get the third ending.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh I thought it had something to do with Stop n' Swap

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Soooo.... has there been a response in the official Yiikcord? Do other people not on these forums still care about the third ending?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

They're discussing it in the Story channel, but oddly, aren't re-opening the 3rd Ending discussion channel. For the most part it seems muted and a bit disappointed by the content of the ending itself, and the consensus seems to be that the video was likely posted by the devs and probably isn't in the game yet, so none of them are even starting to speculate about how to find it.

I feel a bit bad for the fans of the game, honestly. One actually commented that this shook his/her memory of the quality of the writing, since it was so lackluster in the ending video they're now questioning if the rest of the game was really much better.

The devs continue to be MIA, whereas previously they were relatively active on the discord.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 26, 2019

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Whatever you can say about this game, it gets a whole lot more people thinking about it than it deserves, which is something, I suppose

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Heath posted:

Whatever you can say about this game, it gets a whole lot more people thinking about it than it deserves, which is something, I suppose

Pretentiousness will always draw a crowd, regardless of what it's over. Anybody remember Mdickie and his brand of 'i solved religion with video games' nonsense?

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Drakenel posted:

Pretentiousness will always draw a crowd, regardless of what it's over. Anybody remember Mdickie and his brand of 'i solved religion with video games' nonsense?

Chip and Ironicus recorded a Let’s Play of The You Testament had me gasping with laughter the first time I watched it

O, for a modern pro wrestling game that captures the sweet magical mayhem of the business like MDickie’s did (and does, if you’re patient with it like simosimo is with his ongoing MDickie LP), but god willing with a smidge less jank hell

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SatansOnion posted:

Chip and Ironicus recorded a Let’s Play of The You Testament had me gasping with laughter the first time I watched it

O, for a modern pro wrestling game that captures the sweet magical mayhem of the business like MDickie’s did (and does, if you’re patient with it like simosimo is with his ongoing MDickie LP), but god willing with a smidge less jank hell

For real, simosimo's LP of Wrestling MPire HD is really good and more people should be watching it.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Drakenel posted:

The You Testament part of Supergreatfriend's Life and Times of Bully Demise series is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Welp, went ahead and watched it convinced that it would not ruin commentary for the LP with Diacorn.

"The Wilfrid bares its fangs!!!"

Looks like a real actual boss fight to me, and not just shuffling of assets to make a supposed third ending.

Especially with how nothing is voice acted given how much of the rest of the game is voice acted.