Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GamingHyena posted:

I last played Sunless Skies in April 2019. Is it worth playing now? Should I get a new save?

If by "now" you mean after Sovereign Edition launches on May 19th, then yes. If not, then I suggest waiting until it's out. It's a huge (free) overhaul that's intended to solve a lot of the annoyances of the original game, I think it might also add some more content.

I'm personally planning to start an entirely new lineage, as I want to experience the game's new progression following Sovereign and all the preceding content updates. That is to say, I want to honk all the horns.

If you last played in April 2019 there's a bunch of new content already, including two officers and a new mascot. There's also new ships for both sides of the civil war as well as a quest to create a new direct relay between Albion and Eleutheria. Oh and every locomotive has unique horns for you to honk. That said, with Sovereign so close you might as well let those three weeks pass before starting your new playthrough.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Saw a bunch of posts in this thread and hoped... glad it came to pass!

It will be interesting to see how new players on console respond to the game. It seems like a lot of the content and fixes they've added is for lategame, but as far as I can tell they've not added anything to New Winchester so it's probably going to be the same empty, underwhelming starting area it's been since launch.

A little concerned about removing custom mapping of gamepad inputs on PC but hopefully the "third party software" they mentioned as a workaround includes Steam - I use the Steam controller for Skies and would like to continue to do so.

I am interested to see reviews for the Switch version - hopefully the optimisations are able to keep it running reasonably well. Don't know that I *need* to buy it on another platform, but it'd be nice to have the option (and support the devs).

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Double postin' - Cultist Simulator is on Humble Bundle atm, so if you're interested in checking it out, probably a good opportunity to bang that "developers" slider all the way to the left and don't worry about giving Alexis Kennedy money.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Or any of the other devs who also have games in that bundle.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Megazver posted:

Or any of the other devs who also have games in that bundle.

It was all high fantasy shite that I will literally never play so I can't say I feel bad about making it 2/3 charity, 1/3 Humble :shrug:

I might poke around in Imperator: Rome if I ever find myself curious, but rest assured that Paradox has hoovered up plenty of my money already between games and DLC's.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Thea is a pretty cool slavic 4X-slash-RPG and SteamWorld is a pretty good deckbuilder about adorable steampunk robots.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Are anybody else here planning to start a new lineage? I'm thinking of going Fame -> [secret ambition] myself. Might make one of my captains pro-empire as that's something I never really delved into on my original playthrough.

I'm just now realizing this means I'll finally get to see a new tragic outcome for Hybras, so that's nice.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's out, babes

https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1394986455727054848?s=19

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

So, anyone playing?

I was going to finally finish my first game (Song of the Sky) and start a new captain to play through with the Sovereign mechanics, but realised I must have traded the Captivating Treasure away at some point so still some work to do. In the meantime I got the new engine (after accidentally buying a second Tisiphone, not realising I already had one equipped) which is... fine. I had definitely read "new engine" as "new locomotive" in the lead-up to the release so was a little disappointed there.

Bit more stuttering on my PC than I remember, but according to Steam it's been the better part of two years since I last played, so who's to say? Does make me a bit gunshy about buying the Switch port though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just started playing the game today.

Anything I should know? Any unofficial mod that is a 'must have' ? Any trap in the character progression to avoid? any advice for noobs that is only obvious with hindsight?

Robo-Slap
Jun 5, 2011
Number one thing to know is to install Cheat Engine and double the game speed.

To make money early on, grab port reports and any bargains you see in the way, store the goods in the bank, then sell at prospects.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Robo-Slap posted:

Number one thing to know is to install Cheat Engine and double the game speed.

Yeah. I actually put speeds x1 through x4 on the 1-4 keys and they've all been useful.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

I just started playing the game today.

Anything I should know? Any unofficial mod that is a 'must have' ? Any trap in the character progression to avoid? any advice for noobs that is only obvious with hindsight?

For the first several trips, majorly overstock on fuel and supplies, until you've located a few other ports and gotten the feel of how much fuel/supplies you need to not die.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

And that's me after living a thrilling adventure to discover where the hell was Titania.

I will play a pair of hours more like this, and then it will be time for Cheat Engine judicious use of... 25% more speed.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
The other way to have cheat engine speed hack work is to bind it to your shift key so you can hold it to “sprint” and then go back to normal for combat maneuvering. But binding to keys 1-4 is a good idea too.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Rather than going for Cheat Engine right away, you could also just invest in a better engine. Once you leave the Reach you'll be able to get ones with Full Steam mode, which allows you to go beyond your normal max speed, in exchange for shutting down your weapons and limiting maneuverability while it's active.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I fully advocate cheating in both Sunless games to get through the tedium a little faster. I just wish there weren't barriers to run into everywhere in Skies so speed would be a little more useful. I can understand why the maps just being featureless voids might not be aesthetically appealing, but I missed the openness of the zee.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Skies has a very weird difficulty curve where the beginning learning period sucks with a slow, rickety train that's likely to die horribly without finding anything. Then once you get a fast, tanky train kitted out with all the bells and whistles you'll almost never die or be caught and can freely explore the map making money constantly - which then leads to death by hubris from fear/nightmares.

