Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Megazver posted:

Who thought that travel speed was a good idea?

The sexpest studio founder and now ex-employee / founder of Weather Factory Alexis Kennedy. He once said that he would have as an epitaph "THE SHIP GOES SLOW".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I assume it was to build tension given the importance fuel/food/fear can have on your crew but in practice it discourages exploration and travel in a game that is 90% exploration/travel oriented.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Cantorsdust posted:

The sexpest studio founder and now ex-employee / founder of Weather Factory Alexis Kennedy. He once said that he would have as an epitaph "THE SHIP GOES SLOW".

It was mostly a rhetorical question - I am fairly aware of all the drama surrounding the game. But, well, he might have certainly said that, but then they did an entire new game without him and the travel is still tedious enough to use in Guantanamo along with Enter Sandman.

I am still a little buttsore about this, haha.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megazver posted:

It was mostly a rhetorical question - I am fairly aware of all the drama surrounding the game. But, well, he might have certainly said that, but then they did an entire new game without him and the travel is still tedious enough to use in Guantanamo along with Enter Sandman.

I am still a little buttsore about this, haha.

You should be.

The ship being slow is fine for the first few parts of the game where you're just starting out and exploring poo poo near by, but you really should be able to make the ship go faster as you have to travel further and further away.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You should be.

The ship being slow is fine for the first few parts of the game where you're just starting out and exploring poo poo near by, but you really should be able to make the ship go faster as you have to travel further and further away.

You can. They added engine upgrades in the Hoarder Update that came out in September 2019, together with Full Steam Mode and the constructable Albion-Eleutheria Transit Relay.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 27, 2020

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThaumPenguin posted:

You can. They added engine upgrades in the Hoarder Update that came out in September 2019, together with Full Steam Mode and the constructable Albion-Eleutheria Transit Relay.

I know, but they're not nearly as fast as they should be.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I agree that the upgraded engines could have a bit more punch to them. Also, Full Steam Mode should absolutely have more of a punch, the discrepancy between the visuals and the fairly meager speed boost makes it all feel a bit underwhelming. That said, I don't think I'd want too much of a boost in the early- to early-mid game.

The Sovereign update will supposedly include a quest for a Fulgent Impeller-style ultimate engine, so there's at least that to look forwards to.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Speaking of the Sovereign update, Failbetter's been quiet about it since they announced the performance-induced delay a while back.

They did however just post this:

https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1332266608149090304?s=20

Hopefully it won't just be another update to Fallen London, the whole "play a little, but in regular, consistent bursts" just doesn't gel with how I play games.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ThaumPenguin posted:

That said, I don't think I'd want too much of a boost in the early- to early-mid game.

Yeah I'm fine with the ship in early and midgame being a bit slow, that adds to the excitement and thrill of trying to get to a port before you run out of fuel. But once you reach the end game and have unlocked every map and have to travel between them for quests you REALLY should be able to go WAY faster.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
the way to play any of these games is to have cheat engine and have a 1x 2x and 3x and maybe later 10x speed binding

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Mostly what I use this game for now (after the first 60-odd hours of play) is leisurely trading while I'm also watching TV. I added a bunch of storage to my ship and I just make the rounds buying everything from the bazaars and harvesting honey and then storing it all in my bank until a prospect pops up.

Full Steam Mode sucks because it usually just results in me plowing unstoppably into obstacles, and you can't even interact with stuff while you're using it. I miss the full power thing from Sunless Seas, where it worked just like the normal engine but faster, but also had a chance to make your engine explode.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Attaching an experimental mining drill to the front of my train so I don't have to turn off Full Steam Mode just for the sake of some settlement

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you guys don't mind playing a pure text game, Superluminal Vagrant Twin aims at a fairly similar experience, except travelling between ports takes a single typed command, which makes it 500% superior to SS. And the writing is actually on a similar level of quality as well.

It's a limited parser game, which means you have to type in commands but there is a very limited amount of them that is explicitly explained to you and you never have to play 'guess the verb', and you can play it in the browser.

The page I linked to is kind of the IMDB for text games. Press Play Online in the top right corner to actually play.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 28, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

when i finally got full steam mode activated i could not stop laughing that it was like 10% faster than normal

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This game is unspeakably boring. I just spent an hour crawling the skies without seeing a single other port, then ran out of supplies and gave up.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

This game is unspeakably boring. I just spent an hour crawling the skies without seeing a single other port, then ran out of supplies and gave up.

Gotta use the bat.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Failbetter just announced Mask of the Rose, it's a dating sim taking place a few months after London's fall.

https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1334108620104069121?s=19

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Can’t wait to sloooowly trudge through the streets of London towards the restaurant to meet my date only to starve to death before I got there because I didn’t put enough mints in my pocket before I left.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"yes, i agree to a second date, but i must finish my mural first. i require eighteen thousand fragments of jade"

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I must admit I am somewhat curious as to how exactly they'll make this irritating to play, mechanically.

