Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lofi posted:

Just finished reading, and enjoyed it more than I expected.

What struck me most (aside from 'lol, bear fucker') was how much the novel is about nearly doing stuff. Lou nearly gets back to nature (except for the tourists buzzing about the place and her garden being poo poo), she nearly fucks the bear. The bear itself isn't totally a creature of nature, it's been kept in a cage and domesticated. I like that in the story, it adds an ambiguity that a straight 'back to the land = happygood' would be missing.

Yeah, I liked this about the book. The librarian has an extremely difficult time having a "complete" relationship, most likely because of trauma from being burned by past partners (at least one of which is explicitly mentioned in the story). She actually likes the Director and Homer, but still can't manage to make a real connection with them beyond screwing.

lofi posted:

It's quite impressive how badly this misses the point - the bear isn't anthropomorphic at all, that's its whole point, it's not even called by a name other than 'bear'

The illustration is of a bear being brought into the human world, the book is about a human becoming more bear-like.

The librarian does anthropomorphize the bear though, right? Unless thats what you mean. She thinks the bear is giving her facial expressions and that the bear somehow has "depth". The funniest thing is when the Director sends her that second letter and she tells him in her head to "Go screw a book". Because thats pretty much what shes been doing via the bear. She can't call him Trelawny because the bear is just one more of her incomplete relationships. The bear can't (won't?) gently caress her because obviously its a bear and is not interested romantically in her. A part of her knows this, since she has to keep rubbing stuff on her vag so the bear can eat her out. Also sometimes the bear will just wander off while doing so (LOL).

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

lofi posted:

The getting bored and wandering off made me laugh, too. I guess she does interpret the bear's moods, yeah. I'd been more thinking of how often the text refers to it as unknowable/unreadable/etc, but that's more a third-person description than Lou's own. Christ, you know you've got issues when you're shagging a bear and you can't even interpret its moods.

Poor bear, it never asked for any of this poo poo.

The Homer stuff felt weird to me - did she show any sign of being into him before he grabbed her rear end? It felt almost like she was convincing herself to like him - ditto the director. Both guys who shoved themself on her and she went with the flow. I'm not sure on that, it might just be the book's age making it read that way.

I don't have the book in front of me, but I do remember it saying that she loved the Director for a week and that she thought he was charming. What she thinks of Homer might be a bit more complex, and on second thought I probably need to look through the book again to see what she thought of him. Despite my profile saying that I'm a porpoise, I'm a dude and biased etc. so I'd be interested to read more opinions from women on what they thought about the librarian's relationships.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

And I am super happy I didn't get tricked in Book was better than I expected, but winning a GG's award seems far fetched.

I'm not super familiar with canadian authors, do you think there was another book that could have won that award that year?