Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

chernobyl kinsman posted:

ya that too. It’s totally depersonalized

This book does a lot with the reception of the English Romantics and their place, and the place of English (literary) history, in Canadian (literary) identity, but I’m not sure I know enough about either the Romantics or Canada to work out quite what it is. Something, I think, about the inherent absurdity of importing the romantic worldview (shaped as it was by the tamed English countryside) into the wild and fierce Canadian wildernsss (recall the absurdity and impracticality of building a Fowler octagon house out there). But then some kind of reconciliation is achieved between the two when the bear sticks its tongue in her vagooch as shown by her final reflection as she paddles down the river, overwhelmed by the beauty of the scene, and wonders “have anyone since the Romantics ever really seen?

or something, maybe, I dunno
I guess you could say that in Bear the Romantic concept of the sublime, particularly the grotesque, is much more accessible, to the point where it is casually intruding on ordinary lives. Like you could start out a mild-mannered archivist on a business trip and before you know it you're begging a bear to separate your head from your body?

People like to re-imagine the cover: https://hazlitt.net/feature/bear-re-imagined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

lofi posted:

Plus, I was totally right in slagging off the cover on my version:

That's fanart. Not an actual cover.

This is the actual Penguin cover: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/46558/bear-by-marian-engel

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

lofi can you post a photo of your version with that cover?