Also, Rubbery Man romance or GTFO.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Megazver posted:

That was actually an option in Sunless Seas (although all the romance options in that were pretty perfunctory).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megazver posted:

Strong agree.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Is there any update on when the console version is coming out?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Is there any update on when the console version is coming out?

They snuck it into the press release about the new game; all three have been submitted so there's an unknown waiting period for Nintendo et al to look them over and come back with any fixes that need to be made, then do that and resubmit.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I finally picked up Skies and... I just don’t like it as much as I liked Seas? I’m not sure why, it just doesn’t have the atmosphere that Seas had, which was honestly what kept me going through Seas more tedious parts. Maybe it’s because the first part takes place in broad daylight.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Reach is sort of a soft start meant to help ease you into the game, the other regions have very different feels to them.

You'll love Eleutheria, trust me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsSB8LKCAZM

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I didn't like Eleutheria, tbh.

Albion is probably the best region, overall.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eleutheria ended up being one of my most memorable and exciting gaming experiences in Sunless Skies because I didn't find Pan the first time I was there, I stuck to the edges, and Pan is always in the center Because of this I had no way to repair my ship so the game suddenly became a survival horror (even more so than it usually is) as I desperately moved from port to port until I reached Eagle's Empyrean.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

ThaumPenguin posted:

The Reach is sort of a soft start meant to help ease you into the game, the other regions have very different feels to them.

You'll love Eleutheria, trust me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsSB8LKCAZM

Eleutheria is definitely my favourite area in terms of atmosphere, at least as good as Seas.

New Winchester is a terrible starting base and feels like uncompleted Early Access material. I think the idea of starting at an outpost rather than London is solid, but the execution is very weak - there just isn't much content.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I love coming back to the Reach after extended trips (it feels like a breath of fresh air, especially after Albion) and consider New Winchester to be my character(s) "home", but it could definitely do with more content, especially in the mid- and late game.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Thought I'd post this (admittedly month old) status update on Sovereign Edition:

Failbetter - A Quick Update on the Sovereign Edition posted:

We last shared news about the Sovereign Edition of Sunless Skies in early December, after we submitted builds for console certification. We know many people are eagerly awaiting it, so we wanted to share a brief status update.

In most respects the Sovereign Edition is now in very good shape, but we’re still seeing some challenging performance problems that mean it’s not ready for release, especially in some parts of Eleutheria.

Our porting partners are currently focusing on this. Since it’s sometimes hard to tell how much a particular optimisation will help before implementing it, we still can’t announce a release date. What we can say for now is that the earliest possible release date would be in March, and that when we can set a date with confidence, we’ll let you know. In the meantime, thank you for bearing with us – it’s been a long wait, but we hope you’ll find it worth it.

I'd honestly love to start my playthrough over, see what the progression is like with all the changes since release (as well as what SE will bring), especially with the engine system they added ages ago. That is to say I mostly want a good excuse to try out all the different horns. Honestly what I'd prefer would be a clean start where everything is reset except for my completion of the three standard ambitions, for the facets. If that's not possible, I might just try to rush a few of them, and then go for Martyr King's Cup.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 26, 2021

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

ThaumPenguin posted:

Thought I'd post this (admittedly month old) status update on Sovereign Edition:

I'd honestly love to start my playthrough over, see what the progression is like with all the changes since release (as well as what SE will bring), especially with the engine system they added ages ago. That is to say I mostly want a good excuse to try out all the different horns. Honestly what I'd prefer would be a clean start where everything is reset except for my completion of the three standard ambitions, for the facets. If that's not possible, I might just try to rush a few of them, and then go for Martyr King's Cup.

I'm going to assume when they say they're having problems with optimization and console porting, they mean that the Switch can barely run it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Hopefully all the optimization they've been working on for the last several months (and continue to work on) means that we won't get as many framerate issues from doing a lot of dialogue/story in a single port without exiting.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Here we... here we... here we loving go!!!

https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1387361156222836739

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

about goddamn time!!!!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
That's nice.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011
Anyone know if the update will break saves? I just bought the game on the steam sale and am only a couple hours in. Should I just wait for the update and play with a fresh save?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Robo-Slap posted:

Anyone know if the update will break saves? I just bought the game on the steam sale and am only a couple hours in. Should I just wait for the update and play with a fresh save?

I read the Kickstarter update and it won't. Safe for you to start playing. Very old saves before the Wayfarer update will lose the player location and restart you at the New Winchester, but otherwise will still work.

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

I read the Kickstarter update and it won't. Safe for you to start playing. Very old saves before the Wayfarer update will lose the player location and restart you at the New Winchester, but otherwise will still work.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I last played Sunless Skies in April 2019. Is it worth playing now? Should I get a new save?