I don't know if I can suggest skipping that first phase or not from being slow as it does teach you a whole bunch about the game; especially, that death isn't the end.

Or to properly fear The Guests

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally gave up and did a spreadsheet:

See that developers? You can see all the resources you need in one go, the locations, your can order or filter by region to plan your journey, etc.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think a good beginning tip is to find the nature reserve because the researcher there will give you ludicrous amounts of money just for going around the reach

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Money is notably easier to get, in comparison with Sunless Sea. A marked improvement. And the new ‘trading’ system (instead of fixed routes where you buy low and sell high, it’s more dynamic with random bargains and prospects) is clearly better.

On the other hand, while the UI is mostly good, the Journal really needs something like 3 sub-tabs, a single huge list is too awkward to handle. The completed quests should go to a different tab, and the companions quests and secondments should go to another one.

Another small UI’s problem is the reuse of some icons for some events/token. It gets confusing, because you see the icon of a trade resource, and you think he is requesting 1 of X, but no, they are just reusing the art.

…and yet another nagging UI issue, when you use a event-trade (trade unseasoned souls for terror tales, for example), if you hover the mouse over the icon, you see how many you have of whatever resource you are going to spend, but you have no idea of how many you have of the resources you are going to get. This is important because sometimes a port gives you three options
exchange resource X for A
exchange resource X for B
exchange resource X for C
so you really need to know the quantities of A, B and C you own, before deciding which trade to do.

Still, all these UI small flaws are that, small flaws. My impression of the game, now that I have done 15 hours on it, it’s very positive. Brilliant setting, a mad medley of fantasy, scifi, a bigger streak of cosmic horror than in Sunless Sea, and of course all infused with Victorian clockwork/steampunk. And the idea of space steam trains crossing the Ether and people getting out in space in old diving suits of bronze and leather crack me up, it’s cooler than ships on a underground sea.
Also worth praising is the idea of the empire sustained by Hours, calcifying even more the British Empire into a ugly monster whose upper class is eternal and unchanging, while doing it using the very compatible concepts with the style of the lore: mining and using Time sounds like the typical metaphor as magic from urban fantasy that the lore likes to use, as the use of Time in looms to be processed and in industry like in Workworlds gives it a good Victorian spin.

The art really elevates the game by the way, the writing is of course good and vivid on its own, but seeing it in addition to reading it produces a synergistic effect. The combat isn’t the star of the show but at least it’s more agile and interesting when it happens, the character progression is better paced thanks to a easier economy, allowing to focus more on the meat, the narratives. Which there are a lot, they are varied as they are interesting.

The only real flaw is that you still have to use cheat engine for the speed hack, unless you really like to see your little locomotive advance through the empty void of space for hours, doing the same path you have done a dozen times before, as if the experience was going to be different on the 13th time. I commented before you move slightly faster than in Sunless Sea, but what I didn’t say is that the total map area has increased, so things are further apart, so the increased speed doesn’t really help as you still are in the same situation than in Sunless Sea.

---

I finally have a fancy train, the most expensive from London with a tier 3 engine.

It looks cool but it has a bitch of inertia in the handling.

Continuing with my UI complaints, how hard would have been to include the related quests in the mouseover box of the locations

One more thing, what's the deal with your soul? does the 'flaws' you can gain are gameplay-affecting? Even looking at the wiki isn't clear to me.

Something I also wanted to comment since the start: the writing is good but...
sometimes the writing goes too far in the super-micro prose style leaning heavily on implications and in being totally obscure, so much that in the end there has been a few times in a event where I didn't know what really happened, in the most basic manner.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I didn't know what really happened, in the most basic manner.
Failbetter.txt

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Turin Turambar posted:

One more thing, what's the deal with your soul? does the 'flaws' you can gain are gameplay-affecting? Even looking at the wiki isn't clear to me.
Soul flaws can affect your interactions with entities who care about that kind of stuff. Usually, but not always, devils.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Obvious, in hindsight.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The clockwork sun is easily the best setpiece in the game. Love it and everything to do with it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

They did such a Stellar job on it, whoever had the idea to make the layers alternate between rotating clockwise and counter-clockwise was truly under the spell of a muse

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

One thing I do miss from Sunless Sea is the expanses. You’re rarely all that far from shore in Sunless Skies, or at least, in the first two zones. Does that change in Eleuthera or the Blue Kingdom?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Eleuthera is somewhat more open/empty that the other zones,. Blue Kingdom is like the others.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

I have been meaning to complete my Song of the Sky Ambition to get my first win. I remembered I had needed something to finish it (at one point had it but had traded it away), but couldn't remember what. I was in Eleutheria and was having trouble figuring it out from the menus, so was looking at my crew and realised the Princess wanted to go to Piranesi, so did my first trip there and looked behind me, and got stuck. Did make it out but died on the way back to Pan, so reloaded and then headed all the way back to London for the Princess, figuring I'd figure out what I needed from the quest when I got there. Transit was via the Reach because I forgotten that I'd completed the Albion/Eleutheria relay storyline. Remembering why I was getting so burned out on the game - the long fetch quests.

Got to London and it turns out I was missing the Captivating Treasure, which is available in... Pan. :argh:

At least I can take the shortcut this time.

Game's still pretty as hell.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Funny, I picked the game up recently and also continued my Song of the Sky ambition. I had been stuck on the first achievement, as while I had successfully accomplished some of the stuff i could write about, none of it felt cool enough for me to actually articulate.

Then I saw one that was definitely worthwhile. “Enemy of the Gods!”

Unfortunately, there’s still more cantos to write, and, uh, all those gods are still angry at me. Wish me luck!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I have been meaning to complete my Song of the Sky Ambition to get my first win. I remembered I had needed something to finish it (at one point had it but had traded it away), but couldn't remember what. I was in Eleutheria and was having trouble figuring it out from the menus, so was looking at my crew and realised the Princess wanted to go to Piranesi, so did my first trip there and looked behind me, and got stuck. Did make it out but died on the way back to Pan, so reloaded and then headed all the way back to London for the Princess, figuring I'd figure out what I needed from the quest when I got there. Transit was via the Reach because I forgotten that I'd completed the Albion/Eleutheria relay storyline. Remembering why I was getting so burned out on the game - the long fetch quests.

Got to London and it turns out I was missing the Captivating Treasure, which is available in... Pan. :argh:

At least I can take the shortcut this time.

Game's still pretty as hell.

You can get Captivating Treasures from Guest-occupied dreadnoughts in Albion

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

nrook posted:

Funny, I picked the game up recently and also continued my Song of the Sky ambition. I had been stuck on the first achievement, as while I had successfully accomplished some of the stuff i could write about, none of it felt cool enough for me to actually articulate.

Then I saw one that was definitely worthwhile. “Enemy of the Gods!”

Unfortunately, there’s still more cantos to write, and, uh, all those gods are still angry at me. Wish me luck!

Think I did that one too!

ThaumPenguin posted:

You can get Captivating Treasures from Guest-occupied dreadnoughts in Albion

Yeah, I wound up hunting the Reach for Guests rather than going back to Eleutheria - was also running low on cash so pulled some items out of the bank (I had a habit of buying whatever was on "special" when it came up so I'd be ready when prospects came up) and did a few trading runs while I was out and about.

Forgot how tough the Guests are compared to regular Tackities, fortunately there was already a Ministry Monitor* attacking it. Between the two of us we made short work of it, and I got the Captivating Treasure first go.

I've now got to liquidate as much of the "doesn't carry over" stuff as I can; never actually got around to buying the Moloch so need to save up for that. '

*The Ministry, hours, etc thing seems really undercooked - I think they had a great setup for a plot/game mechanic there but it's basically barely there in the background.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Decided to replay this since I loved sunless sea and only finished the Fame ambition. Going for The Truth with the self imposed rule that I'm not going to check the wiki once, since it makes things a little too checklist-y

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
You're in luck, in that the wiki for this game most likely came after the decline of the concept of wiki itself so like 90% of it is machine generated from datamining the game and is totally unhelpful.

Very close to an old school adventure game experience in general, due to how niche it is and how few people have put up guides.

Also I'm playing through the truth right now too! :hfive:
It is super cool and it's some of the best game storytelling I ever saw

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 4, 2024

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
My last play through was finishing The Truth, its really good; though The Blue Kingdom is annoying enough to deal with I cheated by following the wiki in some conversations. Some of those skill checks requiring Moments of Inspiration or Searing Enigmas would be really annoying to flounder and redo when you barely get any during the game (I forget the specific possessions, but they were rare and not easily farmable).

My next one will have to be the secret one, The Martyr-King's Cup

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Decided to replay this since I loved sunless sea and only finished the Fame ambition. Going for The Truth with the self imposed rule that I'm not going to check the wiki once, since it makes things a little too checklist-y

I want to do another playthrough (sat around ready to finish the Write the Song of the Sky ambition for ages before finally doing it and retiring my captain) but I no longer have a PC capable of running it. I do have the Switch version which I think I bought solely to support the devs when it was on a bit of a discount, but I don't wanna start completely over and do all that grinding again.

While definitely a flawed game, I really liked it.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I have taken a sip from the Cup and found it worth the price of time, took a damned lot of that time at the end but I love this stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Man I forgot what assholes the Eaters of the Dead are. Not just for nearly killing me every time I pass by one but more because the rewards for killing them are so lovely