Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the inadvisably big dog is a treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Does anyone want to talk about Piranesi?

From what I can figure out, the Chaplains are:

The Reformer - On the Berenger you can hear a story of how it was a servant who convinced the King Who Speaks to go join the revolutionaries. The storyteller in the well describes how this led to the King Who Speaks getting murdered by the revolutionaries. Thus, The Reformer was this servant. The Halved then created Piranesi specifically to punish this servant, for committing such a huge crime and causing the Halved to basically go dark.

The Deformer - Servant of a "lightless star", e.g. the Halved. Hard to pin down exactly who this might be, though.

The Conformer - A lady-pirate who was also famous and extraordinary. Probably the Pirate Poet.

The Performer - The Dark-Spectacled Admiral who gives the player money for port reports in Sunless Seas. The Reformer basically confirms it: was from Old London, fled a false God (the dawn machine), constantly wore sunglasses to hide his blue eyes (iirc you find this out if you sell him the Memento Mori; he wants people to believe that he's a servant of the dawn machine, but he lacks the tell-tale gold flecks in his eyes, they're just blue). The Reformer confirms that his personality has completely changed.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

In a previous post I wrote that the Deformer used to be a Servitor for the Halved, then changed itself into a human, then changed itself again to become whatever it is now. I don't recall exactly how I learnt that but I don't think I made it up.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BBJoey posted:

In a previous post I wrote that the Deformer used to be a Servitor for the Halved, then changed itself into a human, then changed itself again to become whatever it is now. I don't recall exactly how I learnt that but I don't think I made it up.

Yeah the Reformer gives you that info when you cozy up to them. Not sure if the Deformer has any other special identity beyond that, though

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Not that I found while poking around Piraneesi. Servitors seem like pretty weird dudes, it'd be cool to learn more about them.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

QuarkJets posted:

Does anyone want to talk about Piranesi?

From what I can figure out, the Chaplains are:

The Reformer - On the Berenger you can hear a story of how it was a servant who convinced the King Who Speaks to go join the revolutionaries. The storyteller in the well describes how this led to the King Who Speaks getting murdered by the revolutionaries. Thus, The Reformer was this servant. The Halved then created Piranesi specifically to punish this servant, for committing such a huge crime and causing the Halved to basically go dark.

The Deformer - Servant of a "lightless star", e.g. the Halved. Hard to pin down exactly who this might be, though.

The Conformer - A lady-pirate who was also famous and extraordinary. Probably the Pirate Poet.

The Performer - The Dark-Spectacled Admiral who gives the player money for port reports in Sunless Seas. The Reformer basically confirms it: was from Old London, fled a false God (the dawn machine), constantly wore sunglasses to hide his blue eyes (iirc you find this out if you sell him the Memento Mori; he wants people to believe that he's a servant of the dawn machine, but he lacks the tell-tale gold flecks in his eyes, they're just blue). The Reformer confirms that his personality has completely changed.

Yeah, the Conformer is the Pirate Poet and it's depressing as heck to see what she's been turned into. Also, it bummed me out super hard when I realized who The Performer was. The Dark-Spectacled Admiral paying for port reports was pretty much the only way to make good money in the early stages of Sunless Seas. That dude kept me alive, and he was always so dry and witty, he ended up being one of my favorite characters. I never really cared much for London or the Empire, but the Admiral was always my Captain's best friend :smith: I wish there was a way to set them both free.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also just learned that the grey conformer was a seeker of the cup

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Man, I got my backer starchart in the mail finally and my name in my feature is misspelled.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Small thread on why the devs decided to make the Reach the game's introductory region

https://twitter.com/CHGardiner/status/1143856730184605696?s=19

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

Small thread on why the devs decided to make the Reach the game's introductory region

https://twitter.com/CHGardiner/status/1143856730184605696?s=19

All makes sense to me

I like how the game starts out, I just wish there was deeper content for the Stovepipes and the Tacketies. I think it's good that the war between them is pointless, which I believe is intentional, but if this was Sunless Seas then there would have been some remarkable revelation at the end of a quest line. As-is the content between them is disjointed and ends abruptly; sabotage a factory here, disgrace a public figure there, but nothing really interesting. Or at least nothing that I've seen

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, I'm enjoying the new enemy ships and the new King Hobo officer

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

QuarkJets posted:

Also, I'm enjoying the new enemy ships and the new King Hobo officer

I've only come across the fungal thing in the reach, looking forward to seeing the new Tackety/Stovepipe whips.

A little disappointed the Tacketies aggro driving has been nerfed; it annoyed me as a mechanic starting out but adds character to them.

QuarkJets posted:

All makes sense to me

I like how the game starts out, I just wish there was deeper content for the Stovepipes and the Tacketies.

I love their reasoning - very thoughtful and literary, for lack of a better term. Totally on board.

But yeah, New Winchester is and remains a complete ghost town in terms of story for the whole game, and they really need to fix that.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the blue kingdom loving sucks

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the blue kingdom feels appropriate for an end-game zone, and I really like the lore there

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah the Blue Kingdom was the area that fully scratched my Sunless Sea itch in a way that the Reach and Albion didn’t, and Eleuthera only partly did. Maybe the fact it’s the most tedious of the areas unironically helped :v:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hate the logoi with my life

the stories are ok but difficult to engage with due to the awful horrible enemies

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Where is the new hobo? I had a quick flick through someone's YT video and it looked like London, but he wasn't there when I checked.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i hate the logoi with my life

the stories are ok but difficult to engage with due to the awful horrible enemies

I've had success just strafing away (insert Zoidberg noise here), but they're actually not that tough to fight when you figure out the strategy.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I found him at the circus

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I too found him at the circus

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

And yeah logoi aren't bad, their stuff is easy enough to dodge. You really need high damage output though, living embodiments of a star's language apparently have a lot of vitality

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Well, crap. Did the whole Vagabond quest and switched the cups, might as well not have bothered.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 29, 2019

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally got the last thing i needed to write the song of the sky.

Is it worth ending the game asap, or is there other stuff i should do? I haven't been to the Blue Kingdom, and have only uncovered half of Elutheria. Finished off a decent number of companion quests tho.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GoluboiOgon posted:

Is it worth ending the game asap, or is there other stuff i should do? I haven't been to the Blue Kingdom, and have only uncovered half of Elutheria. Finished off a decent number of companion quests tho.

I say you keep exploring until you get bored, but it's all up to you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GoluboiOgon posted:

I think you should finish any sidequests that you really want to see the end of right now, and then start a new character. Then once you've started on one of the higher-difficulty ambitions you can let it naturally take you back to Eleutheria and the Blue Kingdom. When you retire, your next character will start with a substantial fraction of your current experience, your map, your current engine, all of your equipment, and everything in your bank, so it's not as much of a setback as it may seem. Many of the officer quests also remain completed, so if you pick them up again they'll already be in whatever superior state you left them in.

Keep in mind that your associations determine what possessions your next character will start with; +2 Establishment means you'll keep up to 2 of your most valuable Establishment possessions. So if you happen to be near a place where you can offload a lot of possessions for cash, consider doing that. Also, you lose half of your sovereigns but you get to keep everything that's in your bank, so don't sell the stuff in your bank and maybe empty out your hold right before you retire.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I finally got around to finishing the Fatalistic Signaller's question, didn't think I was going to miss having Eeyore around, but there you go.

I want to complete the Song of the Sky and start a new captain but I still have the Clay Conductor and Captivating Princess storylines left to finish. I think I used my Testament of Salt for the CC on something else and can't remember how to get another one, for the Princess I just can't remember where the stupid crossroads in Eleutheria is. I think my game is bugged because I don't ever get an option to harvest Chorister Bee souls for the other option for her.

Speaking of which, I want to just say again how well done Eleutheria is - a friend of mine is an antiquities dealer and focuses a fair bit on the Victorian/Georgian time period, so a lot of the visual and thematic elements have kind of osmotically entered my brain from hanging out with him and looking at some of the artwork at his place. Reading this blog post from one of the artists really made it "click" for me as to why I liked it.

Although Sunless Skies isn't a perfect game, it has a lot of good things going for it and I hope we get more updates, maybe even a Zubmariner style expansion.

edit: not really keen to break out Cheat Engine for ~reasons~ but listening to podcasts between ports is nice.

edit2: So I had the Testament of Salt after all and did the thing at Forge of Souls... before I'd finished the clay singing storyline. Does this mean I'm stuck with non-upgraded Clay Conductor?

nm, had the event fire, all good.

Found the crossroads for Princess. I got the event to fire and tell me to go to Pirenesi, which I did... despite the fact I'd forgotten her in Albion doing the Salon thing. Bit of a trek ahead of me...

edit3: Blue Kingdom spoiler: Man was I happy to get the Blue Kingdom embassy quest... here's to hoping I can salvage something out of Hybras. Also, that procedure for talking to whatshername, yikes.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 20, 2019

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1156220332262510592

:toot: :toot:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
Oh thank loving god they're actually fixing the travel slog. Engine upgrades and being able to build new relays to skip having to loving detour through the starting area every single time I have to go anywhere? Yes please!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Holy poo poo, alluding to being able to gently caress a former Master of Old London

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

quote:

An opportunity to construct an additional transit relay. This will be a substantial undertaking, but once complete, it will provide captains with a quick and convenient route between two previously unconnected regions of the Skies.

Can't be the Reach because it's connected to all of them already.
Probably not the Blue Kingdom - the transit relay is already pretty convenient to New Winchester so I can't see them thinking players are crying out to make it more accessible.

So my guess is Albion <-> Eleutheria

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Holy poo poo, alluding to being able to gently caress a former Master of Old London

it's Mr Fires

he loves london. he really loves london :q:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It’s Mr Eaten

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved
The new update has dropped. Looks pretty good so far. Added engines to the trains so we maybe can stop using cheat engine to speed the drat thing up, a quest chain to build a relay between Albion and Eleutheria, another new quest involving the Devils, a new Quartermaster, and a bunch of little bug fixes. Also a "contact us" hotkey for reporting bugs or just yelling at the company.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh nice!

https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1185602974158118912

quote:

“The Sovereign Edition will add new stories when your crew is starving. As their desperation grows, you’ll be able to try and eat a variety of unwise, unpleasant or tragic things. By that point, your mascot probably looks quite tasty,” says Narrative Director Chris Gardiner.

“We’re overhauling the character progression user interface, and introducing a range of new Facets to define your captain’s past. Perhaps you lost your soul (and found it again), or attended a seance. Perhaps you have a hobby, or are close to rats, Devils, spies or Rubbery Men. Experienced captains will be able to continue to raise their stats even after reaching the level cap, extending the late game experience.”

“We’ve made significant changes for the console versions to enable smooth and intuitive play using a controller. And there’ll also be new opportunities for traders to exploit, and a new exotic engine to acquire, which skilled players in particular may find rewarding. It’s a big, exciting update which we like to imagine will be the jewel in Sunless Skies‘ crown.”

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Very cool news! I don't have a console, but have been rather idly wanting a Switch for a while - Seas/Skies would be great to have on the couch/go. Hopefully Zubmariner is included.

edit: just read the email from FB, the console version of Seas will include Zubmariner :getin:

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 19, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That's pretty cool!

I got into Zubmariner way late, after everyone else had already played it, and I really liked how that expansion changed the game. Underwater it feels like you can just coast around killing enemies and gathering loot, it really makes the game a lot easier since the frequency for enemies that drop high-value things is much higher underwater. It feels like an obvious step toward the even-further relaxing of the economics game in Sunless Skies, where you'll probably never struggle for income unless you really screw up

And I'm glad that there will be more progression options after hitting the level cap. I don't know why Sunless Skies has a level cap in the first place but it feels like a design mistake

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 19, 2019

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

QuarkJets posted:

And I'm glad that there will be more progression options after hitting the level cap. I don't know why Sunless Skies has a level cap in the first place but it feels like a design mistake

The feeling of sheer frustration losing stat points at level cap should have gotten caught in testing, I'm still baffled by it.

My gut says at some point in design they intended to guide players away from "my one captain that does every single story" in favor of multiple playthroughs that move faster due to shared maps. Then they added stuff like free 50 people from workworlds and welp. Also the early game content is not interesting enough to truly warrant many playthroughs, and all the interesting decisions are pretty deep.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Personally I think I'll wait to continue my playthrough until Sovereign edition hits, the level cap is such a deep frustration, especially as it seems I likely misleveled my current character compared to my officer stats and now I don't know what to do

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
Yeah, by far the biggest weakness of the game is it puts you in the single most boring, poorly written region as your start. Reach is boring Sunless Seas with more bugs.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Any thoughts on whether we'll get a Zubmariner style expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Beat it.

I wouldn't recommend this game without speedhacking it with Cheat Engine to relieve the tedium of the main gameloop, tbh. (Who thought that travel speed was a good idea? I took a look and even the easiest Ambition has a completion rate of 3% and I am pretty sure this is mostly why.) If you actually want to do more than one Ambition, the Save Editor is a must as well, unless you have a delibitating fetish for grinding the same fixed story content over and over to level up enough to do the new bits.

I did enjoy a lot of the world-building and writing, though.