Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Badger of Basra posted:

OP could you (or one of the other israeli posters in the thread) talk about how arab israelis feel about the israeli-palestinian conflict (and vice versa)

Not Israeli, spent a bunch of time in Israel/Palestine and am a Hebrew speaker, but I can elucidate a little bit on this.

First, the term "Arab Israeli" is not preferred amongst that specific community, the proper term (or more preferred) term being 'Palestinian Israelis' and depending on who you talk to, it might simply be 'Palestinian'. Palestinian Israelis see themselves as part and parcel of the wider Palestinian nation, and their sympathies lie not with the Israeli state or Israeli Jews, but with the Palestinian nation. Very few think of the Jewish state as a good idea, even fewer will bring themselves to vote for Jewish political parties, and even fewer than that will seek to volunteer in the IDF. They are discriminated against culturally and politically, with the recent Nation State Law stripping Arabic of its status as an official language, and is merely noted as a 'language of importance' - and this law also noted Jews as the only people allowed to have 'national self-determination' in Israel.

That being said, the majority of Palestinian Israelis support some concept of the two state solution - an Israel and Palestine living together on/within internationally recognized borders, but the key thing that they want in addition to that is for the Israeli government to (finally) recognize the Right of Return that Palestinians have to the land that they left. This is of course a non starter within Israeli society, especially within the racist right wing, but that's a discussion for a different time. I would say 50-55% of Palestinian Israelis support an idea of a two state solution, I would say another 30-35% support a binational one state solution, and then after that an incredibly small minority that advocate for 'other' solutions - typically the replacing of the Jewish ethnostate with a Palestinian ethnostate, or an Islamic state. The right wing in Israel would have you believe that this small minority represents all Palestinians, do not believe them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU